Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

Just watched it, very impressed so far, the overal feel of the game is just great. dont like the blood effect though, hope this is just wip. Now i am excited about this game and it looks so much more than just an upgrade to arma as people keep saying notworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

Parts of it was great and other parts we ok, but still far better then the previous one (From 505?).

Great work, can't wait to get my hands on this game. smile_o.gif

Parts of it was great and other parts we ok, but still far better then the previous one (From 505?).

Great work, can't wait to get my hands on this game. smile_o.gif

The 505 Trailer was just a smaller version of this one, since the same scenes appear in both trailers.

Nevertheless, it was great! biggrin_o.gif The end gave me some goold old 1985 feeling back, finally some story again biggrin_o.gif

That dog in the beginning kind of freaks me out whenever I watch it. I really like the ending after all the logos though when they're in the warehouse.

Did anyone notice the pond behind the house when Team Razor gets in the UH-1 and takes off? Does that mean that water can be at higher elevations now?

That house seems to collapse a bit too fast.

That part with the slow motion bullet kind of makes me wonder why the two guys next to him don't move.

After watching the trailer I must say I am excited about Arma II. If the base game looks and feels this good, I cant wait til our Mod community gets its hands on it.

Lookign great, im really sure that ArmA2 will be a blast.

Only really bad looking thing were these "good" old ArmA dead anims... horror.

Shadow NX:

Yup. This should be a extremely easy "fix" though.

If I had a nice motion cap studio like BI, I'm sure I could find over one thousand ways to pretend dieing.

Actually, that sounds pretty fun biggrin_o.gif

It's looking like ARMA 2 is better than most thought it would be, not a revamp but more of a reinvention of an old friend. I too have to say, I'm impressed with the video feel. The animals like the Alsatian dog is a massive plus, giving rise to a new thread. I remember the old maps in Arma1 with the dog sounds and wished I would see the dam thing and silence it, now it will be reality.

But the impressiveness of ARMA 2 does not just go to a point and stop it looks like BIS have done as much as they can in the time scale and implemented ideas/ developments by the community from ARMA 1 too, I do like that they have embraced the community in this way and implanted the ideas, With so much more in the std package for ARMA2 I'm drolling on the possibilities for addons & mods/ missions for ARMA2.

Nice one BIS & all the community that has supported the Series.

xmas_o.gif  Merry Christmas.....

edit: spelling wink_o.gif

Lookign great, im really sure that ArmA2 will be a blast.

Only really bad looking thing were these "good" old ArmA dead anims... horror.

Hopefully this time around we will get slower dieing animations. For example, with headshots the enemy would simply fall, but limb shots he'd fall on his hands and knees, cough or scream in pain, before becoming weak and falling down.

That dog in the beginning kind of freaks me out whenever I watch it. I really like the ending after all the logos though when they're in the warehouse.

Did anyone notice the pond behind the house when Team Razor gets in the UH-1 and takes off? Does that mean that water can be at higher elevations now?

That house seems to collapse a bit too fast.

That part with the slow motion bullet kind of makes me wonder why the two guys next to him don't move.

Even in ArmA1 they move, so I think they told them to not do anything at all times.

Hopefully this time around we will get slower dieing animations. For example, with headshots the enemy would simply fall, but limb shots he'd fall on his hands and knees, cough or scream in pain, before becoming weak and falling down.

While I agree that it is not the best depiction of reality for people do die instantaneously due to any wound anywhere on their body (including their feet and shins), having some drawn out animation I think wouldn't make it any better. The brevity of the death animations help to alleviate some of the 'canned' feeling that a finite number of pre-animated sequences give.

"Oh look, he's dying by death animation number 11 again. Yeah, there he goes, crying about his gut... now he reaches... then collapses... twitching in 3, 2, 1, twitch."

You get the message.

While I agree that it is not the best depiction of reality for people do die instantaneously due to any wound anywhere on their body (including their feet and shins), having some drawn out animation I think wouldn't make it any better.  The brevity of the death animations help to alleviate some of the 'canned' feeling that a finite number of pre-animated sequences give.  

"Oh look, he's dying by death animation number 11 again.  Yeah, there he goes, crying about his gut... now he reaches... then collapses... twitching in 3, 2, 1, twitch."  

You get the message.

Heheh, reminds me of good old Goldeneye. You would always be able to tell when the bad guys died with the really really really long death animation, and therefore could use their corpses as mag dump practice while they writhed.

While I agree that it is not the best depiction of reality for people do die instantaneously due to any wound anywhere on their body (including their feet and shins), having some drawn out animation I think wouldn't make it any better.  The brevity of the death animations help to alleviate some of the 'canned' feeling that a finite number of pre-animated sequences give.  

"Oh look, he's dying by death animation number 11 again.  Yeah, there he goes, crying about his gut... now he reaches... then collapses... twitching in 3, 2, 1, twitch."  

You get the message.

Heheh, reminds me of good old Goldeneye. You would always be able to tell when the bad guys died with the really really really long death animation, and therefore could use their corpses as mag dump practice while they writhed.

Neck Shot Neck Shot!

Bleeding soldiers need the wilhelm scream constantly looping... What is this a horror game? comon.

If there is a wounding feature and the possibility to drag soldiers then id think they should scream or at least make some sounds that indicate where they are so you can come to their aid.

Kinda like with SLX for ArmA, worked nicely there.

Damn ARMA 2 looks simply great..a must buy game for 2009.. yay.gif

Nice job BIS..i'm very glad that many features that the community was claimig for was showed on that awesome vids.. inlove.gif

hey guys..don't know where to discuss zat but i'm already planning to upgrade my old pc...i'm planning to buy a twintech gforce 9800 512 mb GT XXT for arma 2..will zat hold... huh.gif

New Interview on Armaholic.com

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=4315

Quote[/b] ]....All of them are precisely modeled in great detail, have proper ballistic simulation, tracers, ricocheting, <span style='color:red'>penetration</span>, different kind of ammunition.....

That sounds indeed very promising....

Hope they have added different muzzle-velocity based on different barrel-lengths, as well as "basic projectile weight" - or at least made it possible to mod that, without heavy scripting and to define x-thousand types of magazines for different init-speeds. tounge2.gif

Everything else was already proper made in Arma1 (Ballistics, Air-Friction, damage based on impact speed, basic bullet deflection at fences, etc.)

hehe nice interview, sounds like progress is moving at a good rate.

Just tweaking left now will ensure the gameplay will really be polished.

Mm I like that they have some more static defenses like static AA guns and the extra sides in Warefare for Arma 2 will really add extra interest to warefare. biggrin_o.gif

Wonder if there will be 2,3 or 4 sides to play as at the same time or if you can only play as 2 sides but choose any of the 4 sides or something that was available. smile_o.gif

Hope civilians will be in towns in Warefare mode too so players can gather info from them and stuff, I can really see how gameplay will be more varied now with stuff like that. smile_o.gif

Hope civilians will be in towns in Warefare mode too

As far as I know they are in ArmA2 warfare.

New Interview on Armaholic.com

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=4315

Quote[/b] ]....All of them are precisely modeled in great detail, have proper ballistic simulation, tracers, ricocheting, <span style='color:red'>penetration</span>, different kind of ammunition.....

That sounds indeed very promising....

Hope they have added different muzzle-velocity based on different barrel-lengths, as well as "basic projectile weight" - or at least made it possible to mod that, without heavy scripting and to define x-thousand types of magazines for different init-speeds.  tounge2.gif

Everything else was already proper made in Arma1 (Ballistics, Air-Friction, damage based on impact speed, basic bullet deflection at fences, etc.)

sure, they are simulating the bullets. but the weapons not so much it seems.

Very important wants for weapons:

*deployable bipods that take time to deploy and that substantially reduce recoil PLUS restrict how far you or AI can turn when prone deployed,

* ability to support weapons on walls, sand bags, etc

* bolt action, etc simulated,

* working iron sights for grenade launcher as well as missile launchers

* advanced recoil - more intuitive system please which is defined by more than just guesswork and with more adjustable parameters (caliber, weapon weight, Gas-operated semi-automatic actions, etc) plus new things like ability to recoil left/right as well as up and down.

*weapon sway influenced by weight and time held up to eye (a mp5 can be held up longer and is easier to keep on target vs bigger m240),

Important but a little less so:

* adjustable sights for distance like gmJamez's great mod,

* need to charge/cock weapons when reloading.

* weapon jams based on environment (water, sand, etc)

* proper hand positions on different size/type weapons and proper carrying/firing positions (no to firing pkm like a rifle when standing),

when you start thinking about it the list goes on... and this should be something very important to BIS

lol - they said they are fine tuning the systems still for arma2. maybe one or two of these suggestions get in.

If arma2 is to be the next step up  on infantry combat then it should really model infantry weapons much more than arma did.

arma2 is really looking good.

IIRC (...again) they said every little movable piece on a gun will be animated.

Anyway, I find your suggestion

Quote[/b] ]weapon sway influenced by weight and time held up to eye (a mp5 can be held up longer and is easier to keep on target vs bigger m240)
really interesting ; it could be coupled with the fact there is not (yet?) animations when moving eye to ironsight.

So, when "ironsighting", new anim + tiredness would be a great combo ; and you could play with that, knowing an enemy has been "carrying" his weapon too high for too long, so you can try to take advantage of the situation thumbs-up.gif

But then, every weapon should have weight defined... wow !

Easier to to aim and carry - sure, but when firing a lighter weapon suffers more from recoil than a heavier one.