Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

"..for its intended audience it's unarguably one of the best games to hit the PC in the last decade.":

I was thinking exactly the same. Good review. :)

Yes, it's sadistically difficult and still buggy, but committed gamers can overcome those aspects and recognise the promise that Arma II represents. As for the non-committed players, they probably never stood much of a chance anyway...

Accurate, very.

"..while there are plenty of games that claim to be realistic simulators, Arma II is the only one that actually comes close."

"Yes, it's sadistically difficult and still buggy, but committed gamers can overcome those aspects and recognise the promise that Arma II represents. As for the non-committed players, they probably never stood much of a chance anyway..."

Haha so very true! :D

I cant belive it but there actually seems to exist PC game reviewers that does seem to have a brain.

Wow - finally a great and true review !

I days and weeks of gaming I did not find bugs that could hinder me from enjoying this great game.

Whereas I don't have the attitude of a pure "consumer" who asks that everything is perfect - neither in real life than in the immense virtual world AA2 delivers to us.

Even real life has it's bugs and lags sometimes. ;-)

GameSpot Review: 8.0

I didn't see that posted yet but sorry if it has been. Overall I think it is a good article. The only thing I think they should've mentioned that they didn't was how BI always supports the game with patches.

Edited by Jakerod

As expected, ArmA2 gets high marks. An 8.0 and well deserved for the aspects that work. They do however, complain about bugs. Lots of bugs. Two of their worst points are:

- Buggy campaign is almost unbeatable

- AI drivers should have their licenses revoked

But they go into more description:

"Arma II's single-player experience would be spectacular, if not for all the bugs, which are, sadly, too numerous to list."

I completely agree with this statement. That game would be amazing, if I could actually finish it.

"You'll often spend hours completing an objective, only to find that the game won't acknowledge your accomplishment, forcing you to revert to an earlier saved game and try again. If you try to keep playing after one of these incidents, other bugs can manifest."

Yep, this is how it ends for me every time.

"The most annoying sounds of all are the extremely loud, unsynchronized, overlapping Russian radio broadcasts you'll hear near the Russian border, which produce an unbearable cacophony of gibberish"

What's the deal with that audio, anyways? Hah. I thought my soundcard was messed up when I started hearing that.

Here's the link:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/armaii/review.html?tag=tabs;reviews

Overall I'd say Gamespot nailed it. ArmA2 is a great game, even with as much bitching as I've done about it. My only real complaint is that I can't finish the campaign. Sure there's online, but I buy games first and foremost for the single player or co-op campaign. So I feel I'm entitled to some bitter feelings. :)

GameSpot Review: 8.0

I didn't see that posted yet but sorry if it has been. Overall I think it is a good article. The only thing I think they should've mentioned that they didn't was how BI always supports the game with patches.

I read the article as well. I'm actually very happy on how they wrote it. Overall it seemed like their experience was very positive and rewarding. I hope it pays off and many more will go out and support BIS. For all of Arma2's flaws, an 8.0 (from Gamespot) is the perfect score. Coming from guys who aren't used to seeing AI drive drunk or talk like robots :)

They could have given it a worse score if they focused mainly on it's SP. I'm glad they gave it a well rounded look.

This is already posted in the latest press coverage section. Although your post is a bit more descriptive than mine.

I have yet to buy the game but I am most definitely going to be buying it once I get a few things installed in my computer(tomorrow). I normally do a lot of reading on games before I buy them and Arma2 wasn't an acception. I read multiple reviews that put the game down because of all of the bugs. I almost didnt buy the game until i logged onto the forums and saw all of the user created content that was available. I think that this was left out in some of the reviews that I read and to be honest, changed my view of the game. Bugs or no bugs, having a great community behind a game will make me buy it anyday.

"Arma II's single-player experience would be spectacular, if not for all the bugs, which are, sadly, too numerous to list."

I completely agree with this statement. That game would be amazing, if I could actually finish it.

Then do with i do: Enjoy the SP from the editor. All features work there.

Slovenian gaming magazine "Joker" gave ArmA2 77. (btw they are abit rough with most reviews).

+Exelent realism

+Huge battlefield and lots of gear

+Great Atmosphere

+*Diversification* (just translated the word on google translate so ye its a "huh?" moment) of the story

+Creativity potential

-Weak AI

-Buggyness

-Hard on the edges

"The most annoying sounds of all are the extremely loud, unsynchronized, overlapping Russian radio broadcasts you'll hear near the Russian border, which produce an unbearable cacophony of gibberish"

hehe, yes indeed this is a classic in the campaign. I like the fact that in dialogue it speaks of being near a radio or tv to check the broadcast and yet its triggered like its on a loudspeaker all over the towns.

I was trying to have dialogue with the priest and could not hear a word he was saying with the announcement blaring behind him and standing to talk to him triggered the subtitle text as well for it so couldn't read what the priest was saying either.

A2 has a campaign ?? wha..

15-20 man Co-op missions with close mates / squadies is really how A2 should be reviewed with player made missions, thats what A2 is really about..

A2 has a campaign ?? wha..

15-20 man Co-op missions with close mates / squadies is really how A2 should be reviewed with player made missions, thats what A2 is really about..

Yeah thats great but some of us like to play single player too.

Hi all

CNET has reviewed ArmA and give it an 80% rating

...Despite an infuriatingly buggy single-player campaign and some artificial intelligence driving issues, Arma II is a triumph. From its fascinating, sophisticated, and unscripted battles to the immersive detail of the gameworld, Arma II delivers a wholly unique and uncommonly replayable gaming experience...

http://reviews.cnet.com/pc-games/arma-ii-pc/4505-9696_7-33227053.html?&subj=re

As always follow the link to the original article

Kind Regards walker

If that's what ArmA2 was "really about", there wouldn't be a single player option. I buy games for the campaign, first and foremost. Everything else is icing. So to me, that is the most important feature.

Hi all

Good Game the TV show has done a video Review of ArmA II

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/goodgame/

In the top right video pannel scroll down second video article from the bottom or watch the whole show in the top pannel.

It gets 6.5 out of 10 from one Reviewer the other gives it 9 out of 10.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

It gets 6.5 out of 10 from one Reviewer the other gives it 9 out of 10.

I like that the two reviewers assume the roles of both regular FPS players(6.5/10) and a milsim players(9/10).