Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

I never trust these reviewer scores and im not going to start now.

I like the game but if you ask me its not 8/10 or 9/10 material.

Like i said.. i like the game but its not there yet for me.

I agree on this 100%!

In my opinion as said the game is not YET 8/10 or 9/10.

I truly fell it will be easy a 10/10 with time but not just yet.

Again i say, this game is the most peace of art i ever seen but it does not desert a 8/10 or 9/10 just yet! Its a matter or time and a few patches.

Go BIS! :bounce3:

Well that's the reason why I really like the Eurogamer review, because it focuses on the complexity of the game and as a result of that, it recognizes the obvious problems that arises for this kind of independency, level of ambition and dismisses the bugs as something BI will adress anyway.

Not sure if it was posted in here yet or not, but I picked up a PC Gamer USA earlier on today on my way out of the country.

It got a 5 page review and an 83% score, pretty good. Described as the thinking mans game for the player with some patience.

They point out the same things most of us users do, AI getting stuck, the odd little glitch here and there. But they also point out that much like OFP and ArmA1 not only will BI support it for years to come (we hope, the track record suggests good things) but that both the community and the editor will give endless life to the game. I think its mentioned 3 or 4 times in the review how important these things are and its good to see it getting the press it deserves.

the default blood splash which appears randomly.

6 years and I'm trying to figure out how to make it appear almost everytime by making it less random and I always had to hijack BIS default blood splash by following a scripted Blood Fx.

BIS is trying to keep that to prevent gore exploitation aka SOF2. We demand guts and brains out of dead corpses (even alive ones).

After having carefully checked out ArmA/ArmA 2 series, I noticed the huge increase of scripts use within the game (Just unpbo the main ArmA II files to notice the huge amount of sqs/sqf files).

Which was almost not the case with OFP, I wonder whether this is due to the fact that BIS hasn't got enough of time to hardcode the features they wanted to implement or maybe there are some other reasons we will probably never know.

The problem is that having multiple scripts running simultaneously may cause some huge FPS drops, even if they are .sqf (as the .sqs is kind of outdated).

This is exactly my concern... sigh. I just had a friend of mine report that the game is only using 2 cores, and even setting specific affinities for additional cores adds no increases to FPS, regardless of resolution settings - even with all other settings on lowest possible.

I've played the demo on mine, and the benchmark in the demo came out to 31 FPS with all settings very high at 1280 x 1024 with 100% fill rate... not a measurement that really tells anything, but still...

I wish reviews would incorporate more of a focus on how well the game is executed from a coding / hardware usage stand-point. There's really not a good excuse with the incredible capabilities of hardware today for us to see the type of comments as above by educated members who have followed the development of this software over time...

Where are they? I would really like to read some of them, and maybe watch a video review.

I agree on this 100%!

In my opinion as said the game is not YET 8/10 or 9/10.

I truly fell it will be easy a 10/10 with time but not just yet.

Again i say, this game is the most peace of art i ever seen but it does not desert a 8/10 or 9/10 just yet! Its a matter or time and a few patches.

Go BIS! :bounce3:

You are right if you give points for theoretical ability and/or unfinished things.

If you judge it as it is, 4/10 would be even something where BIS could feel lucky.

But if you consider ArmA 2 as a half finished engine with an undocumented SDK and you give points also for bugged functions then - yes - then 10/10 is of course justified.

Where are they? I would really like to read some of them, and maybe watch a video review.

You should wait for an in depth review from SimHQ, which I'm sure will be much better than the reviews from mainstream sites like IGN, Gamespot, etc.

You should wait for an in depth review from SimHQ, which I'm sure will be much better than the reviews from mainstream sites like IGN, Gamespot, etc.

The review I linked to in this post is also a good, fair review.

French review gave ARMAII an 6 out of 10!

They just said that it could be the best FPS of the moment but due to the bugs the single player is just not playable at this moment (patch 1.02)

The multi is rated as excellent thought.

French review gave ARMAII an 6 out of 10!

They just said that it could be the best FPS of the moment but due to the bugs the single player is just not playable at this moment (patch 1.02)

The multi is rated as excellent thought.

So its 6 out of 10? From what I see the bugs are the main reason why the game doesnt score perfect (9/10-10/10) at almost every review. That proves that this game have HUGE potensial when BIS have sorted out these bugs. Im still waiting for a few more patches before buying it, and I dont think im the only one.

That's the problem with making a game as complex as this. A huge open world game with thousands of different variables from hardware to people is bound to have bugs in it. Every big open world game has had it's fair share of toothing problems.

Who paid them to give us such a high score? ;)

7/10 from Tiscali? :eek:

I guess someone finally showed them the pics of BIS staff members holding assault rifles and sitting on tanks...

7/10 from Tiscali is like 9.9/10 from a proper reviewer :)

7/10 from Tiscali is like 9.9/10 from a proper reviewer :)

;) i agree! Its a fair note for what was made already. :rolleyes:

wooohoo!! Arma 2 is the number one on the weekly top sellers on steam!!

Yep ,A very good read.

thanks for that.

Regards.

Thomas C.

Not sure if it's been posted already, but here's the Bit-Tech review.

Here.