Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

On that screen upper-right corner, is that isla-duala?

I played it quite some time in WarfareBE and other missions, but can't remember it looking like this. Looks more like "quesh-kiribul" (or however its named) :D

Hi guys,

I've just read an article in Level (one of the two leading czech game papermags) and the topic of the article was discussing the educational value of videogames. And how big was my surprise when I discovered that ArmA2 is nothing but an American propaganda forcing player to kill "Soviets?" And ArmA2:Operation Arrowhead is another of those games where you invade "an evil country" to spread freedom? As opposed to CoD:MW1/2, where the developers "toned down the nationalism a bit."

Did any of you guys had the same feeling when playing it? I sure didn't. I am neither pro-Russian nor pro-American and hate propaganda or crazy redneck patriotism in games, but I didn't find any amounts of it in ArmA2.

And just to comment on the author, his name is Aleš Smutný and he made a review of "the game we shall not speak about" and gave it a rating of 9/10 saying it is (roughly translated quote): "Excellent FPS, a soldier simulation, that goes well in it's predecessor's footsteps and provides a hardcore and tactical action, where you really need to think, not just shoot madly". <link to Dragon Rising review removed, his are the BI Forums not the CM ones>.

To mods: If you don't consider it press coverage, feel free to move it to offtopic.

Edited by W0lle
typos

Speaking of Level , ArmA 2 got a 8.1/10 in the Romanian issues of Level last December I think . The reviewer appreciated it and gave it a lot of pro's .

And just to comment on the author, his name is Aleš Smutný and he made a review of "the game we shall not speak about" and gave it a rating of 9/10 saying it is (roughly translated quote): "Excellent FPS, a soldier simulation, that goes well in it's predecessor's footsteps and provides a hardcore and tactical action, where you really need to think, not just shoot madly". (review - czech language)

Meh... it's his review . If he was or wasn't "encouraged" to give it a big score we will never know .

Hi guys,

I've just read an article in Level (one of the two leading czech game papermags) and the topic of the article was discussing the educational value of videogames. And how big was my surprise when I discovered that ArmA2 is nothing but an American propaganda forcing player to kill "Soviets?" And ArmA2:Operation Arrowhead is another of those games where you invade "an evil country" to spread freedom? As opposed to CoD:MW1/2, where the developers "toned down the nationalism a bit."

That's ridiculous, especially, or perhaps because of, the MW comparison.

However...

The Chernarus plotline clearly takes inspiration from a number of real-world situations, but rearranges the elements so that the Russians are completely in the wrong. You can't really read the situation as the South Zagoria people and the Chedaki being a disenfranchised minority population possibly mistreated by a nationalist state, because the game calls them "settlers." What the heck are "settlers," in Eastern Europe? The Russians in the Crimea aren't called "settlers."

And Russia's peacekeeping operation is predicated on a conspiracy, with the usual renegade Spetsnaz general (what is it with Russian officers going bonkers and how come the U.S. only gets renegade generals in movies like Dr. Strangelove?) in a plot to dominate poor little Chernarus.

And you can, as if by magic, rehabilitate NAPA as an organization and cleanse it of its past war crimes and atrocities by killing its leader.

Awesome news thanks for sharing, if anyone can get us a pic/scan of that we'll be mightily appreciative :)

PC Gamer: March 2010

Arma 2: Most PC game of 2009

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/4883/pcgamer2010arma2.jpg

This is a screenshot of a PDF. so resolution is pretty low

The full PDF is available on a certain well known site "TPB"

Something that got buried in the OA thread:

zomgdelta.jpg

scaled.php?server=291&filename=art1e.jpg&res=galscaled.php?server=687&filename=art2b.jpg&res=gal

Click for bigger.

Surprised nobody has really mentioned this yet.

Is it ok to post OA stuff here?

Yeah, I'm a little concerned about reading that...

How many missions did Harvest Red have? :butbut:

Yeah, I'm a little concerned about reading that...

Depends on the mission. If all missions are the same as e.g. Manhattan the campaign should be fine in playtime, if they leave out the bugs that is. Talk about instant scripted sniper death.

But as the same guy who had lead on Red Harvest is now working on the OA campaign I'm afraid I'm rightly biased about it and rely on "community testers" before trying out the campaign.

The same dude? Ohh no....I hope for more Manhattan like Missions too

Harvest Red was great but it clearly ended too soon. When I thought the campaign was getting to the best atmosphere then it suddently ended with two weak and laggy missions. Those two had some good moments in too with great story but warfare isnt fun to play in single player at all. It dosent feel realistic/fun to capture the half empty villages by standing next to "copy/paste"-fortresses and waiting for a colored bar to mark the area as captured.

I wish that OA will have some Manhattan like missions but also a smaller OFP style missions which concentrate on smaller map area but with more dense details and player leading basic 10 men infantry group that could die without mission failing.

But I cant wait the get more info about OA.

I've gotta agree with saok.

I really didn't like the warfare stuff in singleplayer, kinda of ruined it for me personally. Most of the campaign was fun though and a few of the single player missions I really liked (the first one and eye for an eye).

However, does everyone remember how fun every singleplayer mission in OFP was? Each one was great in its own way (from steal the car to battlefields), I hope they bring that back and make missions like that. Thats why I am grateful someone brought over the original missions from OFP.

I liiike! :yay: It's about time they released the hype monster, let it loose!

I gotta say I think BIS is really gonna hit the nail on the head this time (after over 10 years of development xD)

Here's one little nag I gotta say before it's too late,

zzoabradley.jpg

the bradley has the same viewholes as the BMP3 in ARMA2, they aren't terribly useful in first-person because you can't actually see what's infront of you unless you switch to 'direct view' which looks pretty ugly and takes away a lot of the immersion which you would get if you could virtually see 'outside - from the inside'. Here's what I mean:

blurrywindows2.jpg

Hope it gets sorted out, that's the only (constructive) negative I have so far^^.

I also gotta say that I was really surprised when I saw the SCAR with the thermal attachment:

zzoascar.jpg

really didn't expect that. BIS I love you!

I can just imagine myself sitting in a bush at night in some mountains in warfare looking for any heat being given-off, then pulling out my laser-designator and informing my buddy of his new feast! - or if i'm in a high-tech mood I can go for the more expensive uav-drone method :cool:

-That gets me thinking, how easily can the AI spot the uav drone?

Flash Thunder, you wanted FLIR pics; here ya go!

zzoathermal.jpg

Edited by SASrecon

thanks for the scan. some predicable stuff, and one suprise! maybe well get weapon jams!