Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

Who decides if there is a copy protection like securom? The publisher does decide? -> okay apparently the publisher does

And does anybody know where the event of yesterday was? London?-> yeah right i read it right now on armedassault.info :)

I appreciate it that BIS grants "community employees" a special look at ArmA 2, that is really exemplary and to appreciate!

Edited by telejunky

The publisher decides about the copy protection.

Yeah but what about time? If you want to reinstall ArmA 2 past several years the activationserver may be down; or two installations within 1 week? I probably will install arma 2 before i set up my new system and then i will reinstall windows...imagine ofp would have some sort of this activation and it is still played by an amount of gamers. I hope a future patch or something else will disable these gags like Ofp with 1.96 and ArmA with 1.09beta

Like other games with this system of limited installations they have a "de-activation" system. If you re-install your OS or need to re-install the game for some reason you just "de-activate" your activation, and your activation is saved. So now you still got 3 activations. Every activation can be de-activated. An activation is removed when you change hardware (heres the protection from copying the game and give it free to others wich will definatelly have other hardware than you, and stop working pretty fast). So if you change pc completelly your down to 2 activations. Now if you need to reinstall that new pc you just de-activate ArmA2 again and you still have 2 activations left etc. I know other games with this system have even given out new activations if the customer can prove he/she baught the game, and explained why all activations are gone. IF we get the limited installations just remember to de-activate when re-installing the game or OS.

And i know its not the best of things for us serious gamers that pay for our games, but its not as bad as most thinks. I hope myself its just online activation and not limited installs, but when you have the game installed youll hopefully forget everything about the copy protection cause ArmA2 will hump your mind. :)

*I dont know if there is limited installs or not*

Alex

Yea if it ever came down to the 3 installs again, you could totally say good bye to me. To think of how many times I've had to call and reactivate my digits because of problems with ether the game or my OS. It's one of the reasons I stopped playing Arma for 4-6 months - I didn't want to take the extra time out to get bloody new activations.

Any of the fans/community members that went to 505 press event yesterday done any previews?

I like Live For Speeds activation code system, where you have two activation codes tied to your online account, which is refreshed every week so that you always have two codes available each week. Never had any problems with that despite numerous reinstalls. Not that we will see that in ArmA2 since it's the developers own system and not something Securom is likely to use, but still.

I'm wondering, anyone that's been playing games with Securom and online activation, is it required to be connected at all times even when playing singleplayer, for verifications sake or whatever, or is it sufficient to be connected once when activating it?

I'm wondering, anyone that's been playing games with Securom and online activation, is it required to be connected at all times even when playing singleplayer, for verifications sake or whatever, or is it sufficient to be connected once when activating it?

Just when activating it.

BIS will possibly release a patch sometime that removes copy protection, like they did with ArmA and OFP. But that wont be any time soon.

That depends on agreements with publishers though. And it's just a guess.

see if activity has occurred in an area as grass remains flattened when trampled by other troops and vehicles.

a subtle change to arma.. but that sounds awesome.

Nice to know for those who order it from Germany:

Some of you will be interested to know that the German release in May will not be as complete as the version due to be released by 505 Games on the 19th June. There will not be an option for English language in the first German version as found with the original German release of Arma 1. So my advice is hang on for just over two weeks and you will have the English version and be able to enjoy the full experience of Arma 2 as Bohemia Interactive intended
Edited by Bush

Sounds like ArmA 2 has shaped up quite nicely.

I saw someone else flying a lynx and a very cool...

He must mean the Huey?

There's a screen in the screen pack that shows a marine holding a SMAW properly. It looks pretty neat.

the surrounding areas are not sky domes as suggested in some forum discussions, but a never ending, randomly generated landscape. While randomly generated hills and towns appear before you, your team mates and opponents will see the same landscape detail as you in the same gaming session, so no continuity will be lost.

Nice !

Thanks for the videos Bush. That new ocean is a huge improvement !

Impressive !

Edited by sk3pt

Infinite randomly generated terrain and towns (IRGTT)?? And everybody sees the same thing?!?! Talk about awesome! No break of the virtual reality.

Reactive animals, AI, effects of someone's presence over time (flattened grass). More than simple medical treatment? (After watching my kids play 'Cooking mama' on the DS, I want to make a 'Medic mama' mod for field trauma. What's the MoS code? lol)

Sounds like you've done it BIS... And no mention at all of a crash or bug from the crazed press event? Well done.

...and this solution don't kill our hardware?

@Bush

Thanks for the video links! :)

I've only watched the first 2 vids so far, but from what I can tell the visuals in the game are pretty awesome, the ocean especially. Also character movements are much smoother, for example the transitions from standing to crouch to prone and back. Excellent!

great review and the screenies look great..

was watching the guy parachute in one video and was wanting to see his landing to see if trees or buildings would tangle him and the video stopped just seconds before he landed lol.... dammit...

Edited by wingtip

Grass flattening is great..... The scene inside the ruins looked very cool too!

Tanks... well... still reticle is not changing size with zooms, and zoom remains unrealistic...

Its in RL a switch between different magnifications and not a continuously zoom... I was hoping that this could be implemented in the 3rd game after almost one decade, as community was not able to mod it so far, without using massive workarounds....

Sadly we saw nothing about other detail features.....AI battle for instance.... or some footage of tank interiors (if present), optics, flir (if present), etc. would have been awesome...

Speaking of AI, some short footage with placing two opposing infantry squads in the editor and placing yourself as a civilian there would have been nice....

Was it not allowed to try or film this?

Lets see what the german version buyers will film/screen/report in 8 days :p.

Question: Was this version even further developed than the german version?

Probably not as it didn't even have the randomized terrain implemented yet.

Didn't anyone bring a real camcorder?? God..

So what we saw doesn't yet reflect what is being released in Germany, which doesn't reflect what will be released from 505 in Europe.. And I'm blown away from what I've already seen and heard (just that damn Frogfoot cockpit lighting was amazing)

If BIS doesn't get the 'Game of the year' award again, I'll either be really pissed or playing another game that is currently super secret and somehow more revolutionary than this.. Ain't gonna happen.

Grass flattening is great..... The scene inside the ruins looked very cool too!

Tanks... well... still reticle is not changing size with zooms, and zoom remains unrealistic...

Its in RL a switch between different magnifications and not a continuously zoom... I was hoping that this could be implemented in the 3rd game after almost one decade, as community was not able to mod it so far, without using massive workarounds....

Sadly we saw nothing about other detail features.....AI battle for instance.... or some footage of tank interiors (if present), optics, flir (if present), etc. would have been awesome...

Speaking of AI, some short footage with placing two opposing infantry squads in the editor and placing yourself as a civilian there would have been nice....

Was it not allowed to try or film this?

Lets see what the german version buyers will film/screen/report in 8 days :p.

It had been said a long time ago that there will be no offical FCS for tanks, nor do the FLIR, nor do reticle change, so i dont think anyone should bring these kinds of hope even b4 watching the videos.

on the other hand, why ejected pilot still use the square glide chute instead of a round T10C style? and i dont think normal paratroopers will use gliding chute :confused_o:

Edited by 4 IN 1