Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Latest ArmA2 & ArmA2:OA Press Coverage | NO discussion here!

505 London press event, from armaholic

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5692

Please note this is just a small teaser.

Rock has made a massive preview with lots of interesting data. I am putting it on the website and waiting for some additional data from the official guys. As soon that is all done you will all be able to read our full London Press Event preview :)

i don't really understand the optimal rig.

Anyway it'd be cool to have details on MP game, I found MP in arma to be totally messed (not talking about coop, but PVP)

"Don't Tease Me, Bro!"

you guys should never feed peoples with teaser :D

Edited by 4 IN 1

So what we saw doesn't yet reflect what is being released in Germany, which doesn't reflect what will be released from 505 in Europe.. And I'm blown away from what I've already seen and heard (just that damn Frogfoot cockpit lighting was amazing)

If BIS doesn't get the 'Game of the year' award again, I'll either be really pissed or playing another game that is currently super secret and somehow more revolutionary than this.. Ain't gonna happen.

Hehe! I am close confidant of a Nigerian prince, I will be sending you an e-mail shortly! ;)

On a serious note, I do very much admire your posetive attitude. Let's hope that you are right...

Peace,

DreDay

Edited by DreDay

Work faster!
just a teaser, aw man can't wait for the rest :)

LOL

When its out you will realize it really, really, really is a tiny little bitty teaser :)

And no, I wont work faster!

Anyone know if Foxhound is a sadist, or maybe a crack-whore abusing pimp on the side? :p

Just realizing I need to start an 'Armaholics Anonymous' support group in my area. My day is actually on hold for this info.. I got it baaadd and need a hit of D.C.

C'mon sugar daddy, give it up!! ;)

*Put the forums down and step away from the computer*

4-press_event_header_bisf.png

As many of you will have noticed by now Armaholic was invited to join the Arma 2 press event in London by 505 Games which many of you have been following through the Arma 2 Twitter page.

Armaholic was represented by Rock-RKSL from the RKSL Studios and Foxhound. At the event we also met with barmyarmy, scripter of the Armed Assault Theatre of War tournament.

The preview you will read below has been written by Rock-RKSL, I only added some additional information and text and edited the general layout.

4-arma2_505_press_event_london_19.png4-arma2_505_press_event_london_20.png

Well I could do this like a formal preview with lots of snappy quotes and bite sized facts but I suspect you are all tired of short superficial previews. So you are going to get the facts we know about and my own honest opinions.

I've been playing the OFP/ArmA series since 2001 and modding since 2003 so I like to think I do know the games quite well. Feel free to disagree with my opinions but this is just my perception of what we were shown.

Foxhound invited me along to ask the technical and modding related questions. I've read all the same things as most of you probably have and I admit I had some preconceptions given some of the comments from other reviewers and rumours floating around the community forums. But after listening to the initial demo and explanation given by James and Jan from Bohemia Interactive Studios I was impressed.

Forget the cynical and nay saying reviews. If you know Armed Assault and have played it properly before you will see Arma 2 is a huge improvement over Armed Assault. If you are reading this without ever playing Armed Assault then it may not sound like a greatest game of all time but I would seriously suggest you take a good look at ArmA 2. Its not like any FPS or Tactical shooter out there. Its better.

You can read the complete article here:

505 Games Press Event - London 2009

Edited by Guest

I was a bit dissapointed by the news about the F-35B and Arleigh Burke-class DDG, but overall the preview made me want this game even more.

:)

Thanks for the info, Foxhound!

Edited by Laqueesha

I'm mildly pleased. I only hope the AI has its head screwed on, the X35 doesn't bother me, it's a hideous damn plane anyway.

Thanks Rock and Foxhound! I really hope that the missing mod support possibilities are catered for in the future, perhaps through expansions or whatever. Otherwise this is set to be a truly great game, I hope :)

truly impressive preview thanks for Rock and Foxhound for taking the time to put it all together.

ArmA 2 looks set to be a wonderful game from the start. After such a grand preview the only thing that can make more impressions on me is playing the demo itself, hopefully next week :icon_rolleyes:

Sounds great, can't wait to get my hands on ArmA II. Except for the X-35B and destroyer issue I can't really

think of anything I'm worried about.

PS: In case anyone wonder what the difference is between X-35B and F-35B, read this article (includes comparisons pictures).

Edited by colossus

Great preview. Thx for the effort both of you put into this.

To be honest...I´m curious now :cancan:

Wonder what was meant with that the VTOL wasnt different from ArmA1's harrier except from taking off straight up? Can it land straight down as well in ARMA2? Or with same difficulty as ArmA1?

And yes, awesome review. ARMA2 will be what i hoped for. At least as a modern solid core game. The community will further enhance ARMA2 to great heights and give most of us exactlly what we want in terms of units/vehicles/functions and all the rest. :)

Thanks Fox and Rock!

Alex

Guest RKSL-Rock
72;1287724']Wonder what was meant with that the VTOL wasnt different from ArmA1's harrier except from taking off straight up? Can it land straight down as well in ARMA2? Or with same difficulty as ArmA1?

What i meant by that is that there is no difference in the VTOL between ArmA1 and ArmA2. It works the same way and behaves exactly the same.

Ouch. Really thaught it was better. Dang its not gonna be easy to land then. I cant even land straight down in ArmA1... It takes a long time and a lot of fiddling. Bit dissapointing as they mentioned TRUE VTOL over ArmA1. Maybe not properly in in that version?

Guest RKSL-Rock
72;1287728']Ouch. Really thaught it was better. Dang its not gonna be easy to land then. I cant even land straight down in ArmA1... It takes a long time and a lot of fiddling. Bit dissapointing as they mentioned TRUE VTOL over ArmA1. Maybe not properly in in that version?

The guys i spoke to didnt seem to think it would change. I think its up to the community to make a real VTOL system.

Okay okay, the freefall and all smoke looks great, nice with freelook while you have optics up. But noone asked the most important question:

WHAT ABOUT THE MOVING TRAIN!?!?! :banghead:

The rest doesn't matter, as long as you have a train/helicopter combination it's a win! :shoot:

There wont be moving trains. It was scripted in the NAPA video.

Very good job on the report Rock.

It's a damn good read: fair, balanced and puts the game into context very well. It clarified a lot of the stuff we talked about last night too.

I think we all appreciate the benefit of having the opinion of someone who knows the ins and outs of OFP and ArmA as well as the rest of us. It's clearly given you an edge over other previews in noticing the more subtle differences in the games, like the AI behaviour and overall feel of the game.

Your description of the enhancement of Chernarus' ambience over Sahrani's has certainly given me high hopes for the first time I play through the campaign.

Top work mate. :ok: