Sign in to follow this  
chammy

CSM Betav2 Released!!

Well yeah, i get what you guys mean about the music. I stuck the music in cause imho it fits, death metal or hardcore = death + war is hardcore, not only that, the titles and what the music is about, Love Lost in a Hail of Gunfire, Progencies of the Great Apocolypse, Ramses Bringer of War, Eye For An Eye, Frontlines, Kill to Believe, War Pigs and Hand of DOom. The song, Wicker from CLutch is talking about war or the Civil War. i might leave at least probably the Black Sabbath songs in there and Breaking Benjamin for one of the death scenes and leave the other death scene songs, they are pink Floyd and Alice in Chains and fit well with the death scenes. I just figured some of the music in ArmA was just a little too soft for a war game.

I for one really enjoy the music selection, I hope that you will at least include it as is, maybe in a separate PBO instead of getting rid of it. biggrin_o.gif

yeah. decrease the engine sounds. of tanks and other heavy vehicals. enough taht you can hear from a distance but not too loud. increase small arms. give the Heavy calliber weapons more bass (50 call, russian heavy machine gun). up the missle fireing sounds too.

yeah. decrease the engine sounds. of tanks and other heavy vehicals. enough taht you can hear from a distance but not too loud. increase small arms. give the Heavy calliber weapons more bass  (50 call, russian heavy machine gun). up the missle fireing sounds too.

Hmm, there has to be something with yall's sound system, so far the bass seems fine on my end, I didnt want to turn it up too much or it would be a mess. I checked on both a theatre system of mine with the sub on and off and some cheap Cambrigde speakers and they sound fine. Hmm, well I'm checking into this also.

yeah. decrease the engine sounds. of tanks and other heavy vehicals. enough taht you can hear from a distance but not too loud. increase small arms. give the Heavy calliber weapons more bass  (50 call, russian heavy machine gun). up the missle fireing sounds too.

Hmm, there has to be something with yall's sound system, so far the bass seems fine on my end, I didnt want to turn it up too much or it would be a mess. I checked on both a theatre system of mine with the sub on and off and some cheap Cambrigde speakers and they sound fine. Hmm, well I'm checking into this also.

dont forget about the M16a4 acog issue too smile_o.gif

After a few days of use I really like all the guns sounds much better than CSM1. Also, the jets sound really good.

couple of little things though.  Im not sure I like some of the explosion sounds as much as CSM1.  The Grenade launchers sound fantastic but other explosions like vehicles blowing up dont sound as good to me. Im not sure what explosion sound it is, but there is one that I think is too detailed. you can here metal or somthing falling on the ground and it sounds too repetitive when lots of vehicles are blowing up at short intervals.  Also I miss the old GBU sound, I think that was one of the most impressive explosions I have heard in a game.  It did clip some times though, which is why you removed it I'm guessing.

About the helicopters, they sound really good now, but I can barely hear them until they get very close. This may be intentional for realisim? I dont know, I like being able to hear them comming from a distance though.

One final problem is with the sound of the transport Hummvee (maybe 50cal, tow, mk19 too), the engine is very, very loud compared to the other road vehicles.

The addon is excellent, I think the main problems are just related to volume blancing/tweaking. I really appreciate the work put into it, thank you very much.

P.S. I use XFI extreme music, 5.1 speakers, EAX & H/W accel are switched On.

@ Everyone:

It think you´re creating an unworkable situation for Chammy.

One thinks this volume is too weak, others state that volume is too loud, too much bass, not enough bass etc etc.

I´ve been fiddling a bit with the ´hardware acceleration´ and ´EAX´ in the game menu and have found that these affect sound volume a lot! So, when commenting on this stuff please state your ingame sound settings and your speaker configuration. We might be able to detect a pattern, for instance people not using EAX might complain more about lack of bass than others or vice versa.

hm cant get this to work, it removed all handguns sounds i only have vehicle engine sounds, but nothing else, no missile, turret or any other weapon sounds. I was using the previous chammys s mod, i deleted it and installed this one.

What version do you have of ArmA? The fix will either be out today or tomorrow, we just need to test a few things with it and several testers with other versions of ArmA to make sure its working properly.

Quote[/b] ]Maybe it's an idea to release 2 different versions regarding sound volume? One like this and one with upped volume?

Also, is this meant to be played with Hardware acceleration and EAX on?

We will up teh volume, I will do that also in the wave file itself but I usually have to be care full, the higher the volume, the less percussive and dynamic it will be, any louder and you will get a squashed effect sound. I'd like to raise the volume in certain areas also but I am just using Goldwave, the trial version hahahahah, gosh I'm cheap, well, I do use NTrack and SoundFOrge also. I wish I had the pro stuff, if I could dish out 1,000 bucks. Thats why you will see professionally made sound effects that cost over 100 dollars for a CD and some of the sound effects are manipulated and exaggerated too much. And yes it can be  played with EAX.

Quote[/b] ]

Hmm, you mentioned supporting some different mods/making CSM2 compatible with some different mods right?

Yes, what I mean by compatible is, if the modders are using my sound mod I will have sounds for other weapons and events that they can include the name of the sound into their mods if they do not have a custom weapon/veh sound of their own. Tis very hard to find custom sounds or make them so people will use sounds from other games. Or, if you have an existing addon that uses stock sound you can go into the config and re-assign the sound name to what I have listed in CSM so the sounds do not clash or miss match. Its up to the users liking also.

im running 1.14 patch

Chammy just keep the sound how you like, its your mod, your work. If people dont like it then thats fine by them, they dont have to like it. smile_o.gif

All that you need to worry about is your own tweaking, config fixes etc smile_o.gif

@Matt

Quote[/b] ]Ok, I am jotting down the issues and looking into correcting them. Like mrcash2009, we both have the same version which I think is the International? No, the UK, yes, thats the one I got off of Ebay. So once Binkster gets back online we will start searching for some solutions to the version issues. Maybe we can post some configs that will correct those issues in the software versions , we will just need to know what isnt working, what error messeges are popping up. Like the flare, that might be a simple "soundhit (flare_open)" and "soundfly" problem.

The M16a4, i made sure it worked so the USMC addons would be working with it, but as siad before the Versions of ArmA is the cause.

What I might be able to do as a quick fixer is either post the weapon sound replacements to over right the stock ones, but the only thing with that is the sound mix matching with what ever other sound mod you might have. Or if you all can post the config and issues and the version you have . Maybe Binkster will have a solution.

will report back later

I understood this was a beta release and the above quote ask us to make points to note.....must have read it wrong whistle.gif

Exactly, if he didn't want feedback and only brown-nosing he would have requested such or just said "here's what I give you, like it or lump it". I think we should try to be diplomatic in our critiquing of this release with the utmost yet polite honesty. Chammy knows by releasing, feedback is a part of life and he's been very fair in handling things with a grain of salt and willing to look into some weak areas. That's what a good creator is suppose to do.

I don't think stifling the communities opinion on something for the community makes any sense. I can see not wanting him to get frustrated and walk away, but to say the hell with our opinions when he's been taking them in and looking into things puts up an unnecessary brick wall between the community and Chammy--which both sides have shown thus far not wanting in the least. As long as the person is fair and approaching things in a nice yet honest tone, I don't think they should be kept from giving their honest opinion. Chammy is more than capable of speaking for himself if he doesn't want any feedback than having everyone around him play protective mommy for him. But again, I can see the intent of it and it's understandable.

A recommendation for all those posting formative feedback. PLEASE run vanilla ARMA and nothing else. Problems occur when people have other mods running.

For those those hard of thinking this means removing EVERYTHING from your commandline except -mod=@CSM

Hope this helps.

[TAO] Kremator

hi launch @CSM whith other mod* whithout problem...

*@DBE1;@SIX;@RTEditor;@FX

yeah i dont have a problem either. the guns just need to be louder

The point is not that you can use it with other mods, the point is to be 100% sure no other addon affects the sound or produce the errors you give to chammy. For beta testing its always a good practise to only use the beta mod when errors, or whatever, occure so you know for 100% it is that mod.

So if you have problems, start up only arma and CSM and see if the problems still are there. If they are, post it in this thread. If they are not try to see what other addon conflicts and post it here. That way chammy gets better feedback and can easier find the problems.

Well I tried it a second time but instead without Queen's Gambit and the M16A4 problem is still there, so it's not an addon conflict. To those saying you have no problems - have you actually tried the M16A4s out and did you have the same issue? Because I can't see how my vanilla ArmA would be different from anyone else's vanilla ArmA since v1.14 is a universal patch (which this mod requires anyways)...

Hey Chammy, nice work.

The more I play, the more I appreciate how much v2 surpasses the first release - awesome.

Now for some bug fixes and feedback!!

Thanks to Wolle for pointing out some of the glitches:

German 1.14 here, same problems as the others (and as said in my PM).

Same goes for the "Cannot load sound 'csm_sounds\bullets<span style='color:red'>\\</span>bullet_whizz.wss'" bug.

For those that haven't already, the fix for this is to correct the entry in file: @CSM\addons\CSM_cfg\CSM\ammo.csm

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

change line 7 from:

soundFly[] = {"\CSM_Sounds\bullets\\bullet_whizz", db-30, 1};

to:

soundFly[] = {"\CSM_Sounds\bullets\bullet_whizz.wss", db-30, 1};

Note: .wss file extension added for consistency, but you also need to rename the file:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

@CSM\addons\CSM_Sounds\bullets\bullet_whizz

to:

@CSM\addons\CSM_Sounds\bullets\bullet_whizz.wss

to fix the issue (I expect ArmA is looking for .wss file extension).

Quote[/b] ]And two more I just found:

Cannot find a sound file csm_sounds\east\weapons\pkt_r.wss

Cannot find a sound file csm_sounds\west\weapons\xp_building.wss

Well except of the last, I fixed all the bugs for myself now.  whistle.gif

For error:

edit file: @CSM\addons\CSM_cfg\CSM\eastweapons.csm

and remark '//' the reload sound definition:

class PKT : MGun {

sound[] = {"\CSM_Sounds\East\weapons\PKT.wss", db-10, 1};

// reloadMagazineSound[] = {"\CSM_Sounds\East\weapons\PKT_r.wss", db-95, 1};

soundContinuous = 0;

};

The final one:

edit file: @CSM\addons\CSM_cfg\Config.cpp

and for class DestrHouse, change the path to sound file xp_building.wss as follows:

class DestrHouse {

sounds[] = {"DestrHouse1", "DestrHouse2"};

name = "$STR_CFG_SFX_DestrHouse";

DestrHouse1[] = {"\CSM_Sounds\misc\xp_building.wss", db-10, 1, 0.5, 60, 120, 240};

DestrHouse2[] = {"\CSM_Sounds\misc\xp_building.wss", db-10, 1, 0.5, 60, 120, 240};

empty[] = {"", 0, 0, 0, 1, 5, 20};

};

My setup is Creative SB X-Fi with SennHeiser HD 650 headphones.

ArmA has hardware & EAX enabled and I also experience quiet weapon sounds and loud vehicle sounds.

It has to be said your vehicle sounds are the best replacements I've come across (with the exception of the Cobra and UH-60 for which I prefer stock), but I would prefer the balance towards combat as that benefits immersion the most.

Finally I've a few sounds that I've captured/mixed myself that I would appreciate you reviewing. imo they complement your work and add that extra touch of realism.

Hey Chammy, nice work.

The more I play, the more I appreciate how much v2 surpasses the first release - awesome.

Now for some bug fixes and feedback!!

Thanks to Wolle for pointing out some of the glitches:

German 1.14 here, same problems as the others (and as said in my PM).

Same goes for the "Cannot load sound 'csm_sounds\bullets<span style='color:red'>\\</span>bullet_whizz.wss'" bug.

For those that haven't already, the fix for this is to correct the entry in file: @CSM\addons\CSM_cfg\CSM\ammo.csm

change line 7 from:

soundFly[] = {"\CSM_Sounds\bullets\\bullet_whizz", db-30, 1};

to:

soundFly[] = {"\CSM_Sounds\bullets\bullet_whizz.wss", db-30, 1};

Note: .wss file extension added for consistency, but you also need to rename the file:

@CSM\addons\CSM_Sounds\bullets\bullet_whizz

to:

@CSM\addons\CSM_Sounds\bullets\bullet_whizz.wss

to fix the issue (I expect ArmA is looking for .wss file extension).

Quote[/b] ]And two more I just found:

Well except of the last, I fixed all the bugs for myself now.  whistle.gif

For error:

edit file: @CSM\addons\CSM_cfg\CSM\eastweapons.csm

and remark '//' the reload sound definition:

class PKT : MGun {

sound[] = {"\CSM_Sounds\East\weapons\PKT.wss", db-10, 1};

// reloadMagazineSound[] = {"\CSM_Sounds\East\weapons\PKT_r.wss", db-95, 1};

soundContinuous = 0;

};

The final one:

edit file: @CSM\addons\CSM_cfg\Config.cpp

and for class DestrHouse, change the path to sound file xp_building.wss as follows:

class DestrHouse {

sounds[] = {"DestrHouse1", "DestrHouse2"};

name = "$STR_CFG_SFX_DestrHouse";

DestrHouse1[] = {"\CSM_Sounds\misc\xp_building.wss", db-10, 1, 0.5, 60, 120, 240};

DestrHouse2[] = {"\CSM_Sounds\misc\xp_building.wss", db-10, 1, 0.5, 60, 120, 240};

empty[] = {"", 0, 0, 0, 1, 5, 20};

};

My setup is Creative SB X-Fi with SennHeiser HD 650 headphones.

ArmA has hardware & EAX enabled and I also experience quiet weapon sounds and loud vehicle sounds.

It has to be said your vehicle sounds are the best replacements I've come across (with the exception of the Cobra and UH-60 for which I prefer stock), but I would prefer the balance towards combat as that benefits immersion the most.

Finally I've a few sounds that I've captured/mixed myself that I would appreciate you reviewing. imo they complement your work and add that extra touch of realism.

All of the above bugs have been fixed we are just wanting info on volume levels...

Well Aircraft and tanks can beheard from across half the island..

Then i didnt really have a problem with normal sounds.

Any server keys?

Well, I make it simple for ya.. .

I'm totaly new to this gametype, so go easy on me help.gif

- Do I need a server key to have this addon on my server?!

I've tryed to run BRARealsound and HIFI etc. but no one seams to work. Then I find CSM and I figure to give it a try.. .then it didn't have a server key. God damn, why the hell cant I get those addons to work!

CSM seams to be the shit, every ones talking about how good it is! Any ybers out there who can help a freaking noob a bit, this starts to kill me.

You'll only need the server key for the .bisign file, which this version doesn't have. It should work if you throw it into the addons folder of your server unless you've got it set up to only allow certain mods by using their respective .bikey files, in which case you will need it if you continue doing that.

Yes, we will have a Key made as soon as we release the corrected Beta. Sorry for the delay guys. Binkster has been busy lately and I have been bed ridden. I think I got salmonella poisoning, seems every time I move a certain way in bed my stomach burns like I 'm getting a crochet needle stuck into my stomach, its very painful, so I am stuck here with a bottle of Pepto Bismol, some ginger ale and crackers and a temperature. I cooked a chicken but didnt cook it all the way through, then to make it worse the next day I didnt put it into the frig. Then my dumb ass grabbed a piece from the pan and ate, its been pretty warm here. That might explain it all.  help.gif  crazy_o.gif

Any server keys?

Well, I make it simple for ya.. .

I'm totaly new to this gametype, so go easy on me  help.gif

- Do I need a server key to have this addon on my server?!

I've tryed to run BRARealsound and HIFI etc. but no one seams to work. Then I find CSM and I figure to give it a try.. .then it didn't have a server key. God damn, why the hell cant I get those addons to work!

CSM seams to be the shit, every ones talking about how good it is! Any ybers out there who can help a freaking noob a bit, this starts to kill me.

There are some servers that do not have a key checker so you should be able to play on them wink_o.gif