Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Arma feedback thread - based on 1.14

Daniel @ July 09 2008,16:41)]Or even better, give each unit a menu bar underneath "skill" in the editor for mission makers to choose. That way we can decide who's a deadeye, who's never picked up a gun before, and everything in between.

And maybe get rid of "skill" all together and just have one bar for accuracy and one for rate of fire.

So that unskilled AI will spray everywhere on full auto and elite professional AI will take precise, considered shots.

But then you can also have units that will shoot like mad fairly accurately, and units that may take their time but still can't hit shit.  smile_o.gif

this is something i really agree with!  smile_o.gif

But not something that BIS agree with sad_o.gif

Mission editors already have an easy way to set skill for units:

setskill @ community.bistudio.com

We really can't have give sliders for all hundreds of options, out built in scripting language is the way to do such things.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought setSkill array was not implemented, and that only setSkill was functional.

That certainly is a command I'd love to see working though!

That certainly is a command I'd love to see working though!

Second that!

A working "setSkill array" command would open up more interesting scripting abilities.

/KC

Then there should also be a getSkill array command to go with it....

Or the existing one modified to return the array.

I know it has been said many times, but can I please get my full working aircraft throttle control back?

It's horror to land an aircraft without having real control over the engine power.

I'm flying with joystick btw.

MfG Lee crazy_o.gif

BUG

When playing a single player mission on South Sharani island and returning to the main menu because of death or by pressing Esc, the "CNN bomber flight cam" island intro will be played. It's using this new black&white thermal image pixel shader.

Should you decide to "Resume" to the single player mission on South Sharani island from this game state, the black&white pixel shader will be applied to that mission. It's so bright at daytime, that you won't be able to see much.

Workaround: Start up the editor with a different island before resuming to the single player mission you were up to play.

Which idiot decided to remove "Engine off" action in AI menu through radio commands?!

in ofp you could order your ai to turn the engine off without exiting the vehicle, and here you cant.

why and is there any cure for that (in the future)?

Why:

"Engine off" is redundant on ArmA tanks because turning the turret always starts the main engine and the ai will turn it sooner or later.

IIRC ai in wheeled vehicles will shut off the engine automatically after a short while.

I do prefer the OFP way of handling this, too.  wink_o.gif

Since 1.14 my game freeze at least every 3rd mp mission (bezerk or warfare) and I have to close ArmA over the Task Manager. This is the first version I have this kind of problem with. The second problem is that people get kick out of mp games a lot because "the battle eye client did not respond" ....

Which idiot decided to remove "Engine off" action in AI menu through radio commands?!

in ofp you could order your ai to turn the engine off without exiting the vehicle, and here you cant.

why and is there any cure for that (in the future)?

You think you are soo cool by calling the devs "idiots" eh?

I tell you that you are not, by throwing in insults you just disqualified yourself.

And in the same post you ask for a fix from the same devs you called idiots...

icon_rolleyes.gif

For AI accuracy - go to your XXX.ArmAProfile and edit this line

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"> precisionEnemy=0.600000;

BI, FOR THE LOVE OF YOUR CUSTOMERS, PLEASE MAKE THIS AN OPTION IN THE DIFFICULTY MENU AND LOWER IT BY DEFAULT IN ALL YOUR NEXT GAMES/PATCHES AND HIGHER THE AI SKILL SETTINGS.

Thank you.

True. If the enemy AI have bigger precision its more enjoyable. Extreme AI turns off new players and frustrates old until the settings are changed.

Also if you would have implemented a lower AI precision someone would figure out that its possible to make AI harder smile_o.gif That would been a positive and cool thing to find out for new players.

So using low settings as default doesnt scare away casual gamers and its a more positive experience to be able to turn up the AI difficulty than down.

Hi, i use to have alot of HDR throubles very often, some as serious

as this:

-=HDR Unprecission=-

ArmA_114_bug_03.jpg

It use to happen mostly inside buildings and it's very sad to see

that was fixed in the v1.08 has come back for the v1.14, the last

game's patch. Let's C ya

Hi, i use to have alot of HDR throubles very often, some as serious

as this:

It use to happen mostly inside buildings and it's very sad to see

that was fixed in the v1.08 has come back for the v1.14, the last

game's patch.

If you will use Shadow Detail High or better, you should see thjis only rarely, and never inside of buildings. It is caused by value clamping during the shadow computation. Another way to get around this could be to use HDRPrecision = 16.

Daniel @ July 09 2008,16:41)]Or even better, give each unit a menu bar underneath "skill" in the editor for mission makers to choose. That way we can decide who's a deadeye, who's never picked up a gun before, and everything in between.

And maybe get rid of "skill" all together and just have one bar for accuracy and one for rate of fire.

So that unskilled AI will spray everywhere on full auto and elite professional AI will take precise, considered shots.

But then you can also have units that will shoot like mad fairly accurately, and units that may take their time but still can't hit shit.  smile_o.gif

this is something i really agree with!  smile_o.gif

But not something that BIS agree with sad_o.gif

Mission editors already have an easy way to set skill for units:

setskill @ community.bistudio.com

We really can't have give sliders for all hundreds of options, out built in scripting language is the way to do such things.

Yeah after some testing this doesnt actually work. smile_o.gif prts do and dont better just to use SetSkill 1 etc for the time being.

Hi, thanks Suma, increase the Shadow Detail to: High + HDRPrecision = 16;

has fixed it, but now displays some weird shading issues on some

objects, for example... in the great Avgani Iraq v0.9B 4m tall concrete

walls (those ala israel "stile") on some of 'em that are opposed to the

light source, now some of 'em show the shadow as a striped shadow;

it's weird and bad, but at least don't compromisses the survavility

of the units. Let's C ya

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"> precisionEnemy=0.600000;

BI, FOR THE LOVE OF YOUR CUSTOMERS, PLEASE MAKE THIS AN OPTION IN THE DIFFICULTY MENU AND LOWER IT BY DEFAULT IN ALL YOUR NEXT GAMES/PATCHES AND HIGHER THE AI SKILL SETTINGS.

Thank you.

True. If the enemy AI have bigger precision its more enjoyable. Extreme AI turns off new players and frustrates old until the settings are changed.

Also if you would have implemented a lower AI precision someone would figure out that its possible to make AI harder smile_o.gif That would been a positive and cool thing to find out for new players.

So using low settings as default doesnt scare away casual gamers and its a more positive experience to be able to turn up the AI difficulty than down.

ofpforum or andersson - did you check the default settings with

the latest patch?

For me AI precision is now 0.6 as default value.

I can not remember the default skill level.

Anyhow both values are (now) effect by the difficulty settings

for Enemy and Friendly forces.

So at least for new profiles there should be a better default value

now. Old profile either need to change the setting or get a new

one I guess (in other words the values won't get overwritten

automatically I guess).

Hi, thanks Suma, increase the Shadow Detail to: High + HDRPrecision = 16;

has fixed it, but now displays some weird shading issues on some

objects, for example... in the great Avgani Iraq v0.9B 4m tall concrete

walls (those ala israel "stile") on some of 'em that are opposed to the

light source, now some of 'em show the shadow as a striped shadow;

it's weird and bad, but at least don't compromisses the survavility

of the units. Let's C ya

screenshots please , thanks

the latest patch?

For me AI precision is now 0.6 as default value.

I can not remember the default skill level.

Anyhow both values are (now) effect by the difficulty settings

for Enemy and Friendly forces.

So at least for new profiles there should be a better default value

now. Old profile either need to change the setting or get a new

one I guess (in other words the values won't get overwritten

automatically I guess).

Honestly no. But it good to know they changed it! But it should have been so from the start, I might have scared away some players?

mostly my ARMA game is running reasonably well most of the time (v high, 5000m view) (i have 1.87 GHZ,1gig RAM, geforce 7950 GT)

the framerate is damn good, haven't tested any of the AI things though.

however there have been a couple of bugs:

1. error saying "could not create system memory" a couple of times and closed

2. bluescreen saying something got stuck in "infinite loop" once

3. map and hud textures went mental a few times, stopped when ctrl esc was used then maximized again.

Dentist Guba, use the maxmem perk to solve problem number 1. If you are not sure, ask somebody on the problem.

The maxmem perk really helps. smile_o.gif

Maybe it has already been reported, but I'm too lazy to check through all posts in this thread, but - dedicated server bug:

A paratrooper, at least AI, who ejects from the parachute when he lands on the ground is causing an error message in the server RPT file, with a possibility to cause an "out of memory" crash on the server. The crash sometimes (always?) doesn't really inform the player of anything, the player will notice server crash only by nothing is happening. No red chain.

Also ref this Domination thread in user missions:

Xeno's Domination Thread

Hi, again... this is what i've get playing on MP on the GOL server

rightnow, it uses to happen from time to time, but today it has happpen

to me 3 times in less than 90mins playing online, the 1St game the

ArmA crashed to desktop; after reset the computer i started the

game again and after like 15 to 20mins... this is what get, the bugged

texture is not always the same one.

The Thing:

ArmA_114_bug_04.jpg

Weird eh?, this never happened to me on the v1.08 . Let's C ya

Hi, and this the shape of the shadows bugs that i was talking about:

avgani_bug_03.jpg

It don't only happens on those walls, it also happens on default buildings

and walls too, not in all 'em; but in alot of 'em. Let's C ya

Thank you.

the latest patch?

I have to admit that i didn't, but im glad to hear they changed it. smile_o.gif

(Now lets hope that they tweaked it even further for ArmA2)

Hi, again... this is what i've get playing on MP on the GOL server

rightnow, it uses to happen from time to time, but today it has happpen

to me 3 times in less than 90mins playing online, the 1St game the

ArmA crashed to desktop; after reset the computer i started the

game again and after like 15 to 20mins... this is what get, the bugged

texture is not always the same one.

The Thing:

[imghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/wipman/ArmA_114_bug_04.jpg[/img]

Weird eh?, this never happened to me on the v1.08 . Let's C ya

I've been getting the same thing in MP and SP to, it can randomly lock your system up if you dont alt-tab out of game quick enough. I've tried a lot of different settings and drivers which hasn't helped at all.

This problem seems to be pretty common going by the trouble shooting section.