Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas Bell

Schmalfelden, Germany Map

Do hay bales really provide "cover", or only concealment?

Will a hay bale stop 7.62, or even 5.56?

Concealment. I know they are squeezed and all, but i seriously doubt they can hold off any caliber.

Usually infantry could find cover in the chamfers (hope its the correct term) of the fields. But i am unsure about this because it looks like this region has more cattle rather than cereals.

What are needed are ditches ! But we all know that because of ArmA limitation, we can't have them sad_o.gif

Unless some fair guy produces roads or lanes with ditches included as FDF has done on Al Maldajah island (in the OFP era) !

Hmmm Hay Bails, now a few fields with some of them dotted about would be pretty sweet.

I keep harping on but Ghost Recons "The Farm" map had a similar thing in one field and although it wont save you from heavy fire, it would be great for skipping through fields for cover, that would in theory help the missing "ditches" idea. If there are no drainage trenches on the side of fields etc to go prone in, a few hay bails across (some) fields would make up for that.

Quote[/b] ]Some civil guard towers at the forrest edges would be cool too.

Now thats a decent idea pistols.gif

Nicholas, if you need anymore screenies or anything for the new maps release then pm me, I guess whats done covers it, but anything else im glad to help in some small way mate.

Sure, we've faced some strong battles around Mercalillo. Same situation, the hay provided us some good cover. wink_o.gif

Sure, we've faced some strong battles around Mercalillo. Same situation, the hay provided us some good cover. wink_o.gif

Oh yea i forgot, in arma it does actually provide cover icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote[/b] ]280 enemies, 70 groups and 30 fps at 2,5 km viewdistance on the ground. Never seen anything amazing like this. It was world war 2 feeling having dozens of tanks driving across the country while artillery impacts nearby. It's even better than DAC 2.0 in Sakakah because the waypoint calculation of the AI works better.

You know you're making it darn hard to work on the map rather than just have some fun like you describe biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Seperate Summer & Autumn versions are a nice move from you, but you could aswell just save the time for the autumn version and let people use the replacement pack instead. At least i dont see a need for 2 versions for that matter.

Huh, I didn't know there was an in-game replacement PBO available. I have to ask the same question - is it worth the time?

Quote[/b] ]Please place some hay on the fields. The players cry for some cover

There are hay rolls on the map. I originally only placed them where they actually showed up in the aerial photo, but did add some more fields last update. I guess not enough - or not where you want/need them? wink_o.gif I will add more, but I don't want to get too crazy with them.

Quote[/b] ]What are needed are ditches

In lieu of ditches I am adding some brush along some of the roads and lanes, where it seems like there is some or could be some based on the aerial imagery. I am placing the object krovi_long approximately 1.5 meters below the surface so that it is not a hedge. It only provides concealment when you are prone in it or behind it. I've tested it (using Durg's vegetation fix of course) and it's enough to hide in. Just don't stand up or fire and expect not to get noticed!

The forest thinning is complete. Man, I'm glad that's done. Total object count was 134,000 (from 280,000) last time I checked, but it will go up with this road side brush I'm adding (judiciously - not everywhere).

Also working on searching for an correcting errors. Proofreading has never been my strong suit.

Thanks for your hard work, NB. Can't wait Sir! smile_o.gif

yay.gif

Quote[/b] ]Seperate Summer & Autumn versions are a nice move from you, but you could aswell just save the time for the autumn version and let people use the replacement pack instead. At least i dont see a need for 2 versions for that matter.

Huh, I didn't know there was an in-game replacement PBO available. I have to ask the same question - is it worth the time?

Autumn (recolored) plants smile_o.gif

*eagerly awaiting next version* inlove.gif

edit:

Quote[/b] ]What are needed are ditches

In lieu of ditches I am adding some brush along some of the roads and lanes, where it seems like there is some or could be some based on the aerial imagery.

I dont know how ditches shouldnt be possible, the pond in the quarry looks almost okay for that purpose - a bit too wide though, but its not really too deep.

Add some bushes or even better tall grass and it might be just what we need biggrin_o.gif

I would much rather see a map that includes an autumn version, so I don't have to have autumn on everything, and just go to an autumn map, but im guessing durgs wouldn't work then?

My point is, if you make a map including autumn models not needing autumn standalone then durg wouldn't work for those models as its not pointing to plants.pbo right?

Hmmm ... seems that to cover all angles your best making less dense map with less leave models pulling as normal from plants.pbo (or whatever standard pbo it uses) and let users use standalone, then you keep the durg clan happy and save yourself alot of time. Problem is the autumn plants replacement pbo , are there many repainted tree models in it that use less dense high pine trees?

Probably worth running the addon and then making the "lesser dense for autumn" map picking the right trees in conjuction with autumn leaves running so you can pick and choose right models that work with it.

I tried the Recolored Plants addon and it appeared too bright for me - too much color. Also realized the satellite image is going to have to be toned down too. Anyway, I'll see how the other tree mod looks - it offers various hues. But I really need to stay focused on fixing & improving the base map. Focus...not always easy for me - already thinking about the next map!

Question to everyone - how important is having an airfield available? I've got this idea to create an "off map" airfield by expanding the existing map - creating a new one really. The space between the current map and the airfields would be empty ground. I don't even know if I can pull off transferring all the objects to this new map - it's been frustrating even experimenting with the idea. But I'll give it a try if its that important to you. I'm mostly a ground pounder (I got flight sims if I want to fly smile_o.gif ), so being able to take off and land is not important to me. But that's just me.

No, please, leave it as it's now. Only some objects and bushes near roads. It's a very beautiful island, I hope to see soon the autumn version

Quote[/b] ]There are hay rolls on the map. I originally only placed them where they actually showed up in the aerial photo, but did add some more fields last update. I guess not enough - or not where you want/need them? wink_o.gif I will add more, but I don't want to get too crazy with them.

By using DAC 2.0 most fights are concentrated in the middle of the map, northern of Großbaerenweiler. Of course it depends on how a mission is set up, it's just an example.

I don't need one. There are lots of other maps that have airfields. The map isn't big enough anyway for planes.

Oddly enough I was using the UAV addon (with UAV plane) on this map and its just the right size for recon. I used th heli airlift script and just sat the heli's off the map, thats no issue as they dont need a runway. I dont think anything other than small heli or pickup heli / recon UAV is worth using on this map with its size.

I think that whats needed if anything is just a single strip to take off from off from at the edge as a bonus, nothing more really.

I think the map is too small for a full airfield etc, maybe keep that full-on idea for the next map or something.

I would not change the existing map by adding an airfield- I don't want to this to be too make-believe. Instead the airfields would be "off-map" by increasing the size of the map from 5120 meters square to 10,240 meters square. I would only roughly finish the airfield(s) and I would absolutely not finish the areas between the existing map and the airfields. That area would be devoid of any objects, no different really than the existing "off map" area.

The orientation shown here is required because the only way to expand the map and be able to copy all the objects over correctly is to keep the reference point (lower left corner) the same in both the existing Schmalfelden map and the possible expanded version.

OffMapAirfields.jpg

Just wanted to clarify what I was proposing. As I said I don't really want to do this for myself. If there was a chorus saying "yes, this would really help" then I would see if I could make it happen. Even a 10 km square map really isn't large enough for decent air missions.

Air operations in ArmA are usually based as support missions for grunts. Our team usually makes a RACS team of 1-4 pilots/crew that is assisting BLUFOR grunts when they are counterattacked by armor group or when they run out of AT ammo and already marked an armored target. Air units can be a great force for recon, too. Especially in the later phase when we are all looking for that single soldier that triggers the end of mission biggrin_o.gif

We did a lovely campaign in Barbuda (still WIP) where we all operated from the main town airport and old government mig-15s assisted our forces all over the island smile_o.gif hope that helps other team C/Os when they are making MP events.

If I remember well next little paved airfield (1012x30m) is in Niederstetten. But this is only for helicopter and puddle jumper.

I don't think that any fictional big airfields are usefull in your great Schmalfelden map! Helicopters are quite good enough to attack and support troops on Schmalfelden scenarios. wink_o.gif

Doesnt Niederstetten get the Tiger? A Heeresflieger base would be pwn. But too sad you don't have the time to build the stuff around sad_o.gif

Niederstetten is the base of THReg 30 -

THReg30.jpg

don't now if they have Tiger now there for training but UH-1D for sure (NH90 delayed).

Just wanted to clarify what I was proposing. As I said I don't really want to do this for myself. If there was a chorus saying "yes, this would really help" then I would see if I could make it happen. Even a 10 km square map really isn't large enough for decent air missions.

Honestly, leave it as it now. There is no need for any airfield since the map is too small for air operations at all.

I would rather see the few remaining bugs and issues fixed then enlarging the map and adding airfields with a huge empty area in between or other stuff which actually isn't present in the area.

If you listen to all requests from the community you'll never finish the map. smile_o.gif

I think the map is great as it is, of course, it's too small for large air battle, of course the map is small for "Red Storm Rising" big battles, but it's packing lot of features for small, short engagements, group level.

I have played it with CWR, or with RHS addons, the feeling is good, stop thinking the Evolution "dominating" way, play small coops with grunts and basic equipment.

Finish this map, tweak the trees issues and think of an other map based on what you have already learned.

only air assist this map need is choppers.. TOW armed choppers like in the good ol days biggrin_o.gif and choppers just need a FARP, so no biggy, dont worry abt airfield.

I hope the next map will be a "OP Alpha" map. Not OP Alpha itself because the villages around are too large, but there are a lot of nice spots in this area.

Honestly, leave it as it now. There is no need for any airfield since the map is too small for air operations at all.

+1

Awesome map!