Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas Bell

Schmalfelden, Germany Map

Just played a bit on this island in the editor and i really love it. inlove.gif

Know this area (at least the part arround Rothenburg o.d. Tauber) and it's really very nice placed. Everything looks kind of familiar. smile_o.gif

The forrests are (as mentioned several times) fps-killer but it's still playable for me (7950GT).

There are also some hovering houses in Schmalfelden itself (due to the grade of the terrain).

Thx for this one.

Very nice work & keep it up!

MfG Medicus smile_o.gif

I like it as it is.

I have played it with CWR or with RHS addons to get the right Cold War feeling.

Of course, the forests are FPS killers but they are so beautifully.

The only item I don't like is the water texture of the pond in the quarry. Can't swim but able to walk on the bottom

sad_o.gif

Remember to use the fog setting in your scenarios to help the frame rate.

yay.gif

It's a beautiful map, but sadly my clunky old machine craps

itself trying to run it.    confused_o.gif

Very nice map and i dont have any props with performance, good job.

Quote[/b] ]MrCash2009 - Good point about the tree types. I did a quick FPS test here at, *cough* work, on a trail with deciduous trees on one side and tall pines on the other and the frame rate more than doubled when looking at the pines. I also did look at Gardinasis - those woods are similar in density to those on the ACE Everon island. If my current tree thinning doesn't work that is the solution of last resort. I agree that if it isn't playable there's not much point in the map.

Cool, I really wish I could make maps i would love to help on this one for sure. Good to see that might work, I wouldn't say theres not much point in the map if the forests aren't playable though .. LOL ... but I kind of get your point, and I guess you got mine, its hard to post constructive without it maybe being read wrong sometimes. Keep it up mate.

Also, maybe a clever way would be an initial outer ring of the usual trees (for ground level eye candy) and then the inner forest is all pines, to hollow it out more inside ... Im still thinking of it matching in some way and keeping the fps balance too.

Quote[/b] ]Very nice map and i dont have any props with performance, good job.

You lucky man tounge2.gif

Guys, just a quick question, what German province is Schmalfelden in? I'd like to put the local province flag in the towns for some extra realism.

The nearsest major city is Stuttgart isn't it?

Thanks

(Tausend Dank!wink_o.gif

Stew

To be really authentic you shouldn't place flags there. biggrin_o.gif There are no province flags anywhere. If you've got luck you'll find the national flag "somewhere".

It's located at the border of Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg. The administrative district is called "Schwäbisch Hall" and big citys "nearby" are Wurzburg (Würzburg) north of it, Nuremberg (Nürnberg) to the east, Ingolstadt to the south-east and Heilbronn and Stuttgart to the south-west.

Edit:

To be really authentic you shouldn't place flags there. biggrin_o.gif There are no province flags anywhere. If you've got luck you'll find the national flag "somewhere".

There are flags in the town, where i come from. But thy mostly represent only the colors of the city arms. Like here: click

MfG Medicus smile_o.gif

A question for the local experts smile_o.gif Are the reflector road markers at 50 or 100 meter spacing? Thanks.

A bit small but it's good anyway. CWR troops plus this map are a charm.

And Vilas WW2 Units, too. We just need some Shermans and Panzers.

Are the reflector road markers at 50 or 100 meter spacing?

50m on roads like the one used in your map (freeway/autobahn would be 100m).

But this variates a bit at crossroads and at curves.

MfG Medicus smile_o.gif

lol the map looks to be heavier than sahrani , if the bullets are not killing me then the lag is.

But overall awesome map!!! this map should be heli's, infantry and armor only played

To be really authentic you shouldn't place flags there.  biggrin_o.gif There are no province flags anywhere. If you've got luck you'll find the national flag "somewhere".

About 2 days after WW3 started it'd be a hammer and sickle flag there! biggrin_o.gif

this map should be heli's, infantry and armor only played

yeah don't put any ships or aircraft carriers on it biggrin_o.gif

there is water on the map.. 2 small waterholes in the gravel pit

this map should be heli's, infantry and armor only played

yeah don't put any ships or aircraft carriers on it biggrin_o.gif

unless its the USS enterprise wink_o.gif

This map plays great on my pc (once you put a little fog on it). Very good job.

I played a custom mission over lan last night and I had a great time.

As others have said, some textures are a bit brighter than they should be but that isn't something that ruins the immersion.

Hey WE NEED MORE MAPS LIKE THIS!

make more!

Thanks for the info on the road posts! We must have the Czech version in ArmA because they are not quite the same.

I've posted version 0.81 on the first page.

Please let me know if the color is better (less intense). With my color deficiency I can't tell if it looks okay. Actually, in order for me to see the color I need more saturation, but I can handle that for myself.

Also, please check your frame rates in the woods. I did a lot of "weeding out" of trees in the 2 woods in the middle of the map and have done a good portion of those in the NW corner. I ran a platoon vs platoon engagement in larger center woods and the frame rate varied between 25-50. Smoke takes 4 or 5 FPS. I'm still using 1.08 too. My static FPS test scenario set north of Speckheim (looking at the large woods in the NW corner) went up from 30 to 35.

(I don't particularly care how they look now - too much light getting through, but I have keep remembering "form follows function".)

Anyway, please let me know if these changes are helping you and I will continue working on the rest of the forests on the map.

Thanks for all the comments. Please continue to point out my mistakes - it will take me a long time to find all of them on my own.

Also, anyone willing to share their mission(s) with me? I don't have much time for "fun" since I am working on the map, but would appreciate seeing the map from your perspective, so to speak. Thanks.

Good news! thumbs-up.gif

Will try a walk around asap on the new one.

Keep it up!

MfG, Medicus smile_o.gif

Allright dl new version! btw did you add some road/town signs because in germany you won't get lost - usually. wink_o.gif

Wow, vast improvement! The green is much better, the forests are much less laggy, the little extra details...

There isn't a part that looks like its been neglected now, nice one.