Sign in to follow this  
hoz

Arma feedback thread - based on 1.11

Well the patch sure hasn't done anything to bring back the Ctf community. I connected 8 times tonight and got Zero servers for the new patch. I then connected to 1.08 and got 2 servers.

Do you guys, who post here, ever look at the state of the Ctf servers. Wonder if you would feel like that if it were your coop servers. Nobody from the Ctf community is here to complain anymore. Most if not all have left already and i suppose thats ok though, or is it?

I'll post back in a weeks time to let you know how many Ctf servers i find then. When you consider that Ctf and Cti was the most played game in Ofp, What a joke this is.

Animation/transions still not fixed.

I don't play MP very much but I did have fun with it early on. I don't pick sides but i would say overall I had more fun on PVP than Coop. But frankly I don't get all the fuss? I had no problem moving around, controlling my guy to seek cover, and shooting accurately. I wouldn't say I was top 3 but I was usually in the top 20% of kills. I wish more people would play PvP, but I blame whiney people more than the game.

By the way, SLX + about 100 other features, has speeded up animations so I hope you'll enjoy that when it's released

Well the patch sure hasn't done anything to bring back the Ctf community. I connected 8 times tonight and got Zero servers for the new patch. I then connected to 1.08 and got 2 servers.

Do you guys, who post here, ever look at the state of the Ctf servers. Wonder if you would feel like that if it were your coop servers. Nobody from the Ctf community is here to complain anymore. Most if not all have left already and i suppose thats ok though, or is it?

I'll post back in a weeks time to let you know how many Ctf servers i find then. When you consider that Ctf and Cti was the most played game in Ofp, What a joke this is.

I don't play MP very much but I did have fun with it early on. I don't pick sides but i would say overall I had more fun on PVP than Coop. But frankly I don't get all the fuss? I had no problem moving around, controlling my guy to seek cover, and shooting accurately. I wouldn't say I was top 3 but I was usually in the top 20% of kills. I wish more people would play PvP, but I blame whiney people more than the game.

By the way, SLX + about 100 other features, has speeded up animations so I hope you'll enjoy that when it's released

So you think that my moaning has caused a major Ctf shutdown  rofl.gif Best joke ever. Also read the post. I never asked if you were having fun. I said about the amount of servers avalible for Ctf. And if you, like me, are concerned about the Ctf community or pvp, then what a silly comment you made. Also your not in the best position to comment are you? by been a player that only plays MultiPlayer from time to time.

Quote[/b] ]What mouses do you use, with that you got trouble aiming?

I´m using a Logitech Marble Mouse and had this aiming problem since Arma has been released. Vertical it´s quite precise, but horizontal with ironsights it´s just not working right. When I try to aim at someone beyond 200 I have to readjust left and right to finally get my sights on the target precisely. Quite annoying and it got me killed more than I can count.

I´d also be very pleased if BIS fixed the aimpoint. As it is right now it is just too big and hindering aiming when zoomed in. I guess there is a mod that fixes it but I´d prefer a unified BIS solution here.

I use a Logitech G1 mouse. I think there's one common link here, IIRC you have a 7600GT AGP and so do I. Could it be in our setup? Video drivers or something?

So you think that my moaning has caused a major Ctf shutdown  rofl.gif Best joke ever. Also read the post. I never asked if you were having fun. I said about the amount of servers avalible for Ctf. And if you, like me, are concerned about the Ctf community or pvp, then what a silly comment.

No, not just you but the CTF "community" in general. From day 1 people were complaining about the inertia, momentum, slow animation's etc... I agree these things could use some tweaking, but still prefer it to the weightless, stop-on-a-dime, hit a birds balls from half a mile away shooters that you could easily choose from to cure your twitch.

Thats right, I had fun since the demo's little CTF and frankly don't care whether you asked or not, I would still have fun if people could leave their stubborn desire to repeat OFP and try something more challenging then a "mouse war".

So you think that my moaning has caused a major Ctf shutdown  rofl.gif Best joke ever. Also read the post. I never asked if you were having fun. I said about the amount of servers avalible for Ctf. And if you, like me, are concerned about the Ctf community or pvp, then what a silly comment.

No, not just you but the CTF "community" in general. From day 1 people were complaining about the inertia, momentum, slow animation's etc... I agree these things could use some tweaking, but still prefer it to the weightless, stop-on-a-dime, hit a birds balls from half a mile away shooters that you could easily choose from to cure your twitch.

Thats right, I had fun since the demo's little CTF and frankly don't care whether you asked or not, I would still have fun if people could leave their stubborn desire to repeat  OFP and try something more challenging then a "mouse war".

Well for someone who doesn't play multiplayer alot, you sure are having your say on somthing that shouldn't really concern you. So what tweaks do you think then we should have for our animations then? The Ctf community spelt it out long ago what they want, but you know different? so what tweaking do you recommend. Plz reply!

Quote[/b] ]I use a Logitech G1 mouse. I think there's one common link here, IIRC you have a 7600GT AGP and so do I. Could it be in our setup? Video drivers or something?

I just fiddled with the controller setup, let alone the y axis sensitivity but lowered the x axis of the mouse alot. It somewhat smoothened aiming for me, but it´s not a perfect result.

I am merely voicing my opinion on the matter as like I said, I enjoyed PvP primarily, because it takes more skill to outsmart/kill a human player who could be any where. Like most people, I started with Counter Strike years ago and while it was fun, I hated the over-ease of both movement and shooting. Literally, guys jumping off a ridge backwards hitting you with one shot to the head before landing. Couldn't really find an on-line shooter where it took more skill and things were slowed down except for a brief stint with Swat 4 which was more realistic but too confined.

The animations especially between stances quickened, like SLX features for one. Recoil, seems eliminated since 1.09 needs to be reinstated properly. I would love to see real weight of inventory added so that an AT soldier would have a harder time to stop accurately than say a SF guy.

I'm not telling the CTF community what to think, just that it's a shame so many have given up on ArmA while with recent mods, is starting to shine.

i've had a CTD (the first one with arma) with version 1.11 after about 20 minutes playing in SP mode. i put the error in case it has useful info:

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 00573E2D

graphics: D3D9, Device: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX, Driver:nv4_disp.dll 6.14.11.6218

resolution: 1152x864x32

Version 1.11.5244

Fault address: 00573E2D 01:00172E2D C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\beta\arma.exe

file: asalto%20a%20Iguana%20link%20II

world: Sara

Prev. code bytes: DC 91 00 EB 08 F3 0F 10 05 C4 DC 91 00 8B 45 08

Fault code bytes: F3 0F 10 90 FC 00 00 00 F3 0F 59 15 08 93 9B 00

Registers:

EAX:00000000 EBX:00000000

ECX:000E41FA EDX:000E2334

ESI:07340018 EDI:14D2F000

CS:EIP:001B:00573E2D

SS:ESP:0023:0125F93C EBP:0125F958

DS:0023 ES:0023 FS:003B GS:0000

Flags:00010206

1.11 is pretty good so far..... Performance is great, no crashes anymore, textures are loaded fast enough, cheater/hacker protection, recoils rocks, etc...

Still a few bugs:

- M4M203 is listed as a NON-ACOG version but still has this damn optical sight. Simply remove it is my suggestion

- The others listed in this thread + the well known others tounge2.gifwink_o.gif

Anyway good work on this BIS

Hey,

I get a problem with Battleye. The moment I enter a server, it kicks me out and states that battleye failed to connect. Does anyone have the same issue? Is there a way to activate it? I own the sprocket version of Arma.

Me and a friend just tried 1.11 out. Our games went hopeless. Very unstable, laggy and slow.

The textures load way to slow and the game crashed.

We both have 8800... This didn't happen in 1.09

Yeah same here, BAD performance. I hope whatever factor made the game run so smooth in 1.09 on 8800 will be in the final patch.

I have 8800gtx and the new patch is excellent for me. I have everything set on high. Ive played longer with no crashes which 108 and 109 never have done before.

1.11 is pretty good so far..... recoils rocks, etc...

you are one of the few other people I've noticed here who mention this.

i also find recoils much more snappy and responsive.

anyone else?

Another thing that maybe could need a little attention:

When riquochets from bigger caliber guns (BRDM, etc) hit pallettes

they go flying. They are not just jumping or moving, but are really flying up into the air for 50 or more meters. Noticed this when attacking a camp and some riquochets hit pallettes. They went straight into the sky like rockets.

works great over here... no installations worries & performance is better...especially in cities... which were taxing my system more than the northern part of the island.

draw-distance optimizations are really neat... unless i choke my system with too many units i can neatly push the draw-distance comfortably beyond 3000 m smile_o.gif

the usual nitpicking follows... tanks still bounce around like easter-bunnies... the odd thing is... why exactly? never seen this in opf146? was this introduced in opf res...or is it an arma original feature?

anyway... thanks for the patch... good work... me likes smile_o.gif

Horizontal mouse aiming movement is still incremental.

Video demonstration here

Note in the video it's not possible to align the sights with certain targets, which equals death in a combat situation. Also note that vertical movement is not incremental.

I know I'm not the only one who notices this...

Please fix this BI. I really dislike relying on luck in long distance engagements sad_o.gif

Agree, the horizontal mouse movement really could do with smoothing - it can be very frustrating trying to align your sights to your target.

The AI enemy (aural) detection fixes are very welcome, but they still seem able to pinpoint you with alarming accuracy. For example, fire an AT round at an armoured vehicle from behind cover and from a rear aspect (crew hasn't detected you). AT strike, crew debus and then move to your location directly to engage you. They know exactly where you are!?

When the AI unit skill is high they appear to do everything in double time. Move, go prone, scan for enemy, stand, move, rinse and repeat...

I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned this one, but please also fix the AI's ability to walk through buildings and walls.

Take hard cover, 10s later AI walks through your cover and brasses you up from behind.

This is a major problem when you try and implement infantry tactics in the game and I would really appreciate a fix - surprised it's been around through so many updates.

Headbug appears to still be present if you are killed while getting into a vehicle (shot mounting an unoccupied hummer in my particular case). On respawn, I had the headbug.

Experienced this twice now (different servers).

Virtual memory handling has improved for me, was seeing the cannot create memory surface error or a BSOD stop error with annoying frequency with nvidia 8800GTX 768MB graphics card and 169.x drivers on WinXP SP2 (never experienced it with previous ATI cards, though they were lower spec. with up to 256MB).

It is dramatically improved now, if not completely sorted.

In vehicle sounds are too low, suggest raising them a bit and letting those that want them really quiet use a mod?

Thanks BIS for another good incremental patch and I'm glad you've given us the opportunity to raise further items for review before you go final.

I've played with 1.11 a couple of single player missions and some multiplayer sessions.

No problems at all during the single player missions.

I played multiplayer with battleye.

One multiplayer session with length of about 1 hour ended with "session lost". I don't know what happened, but my guess was that the server just 'disappeared'. Internet connection was ok at my end all the time.

Another multiplayer session with length of about 3 hours didn't have any problems. Good battles, even though my computer was at times too weak to keep up a decent frame rate in larger towns. I'll just avoid the large towns and wipe out the enemies elsewhere with my heavy machinegun which I like in ArmA maybe even more than the lighter machineguns. Maybe it's easier with such a gun for me to hit the enemy from a distance, as I can 'wipe' a few rounds targeting the legs of the enemy and the gun 'corrects' my aim so that I hit the enemy. It can indeed be somewhat difficult to get the aim right, it usually tends to go a bit off when I try to correct. My perception is that in ArmA it is more difficult to hit targets than in OFP, especially from longer distance. With the light machineguns with optic sights it can take me more time to take an enemy down from a greater distance. I should practice more.

I was thinking that the aiming inaccuracy problem can be caused by not having a fast-enough computer. If the game has low frame rate then the aiming might 'jump' and the player always corrects too much because the visual update to the aiming is late.

Only 'problem' I have is that my computer is under minimum system requirements and thus in some places the frame rate drops too much, but this is not something I can complain about. I have 1.4 GHz CPU + nv 6600 gt which is good-enough on very low ArmA settings most of the time. ArmA's performance with this computer has improved since the 1.04 version.

I didn't even keep the extra cooling fan (sitting on the floor next to computer, aimed at the graphics card) on at all during these playing sessions. At some ArmA version if I didn't use the extra fan to cool my graphics card, I would get visual errors in the game soon after starting to play. But with 1.11 no such errors came even after 3 hours of playing without extra cooling.

But I'll do some more testing, I'm sure there are bugs I just didn't notice yet...

My Feedback:

Pro:

- Many nice improvements, fine.

- Very nice colours/gamma/contrast/whatever they did.

---

Con:

- Hundrets of know bugs/errors/missing features/etc. which are not fixed

- no damned linux dedicated server (yes it's in the works, but it is since game release...)

-----

I really don't get it, there must be something in the air in prague.

So what is the reason BIS is taking so long to get this game FINAL and fix the bugs that are known for AGES, some since OFP release 2001 ?!

We have this outstanding voice feature which must be great for MP, but we have no working linux dedicated server for the last two beta patches(which contain IMPORTANT bug fixes! )??

And before someone jumps in and try to tell me that I don't have a clou about the gaming industry and/or patch developing/etc., please safe your time, I'm NOT interested.

---

When will be the day this game is fixed for ALL?

ALL = XP + Vista User, DX9 + DX10 User, Windows Server + Linux Server User.

When can we all start to play this game(fixed and MP)?

ArmA2 is in the making and release is planned for autumn 2008.

If you fix ArmA NOW, we have ~6month to play, then the most of the community will switch to ArmA2.

Or will ArmA2 be "unfinished" too, so we can play 1,5 years ArmA1 until ArmA2 is playable? (joking)

---

I said it many times, but I say it again:

OFP/ArmA are the ONLY games that are worth playing for me.

I don't HATE BIS, I LOVE them for making "simulation style games" when the rest of the gaming industry is making "kiddy-shooter for brainless people".

---

I just want to play this game with my GF8800GTX graphics card(without the fog bug) and our linux server, which I can't for a very long time now...

MfG Lee confused_o.gif

I somehow have the suspicion that bugfixes/features for Arma are made with the background to be implemented in Arma2. This way BIS can extend or optimize Arma while using the new features for Arma 2, too and use the community to betatest modules of Arma 2 right away. That´s my opinion from checking what has been fixed or added for Arma up to now.

They put very much time into VON, I don´t see why they invested that time to get rid of the release bugs first. The only explanation I have is that they will use the VON module for Arma 2, so adding it to Arma and having a community betatest it right away is much more efficient for BIS.

Still, the patching process should be different imho:

1. Fix the bugs

2. Add new features

And not:

1. Add new features

2. Fix some bugs

3. Fix bugs created with new features

4. Forget about old bugs and don´t fix them at all

That´s most likely the reason why some ageold and cheap bugs are not fixed up to now. They have no priority because they do not contribute to developing Arma 2.

I hate it aswell but the bigger picture is pretty obvious.

If 1.11 is supposed to be anywhere close to the final version, then I don´t know why we were told to report bugs as a big chunk of them ( and I´m not talking about bugs that would glue a programmer 1 week to his chair) simply STILL haven´t been adressed or new ones (interior sound in vehicles) were produced when creating patches and have not been fixed until now.

Still got a major issue with AI. Maybe it's because I got Sixth Sense mod running, but when just plan a waypoint with a 12 man squad in the settings safe-limited. Half of my squad just stops all of a sudden in groups of 3. They refuse to walk on.

Terrain is easy, no trees or anything. Don't understand it, because like driving, AI could even do this simple task right in OFP.

Ok just adding some feedback here...

MP only

Played for 4hrs non stop no restarts or resets...

Not a single CTD, not a single slow down, all went well and I have flown all over the island back & forward...

So far this 1.11 looks very promising but have to admit I didn't test “evolution†yet, and “evolution†was more crash prone to me with 1.08.

My specs

MS Ws XP SP2

Intel Core 2 6600 2.4 GHz

2 MB RAM

NV GeF 8800 GTX

FW 169.21

Just a small thing, I've eax 4 and some vehicles have their inside sound too low.

Quote[/b] ]What mouses do you use, with that you got trouble aiming?

I´m using a Logitech Marble Mouse and had this aiming problem since Arma has been released. Vertical it´s quite precise, but horizontal with ironsights it´s just not working right. When I try to aim at someone beyond 200 I have to readjust left and right to finally get my sights on the target precisely. Quite annoying and it got me killed more than I can count.

I´d also be very pleased if BIS fixed the aimpoint. As it is right now it is just too big and hindering aiming when zoomed in. I guess there is a mod that fixes it but I´d prefer a unified BIS solution here.

I use a Logitech G1 mouse. I think there's one common link here, IIRC you have a 7600GT AGP and so do I. Could it be in our setup? Video drivers or something?

I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware issue. I use a Logitech MX310, and aiming is jumpy. With a Logitech Click! it's the same, and with an old Microsoft Optical mouse it's the same. If I remember correctly, it was even the same with my laptop's touchpad.

As for video card, I have a 7950 GT, and my laptop has a Mobility x1400. On both systems horizontal aiming movement is jumpy.

I think this is an issue that's apparent on all systems, but since it is very subtle, most don't consciously notice it.

However subtle, it does make long distance shooting with irons very frustrating, and it's about time it's fixed.

Quote[/b] ]As for video card, I have a 7950 GT, and my laptop has a Mobility x1400. On both systems horizontal aiming movement is jumpy.

I think this is an issue that's apparent on all systems, but since it is very subtle, most don't consciously notice it.

However subtle, it does make long distance shooting with irons very frustrating, and it's about time it's fixed.

I have just check the issue and I think I am able to reproduce it (your video helped a lot, so that I knew what exactly to look for). What I see is with high enough display resolution the smallest step we are able to do with mouse with default settings is larger than one pixel.

This increment is constant in screenspace for all zoom levels, there if you jump two pixels in one zoom level, you jump two in all zooms (this actually means you move your weapon smoother when zoomed, as pixel represents a narrower angle then)

Default behavior for Windows applications to accommodate for both slow and fast mouse movement is to use acceleration (very detailed description is available at http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/input/pointer-bal.mspx). We currently do not use any.

The options you currently have:

1) If you decrease x sensitivity, you decrease this step as well, however you need to move your mouse more then when turning.

2) When you zoom, you increase the movement precision. The cursor still jumps the same offset on the screen, but this corresponds to a smaller real weapon movement

I will check if we can introduce some pointer ballistics to allow for a smoother movements without hindering the overall aiming speed.

Am I correct in assuming the LOD bug is NOT fixed? I dont want to go through all the trouble of installing this... "program" and its associated "patches"... again.

As I have reported HERE,

it seems that it's impossible to join an MP game hosted by simple computers (that is non-dedicated server).

Anybody else has this problem with 1.11 ?

confused_o.gif

I found 1.09 ran stable, 1.11 makes my fps lock up every few seconds, and i hear a static type sound out of my speakers with the fps lockup, u know that sound when ur computer is really locked up bad...winamp in the background also locks up with arma

then the game disappears when it gets really bad. It doesnt always get really, bad,i can play for hours sometimes with the noise and fps fluctuation, from really low to normal.  Its sometimes worse than other times.

e6400 duo, 8800gts 640, 2gb ram, xp pro, 1440x900, mostly all low settings, texture medium, shading medium.

I've just run 1.08 and i dont have the problem, seems to be a 1.11 issue for me. I should add this mainly happens in evo missions. I'd avoid evo missions, but then there'd be very little servers to play on. I can also be editing a mission, then going back into the main menu, then to multiplayer selection to test my mission, the shuddering occurs. it gets worse and leads to a crash.

THis is the error after it crashes. errorxm7.jpg