Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Arma feedback thread - based on 1.09

inlove.gif It really works without the DVD in the drive, did not noticed that before.

The performance is better with patch 1.09, will see what the AI can do better now, restricted by my CPU. huh.gif

the negatives------------------------------------

- in AH-6 helo, once you use the minigun, all other sounds drop...except for gunfire on game. NOTE:(after getting external view, i realise this is THE "in vehicle" sound issue that was fixed.but again it doesnt get quiet, until AFTER you fire the minigun....

(i personally DO NOT like this. i PREFER the OLD loud internal engine sounds. please go back to OLD settings.)

- the "trianglulation by hearing" is woefully lacking now. i can take out masses of squads before they find me standing by edge of woods. last patch it was too much, currently its almost non existant. its like "hey gunfire in our direction" and fire as an afterthought.

the POSITIVES--------------------------------

- controls for the helo ARE WONDERFUL with HOTAS/JOYSTICK! thankyou!

(pos +) BFG 7600GT w/512 mem

3 GIG RAM

AMD 4200

K8NS gigabyte mobo

i can play with everything at MAX rez, at "normal" graphic detail or (or all items at max if i lower view distance to 500 meters) rather than everything set to low.

Found a bug, When the humvee M2 is destroyed, the rear lights don't turn off. I haven't tested this with other humvees yet.

I was hoping to see an option in menu to order ai to change main weapon. Some times Ai change the main weapon to pistol without order. Or when we order Ai to drop rifle and then pick it up.. Ai will remain the pistol and will not change to the rifle unless you order ai to drop pistol.

its really annoying.. only proves ai can not distinguish which weapons are better in different situations.

VON seems to crash my computer 100% of the time. I'm using the latest audigy 2 drivers and the latest open AL. EAX and HW accelleration enabled. Audigy 2 zs platinum.

Well, A+ from me also.

Mouse is massively more smooth and realistic to move around. Aiming is now something that feels natural. Firefights are not so feared now that I know I can aim smile_o.gif

Yeah, the compass should be close to your face, especially if youre using the needle (not on the compass, but on the case) to line up a path and check its heading. You put it close to your eye. Theres also another way to hold it I learned, which was further from the eye, but in short, the compass is close to the eye in some methods. not to mention, as said, we can read it much easier now wink_o.gif

Do the AI use grenades more often now for anyone else? I noticed SEVERAL handfuls of grenades being thrown at me. It wasnt annoying, and its prolly somewhat realistic, but they were really starting to spam them smile_o.gif

FPS have been drastically improved for me in the north as said in the beta release info. Im really starting to love playing ara more and more. I loved it to start, but these things just make it better and better!

I'll post back later after Ive had some more fun with it, but dang!!!!

Only thing I had so far was for some reason, I couldnt start up QG with the beta. Is that correct? it gave me an error... Finally I got it to work by making a new shortcut to my original arma with only -beta addon activated... Any suggestions?

Overall, amazing job!!!

VON seems to crash my computer 100% of the time.  I'm using the latest audigy 2 drivers and the latest open AL.  EAX and HW accelleration enabled.  Audigy 2 zs platinum.

Audigy 2 ZS and consistent crashes with VoN as well. No blue screen. No error messages. I am simply playing, my sound output becomes a high-pitched screech for a second or so, and then the computer resets.

I thought these crashes were fixed. Or were those listed on the wiki of a different type? Either way, I would like to see the problem addressed as I cannot reasonably obtain a new sound card right now.

Other than that, loving 1.09b,

dRb

P.S. Do anyone else's strelas simply not lock? Stingers work just fine, but not the strela launchers.

VON seems to crash my computer 100% of the time. I'm using the latest audigy 2 drivers and the latest open AL. EAX and HW accelleration enabled. Audigy 2 zs platinum.

Disable hardware acceleration and you will be fine.

To reemphasize this:

If you have HARD REBOOTS (computer reboots without warning), all you need to do is disable hardware acceleration. That will stop the hard reboots. It has been 100% effective from what I have observed.

Hope that is fixed, can't be arsed to keep flicking the acceleration on and off.

Good job its a beta, I love it.

VON seems to crash my computer 100% of the time.  I'm using the latest audigy 2 drivers and the latest open AL.  EAX and HW accelleration enabled.  Audigy 2 zs platinum.

I had the same problem with Audigy 1

My solution was to go to the shop and buy X-Fi biggrin_o.gif

It's working now ok biggrin_o.gif

New bugs:

I died 2 times on bike without reason (during play in Sahrani Life 1.10), this bug still exists.

VOIP sometimes is not working for some players, they are speaking but nobody hear them.

Disable hardware acceleration and you will be fine.

To reemphasize this:

If you have HARD REBOOTS (computer reboots without warning), all you need to do is disable hardware acceleration. That will stop the hard reboots. It has been 100% effective from what I have observed.

That is not much of a solution, honestly. Without hardware acceleration, I cannot play with surround sound and I get overall worse performance. Sure, it may fix the hard reboots, but I hate how the game sounds without HWA. Oh well. Thank you for the advice.

- dRb

Only thing I had so far was for some reason, I couldnt start up QG with the beta.  Is that correct?  it gave me an error...  Finally I got it to work by making a new shortcut to my original arma with only -beta addon activated...  Any suggestions?

Check your shortcut

E:\games\ArmA\beta\arma.exe -mod=beta;dbe1 -nosplash

Only thing I had so far was for some reason, I couldnt start up QG with the beta. Is that correct? it gave me an error... Finally I got it to work by making a new shortcut to my original arma with only -beta addon activated... Any suggestions?

Check your shortcut

E:\games\ArmA\beta\arma.exe -mod=beta;dbe1 -nosplash

Heh, yeah. Just got help from another. I feel like an idiot... smile_o.gif Didnt know it changed exe's

smile_o.gif

Thanks

Aside from that, as I said in the other post, this patch has done wonders on my end!

Wow, performance is light years better with this patch. I am now able to run high textures, high object detail and post proc on high (or very high but it's too blurry at that setting IMHO) without a hitch. In fact with these settings higher it is still out performing 1.08 by a long way.

For instance, I have a 'big arsed battle' mission I made involving the independents holding the entrance to the coastal road down to Parisio. There's 50 or 60 independents on a line up the hills backed by a forest with wire, bunkers, US field guns, 50 cals, AT positions, sand bags etc. Attacking this is roughly 100 VDV Russian troops and 2 platoons of T72's. In 1.08 on all settings normal and low post proc it runs ok but really dives a bit when it gets heavy (especially on the hill looking at the advancing Ruskies). Beta 1.09 with the settings up as I mentioned above it runs a treat, it still dives but nowhere near as much as in 1.08.

On the gameplay aspects of the beta I am liking it so far, I love the way armour is tougher now. There's no more of this disabling the main gun with a 50 cal and having the crew bailing, tanks are much more threatening. It's also much enhanced due to the AT weapons having more realistic trajectory, it is no longer a breeze to nail that BMP at 600m.

I also love the new recoil handling it's now sharp and fast like it should be. My only gripe here is that the MG's are a bit silly, the M240 and PKM still should recoil heavily from standing position, as is now in the beta you can stand with a 240 or PKM and lay down perfectly accurate automatic fire for several hundered metres.

Other than that I am very impressed with the changes.

Tested the voice feature yesterday, some minutes later a "ha10kx2k.sys" bluescreen. It's a problem together with creative(audigy) cards.

No problem, can be fixed in the future, using teamspeak.

MfG Lee xmas_o.gif

Has someone already checked the gunship handling with 1.09b and two human players in it? I fear the problem with: 'once two human players riding the cobra, the guided missiles become useless' is still present. The pilot cannot lock targets for the gunner and vice versa.

This 'effect' exists since Flashpoint afaik and i would appreciate a solution for it help.gif The feature to 'overload' (don't know the exact english expression for 'den Turm uebersteuern) the controls of the turret and its maingun by the commander to scan and lock simultaneously (The gunner is attacking a target while the commander is watching for others. Once the commander has identified a target he 'overloads' the turret controls and syncs the gunner's view direction, what includes the direction the turret is pointing at with his own view. After passing this new target to the gunner, he unlocks the turret and starts again searching for new targets while the gunner engages the last given target.) was neither implemented in OFP nor in ArmA, so a way to increase combat effectiveness, the teamwork of commander and gunner, with passing targets through to the specific seats would come very handy, at least for guided missiles.

This is not a suggestion, as it is a 'problem' or 'effect' that i had already posted in the BTS - that is now mutilated by the big magenta T...damn...

Voip seems to be still buggy cos sometimes players speech are just static or some players dont even hear others.

Audigy 2 ZS and consistent crashes with VoN as well. No blue screen. No error messages. I am simply playing, my sound output becomes a high-pitched screech for a second or so, and then the computer resets.

I thought these crashes were fixed. Or were those listed on the wiki of a different type? Either way, I would like to see the problem addressed as I cannot reasonably obtain a new sound card right now.

Other than that, loving 1.09b,

dRb

P.S. Do anyone else's strelas simply not lock? Stingers work just fine, but not the strela launchers.

Try an older driver version. I had the same problems until I installed an older one, somewhere in the Troubleshooting section should be a thread about it with the exact version number.

Mine has the filename "creative-audigy-5.12.06.1161-win32-64-whql.exe" and since then I can use VOIP with an Audigy 2 ZS without bluescreens.

But: We really need additional sliders for voip and microphone volume in the audio options!

The texture loading bug got even worse for me with this patch.  confused_o.gif

Using a AGP 7600 GT 256 MB

When I turn around in northern villages houses appear untextured and stay like that for quite a while. Same with trees. I also have a new effect when looking at wrecked vehicles, specifically trucks for now. First the look ok, next when I zoom in the switch back to undamaged texture and after a while switch back to damaged texture. Same with using scope.

Lowered my overall settings but still much more LOD delay than with 1.08  confused_o.gif

using a 7800 agp.. it`s if 1.05 is released again.

That will be another 7 months away from this game, I can`t be bothered to look at no/crapppy textures and deformed units/vehicles again.

I was back because of a friend that want to play Arma again ..I found out that 1.08 was playable again.

noticed a bit lost with QG but 1.09b does it for me *shows middlefinger to this beta.

------------------------------------------

1.05 impression thread

"Posted: Mar. 04 2007,02:07

------------------------------------------------------------

I have put the game into its box and I`ll wait till game2 demo.

It must be a pretty good demo if I will buy that game...

hows that for an impression......cya"

Quick feedback:

- Overall, the game seems to run a lot more smoothly than before. It's hard to put into words, but the whole game feels a lot more solid now.

- Driving vehicles seems to be a bit better, although still effed up.

- Not sure if others noticed this, but plant morphing (LOD change) seems a lot more pronounced. Annoying as hell. I keep seeing plants (entire forests) changing shape as I turn my head even just 1 or 2 degrees. It's not only annoying, it's severly distracting and looks downright ugly.

- Saved game loading seems faster.

- Sound inside vehicles seem waaay too quiet. Driving a Humvee is like walking on thick carpet. Same with choppers.

- I'm not overly fond of weapon recoil in games but even I noticed that weapons (M4/M16) don't seem to have much of a recoil now. Is it just me or were they almost completely removed? I didn't like the original recoils but Q1184's sharper recoil pack was good.

- Didn't notice much AI behavior change, but it seems they're not as pinpoint accurate as before. Didn't play a whole lot, though, so I might be imagining this.

- Edit 1: as mentioned by someone already, a bike can be shot up (3-4 shots) so that it changes to the destroyed texture but it can still be used. It takes a few more shots to actually destroy it.

- Edit 2: persistent muzzleflash is still not fixed. It happens on SPR and mounted machine guns: after reloading, the guns have a static, persistent muzzleflash shown until the next shot. It's not a huge problem but it looks strange. It seems to happen after the gun is reloaded at least once, then saved and reloaded. The game might have to be restarted for it.

Overall, a decent job from BIS, thanks for it.

Been playing alittle more now and:

I miss the old grass.

The new veg doesnt give me much performance boost compared to 1.08 (it was good already then for me), but 1.08 looked alittle better (no problem really, I suppose it helps alot of players).

The recoils should be more like Q1184's.

+

once more, fog is gone!! biggrin_o.gif

Feels more stable (even if I had a stable 1.08)

-nopause is really nice, thank you

lol, for me it says that I have version 1.07... how is this possible??

where should I put my setup exe file to install this shit properly??? confused_o.gif

lol, for me it says that I have version 1.07... how is this possible??

where should I put my setup exe file to install this shit properly??? confused_o.gif

Try deleting the beta directory in your arma root directory. For more assistance, try the trouble shooting forum in the 1.09 thread.

It's in their readme as a known issue- the BSODs. Perhaps the issue will be resolved when they release 1.09 proper.

Not tested the new eventhandler for public variables as yet, but the publicVariable for arrays now works just great!

Nice one!

My 10c: this is an excellent patch.  The game runs smoother and aiming & shooting feels much more responsive.  I really like it.  I haven't played ArmA in over two months due to its frustrations but this is making it much more appealing! BIS: more of the same please!  smile_o.gif