Sign in to follow this  
KillerBunny

Is there any way to...

I just can't fly those stupid helicopters.I know I suck at this game but I don't remember having that many problems with helis in OFP,just in ArmA.

Well,my question is:

Is there a mod or something that can make the controls more ''arcade'' or OFP-like?Otherwise I won't be able to progress on the game sad_o.gif

Hi KillerBunny

Simple solution:

Fire up the editor insert your chosen helicopter and fly it untill you get good.

It is similar to what you do when you learn to ride a bike without stabalisers.

It is called practice. wink_o.gif

Kind Regards walker

Hi KillerBunny

Simple solution:

Fire up the editor insert your chosen helicopter and fly it untill you get good.

It is similar to what you do when you learn to ride a bike without stabalisers.

It is called practice. wink_o.gif

Kind Regards walker

I can't say I'm a fast learner but I'll try then,it's a little too difficult to control tough sad_o.gifbanghead.gif

its good that you are willing to learn. compared to OFP, anyone who wants to be a profficient HELO pilot in ARMA..will have to do a LOT of practice. THAT is the only thing that will make you good at it.

is it hard/steep learning curve? YES. whether it is "real" or not, that is how is is modelled in sim for now. its a tuffy if you are used to other flight sims, or even the the patch that was previous to this one.

keep the practice us continuously, and varied, and eventually you will be great at it.

it also has a lot to do with the chopper you're flying - one of the chopper's I'm privy too has a superb COG and mass distribution, and thus flys like a utter dream, unlike the BIS ones.

until thats released mind, then it is deffinately a case for practice practice practice.You can't possibly be worse than me biggrin_o.gif

Steer clear of the littlebirds and cobra's at the start, choose the blackhawk and Mi17 to get used to how the new engine works but with bigger choppers so they don't catch you out quite as much

The mouse-keyboard controls are wrecked beyond repair because of the forced autocentering and impulse - steering instead of the old OFP model. There has been a huge request for a solution and the implementation of the old OFP system, but this has been denied as it would take too much work to implement such. Unfortunally sad_o.gif

I strongly disagree with you Balschoiw. Whenever I have to switch to precision flying, I let go of my joystick and turn to my mouse and keyboard.

It´s a matter of fact that OFP´s input on vehicle controls was much more fluid and consistant compared to Arma´s input scheme. It´s a matter of the technique used by BIS.

If you like it, great, but the majority of Arma users seem to have problems with the new input mechanism as it´s not consistant, not fluid and relies on impulse steering with autocentre instead of fluid vector control that doesn´t force you to constantly repeat your inputs. Furthermore the "new" control scheme is responsible for loosing control of onboard cannons, like in the Kamov, something that was perfectly working in OFP now is not working in Arma because of that "invention". I personally think that BIS just ported over the X-Box controls to Arma and therefore we are facing that issues.

I am still hoping there would be a way to change such of hard coded things like weapons and vehicle controls and animation direct from game inside by tweaking of ratio of physics values.

It´s a matter of fact that OFP´s input on vehicle controls was much more fluid and consistant compared to Arma´s input scheme. It´s a matter of the technique used by BIS.

If you like it, great, but the majority of Arma users seem to have problems with the new input mechanism as it´s not consistant, not fluid and relies on impulse steering with autocentre instead of fluid vector control that doesn´t force you to constantly repeat your inputs. Furthermore the "new" control scheme is responsible for loosing control of onboard cannons, like in the Kamov, something that was perfectly working in OFP now is not working in Arma because of that "invention". I personally think that BIS just ported over the X-Box controls to Arma and therefore we are facing that issues.

And what's even more frustrating is that the floating mouse that is already in use within ArmA for infantry could provide the base for the solution and still not possible.

Personally I can't fly helicopters unless I have the right equipment. For me the following is essential...

1. My old and thrusty TM FLCS + TQS HOTAS with rudders.

2. TrackIR 2

3. Tweaked joystick curves to my personal liking.

My favorite ArmA stock helicopter is the AH-6 but YMMW, then as others already told you, practice, practice and then practice some more smile_o.gif

/KC

flippin heck keykat..

you might as well buy the real thing lol..

I just use my trusty Logitech G5 and erm.. keyboard biggrin_o.gif

All in all, its just practice..

I personally think that BIS just ported over the X-Box controls to Arma and therefore we are facing that issues.

IMHO they do not even feel the same even though I use the x360 controller for ArmA, so I would not think they have ported them just over.

For easier flying I DO SUGGEST the xbox 360 controllers, you just have to configure it the right way.

I had to get used to the aircraft handling with the controller to work it out with keyboard and mouse so practice is probably the cheapest and easiest suggestion wink_o.gif

For easier flying I DO SUGGEST the xbox 360 controllers, you just have to configure it the right way.

Second that! For me it 'feels' even better than the trusty old Wingman thumbs-up.gif

Exactly.

And i know, i don't buy ArmA2, if there are still the same crap vehicle (heli) controls like in ArmA1.

Because it's fun killing like hell.

I don't care about eye candy GFXs.

I care about intuitive controles.

And ArmA was a step back in all controles, infantry and vehicles, compare with OFP.

The main focus should be on mouse & keyboard input.

Not on other inputs.

They fly like a dream.... No problem here..."repeating input" what kind of nonsens!!

I can make thoose babies dance without any sweat.

So keep practicing guys.

Quote[/b] ]"repeating input" what kind of nonsens

Actually not, as it´s the way mouse + keyboard control fro Arma is implemented. The virtual mouse input position resets to 0.

In OFP the method was very different as the position of the mousecursor was not set to zero position all the time, which mean that the steering was consistant, while in Arma you have to use impulse steering, constantly moving the mouse into the direction you want to drive or fly to. Even with this the result is very clumsy and not satisfying at all as it is impossible to do consistant curves or turns with keyboard and mouse.

If you tell us now that it´s perfectly possible you´re telling bullshit as it´s the method of input that simply doesn´t allow such things.

Quote[/b] ]I can make thoose babies dance without any sweat.

Yeah...from left to right and into the ground... thumbs-up.gif

Compare the method of control with OFP and come in again.

...and what i never undrstood is why it was always easier to make a precision landing with the Jetranger in FSX including METAR weather on the top of a skyscraper than landing a MH-6 anywhere in ArmA.

Could it be that the FM in Arma ist awfully wrong...?

...and what i never undrstood is why it was always easier to make a precision landing with the Jetranger in FSX including METAR weather on the top of a skyscraper than landing a MH-6 anywhere in ArmA.

Of course it is. The flight model in both programs is wrong.

Sadly the helo controls are just one more example of why Arma is so.....disappointing. And what do we get from BIS? "Oh sorry, we know you paid a lot for Arma, we'll do our best to fix it" ? No we get advertising for Arma 2. Imagine you bought a car that didn't work, took it back to the show room, only to be given a shiny new brouchure for next years model. banghead.gif I can't imagine why BIS think anybody will fork out cash for Arma 2, considering the overall negative experiences people have had with Arma 1.

I used to love flying helos in OFP, dropping off snipers on roof tops, NOE flying through trees... ah the good old days.

Of course it is.  The flight model in both programs is wrong.

Try this one...serous Simmers don't touch the Stock Planes much, since they're buggy and have bad FM.

The MS-FS series was always considered just the basic engine that every user can fill with the broad offers of professional aircraft and scenery addons of its liking. (VBS?)

My currentl FSX install is already worth 225€.

But at least the engine allows for near to real handling.

Agree with Balschoiw and all the other umpteen people who hate the mouse auto-center.  It's annoying and consolish, and there's really no technical reason why we shouldn't get at least an option to turn it off.

If anyone does not believe this is a big issue for a huge number of users, go look it up on the bugtracker.  Its up there near the top in terms of votes. confused_o.gif

Just get a decent stick, spend some time practicing and not making forum posts saying OFP was better. OFPs flight model is essentially the same, ArmA just god rid of the pitch and bank restrictions. I use a stick all the time, and I think most people just over-correct, and that was impossible in arma because of the restrictions. The people who have mastered the joystick are easy to spot online, they come ripping in low, do an aggressive yet controlled flare without ballooning up to a soft touchdown right where they wanted... can't say the same for even the better keyboard guys.