Sign in to follow this  
durg78

Durg's Vegetation Fix

Heyho, very good modification!

Let me get this right. In order to use the proper vegetation mod (something similiar like kegety's mod but with ofp trees) I'll have make a backup of the original ArmA plants.pbo. Then I'll have to patch the plants.pbo with the proper vegetation mod and afterwards the same plants.pbo with Durg's vegetation fix and it will work? crazy_o.gif

This is awesome man, Thanks

But what is better now "Lowplants v1.1" or this?huh.gif??

with witch one do i have better performance?huh.gif

Can anyone say me that Pleas? confused_o.gif

xmas_o.gif

Ok, I have a solution to the "Durg's Vegetation Fix" vs "lowplants" issue.  It is possible to use both, but these directions must be followed...

NOTE: When I make a reference to the "ArmA" folder, I'm refering to the folder where ArmA is installed.  If you have the Atari version, this would be C:\Program Files\Atari\ArmA

(assuming you installed to your C: drive)

1) If you've already installed lowplants, then delete the Arma\lowplants folder.

2) Install Durg's Vegetation Fix (Refer to the instructions in my first post)

3) You will now install lowplants. However, when it asks for the location of your ArmA directory, choose ArmA\@DurgsVegetationFix

This will create the following directory structure:

ArmA\@DurgsVegetationFix\lowplants\addons

4) Copy the 2 pbo's in that folder to ArmA\@DurgsVegetationFix\Addons

When asked if you want to overwrite the existing plants.pbo choose yes

NOTE: This does NOT overwrite the original game's plants.pbo!!

5) Delete the ArmA\@DurgsVegetationFix\lowplants folder

6) ENJOY! biggrin_o.gif

Ok I tried it this way. So far no error messages. Can you please create an example mission? I got the feeling it's working on my pc, but I have no 100% evidence confused_o.gifsad_o.gif

Ok I tried it this way. So far no error messages. Can you please create an example mission? I got the feeling it's working on my pc, but I have no 100% evidence confused_o.gifsad_o.gif

Go to the editor, place some east units behind trees, place yourself as a west unit on the other side, press preview ... et voilá biggrin_o.gif

Make sure you save that mission of you behind the bushes, close ArmA, start ARMA without the tree fix, Load the same mission, observe how the Ai spot you through the bushes. Even more obvious, take note of the AI when they fire on you through the bushes without the mod. The only put down indirect fire and attempt to flank with the mod loaded.

Another way, would be to try sniping through a bush, with a silcened weapon. Haven't tried it yet - but I suspect it would work well.

wink_o.gif

I suspect it would work well.

It works well biggrin_o.gif

Best fun to be had is finding a nice tree on a slope, and fixing yourself higher on the slope looking through the tree. By leaning left & right (TrackIR is great for this) you can get opportunistic glimpses through the foliage. The VB geometry also occludes sound so you get a good advantage with a silenced weapon.

I suspect it would work well.

It works well biggrin_o.gif

Best fun to be had is finding a nice tree on a slope, and fixing yourself higher on the slope looking through the tree.

yaybighahaxp5.gif Can you say: <span style='color:darkblue'><span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>"Say hello to my lil friend"</span></span>

Why didn't I think of that sooner! I sense a movie soon.  whistle.gif

I got lowplants and durgs veg running sweet. Single play now plays like ofp smile_o.gif

these 2 mods running together makes the game a hell of alot more fun. I get that OFP experience after nearly one year of playing this game. For example cover actually provides cover as opposed to a funeral. Night missions are fantastic. thankyou to Durg and Kegeteys for giving this game a much needed improvement. I can't wait to see what the FDF boys have in store for us.

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ] (simba @ Nov. 05 2007,17:47)

covering a single branch with a cube isn't realistic either, in RL

you 'd see through it.

You should be at least consistent in your complaining biggrin_o.gifwink_o.gif

How does one 30-poly object manage to be any better than several discrete cubes at this? I suggest the solution that you'd accept isn't really viable.

yes sorry I wasn't very clear, my point is that:

- Durg use far to many boxes... why ?

because he tried to exactly follow the shape of the foliage.

.strlipavgfixedsitq62lo9.jpg

none should be able to hide behind such tiny branches.

I also think that using more complex shapes like BIS did would considerably reduce the polycount of view geo.

I personnaly never felt the need for such modification,

but since it seems many people are going to use it, optimizing the thing isn't a bad idea.

There are many attempt to make arma less laggy, making such unoptimized models is counter-productive imho.

it makes sense because even with posteffects high, proper depth perception is impossible in a game. The fact that in RL you can see through branches easily is because you are focusing beyond the tree. Since in the game everything is in focus it is much harder to see a few pixels beyond a tree branch.

This gives me no performance drop.

Thank you.

For some reason lowplants didn't change my fps at all..?

Anyway, that's offtopic, unless some combining of mods is in the wind, in which case I would still prefer to retain the option of using this more-real occlusion mod but without the lowplants as i like the default look on trees.

If combining is to happen please bear that in mind.

To this better/more real vegetation fix, would it not be an idea to request that BIS incorporate it into the next patch release?

That way all clients and server will be using it, and no cheating will be happening using it.  This mod should be made into a standard feature IMO.

What say you guys?

I haven't managed to test this bit yet though:

How does this affect laser-targeting?

Could it block the laser even though you can see through the branches visibly?

Just combined it with lowplants and its a great combo, works like a charm with no framerate loss.

Ok, I have a solution to the "Durg's Vegetation Fix" vs "lowplants" issue. It is possible to use both, but these directions must be followed...

NOTE: When I make a reference to the "ArmA" folder, I'm refering to the folder where ArmA is installed. If you have the Atari version, this would be C:\Program Files\Atari\ArmA

(assuming you installed to your C: drive)

1) If you've already installed lowplants, then delete the Arma\lowplants folder.

2) Install Durg's Vegetation Fix (Refer to the instructions in my first post)

3) You will now install lowplants. However, when it asks for the location of your ArmA directory, choose ArmA\@DurgsVegetationFix

This will create the following directory structure:

ArmA\@DurgsVegetationFix\lowplants\addons

4) Copy the 2 pbo's in that folder to ArmA\@DurgsVegetationFix\Addons

When asked if you want to overwrite the existing plants.pbo choose yes

NOTE: This does NOT overwrite the original game's plants.pbo!!

5) Delete the ArmA\@DurgsVegetationFix\lowplants folder

6) ENJOY! biggrin_o.gif

doing it like this will end up in having a plants.pbo (422mb) and a sara_grass.pbo in my addon folder right?

=- @ Nov. 06 2007,16:09)]doing it like this will end up in having a plants.pbo (422mb) and a sara_grass.pbo in my addon folder right?

Never ever ever install downloaded mods into your ArmA\Addons folder!  This is where the default BIS pbo's go.  All Addon folders go in the ArmA directory.

For example:

ArmA\@DurgsVegetationFix

ArmA\@TrueMods

ArmA\@CSM

Each of those folders will contain their own "Addons" folder with their respective pbo's and other files in them.

Following the instructions, you will end up with a plants.pbo and sara_grass.pbo in your ArmA\@DurgsVegetationFix\Addons folder.

wtf this batch file deleted my plants.pbo from my addons folder

banghead.gif This doesn't happen if the instructions are followed correctly.

See my previous post.

Isn't the real AI issue mainly about bushes and "fallen" trees?

This is exactly what i want to know.

What about the fallen-trees?

Any chance to change this effect? Because this is the bigger problem!

AI can always look through trees lying on the ground and shoot through them.

Maybe there are "3d-objects" for fallen-trees? Are they be also editible as "standing"(alive) trees?

Can you change these "objects" too? I have no idea how to do this smile_o.gif

(sorry for m my bad english, hope you know what I mean..)

Isn't the real AI issue mainly about bushes and "fallen" trees?

This is exactly what i want to know.

What about the fallen-trees?

Any chance to change this effect? Because this is the bigger problem!

AI can always lookthrough trees lying on the ground and this is a major problem!

(sorry for m my bad english, hope you know what I mean..)

Bushes: yes.  This mod effects bushes.

Fallen Trees: no.  Unfortunatly, this doesn't seem to be fixable.  mad_o.gif

Fallen Trees: no. Unfortunatly, this doesn't seem to be fixable. mad_o.gif

Doh! Again time to say: Shame on you Bohemia! This was already a big problem in OFP. And again in ArmA...

I just installed this mod and the shorter vegetation mod, and after the first time I launched ArmA I was greated with an error:

"Warning: preNLOD format in object ca\plants\palm_03.p3d"

Is there any solution for this? Thanks.

I just installed this mod and the shorter vegetation mod, and after the first time I launched ArmA I was greated with an error:

Is there any solution for this?  Thanks.

No, this mod does not work with any other vegetation/tree/bush mod except for Kegetys "lowplants".  Even then, the instructions are quite specific about how to install them both.

Running this on a server, without the clients using it will affect enemy ai's view through tree's correct?

It doesn't need to be installed Client Side for it to work?

Good idea though, thanks smile_o.gif

hmm this isnt working for me...

I set myself up in the editor behind some bush and set 3 AI on the other side and got shot up thru the bush right away.

My install:

I copied the mod folder into ARMA

Ran the .bat

Cut/Pasted the new Plants.pbo into my "modern" mod folder.

Note:(Lowplants was already installed in this folder)

So I am assuming I did something wrong somewhere so can anyone tell me the right way to get it running in MY mod folder instead of its own?

thx in advance,

Meat

EDIT***

Ok I redid it like the instructions exactly and just copyed all the other addons I want in my mod over to this new one and renamed the folder back to "Modern"

Now I dont understand the last part about copying the 2 pbo's from the loplants folder into the Durg's one.

If I overwrite the Plants.pbo wont that mess up all the changes that the vegetation fix just made to this same pbo??? help.gif

Is there any solution for this?  Thanks.

No, this mod does not work with any other vegetation/tree/bush mod except for Kegetys "lowplants".  Even then, the instructions are quite specific about how to install them both.

Yeah, that's what I used, but I still got this error.