Sign in to follow this  
durg78

Durg's Vegetation Fix

Wondertastic! Here I'm without internet for a weekend and is bored shitless, and when I come back it's early Christmas the M14 EBR, NWD's MBT FCS mod, the updated BTR-80, the Mk20 'Rokeye', and now this!

Even the cat is dancing the happy-dance with me! yay.gif

Very interesting, thx for this great work smile_o.gif

This sounds like a "must have" escpecially if it doesn't hurt the framerate to much! Durg, does it include view geometry improvements for all tree's and bushes or is it just the tree's? Anyway thanks for sharing Durg, will try it later!

Now, if someone could find a fix to tone down the AI's "uber triangulating" hearing capabilities when firing your weapon it really would be christmas in November  smile_o.gif

/KC

I think a well-prepared missionleader should have a concrete list of trees and bushes which are fixed :)

So, where can i get a list?

I am really surprised, which is possible everything in ArmA. wow_o.gif Respekt durg78!!

? ? ?

Oo the bat file you included changes the files in the main addon folder? how does this effect playing on a server with signature addon check on? i play on a campaign every saturday on such a server and i dont want to install ArmA twice, how can i use this fix in my own addon folder?

Good stuff! Now that we finally can use the woods this´ll come in even more handy lol

=- @ Nov. 05 2007,16:05)]
I am really surprised, which is possible everything in ArmA. wow_o.gif Respekt durg78!!

? ? ?

There´s no funky engrish speaking foreigners where you live? C´mon biggrin_o.gif

He´s been surprised by ArmA´s almost unlimited modability once again.

Can anyone confirm that there isnt a effect on the framerate with this?

Still a while till i can get home and give this a try.

=- @ Nov. 05 2007,16:16)]Oo the bat file you included changes the files in the main addon folder?

Nope, it only copy plants.pbo from the original addon folder.

One quick change in the bat and it works with lowplants:

Quote[/b] ]copy ..\..\@lowplants\addons\plants.pbo ..\addons

rename ..\addons\trees_fixed.pbo.bk trees_fixed.pbo

PatchPbo.exe ..\addons\trees_fixed.pbo ..\addons\plants.pbo

del ..\addons\plants.pbo

rename ..\addons\plants.patched.pbo plants.pbo

rename ..\addons\trees_fixed.pbo trees_fixed.pbo.bk

Quote[/b] ]

Considering the amount of calculation of LoS with these new LoD (3D geometry looks way more complex with this mod), it may impact CPU

agreed, was it necessary to use so many cubes to replaces only one 30 poly shape ?

covering a single branch with a cube isn't realistic either, in RL

you 'd see through it.

Quote[/b] ]

Considering the amount of calculation of LoS with these new LoD (3D geometry looks way more complex with this mod), it may impact CPU

agreed, was it necessary to use so many cubes to replaces only one 30 poly shape ?

Short answer - yes.

View Geometry cannot cope with concave objects, so if you want detailed VB behaviour then seperate convex objects are needed. Cubes are the simplest effective shapes for this. I think it's a great solution.

you 'd see through it.

You should be at least consistent in your complaining biggrin_o.gifwink_o.gif

How does one 30-poly object manage to be any better than several discrete cubes at this? I suggest the solution that you'd accept isn't really viable.

It works fantastic!

Thanks for another feature that should have been in the game since it's release.

Thanks!

MfG Lee thumbs-up.gif

Isn't the real AI issue mainly about bushes and "fallen" trees?

Not playing vs AI in ArmA. whistle.gif

@DMarkwick - last I checked the cube wasnt the only convex shape ever concieved, and I count alot more than 6 "discrete" cubes, something like 23 visible from this side, thats more like 138 poly's (276 triangles).

And yes their is a most viable solution, it doesnt involve cubes either.

the other problem is portayed below....

dontwaste.jpg

@DMarkwick - last I checked the cube wasnt the only convex shape ever concieved, and I count alot more than 6 "discrete" cubes, something like 23 visible from this side, thats more like 138 poly's (276 triangles).

*shrug* then don't use the feckin' thing? I use it, it's great.

And yes their is a most viable solution, it doesnt involve cubes either.

If you have some sort of point to make, just make it. Smoke & mirrors sentences don't mean anything to anybody.

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. Again, just make your point in a clear way that cannot be misinterpreted. It looks to me like you're afraid your cat may laugh at your naked tree as a result of improved VB.

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. Again, just make your point in a clear way that cannot be misinterpreted. It looks to me like you're afraid your cat may laugh at your naked tree as a result of improved VB.

He means that the shape of the cubes is too big, you can see trough most of the branches while the cubes cover not only the branches but also alot of open space around them, making the AI kinda blind.

The default Viewlod is a bit too small while this one is a bit too big.

Will the below sum up correctly what i have understood so far?

1. If you run that addon/mod on the dedicated server, then all the enemy AI in coop mode will have use the new vision, hence not being able to see through trees/bushes, eventhough none of the clients will be using the same addon?

2. Following the above scenario, the clients should run this addon only if they play in missions where there is friendly AI, otherwise they don't get any benefit?

works like a charm so far ,thanks a million modded arma or is it arma2 smile_o.gif ?

As for the see through branches , well so far there is no opening in the trees i have hid behind just full of leaves that you cannot see through nor should the ai be alowed to , unless you sit underneath it and lean against the trunk , ut that would be silly huh smile_o.gif

Will the below sum up correctly what i have understood so far?

1. If you run that addon/mod on the dedicated server, then all the enemy AI in coop mode will have use the new vision, hence not being able to see through trees/bushes, eventhough none of the clients will be using the same addon?

2. Following the above scenario, the clients should run this addon only if they play in missions where there is friendly AI, otherwise they don't get any benefit?

Yep, that's how I understand VB to work, it blocks the view of AI local to the machine. If you're a player, and you have AI teammates under your command, you'll need to run the addon if you want them affected.

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ] (simba @ Nov. 05 2007,17:47)

you 'd see through it.

You should be at least consistent in your complaining biggrin_o.gifwink_o.gif

How does one 30-poly object manage to be any better than several discrete cubes at this? I suggest the solution that you'd accept isn't really viable.

yes sorry I wasn't very clear, my point is that:

- Durg use far to many boxes... why ?

because he tried to exactly follow the shape of the foliage.

.strlipavgfixedsitq62lo9.jpg

none should be able to hide behind such tiny branches.

I also think that using more complex shapes like BIS did would considerably reduce the polycount of view geo.

I personnaly never felt the need for such modification,

but since it seems many people are going to use it, optimizing the thing isn't a bad idea.

There are many attempt to make arma less laggy, making such unoptimized models is counter-productive imho.

So many posts to reply to... let's start here..

OK, this is great smile_o.gif I see that we are both on the same page as far as VB goes wink_o.gif

It's funny how we came up with the same concept!

...my VB smoke does affect performance, but only in intense battles. VB in general is quite "cheap".

I've looked at your how your mod works (great job by the way) and I believe that you see performance impact because you are creating these VB's via a script.  It's the script that causes the performance impact.  Although, with your mod, I don't see any other way of doing it.

Beware also, this does not change the second reason behind the "AI sees through bushes" syndrom, ie supernatural audio-power of AI soldiers  They should still be able to spot and track you by ears.

Does anyone who has downloaded this mod wish to comment on their performance results?

As for the "Supernatural hearing" of AI... See the link to TrueRangeAI in my Sig.  It's a Work in Progress.

does it include view geometry improvements for all tree's and bushes or is it just the tree's?

It includes Trees and Bushes, but not all of them, as some of them seemed ok by default.  There is a list of modified ones in the ReadMe.

One quick change in the bat and it works with lowplants:...

Not so fast...  confused_o.gif I believe both mods are modifying the models, in which case your suggestion will not work.  I am however working on a solution to make them both work together... more on that later. In the mean time, I kindly ask that you remove that suggested change to the bat file to avoid confusion.  Thanks.

Yes, this allows much better granularity, as the tree's natural shape is not a simple geometric figure.

He means that the shape of the cubes is too big, you can see trough most of the branches while the cubes cover not only the branches but also alot of open space around them, making the AI kinda blind.

Yes the view blocks do cover portions of the tree that have an Alpha transparency to the texture.  However, also keep in mind that the AI do not see color, and are not effected by this transparency. Also, they are not effected by camouflage, while we are.  This does even things out fairly well.

I hope those responses have been helpful.

To everyone else, thank you all for your comments, I hope you all are enjoying this mod as much as I am.

Does anyone who has downloaded this mod wish to comment on their performance results?

I'm seeing no performance hit whatsoever, which is amazing smile_o.gif

As for the "Supernatural hearing" of AI...

People might not realise this, but viewblock geometry also obscures sound.