Sign in to follow this  
BLSmith2112

Crysis Impressions.

Its a fun game but to scifi for me. I would rather play ArmA. Im sure there will be some mods that may make crysis cool but the maps are arcadish like you can only go in one direction to a objective.

havent tried MP im sure its like bf2 and real fast paced.

Same here binkster. Reminds me of Half Life where the game seemed tedious until I encountered the marines which was good fun. The Sci-Fi bit kinda kills it for me but I had enough fun in the demo to give it a buy. Can't wait for the day when an Arma type game has this type of dynamic CQB.

Editor looks like Christmas Crack for all you Mappies!

the maps are arcadish like you can only go in one direction to a objective.  

That’s all down to the design plan of the game; you might find more open sparse game play mods.

Load the editor and you will be able to explore just like arma, it’s a case of "telling a story" and giving the user a sense of he/she is in a movie.

But that game play isn’t for everyone.

Just FYI. There's more weapons and equipment in the editor.

Chopping down trees with the helicopter or the minigun is quite fun biggrin_o.gif

For those who dont know how:

Load the mission in the editor.

Go to Archetype entity -> Pickups -> Weapons for all the weapons (SMG doesnt work).

Then select Export to engine and launch the demo.

There are more weapon-mods in the editor too. Grenadelauncher, assault scope, sniper scope, flash and smokeshell.

I just tried it and the Korean helo rox notworthy.gif !

The US tank didnt have sound though... there are quite a few vehicles in there.

I found an old character aka... sharky and he looks hungry but i dont know how to give him a.i. behaviour, the editor is a bit confusing.

For now im going to try and beat the demo using the helicopter gunship.

Thanks for the tip, i remember when Far Cry came out you became a real fan, feels like it was yesterday but its been a while smile_o.gif .

MY biggest impression is that BIS should really look and learn from Crytek. I mean honestly it's so ridiculous, I am running;

E6600

2GB DDR2 800

8800GTS 320

Here I am with most of the settings on high (only textures and shaders on medium) in the middle of a freaking jungle with vegetation everywhere all fully self shadowed and having a massive shootout that includes destroying trees and such. It's looking beautiful, running smooth and my jaw is on the floor.

Now I am in ArmA looking at a single bush on normal settings and my fps is 15 sad_o.gif

Played it .... nice Gfxs but after 4 hours it started to get a littled "old" ..... just like all the other FPS

While the almost everything is destructable idea was pretty cool (including the way stuff drops and lays) it doesnt actual make up for the stale same-same gameplay.

The so-call full open map (ie no painted backdrops) was not so free and open in the demo and I fully expect wont be open in the full version either as you are forced through valleys and hills where crafted cliffs stop your movement.

But, like a few people have commented, with XP, a Duo6420, 2GB and a 640MB 8800GTS I was VERY impressed by the fact I could run it all the way up to 1680 res with almost no frame rate drop.

Another Shooter, definitely not a Simulator.

MY biggest impression is that BIS should really look and learn from Crytek. I mean honestly it's so ridiculous, I am running;

E6600

2GB DDR2 800

8800GTS 320

Here I am with most of the settings on high (only textures and shaders on medium) in the middle of a freaking jungle with vegetation everywhere all fully self shadowed and having a massive shootout that includes destroying trees and such. It's looking beautiful, running smooth and my jaw is on the floor.

Now I am in ArmA looking at a single bush on normal settings and my fps is 15 sad_o.gif

rofl

I think you hit the nail smile_o.gif.

I like it alot and i dont even find it too arcade, i mean the heavy weaponry and suit might be but for the rest i think it plays fine.

Last night i was shooting some trees and a log hit me in the head killing me, amazing..

Anyone tried the TAC gun? crazy_o.gif .

played the Sp demo totally sucked me in even with its arcadey protected soldiers. I shoot at them like 10 rounds from 20 meters without them dying, but the sounds and stuff gives me a bit of a kick and the story seems a little bit intresting. Dunno if i will touch Mp, think i will go crazy with the suit biggrin_o.gif

DX10 effects under WinXP. (Downloadable files on page 2 there.)

Works and looks great.

But how does it play in terms of framerate?

Quote[/b] ]Thanks for the tip, i remember when Far Cry came out you became a real fan, feels like it was yesterday but its been a while.

Yep, its fun to play around with such an easy to use realtime editor.

Quote[/b] ]Go to Archetype entity -> Pickups -> Weapons for all the weapons (SMG doesnt work).

Correction, the SMG works nice.

I wonder what made Crytek go with these silly mag-capacities. 40-rnd assault mag, 50rnd smg-mag etc..

BTW:

http://www.crysis-online.com/forum/index.php?topic=11837.0

Works and looks great.

[im]http://lee.plankton.ch/Crysis_DX10.jpg[/im]

MfG Lee *waitsforJPmod*

So the DX10 features of Crysis work just fine on a DX9 card? wow_o.gif   Hmmm! Is the industry at it again? Pulling the wool over our eyes to make us fork out yet more money? And why then do we need Vista? Well it looks like we don't but we will have to buy it soon on all new machines 'cos Micro$oft will stop making it next year!!

Democracy at work!!  crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]But how does it play in terms of framerate?

it dosent sseem to affect very significantly, cost vs effect = .2 on the fps scale so to speak.

there is some very nice tute here especially one from narby how to make islands (for noobs like myself)

crymod portal

E6600

2GB DDR2 800

8800GTS 320

rofl

No, make an ARMA island the size and density as the Crysis island and you'll get as good if not better performance. I'm enjoying Crysis but the jungle is nothing more than a closed in valley or just about 10m deep into the jungle before you get a steep hill you can't climb that breaks your viewdistance so you can run a high FPS.

I'll be a believer once I see large open landscapes in this engine.

Afaik dx10 wasnt meant to introduce new graphical effects but allow the systems to handle all the intensive graphical load better (therefore allow the use and abuse of graphical effects like never before).

Theres nothing dx10 can 'show' that you cant see with dx9, but in theory a game like this should run alot better under Vista (dx10) than xp (dx9).. so either Vista is light years ahead for its time or its just fubar'ed lol.

And.. i just tried the beta drivers nvidia released for this demo and with the sandbox editor my frame rates increased very noticeably, havent tried with the demo itself yet but 169.01beta for xp32 seems real good (8800gtx).

edit:

No, make an ARMA island the size and density as the Crysis island and you'll get as good if not better performance. I'm enjoying Crysis but the jungle is nothing more than a closed in valley or just about 10m deep into the jungle before you get a steep hill you can't climb that breaks your viewdistance so you can run a high FPS.

The Crysis demo map runs better than QG's Porto for me, i cant play in Porto with the grass on (near the trees).. Crysis is over optimised (you can see objects popping up over short distance) and the terrain is layed out in a way to take advantage of oclusion but i can fly around in the editor without ever dipping bellow 30 fps.

There is no point in comparing both games though, i like both for diferent reasons but i do hope we will have the best of both worlds one day smile_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]No, make an ARMA island the size and density as the Crysis island and you'll get as good if not better performance.

i like both games dont get me wrong here and i would say honestly about what i think.

but what your saying is completely farce, you go and import a heightmap of 1024 now into v3 and set cell size to 2 meters and ,dont even put anything on it, then try same in crysis , i think you wont even get your arma isalnd to open in bulldozer.

to even balance

likewise you wont get a 4096 in 16 meter cells to open in crysis.

so like some say they both have + and -

Well you got me smile_o.gif I totally didn't think about terrain grid size.

Gnat @ Oct. 29 2007,12:42)]The so-call full open map (ie no painted backdrops) was not so free and open in the demo and I fully expect wont be open in the full version either as you are forced through valleys and hills where crafted cliffs stop your movement.

Open the editor and go wherever you want.

Gnat @ Oct. 29 2007,12:42)]The so-call full open map (ie no painted backdrops) was not so free and open in the demo and I fully expect wont be open in the full version either as you are forced through valleys and hills where crafted cliffs stop your movement.

Open the editor and go wherever you want.

Thats hardly the point .....

During the game the landscape design on the map is sectioning it off for ground units.

That can't be said for the likes of ArmA maps for example.

some funny moments like driving vehicles while cloaked = AI ignores You even if you drive over them

shooting at enemy from long distance (MG nests) = AI ignores You

dead corpses of own soldiers = AI ignores it

fire beyond 50-100m range = AI ignores it

grenade hits ground behind AI = AI instantly scream grenade and runs

other item hits ground behind AI = AI turns to examine (yeah i know You know whats that object lol)

multiple AI stick each in other or in wall = AI la ArmA dejavu

drop dozen of weaposn into civil truck back or at boat and drive, all cores spikes to 100% (physics overload) and items fall thru vehicle while lagging the system to death

anyway thank god this is juts pre-release 'beta' demo or i just die by all bugs and glitches i noticed ...

---

anyway there is excelent Crysis tweaking guide with TONs of parameters to change in config including table what's in what predefined set

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=11614

plz add AI walking trough walls to that list biggrin_o.gif

Well apart from the AI im pretty impressed by the engine. Too bad its quite boring if you have only morons to shoot at. Looking forward to the MP games

BTW I never thought it would run that well on my PC. with the very high settings tweak I get 15fps, wich plays quite smooth. (x1950 5125mb 2GB 1,86Ghz c2d)

The strange thing is that my laptop has trouble with even medium settings (8600GT 512mb, 2GB, 2Ghz c2d)... should be same right?

Afaik dx10 wasnt meant to introduce new graphical effects but allow the systems to handle all the intensive graphical load better (therefore allow the use and abuse of graphical effects like never before).

Theres nothing dx10 can 'show' that you cant see with dx9, but in theory a game like this should run alot better under Vista (dx10) than xp (dx9).. so either Vista is light years ahead for its time or its just fubar'ed lol.

People who have both Vista and XP on their rigs say that they have better performance under DX9 Very High settings as opposed to DX10 Very High.

BTW:

http://www.crysis-online.com/forum/index.php?topic=11837.0

Works and looks great.

http://lee.plankton.ch/Crysis_DX10.jpg

MfG Lee *waitsforJPmod*

Realy great found Lee. Thxs.

I have read at the release-launch in nov 2007 there will be a graphical-setting called "ultra high" which is not yet in the demo. Any comments to this?

E6600

2GB DDR2 800

8800GTS 320

rofl

Nevertheless I am getting better framerates in crysis than out on open ocean in ArmA with no visible land.

If programmed really well, the ArmA engine wouldn't care about objects longer than your viewdistance away - yet it does.

Very few maps in Far Cry forced you to go only one way. The tutorial-map (the first level) is one of them.

Most of the maps in Far Cry are quite open or atleast lets you choose from multiple paths (more than 2).

I'm not judging Crysis' map-design based on the first level of the game. Its supposed to teach you the basic game mechanics (notice all the keyboard hints during the game?). The best way to do that is to force the player to go one way only and not "confuse" the player with choices.