Sign in to follow this  
telejunky

ArmA 2

I suppose this conflict is supposed to happen sometime after 2011 as no F-35s will be in service before that time.
Quote[/b] ]ArmA 2 is set in the near future, year 2009

source: official ArmA2 website wink_o.gif

anyway that fact about F-35 deliveries is not so irritating for me, it's just a game you know smile_o.gif

- no dynamic destructions

I like to know reason to why they´ll drop this features out of ArmA 2? It is rly so demanding to hardware to make it working in large scale islands or what? I hope they will release at least that demo where u can satchell all houses and those are destoyable part by part getting down and the code is done so why they cant even support that in ArmA2?

It would take a lot of time and as you said hardware demand to implement it into the game.

@adamicz

Is that confirmed from BIS ?

Thanks for the info and the translation. smile_o.gif

- full DirectX 10 and Vista support

- they're still looking for a publisher

- release: June 2008 (or 6 months sooner or later, as Maruk said   biggrin_o.gif )

Vista support eh?

What isn't supported in ArmA1 then? I'm running Vista Home Prem, I don't see any issues (Maybe performance, but I'm working on that)...

Any ideas what they mean?

I find it very interesting that the fully dynamic nature of the campaign, should it remain so, is not being fully exploited as a USP. The presence of the effect upon the civilian population indicates some degree of non-linearity (and an on-going conflict) but all of this could simply be handled in much the same way that the campaign of ArmA was branched, or how many dynamic user missions in ArmA are already handled - i.e. how many civvies died = proportion of resistance / lack of intel. What I would be far more interested in is the dynamic assignment of missions based on a constantly changing battlefield - supply lines, targets of opportunity, lengthy ops deep behind enemy lines etc. The whole 'AI general' aspect hasn't been mentioned AT ALL and that, to be honest, is very worrying from the standpoint of looking at what ArmA2 offers over ArmA (apart AI etc.).

...What I would be far more interested in is the dynamic assignment of missions based on a constantly changing battlefield - supply lines, targets of opportunity, lengthy ops deep behind enemy lines etc. ...

From what i remember of Game2's wright up was that it would involve all of those things.

Lets hope eh?

...What I would be far more interested in is the dynamic assignment of missions based on a constantly changing battlefield - supply lines, targets of opportunity, lengthy ops deep behind enemy lines etc. ...

Lets hope eh?

Lets not, hope only leads to disappointments. tounge2.gif

Lets hope eh?

Lets not, hope only leads to disappointments. tounge2.gif

This would be possible though, right?

I thought some one was toying with the idea in OFP, a mission on Kolgojev i think....not too sure though.

Thanks for the info, Adamicz.

Remember people, dynamic destruction isn't only about hardware and optimisation, it's also about AI pathfinding and intelligence. Getting the AI to know not to run into a 12 foot pile of rubble will be difficult in the destruction is totally dynamic. Similarly, I assume it'd be hard to code in the AI walking through a hole made in a house wall, or use a pile of bricks for cover.

I like to know reason to why they´ll drop this features out of ArmA 2? It is rly so demanding to hardware to make it working in large scale islands or what? I hope they will release at least that demo where u can satchell all houses and those are destoyable part by part getting down and the code is done so why they cant even support that in ArmA2?

I would like to know as well... DD was the main feature I was looking forward to in ArmA2. Now, if the dynamic campaign is missing as well, the games probly just going to be ArmA with a few VBS2 features and more view distance (tho from the latest article it sounds like the campaign might still be dynamic).

I will not be able to get over the fact of how confident BIS spoke about the DD back in 05. They talked about how it was scaleable and should run even on weaker PC's and all that. Which is not something you do as a game developer unless your damn sure it will work. So how do you go from that, to it being absent from the game all together... this leads me to believe it was something other then it just not being possible.

If could be that since we know VBS2 will get DD at some point, perhaps it has become a VBS2 exclusive feature. If ArmA2 has too many features it will risk being compitition for VBS2. Its also possible, and perhaps the most likely that DD was removed from the game becuase of the 360 version. The devs spoke oh so confident about the system at E3 05... now we hear about a 360 version, and DD is gone from the game. Its very possible the devs wanted to avoid having to make a totally diffrent damage system from the 360 version and just scrapped it all together.

Sure, its possible its just not feasable to do DD on everything at this time. But then why not use it on SOME buildings. Its likely ArmA2 will not have too many buildings you can enter, so why not have dynamic destruction on thoes few you can enter? And why not keep it for vehicles... the vehicle damage models are terrible for OFP and ArmA. Why not at least keep it for vehicles? DD could have been kept in the game on a lower scale if it was not possible to do it full scale... so its would seem at least somewhat likely that there was some other reason behind it.

Well a lot of people complained about bad performance in ArmA and now we want dynamic destruction on such large and dense populated Island aswell? crazy_o.gif But maybe they can do something like in ArmA, not dynamic but more parts of buildings that can be destroyed I think I've seen this done on Company of Heroes.

well tis is how it looked along time ago when some guy reviewed it

i cant see Bis ever going backwards so anything less than this would be a surprise .

This is what i have always expected of ofp2-game2-arma2 in its many guises i have had this text on my hard drive for along time and i always look at it when i see speculation about game2.

Quote[/b] ]The game takes physics to the extreme, so not only do vehicles (be they land, sea or air) look far more convincing then before but actually features a fully integrated destructible model that helps to bring buildings down with unmatched realism – a mortar fired from a tank crashed into a building and left a wake of destruction, which continued to collapse after a significant time all based on real-world forces. Wandering into such a derelict building can be a hazardous occasion, as Marek explained when a precariously balanced bit of debris fell on his head. Nothing about this is scripted so you’ll never see buildings or vehicles destroyed in the same way; it was honestly remarkable and highlighted just how far Operation Flashpoint 2 is above the vast majority of physics-driven titles out there. Bullets as well react differently based on a variety of factors such as the angle of impact and the target structure along, significantly highlighted with trace fire shooting off in the horizon; it’s something that BiS like to call kinetic energy, the dispersal of energy from the bullet to the point of contact and whether it penetrates or deflects.

EDIT

would also like to finally comment that i dont expect any destructables in mp, it would be an asbolute bonus if anything more than the bridge type is present.

I havent played mp since ofp and my ideal situation would be , in reasonable form a brilliant dynamic campaign with destructable objects buildings etc in sp . In dream form 2 player online dynamic campaign with some destruciton.

Guest Ti0n3r

I do believe it's a bit too early to jump to the conclusion that ArmA II will lack dynamic destruction of buildings.

But if it will turn out that way I can only see one cause really; Incompetence.

I do believe it's a bit too early to jump to the conclusion that ArmA II will lack dynamic destruction of buildings.

But if it will turn out that way I can only see one reason really; Incompetence.

Incompetence?

Hehe, nice one!

biggrin_o.gif

How about a decision based on technical facts, instead of incompetence?

I wouldn't worry too much about dynamic destruction. It either is in the game or it isn't, but no one should go crazy over it. A game is never going to be able to simulate the world exactly how it is... I mean if you are doing dynamic destruction then I demand you start doing Strength of Materials Finite Element Method calculations for all objects in the game, to know how much they deform and what kind of stress is in each point of the objects with given loads and supports. Otherwise how are you going to accurately simulate destruction?

By the way that kind of calculation is not going to happen in computer games any time soon.

Just a joke, don't take this FEM talk seriously tounge2.gif

But if it will turn out that way I can only see one reason really; Incompetence.

Incompetence?

Hehe, nice one!

biggrin_o.gif

How about a decision based on technical facts, instead of incompetence?

I wouldn't worry too much about dynamic destruction. It either is in the game or it isn't, but no one should go crazy over it. A game is never going to be able to simulate the world exactly how it is... I mean if you are doing dynamic destruction then I demand you start doing Strength of Materials Finite Element Method calculations for all objects in the game, to know how much they deform and what kind of stress is in each point of the objects with given loads and supports. Otherwise how are you going to accurately simulate destruction?

By the way that kind of calculation is not going to happen in computer games any time soon.

Just a joke, don't take this FEM talk seriously  tounge2.gif

The big thing about the DD is that it was played as the main feature that would make "Game2" a true next gen game. That bit of text that ofp2 posted shows just how the devs talked about it back then... never saying "It might not make it to the final game". You just don't do that unless you know damn well you can do it. Hell once they had the DD system to a point where it was useable in game (obviouslly at that point at E3 2005) they should have been able to tell if it would be possible to use... long before they publicly mentioned it. Which is why I still say there might be more to it then it simply being too load heavy. (if it is in fact not in the game).

Id rather the game have a lower view distance, less detailed models and have dynamic destruction instead of high detailed models and 15km view distance. All of that means crap when you have the same old burned vehicle models and same building since OFP.

Well a lot of people complained about bad performance in ArmA and now we want dynamic destruction on such large and dense populated Island aswell? crazy_o.gif But maybe they can do something like in ArmA, not dynamic but more parts of buildings that can be destroyed I think I've seen this done on Company of Heroes.

yes, company of heroes has this feature. And this is really good. this is enough in my opinion.

Quote[/b] ]dynamic destructions
that would be useless for the buildings, but that would interesting for the vehicles. smile_o.gif

new preview from GC (only in Czech) - http://games.tiscali.cz/previews/arma2gc/index.asp

some new bits in it, so I took them out:

- the story is about post-soviet republic Chernarus. Part of the country is occupied by pro-russian minority which begins terrorize inhabitants. A goverment asked USA for a help, so you're going there as USMC member to establish the rule of law. But the Russia stepped in to destruct the radical anti-russian nationalist army, whereupon US forces retreated but you and your unit are still in Chernarus.

- you can choose and join the side you want to fight with

- important is your attitude towards civilian population

- map of Chernarus is 300 sq. km big (based on Czech Central Mountains 1:1)

- most of the time you will have five-man group in hand, again with switch function

- some new peaces in vehicle list (obviously "Game 2" stuff): T-90, AVV, BMP-3, BTR-90, Tunguska-M1, C-130J, F-35

- some mix of FPS and RTS-like stuff in MP: in one of the mode, the commander of every team can buy vehicles or build factories crazy_o.gif

- BIS wants to transfer most of the SP missions into MP

- the MP game should be saved on a server (including every change in it) so you can continue with it later (now, I'm not sure if it's related just to one the modes or all of them)

- full DirectX 10 and Vista support

- they're still looking for a publisher

- release: June 2008 (or 6 months sooner or later, as Maruk said biggrin_o.gif )

That's all folks

smile_o.gif

Awesome man. V.many thanks notworthy.gif

So far from what you supplied, it sounds fantastic biggrin_o.gif

DX10 support huh.gif Does that mean that the graphics engine will be upgraded huh.gif

Sounds like CTI is basicly built in. I wonder if it will work or will it be shit like the already built in arma version. Most SP Missions to MP sounds like a good coop campaign if they kick it off right. smile_o.gif

Dynamic Destructions im not fussed on. Aslong as they get the gameplay kickass. Im surprised 505 hasnt jumped at it yet. For UK anyway.... smile_o.gif

Then theres the bit im iffy about. June 2008. 6 months sooner or later. Lets pray earlier. Chances are itll be later though icon_rolleyes.gif

Heh I read this after watching the ArmA II videos:

NOTICE! all material on video is in BETA stage and does not represent the final product!

Funny... Thats what they said about ArmA. rofl.gif

Of course a joke... but brings up some points...

Great features. But, as most of us here, I only belive when I see them.

Again looking for a publisher confused_o.gif

Ok, release in june plus 6 sounds more realistic to me, Ill buy that.

Guest Ti0n3r

Oh my. Sounds like they kept what they 'promised' years ago biggrin_o.gif

I didn't read the whole thread, but anyone notice the pilots have North Sahrani flags on their arms? I dont think they made a new model yet eh? Or even retex'd it tounge2.gif lol.

EDIT: also, the yellow marker on that sight in the last video coems out of the sight and floats in the air at certain angles. Lol.

Edit3: The effects when you get shot look cool. and when you die it goes black... thats better.

Quote[/b] ]Maybe it’s a pity, but the implementation of complex high quality Destruction model would cost too much time and require too good HW in large world like this.

Why cant I stop thinking about the XBOX 360 here, bits meh.