Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

Visitor 3!

BI WIKI - Visitor 3 manual

Contains a reference PBL config, allowing import of PNG heightmap. This should be the most simple method.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class cfg

{

PNGfilename="world.png";

squareSize=5.000000;

originX=0;

originY=0;

minHeight=120.000000;

maxHeight=735.000000;

};

edit : Double LOL smile_o.gif

Nifty tool...

Here come's your first ArmA Race Track Island...

yay.gifrofl.gif

Now Visitor 3 is out for more than two hours, is it totally out of line to demand an ETA from Cedaie's "Australia 102x102" island?  smile_o.gif

have you guys ever tried to use the GeoControl, to generate maps for arma?

http://www.cajomi.de/GeoControl/geocontrol.htm

It's a great tool. Dice, EA Game its using it in their new game BATTLEFIELD: BAD COMPANY.

I downloaded the demo, and wow, its so easy to use, and it's really amazing, i will try to use it in arma.

It's a great tool. Dice, EA Game its using it in their new game BATTLEFIELD: BAD COMPANY.

I downloaded the demo, and wow, its so easy to use, and it's really amazing, i will try to use it in arma.

Hmm nice smile_o.gif I'm going to try it too. If it works I'll certainly buy it.

Hmm nice smile_o.gif I'm going to try it too. If it works I'll certainly buy it.

HA HA HA biggrin_o.gif holy crap I was a beta tester for that in it's early days biggrin_o.gif it's certainly a great tool. I'll be buying smile_o.gif

IT WORKS !!! notworthy.gif

visitor3gf4.jpg

1) generate your terrain.

2) export terrain as TGA heightmap

3) convert the created image into .png 16bit/pixel greyscale

4) Create a .pbl file and fill it with necessary information. wich i don't know .

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class cfg

{

PNGfilename="world.png";

squareSize=5.000000;

originX=0;

originY=0;

minHeight=0.000000;

maxHeight=3760.000000;

};

5) from Visitor , "import terrain from picture"

Hmm, what did you use? Whenever I try to do it with photoshop I get strange results, basicly nothing like it should be.

BMP greyscale works. but the ground is "granulared". mainly due to how geocontrol works.

Relief is preserved . and TGA seem to not work well right.

But i think the more precise way is to use XYZ. find a DEM data , and converte it to ascii XYZ. then you can directly import. without any .pbl file.

i have a tool named microdem , who can many file type to XYZ map, but it's a very complex stuff , i don't know how use it. i 'm still looking for how "calibrated" Z value , for restore a 0Meter min altitude.

my attempt to import my XYZ converted DEM in visitor3 result in

big block , at 1200Meter over the sea. but on this block , map is perfect ...

BMP greyscale works. but the ground is "granulared". mainly due to how geocontrol works.

But i think the more precise way is to use XYZ. find a DEM data , and converte it to ascii XYZ. then you can directly import. without any .pbl file.

i have a tool named microdem , who can many file type to XYZ map, but it's a very complex stuff , i don't know how use it. i 'm still looking for how "calibrated" Z value , for restore a 0Meter min altitude.

"2) export terrain as BMP grayscale (8bit/pixel)"

It's because you used 8bits.

I had the same problem too, but i used TGA, and it worked fine in my engine.

But i sugges that you post it in the GC forum, or send an e-mail to Cajomi. He will help you.

"2) export terrain as BMP grayscale (8bit/pixel)"

It's because you used 8bits.

I had the same problem too, but i used TGA, and it worked fine in my engine.

But i sugges that you post it in the GC forum, or send an e-mail to Cajomi. He will help you.

Thanks. it works with targa now.

i wasnt using good color mode in photoshop.

notworthy.gif

Under which tab should I export under geocontrol? Is it important? Also, I get it into a 16bpp greyscale in photoshop, but when I import it I just get a ribbed terrain for some reason, instead of what I need.

EDIT:

Wilbur saved the day!

Is anyone else using Wilbur to test their terrains?

I am using it atm , and it looks like its still a very effective tool to "draw" islands.

smile_o.gif

Try editing the decimals, im not 100% sure what arms default "sea" level is set too.

I know in ofp, it wasn’t set to 0, but more like 4/5 for physical land (a beach)

Keeps the feedback flowing; we are all in the same boat here chaps.

We definitly need some GOOD and CLEAR tutorial. We need a .dem to Visitor 3 tutorial. And a How to make Island texture tutorial.

In the future we will need a very long and detailled help for how to make island from real database.

If i get it right this is just a preview to satisfy us and stop us from moaning and whining!?

Visitor3 by now miss some essential functions like cell selection and terrain modification.

Or I'm to dumb to find it in the Menus or is my Keyboard dammaged, cos after pressing serveral time F9 nothing happens. No Terrain Editing function tool bar opens.

""Visitor3 by now miss some essential functions like cell selection and terrain modification.

Or I'm to dumb to find it in the Menus or is my Keyboard dammaged, cos after pressing serveral time F9 nothing happens. No Terrain Editing function tool bar opens. ""

same here i guess these may come along after queens gambit smile_o.gif.j/k

its a very nice piece of software this and that calculator is a godsend. only problem i am having at the moment is ,when i add my

config as per the tute my config is .cpp the things asking for .cfg .

if i select all files it works , but my nogova (ceated a panaoram using adobe from all exisiting textures and sized to 1024) created layers from the original satelite and layermask looks like shit, a few resemble what it should be but the other 15 or so ar simple lines of colour.

Still i think the experimenting is best part of this whole process.

Guest RKSL-Rock

Cell Selection and Terrain editing are in the drop down tool box. Look for "Terrain Vertices". Its in the manual.

Cell Selection and Terrain editing are in the drop down tool box. Look for "Terrain Vertices". Its in the manual.

toolsmf4.jpg

... and where?

Guest RKSL-Rock
Cell Selection and Terrain editing are in the drop down tool box.  Look for "Terrain Vertices".  Its in the manual.

... and where?

In the Floating Tool Box.

tg1.jpg