Sign in to follow this  
Anon55

Arma and VBS2

Just had alook at some vbs videos and I was wondering just how differnt Arma is to VBS2, I realise that VBS2 will have a lot of extra content but on a basic level is'nt one just a cutdown version of the other. Also wouln't it be cool if some of the vehicles etc were added into Arma?. smile_o.gif

well i think so.

and it would be cool, yeah.

maybe someday.. smile_o.gif

VBS2 is the ArmA engine, with extras developed by the VBS2 programming team, and a unique library of content. VBS2 also has a wide variety of minor variant content (woodland/desert pairs and m2/m240/mk19 hwmmv's), while ArmA contains a range of unique content that does not have comparable VBS2-native content (non-ME civilians, vegetation, several vehicles and whole structures classes).

For example, there are actually quite a few weapons, vehicles, objects, and characters, that are 'exclusive' to ArmA in the sense that VBS2 does not have comparable content, and that their performance does not fit the VBS2 profiles. There is also a significant amount of core ArmA content that actually came from VBS2 development as well.

One vital difference is that entertainment products like ArmA are targeted at markets where you need a 'fair fight' for replayability and enjoyment. VBS2 is used for training to teach how not to 'fight fair'. The RTE for example would be a cheater's dream. Look at the MP and mission editing sections here, and how much the 'cool things' that allow for in-mission dynamic content creation get banned because of abuse by griefers.

Well, only if they repainted them with decent textures rofl.gif .

Seriously now, just forget it exists and focus on Arma, the expantion is in the making and there are many interesting comunity projects to look forward to smile_o.gif .

well...probably i wouldn't worry about the content, vehicles, weapons etc...because when official mod tools come out...you'll be surprised what the community can come up with...;)

Funny thing is the code is in there for VBS2, just not implemented into the game... Ever get stuck on top of a chopper rotor? You can fly around on top of the chopper and fire your weapon at targets with no problem. wink_o.gif

You also get better customer support for Arma as well, if VBS1 is anything to go by be sure...

You also get better customer support for Arma as well, if VBS1 is anything to go by be sure...

That my friend is alot of bollocks,the BIA/VBS1-2 team have great customer support and are by far the most helpful....hands down.

Funny thing is the code is in there for VBS2, just not implemented into the game... Ever get stuck on top of a chopper rotor? You can fly around on top of the chopper and fire your weapon at targets with no problem. wink_o.gif

you mean that vbs2 has walk on moving vehicles and its just not activated??

Funny thing is the code is in there for VBS2, just not implemented into the game... Ever get stuck on top of a chopper rotor? You can fly around on top of the chopper and fire your weapon at targets with no problem.  wink_o.gif

you mean that vbs2 has walk on moving vehicles and its just not activated??

Convoy Trainer is activated on VBS2,Seen here

http://www.vbs2.com/site/screenshots.html

Enjoy

wow_o.gif

i cannot understand why the sounds and the tracers of vbs2 arent in arma. banghead.gif

i cannot understand why the sounds and the tracers of vbs2 arent in arma. banghead.gif

There are plenty of sound mods available for ArmA, and realistic tracers will be modded into ArmA inevitably (some good ones were made for OFP).

Quote[/b] ]lol but VBS2 has everything ArmA has.

Yes, but it also costs 50 times the price, and the extra features probably wouldnt be used by most people.

Does VBS2 support normal maps? Doesn't look like it does in most of the screenshots.

I don't know if it does or doesn't but I think they're not there because they don't care that much about candy as they do about functunality.

That my friend is alot of bollocks,the BIA/VBS1-2 team have  great customer support and are by far the most helpful....hands down.

Maybe the several glasses of red i had consumed made my post incorrect.

its OT as well so i withdraw the comments made

I don't know if it does or doesn't but I think they're not there because they don't care that much about candy as they do about functunality.

It does just as well as ArmA does, because that portion of the engine is identical. However, the absence of them in the content makes for faster, cheaper, smoother, and more quantity of content.

Because the people who make VBS are not the same people who make ArmA. Their respective company headquarters are not even in the same hemisphere.

VBS2 is a simulator.

ArmA is a game.

And what BIS really imho doesnt get, is just that, people want the simulator... its the same reason people buy Flight Simulator. I know they wouldn't make money on the licensing, but couldnt they restrict mass usage? I dont know but anyways, I hope we can get more simulation, its what makes Flight Simulator fun.

>And what BIS really imho does get, is just that, some people want the simulator... its the same reason some people buy Flight Simulator

Fixed your post ;o)

>And what BIS really imho does get, is just that, some people want the simulator... its the same reason some people buy Flight Simulator

Fixed your post ;o)

IF they really get it, then they could of asked their "partner" if they could use the same engine funtionality... I can fix my own post thank you very much, IF I deemed it worthy.

Furthermore, ArmA and OFP should be a sim, and I am confident most others feel this way, not all mind you, but most. Why else would people be complaining about realism all the time? biggrin_o.gif

If i seem abrupt, its late and a little sleepy...

Edit: Ha! just one look at my last line there shows i need some sleep rofl.gif

Intresting pics on the VBS page, now i know at least what CSLA and Combat! mod doing nowadays.

Thats Real time Editor in VBS2 is not MP workable, as you can save/load/edit missions in it, Its just a 3d Editor like the 2d one which cant be abused. Unless you hacked the core game files which isnt possible in vbs. Now the Command Tools they have are.