Sign in to follow this  
[aps]gnat

Shoot from moving vehicles

sweet, hope you release soon, i was some other poeple working on this but i never got their code working but hope you put out the scripts or whatever is needed and some short explanation or demo mission so we can get it working quickly biggrin_o.gif

mm i would hope it would work in mp but if doesnt maybe its something we can ask Bi for help. smile_o.gif

I hope that all arma users will demand this features from BIS to be in ArmA withot any extra modding. When we get working Geo LOD so we could free walkable inside all moving vehicles? Nice works howver.

i'm impressed wow_o.gif any chance it can be applied to the AI as well ?

Good work could be fun to attach other stuff a AV-8B to a M1A1 now that would be a super weapon now if we get it in mp then wel with a UNA pilot and me in the tank well what can i say.

So I guess if you are looping a 3d coordinate inside the vehicle that means the player is unable to move in the vehicle? Yet can shoot? That's awesome. I am curious, can you crouch or go prone?

Gnat @ June 19 2007,17:52)]<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:DarkRed'>Active Cargo</span></span>

... for lack of a better name

How about "HitchHiker" or HH1.0 just an idear for free smile_o.gif

[APS]Gnat

comments there are a bit boring... smile_o.gif

can't say i'm amazed. It was made even ib ofp just with a little more math wink_o.gif Now you can make it better adjusting unit position for vehicle tilt/bank with setvectorup/dir.

I guess that's what are you doing ? wink_o.gif Cause the screens provided on the first page can be made with 3-4 lines script...

Gnat is using part of a script I posted in a sample mission here http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=61522

Neither of us have ever said it was complicated or 100% new. Sometimes you have to be carefull not to react, to the reactions on the forum. Read what Gnat originaly said. Not everyone is familiar with scripting, so they may very well be gratefull, regardless of complexity. If someone writes somthing, that will be usefull to them?

With the chopper transport, he is putting four new commands to good use, to solve a specific problem.

After seeing and playing Karillions stuff online, the chopper transport

It should be able to work MP for a few units

Are you calling it from a useraction ? Because in OFP useractions weren't global

Thoughts I have had also is like what BAS did, they used the turret.

Now with multiple turret too, possible could define to switch the proxy to what weapon the soldier uses

Quote[/b] ]Thoughts I have had also is like what BAS did, they used the turret.

Didn't BAS use Hidden selections with a pre-defined weapon in the p3d? Actually thinking about it, there is a new way. Given we have a few more new commands but it still won't account for proper animations.

Edit:

Well it depends on being able to add weapons to a specific turret, via scripts?

Could this be used as part of a vehicle addon instead of a mission script?

Say having a blackhawk have a pre-determined sniper position from which he would be able to fire?

I tried replicating this, and I ran into the same problems that everyone else had. But it was fun to have dudes shooting off the littlebird. The gunners randomly die and their targeting is reduced greatly.

http://s179.photobucket.com/albums....ird.flv

It is kinda useless, but fun for a few minutes.

I suppose you could call that a simulation, Must be pretty hard to hold onto a LB's seat with your your rear end

It could work in MP without any significant lag, if you could localize a unit's coordinates. In other words, instead of sharing the units x,y,z coordinates (not direction) with all the clients, you could give every vehicle an attribute that lists all the units that are 'Active Cargo' and do rest client-side.

The list contains the unit and its position in the vehicle. So the position of a unit can be calculated locally instead of the server having to share the coordinates to all the clients, as long as each client knows the 'Active Cargo' lists of each vehicle on the map, which shouldn't be as sharing intensive as doing the other way.

Quote[/b] ]Thoughts I have had also is like what BAS did, they used the turret.

Didn't BAS use Hidden selections with a pre-defined weapon in the p3d? Actually thinking about it, there is a new way. Given we have a few more new commands but it still won't account for proper animations.

Edit:

Well it depends on being able to add weapons to a specific turret, via scripts?

as to my understanding players are local in MP, I doubt that we will get this solved with set... commands

using turret would be good from engine/performance side

didn't someone made in OPF planes with selectable weapon loadout?

possible issues:

major: change turret model to player weaon on the fly

minor: Ammo count for single mag when the player gets out of vehicle

big plus: works in MP

simplified solution: add MG turret to any door/window to keep people happy during flight pistols.gif

on the other hand, with the (more realistic) view and fight distances we get in Arma together with penetration, it is good that people hurry to get out of the transport.

a tight ball of trigger happy people in an unarmored transport + a single quiet hand with an heavy automatic weapon = goodnight.gifgoodnight.gifgoodnight.gifgoodnight.gif ...

QuietMan

so need this for the hueys in VTE smile_o.gif

good luck with it gnat.

Quote[/b] ]didn't someone made in OPF planes with selectable weapon loadout?

Yeah that was Aces, although you don't need to go to quite as far. Assigning the correct proxy is easy enough. Assuming you have a custom made model with enough proxies.

But you don't appear to be able to add and remove weapons to and from, the additional turrets using scripts? Without that ability, you will have to hard code a weapon into the config.

I am curious, can you crouch or go prone?

I'd like to know that too. Is it possible for the 'cargo' unit to change stance or do they have to be constantly stood up in the truck, and crouched in the BH?

The helipad application on moving ships is great.

It could work in MP without any significant lag, if you could localize a unit's coordinates. In other words, instead of sharing the units x,y,z coordinates (not direction) with all the clients, you could give every vehicle an attribute that lists all the units that are 'Active Cargo' and do rest client-side.

The list contains the unit and its position in the vehicle. So the position of a unit can be calculated locally instead of the server having to share the coordinates to all the clients, as long as each client knows the 'Active Cargo' lists of each vehicle on the map, which shouldn't be as sharing intensive as doing the other way.

Good notion smile_o.gif

I expect it might be possible to walk about on moving platforms in this fashion too. I would expect people to see some amount of normal passenger lag for the outside world, but have a smooth localised (on the platform) experience. Which would be great smile_o.gif

Hi, true great job, but i think that what we'll need, is to figure out

how they did it in the VBS1/VBS2 and do the same. Also... is almost

useless if you only can move the weapon at the same speed that

you move with the M136 AT4, and as important, if you can't move

inside the vehicle (walk). That's what we should figure out how they

did it in the VBS1/VBS2 to make this perfect, as it should be and

what we should have (from BIS) from a begining; but is a big improvement

in my opinion anyway. Let's C ya

Looking good..

We've all seen scripts like this before though, what sets this apart from previous attempts? I'm not talking technically, I'm talking practicality of use.. can't recall previous iterations ever being adopted widely.

Ignoring the problems with MP..

The minute I have to use a specific vehicle (as I recall with BAS's walk around inside Chinook addon) or have only 1 guy fixed in place in the back of a 5 tonner - I loose interest.

My ideal would be a "standard", similar to what JAM did for weapons and magazines..

"Simply" being seated as cargo + the added ability to shoot off a couple of rounds would be great. Open top 4 wheel drive vehicles are nearly useless since everyone remains calmly seated as rounds tear up the vehicles interior. Perhaps a set of custom static animations\poses that look somewhat natural (while turning like a turret biggrin_o.gif) that could be applied across a range of vehicle positions..?

Hi, true great job, but i think that what we'll need, is to figure out

how they did it in the VBS1/VBS2 and do the same. Also... is almost

useless if you only can move the weapon at the same speed that

you move with the M136 AT4, and as important, if you can't move

inside the vehicle (walk). That's what we should figure out how they

did it in the VBS1/VBS2 to make this perfect, as it should be and

what we should have (from BIS) from a begining; but is a big improvement

in my opinion anyway. Let's C ya

I think that VBS1/VBS2 have the ability in the engine, arma have the same engine but with some possibilities just disabled... so I don't think we can do what vbs1/2 can do in the same way...

regards,

pepel

I think that VBS1/VBS2 have the ability in the engine, arma have the same engine but with some possibilities just disabled.

If there is some disabled options in game engine what just made by BIS not BIA then I am not happy why they cant carry those features to this public version of VBS2..

If there is some disabled options in game engine what just made by BIS not BIA then I am not happy why they cant carry those features to this public version of VBS2..

because then the military wouldnt bother paying the high price for VBS2 and just buy a bunch of arma copies.

face it, the military will always get more attention and features then the civies, simply more money to be made that way.

BIS is a business afterall.