Sign in to follow this  
[aps]gnat

Shoot from moving vehicles

The idea of letting the client do the loop is good, but then we need a setposLocal, because a setpos is global, so you recieve the setpos of everyone + the setpos you're doing locally...

Not completely familiar with that type of coding, but isn't it possible to run on all the linked computers a script, that contains an if-statement to see whether the computer is a client and not a server or a server and not a client, and then execute the commands associated with the if-statement local to the computers on which the if-statement returned "true"?

yes, ofc that is possible, but I was thinking the position the local loop would set, could interfer with the position that the server sends.

Since every client is updating the pos of the unit (wich is global) you might get some serious traffic, and sync problems.

Its worth the test tho.

Very simple explanation :

For VBS1 a basic hack was created entirely by BIA in BIA's branch of the engine without any involvement by BIS. Most importantly, the state values of the components were integrated as part of the native netcode, so it 'just worked' in MP without any script hacks at all.

The primary difficulty with the system is that it essentially requires all the models to be remade from scratch.You can't model them using optimized virtual methods (eggshell model) you have to build your models as though you were building solid models, to account for the proper physics processing of the different components.

A scripted system is not going scale well because of the inherent latency of the system. The local pos of the cargo is dependent on the scripted pos of the transport. That then has to be transmitted and replicated on remote systems. In MP, the 'warping' or 'teleporting' shows evidence of client-side interpolation of MP pos data. So you'd have to wait for the warping to stabilize before you could accurately position the cargo in relation to the previously unknown object position. This situation is obviously complicated when the driver and the cargo are significantly remote to each other.

In regards to vehicle functionality, those suggesting hopping in and out of seats and gun positions need to go back and educate themselves on how the proxy system and vehicle logic works. When you're 'in' a vehicle, you are merely a rendered part of that vehicle, regardless of functionality. When you are in close proximity to a vehicle, but not actually in a proxy position, you are part of a completely independent entity, and are tracked as such. There is no connection in that case between you and the nearby vehicle, and in fact there would likely be significant collisions instead.

maybe this will be much simpler when BIS release the tools.

That is if they will released them someday. I start to doubt it.

Quote[/b] ]maybe this will be much simpler when BIS release the tools.

You don´t get it ? It´s not about the tools, it´s about the engine itself and the way it handles models.

banghead.gif

You can model all day and night and still will end up with fixed positions for units on vehicles. Now that there are multiple turrets with Arma models can be made that use multiple gun positions, but that´s it. There won´t be a magical white rabbit jumping out of the hat just because you wish that it would do so.

Quote[/b] ]That is if they will released them someday. I start to doubt it.

What in Mareks words do you not understand ? They will be released prior Queens Gambit. They are already in late beta.

Apart from that: What would you do with them ? icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh, btw Gnat, this was some freaky ride with the camel. You should have handed out

hapag.jpg

along with that mission biggrin_o.gif

My stomach didn´t feel that right after playing the camel mission.

Overall this is a nice script you´ve done there !

Congrats.

(*wanders off, wondering if he ever felt that seasick after playing a computergame mission*)

i don't get it untill some good explanation since im not a mod maker. I build missions instead tounge2.gif

i personally wouldn't do much with the tools. But i bet there are people who would know what to do with them.

anyway i see commun people trying everyting to get stuff work as they worked in the past and they are hard to complete.

don't get me wrong and sorry for my ignorance.

I think the guy should move more when I press A and D, I need to clickclickclickclickclick if I want the guy to move somewhere.

it is hard to shoot from moving vechile if the guy doesnt move enough at once. and.. I LOVE THIS! just update and make us all happy !! inlove.gif (of course we allready are happy, but you can allways make us happier)

Is it possible that even the AI will use it?

Will it be scripted or an addon?

When i press A or D my dude doesn't move left or right, he just stand or kneels there.

I set my floating thing to the far right and it still doesn't work.

Any one know why?

Is there a way to mount/dismount vehicles? Because there is no addaction "get out/get in posx" or "eject"to the action menu since you aren't proxied into a position on the vehicle model.

Theres only been 9 months with no response.... its dead he released a demo mission and thats it...dont dig up old threads man read the rules first welcome.gif