Sign in to follow this  
awins1

Expansion: Arma: Queen's Gambit

Ehum... I noticed that the name for one of the campaigns is "Royal Flush"!!! Now I´m not gonna make some CRAP jokes about TOILETTES but is that really a good name on a campaign??  biggrin_o.gif

Royal Flush is a terminology that is used in poker.

It takes on all and brings all pots. The highest value and has the lowest chance of appearing in game.

I think that you just might have missed my (bad, i know) sense of humour here tounge2.gif

i just read the article after beeing to the above mention location having a "Royal flush" and it struck as funny.

But as someone above said; theres a crapload of other meanings to "royal flush" as well.

And plz pardon me all for my humour, just couldnt resist it anymore biggrin_o.gif

Just add the Joker.....

That aside, its interesting to read that the tools might be delayed just for this. I know which I would much rather prefer.

I may yet be interested in this, but having not played a single mission or the campaign yet I can't say, I seem to spend most of my ArmA time playing with stuff I have already created but still can't get finished as the current methods cannot produce a complete version.

What does sadden me most is the whining on both sides of the camp... until it is out we dont know much and until then its all speculation/

They should do expansion to buy,sure they should...But it's bad joke like I said...ArmA is a lot of bugs to this day,campain is bad,number of vehicles is low and some of them do not have interiors and engine is the same,still no big physics improvements.OFP was different.Authors made one good game(OFP + RES) and now they think they can go along on their reputation and give us game that has a lot of bugs.They don't care...Let's make sh**t and ofp fan will buy it anyway...It's the begining of the end I think...Fix Arma first, make it playable,major bugs free.Then I can buy this expansion pack even for 200$...

BI made 1.01(patch), 1.02(patch), 1.04, 1.05(patch), 1.06, 1.07(2 beta patches) and 1.08(patch).

You can say alot but BI really tried and changed alot to the game and compared to 1.00 there are (almost) no really big bugs left, ofcourse there are minor things but no game is perfect or works perfect on every PC.

LoL, nice, we already had 7 patches for ARMA, and OFP 1.22 (only 2 patches) still has more quality and plays better than ARMA with all of its patches. Like I said before, patches doesn't mean jack if they don't fix anything worth fixing. So far, ARMA still has primitive problems and unless those are fixed, patches mean nothing.

Pretty sad. I rather go buy resistance and play it again than buy ARMA expansions. Resistance is pretty impossible to find nowdays, but I still bet it will be more wide spread than the expansion. I rather donate my money to any quality mod developers.

Unless a demo of the capaign is released and it shows at least 1/4th the quality of RES campaign BIS isn't fooling anyone again.

LoL, nice, we already had 7 patches for ARMA, and OFP 1.22 (only 2 patches) still has more quality and plays better than ARMA with all of its patches.

Errr flashpoint has been patched up to version 1.96 with 1.75 being Resistance, thats definetly not 2 patches as fair as im aware.

To be honest, if 505 are working on this then that means that BIS can be working on patches for the game solely which is definetly a good thing.

bootneckofficer

technicals= I LIKE!

the RAC's Black Hawk, i really hope that is just a fill-in. I was kinda hoping that the RAC's would have other equipment that wasn't from the US. the M16's they carry already make them look like US troops. fortunately theres Skavens RAC's

as for old man w/ the red bandanna, he doesn't look too bad. just loose the red bandanna and give him a army doo rag:

41_1.JPG

Its early and things can change (hopefully) but i'll replace my fanboy hat with the WTF hat on this one...

Im not impressed by the design/description, feature list or quality of what was showned.

The sahrani conflict didnt seem to really grab the players, i dont know who will want to play as a merc hired by the south Sahrani kingdom.. and face the SLA in sahrani, again...

This expantion is a great oportunity to create a new conflict/setting, on the new island with new OPFOR! something where PMC's would actually fit into.

And i hope we will see new models soon, editing the originals is kinda cheap for the pro's...

I really love the game and would welcome an expantion (or more) alot, but not something like this, i think BIS needs some new designers..

Yep, every company that releases sequels or expansions are capitalist devils. Damn their evil black hearts. How dare they try to pay their employees.

BIS isn't a charity.

I wouldn't hold it against them to make money, obviously their business is producing and selling software, it's just the way they're going about it which I find ethically questionable

Am I hearing someone that likes shooting virtual people questioning ethics? rofl.gif

I guess you'd rather not have Arma now, BIS working on it for a couple of years more, then going bancrupt and not ever having Arma at all? What's the ethics in that?

Or better yet, BIS releasing Arma and SAYING "uh guys, it's rather sucky at the time, but we'll make it better"?

Now that would really help em...

Life is composed of HARD options, in my view they just picked the best option they had.

in theory the hold game is a result of bad marketing, giving ppl impression that this is a "new" game

Errr, what?

ArmA was always billed as "OFP 1.5"

Are people forgetting things, or making them up to suit their arguments? crazy_o.gif

That's not true

The last 1,5 years prior release, ArmA was marketed as the spiritual sequeal to OFP. Even Maruk said in an interview, that ArmA had developed into OFP 2.

I really do hope BI comes up with something else than just retextures and an Island. And I really do not hope BI uses this project as a moneymaker, thus only release patches for this 'modification' as they did to OFP with ressistance.

That means that they will force us to buy this 'mod'. They cannot possible argument that it is time for such 'expansion pack' as they haven't released a proper working ArmA yet. If they do that, I will loose all respect to BI and will definately abandon ArmA.

Oh, and of course they wont release the tools before this MOD - they know many of the community members here are much more skilled in making realistically and playable units, islands and mods.

Oh, and of course they wont release the tools before this MOD - they know many of the community members here are much more skilled in making realistically and playable units, islands and mods.

You should consider the following though:

BIS dont have to release any free tools, releasing the "tools" is actually inconvenient to them for several reasons. You only payed for a game, people take things for granted very easily, if/when they release these its their call.

Very few artists were able to reach vbs1's quality standards (2003 stuff) and very few will be able to produce whole new content that reaches Arma's default.

An official expantion is more likely to deliver goodies (so far, not in this case) without spliting MP users into diferent mods, addon packs and individual releases with several versions into the mix.

BIS only have to make sure that users get their money worth out of this expantion.

Mods or not Resistance was a great package, you wont find a user made OPF island that comes close to Nogova (whole new island includes new objects, buildings and decoration).

They should do expansion to buy,sure they should...But it's bad joke like I said...ArmA is a lot of bugs to this day,campain is bad,number of vehicles is low and some of them do not have interiors and engine is the same,still no  big physics improvements.OFP was different.Authors made one good game(OFP + RES) and now they think they can go along on their reputation and give us game that has a lot of bugs.They don't care...Let's make sh**t and ofp fan will buy it anyway...It's the begining of the end I think...Fix Arma first, make it playable,major bugs free.Then I can buy this expansion pack even for 200$...

BI made 1.01(patch), 1.02(patch), 1.04, 1.05(patch), 1.06, 1.07(2 beta patches) and 1.08(patch).

You can say alot but BI really tried and changed alot to the game and compared to 1.00 there are (almost) no really big bugs left, ofcourse there are minor things but no game is perfect or works perfect on every PC.

LoL, nice, we already had 7 patches for ARMA, and OFP 1.22 (only 2 patches) still has more quality and plays better than ARMA with all of its patches.  Like I said before, patches doesn't mean jack if they don't fix anything worth fixing.  So far, ARMA still has primitive problems and unless those are fixed, patches mean nothing.

Pretty sad.  I rather go buy resistance and play it again than buy ARMA expansions.  Resistance is pretty impossible to find nowdays, but I still bet it will be more wide spread than the expansion.  I rather donate my money to any quality mod developers.  

Unless a demo of the capaign is released  and it shows at least 1/4th the quality of RES campaign BIS isn't fooling anyone again.

Then go and play OFP and stop bothering people here.

Have a 48hr PR

I believe we have covered this ground before with you, your persistant trolling is VERY tiresome.

Should you continue, after your PR you may find you are on an early Summer vacation. I suggest you take the hint.

I will buy it even if its only some retextures and some new missions. Just because I'm sure there will be some improvements in engine/code and I'm sure it will be must-have version for MP playing next day after release.

Even if you think that Arma is bugged and maybe not finished, that so called 'expansion' pack can and probably will be the next, big step just like Resistance was.

And for mercs on screens - they're just great. I can imagine Jagged Alliance' like campaign with them, something with deep atmosphere, great scenario and micromanagment.

Actually, I dont care how much it will cost, just tell me when and where I can buy it smile_o.gif

I'm waiting for the expansion to come out, looks like a huge package fueled with a lot of good reason to buy it.

About arma, i think it's good as it's OFP nowadays.

OFP still have low fps rating on a 2006 top gear pc with top settings on vga and ingame options! biggrin_o.gif

But hey i can go with compromise and the game looks identical on the move, you don't really notice the aliasing or the anisotropic filter....

If developers of Alpha Prime are involved in this we can be happy. Alpha Prime was very nice and there gotta be a reason why special thanks in the credits of Alpha Prime fly out to Marek Spanel and Paul Statham wink_o.gif

You should consider the following though:

BIS dont have to release any free tools, releasing the "tools" is actually inconvenient to them for several reasons. You only payed for a game, people take things for granted very easily, if/when they release these its their call.

Very few artists were able to reach vbs1's quality standards (2003 stuff) and very few will be able to produce whole new content that reaches Arma's default.

An official expantion is more likely to deliver goodies (so far, not in this case) without spliting MP users into diferent mods, addon packs and individual releases with several versions into the mix.

BIS only have to make sure that users get their money worth out of this expantion.

Mods or not Resistance was a great package, you wont find a user made OPF island that comes close to Nogova (whole new island includes new objects, buildings and decoration).

I agree, Ressistance was a great expansion pack. And it came in good timing as well, just after OFP was fully patched to 1.46 removing all the major bugs. I also liked Nogova (As I like Sahrani).

But releasing an "expansion pack" is not the time. Maybe in 6 months or more, but not while the game is cripling on most users PC. This smells too much of payed patches.

BI promised us the tools prior release saying that all the tools will be available for the public for free. As they haven't said anything else, I assume that stays (they even confirmed it at several occations). I take the liberty to expect something when the people in charge is telling me that I am entitled for it. I generally expect the good in people/companies and trust in their good intentions.

There have been released alot of addons for other games that by far is better than the VBS stuff. But we need the tools to make quality addons into the BI games to make use of all the engine capabilities. Without the tools, we are simply limited in creation.

So I say; Continue release patches for free, give us them tools - and in 6 months, release a quality expansion pack like you did with ressistance that gives us alot new engine features etc. Oh, and better release 1 GOOD campaign instead of 2 poor-made campaigns, such as the one shipped with ArmA.

Oh, and better release 1 GOOD campaign instead of 2 poor-made campaigns, such as the one shipped with ArmA.

how about 2 good campaigns instead of only one? after the very disappointing ArmA campaign, i kind of feel like they owe us. whistle.gif

WELL we have a KING of Sarhani maybe we will get a QUEEN!!!! [WOMAN]  yay.gif  tounge2.gif

And the Definition of Gambit is "Any opening that involves the sacrifice of a pawn to hasten development and control the center." or "A voluntary sacrifice of a pawn or a piece in the opening with the idea of gaining the initiative, a lead in development or some other compensating factor."

I sure hope the storyline follows the end of the original on the last mission. Having it truly have been the south and the north DID go in to do what they said...can't say what those are though due to spoilers.

Hmm it only looks like its a new campaign and possibly new units/reskins...

PERSONALLY... i'd rather just have performance improving patches, bug fixes and maybe the odd new feature now and then.

The fact is, campaigns and missions can be made NOW by the community, tools i'll be glad to have also smile_o.gif

I hope also it wont be *like* resistance where it killed everyone's FPS with new graphics etc People have upgraded their pcs enuff IMO!

So my personal view: I'd prefer free patches before a new campaign smile_o.gif

That doesnt sound logical, Arma is not the most popular game ever so if they expect to sell an expantion they have to release soon.

BIS have been working on Arma for many months now, they cant just keep working on it forever and expect income to fall from the skies, Arma already reached its peak as far as sales go.

People will never be happy with what they have, they always want more and are just impossible to please.

1.08 is the result of a great deal of comitment and work, people still moan about bugs or missing features that they would like to have but dont realise how much was fixed already, the only big show stopper is Vista compatbility/stability imo.

A great expantion is well worth 25/30€, BIS just have to make it like that, great enough, this is my concern based on what was recently anounced about it..

One thing that makes Arma HW intensive is not the game itself but Sahrani and how it was designed wink_o.gif .

Heetseeker Having CTDs every 5-10-20min minutes when playing a game and not being able to start your game is hardly the players fault. and im on XP they may have worked on 1.08 a great deal but its still far from perfect with these 2 major issues.

Now if thats the way they want to leave it and start on expansions its not very professional is it. wink_o.gif

as lojng as they can integrate multiplayer from all the arma expansin and regular arma, i will be happy. I hate finding servers pockmarked with 5 or 6 ppl when therye should be dozens. no fun at all

Heetseeker Having CTDs every 5-10-20min minutes when playing a game and not being able to start your game is hardly the players fault. and im on XP they may have worked on 1.08 a great deal but its still far from perfect with these 2 major issues.

Now if thats the way they want to leave it and start on expansions its not very professional is it. wink_o.gif

You'v tried to reformat the computer,whipe it completely and so on and try it as that? It may be something wrong with your OS or the computer itself and not so much the game.

It depends on what causes the CTD's, mine never crashed and i run in high settings, and for hours and hours... for all we know you could have a faulty component or some program messing up Arma's cp smile_o.gif .

I always end up with a CTD or sometimes a complete cold reboot in MP (about 1-1,5 hours of play). I don't have any problems in other games.

I don't think an expansion from BI right now is going to sell well. First of, there aren't really many ArmA owners out there atm. And as long as the game isn't finished yet, we won't be seing many newcomers either.

BI have to finish the game to attract more gamers. I have a few mates which were diehard OFP fans, and while they were pretty impressed by the first looks of the game (this was in 1.05), they quickly found out how clumsy everything is in it.

Admittedly, 1.08 is alot better - alot more streamlined etc. But it isn't enough - not in todays standards.

//Edit - oh... and I have to download cracks to play the game, as Sh*tForce isn't working properly and tell me it can't find my DVD, even though it reads fine from within windows, and there aren't any damage to it.

Again, I don't have problems with Sh*tForce in any other game (B&W2), so it can't just be that driver-software.

Oh, and i'm on Windows XP