Sign in to follow this  
awins1

Expansion: Arma: Queen's Gambit

Quote[/b] ]ArmA, for me and for 22 thread pages worth of people, is still an unsatisfactory and pretty much unfinished product, even after 3 patches, and here they announce an expansion for their beta product?? What are they thinking?

Stop that beta nonsense, its old talk and 1.08 is fine. Go thru the logs to understand how much was tweaked, improved, replaced, given and fixed.

The only big problem that remains is vista compatbility, other than that Arma plays just fine.. its not a perfect game but there are no perfect games, OPFR was far from perfect too.

Don't tell me what I can or can't say please icon_rolleyes.gif

I have Windows XP. I have system requirements above even the recommended specifications. I have up-to-date drivers. I have a new, nice 'n' clean freshly installed system. I can play pretty much every other game released around the time ArmA was released, since it was released even, better than I can dream of playing ArmA at the moment.

It would seem that for me, and for many disilusioned and disappointed OFP/ArmA fans, the current product is unsatisfactory. Hence my reaction to the anouncement of an official expansion pack, which has to be paid for.

Oh and btw, I enjoyed OFP when I got it, way more than I am enjoying ArmA, and still enjoying it more, and don't bring up the subject of addons and mods for OFP, because even vanilla OFP is currently better than ArmA.

If BIS really wants to wow people over with content they need to:

1. Let the community make the content, you make the game engine.

Hey friend I think you took your statement too far. Some people expect a game in a box that is said to contain one, not just a game engine. I definitely would not rely on the 'community' to create content for a game I have paid for. I am happy for what is created by the community, but in my humble opinion it's not a realistic solution to expect that the 'community' can create the content needed to make a game enjoyable. If you look back at what kind of content there is for OFP, you must admit that most of the addons created for OFP are not even near the quality that the original content in OFP has. It's not going to happen for ArmA either. There are of course exceptions which I very much praise, but it's just not enough to say we don't need BIS to create high-quality content. And I'm not talking about very very small errors in the content, which are even highly debatable if they are errors at all. Like having a wrong kind of button in some sleeve etc.

I have to add that one of the biggest problems with user-created content is that it often doesn't match well visually or configuration-wise with existing original content or content made by other users. That's one significant problem and organisations such as BIS can hold it somehow together inside their walls but some random hobbyist addon creators scattered all over the world are highly unlikely to achieve it. As proof for this claim, there's just too many addons for OFP that clearly do not fit into the game at all, and look very much out-of-place. Many soldier addons cannot be used against each other as configs are too different, creating totally unbalanced firefights where other side is always deemed to lose. As an example of an exception to this is FDF Mod's addons for OFP which fits well with the original content in my humble opinion.

So, to sum up my words, I very much welcome the existing high-quality content and any new high-quality content made by professionals. I also welcome high-quality community created content, which I already enjoyed to great extent with OFP, but as I said I rather rely on a professional well-organized team to create the content for a game I paid for instead of hoping someone in the community will some day release some nice high-quality addons.

heh..nice to see new units boot... i like to see somn more improved on engine...for now .So we just need to wait end see wink_o.gif

Why buy the same game just because of new campaign, story line? with the mission editor, you can do all they can. I wont be wasting my money on it unless it contains new features such as the ability to move artillery from one position to another with trucks and many more new features. I've already spent twice on ArmA.

heh..nice to see new units boot... i like to see somn more improved on engine...for now .So we just need to wait end see  wink_o.gif

New?

huh.gif

Have you taken a look at A&M:C and A&M:D at all?

Most of what you see in these official screens has already been done and released in one form or another (reskins), and so far, user-created content (new weapons, vehicles, islands, scenery) beats what this official expansion will appear to offer ( a couple poorly (imho) done reskins )

Well I hope they include some bug fixes and improved AI along with the new units, island, and campaign. The expansion wont be that spectacular if it doesn't include those additional technical fixes but I will still probably purchase it because $30 doesn't really make a dent in my wallet(assuming it is at expansion prices). Lets just wait and see what happens.

Most of what you see in these official screens has already been done and released in one form or another (reskins), and so far, user-created content (new weapons, vehicles, islands, scenery) beats what this official expansion will appear to offer ( a couple poorly (imho) done reskins )

As said by other people, we have no idea when this will be released so these pics could just be WIP pics. They have the time to tweak it. That is like calling a WIP pic from the WIP thread a piece of crap when it is not even released yet and is still being worked on. Do you comprehend this concept?

As said by other people, we have no idea when this will be released  so these pics could just be WIP pics. They have the time to tweak it. That is like calling a WIP pic from the WIP thread a piece of crap when it is not even released yet and is still being worked on. Do you comprehend this concept?

The concept I don't think you comprehend is the following :

Everything you see in these screens has been done. For free. Without BIS' fancy tools. So why shell out another 20 or so quid for it.

Ferrari concept artist: "I was up all last night scratching my noodle and pumping caffeine through my veins, but I've finally got it. I present to you... The VESPA"

Ferrari lead engineer: "Ummm...? First of all, we're in 2007. Secondly, it's been done. Better. 50 years ago. You're fired."

Unlike for you, any money out of most people's wallet does cause a dent.

I am happy to here of the expansion. i probably buy it.

however, I think the mercs look too much like cowboys. fuck that. make them come across as military professionals please, not guys from the movie Deliverance.

the good things about mercs is that they could be multi-national and so MAYBE could see a range of modern weapons and even vehicles from other countries introduced.

this is a good way for BIS to fund future improvements to the game engine. BIS have really delivered with the latest patch (1.08) and this is a smart way for them to bring in more money so they can keep ArmA engine growing from a financial sense. by growing i mean adding in substantial upgrades and improvements to the engine. like AI recognizing and using building walls and corners in CQB, a 3d editor, deformable terrain and AI that acts according to different general military doctrines (US or Russia or guerrilla tactics).

of course releasing the mod tools now would be a big deal and pave goodwill for any upcoming releases. wink_o.gif

I've heard by french community, that original Armed Assault will not be patched anymore (so people who don't buy this expansion can't apply future patch).

Is this true ?

ArmA stop at 1.08 and ArmA:Queen's Gambit will allow access to 1.09 and more.. ?

EEKKK?? wow_o.gif

ATM I cant play the game due to CTD erros in vista, if they dont fix that its the goodbye for me sad_o.gif

As for the expansion i hope the tools comes out first. I liked the idea, but hated the screens.

Quote[/b] ]

The only big problem that remains is vista compatbility, other than that Arma plays just fine..

When so many people cant play the game for more then 5m, I wouldnt use fine as a word to define 1.08!

of course releasing the mod tools now would be a big deal and pave goodwill for any upcoming releases. wink_o.gif

Maybe the tools are being delayed so publishers and devs can sell you the addons they left out of the original release...

I mean, if BIS needed money that desperately to release the game in such a terrible shape, who knows what else they are ready to do to get more cash.

Maybe the tools are being delayed so publishers and devs can sell you the addons they left out of the original release...

I mean, if BIS needed money that desperately to release the game in such a terrible shape, who knows what else they are ready to do to get more cash.

Like rip you off maybe? Give me a break rofl.gif

Yep, every company that releases sequels or expansions are capitalist devils. Damn their evil black hearts. How dare they try to pay their employees.

that negative supposition you pulling out from where?

rumour monger!

PS - on topic i hope to see more varied screens of the game. maybe a video.

Sweet. Now BIS, make two GOOD campaigns wink_o.gif

WTF, good campaign.... OFP campaigns were great, ArmA campaigns sux dead dogs dicks and we need a game thats not broken before we get expansions banghead.gif . Has BI already run out of money.... I think ArmA if not done properly will be the beginning of the for BI as ppl will not return for ArmA 2 (or whatever) if they have a bad experience with ArmA, especially if Codemasters gets OFP2 right...... hmmmm... we'll see I guess. firefoxlover.gif love this smiley

Yep, every company that releases sequels or expansions are capitalist devils. Damn their evil black hearts. How dare they try to pay their employees.

BIS isn't a charity.

I wouldn't hold it against them to make money, obviously their business is producing and selling software, it's just the way they're going about it which I find ethically questionable

I uhhh...don't know if this counts as good news...or news that worries me.

Hmm. Did the tools come out before resistance? If not then I guess one should expect them to follow soon after the patch?

I really hope there are more goodies then a truck with a mg, a retextured UH-60, and some Blackwater stereo-types.

Wheres the SLA gunboat, Chinook, M2A2,...etc. huh.gif

As was already said, this can go very well..or quiet badly. As for now its more "wait n see."

Oh my how there will be wild speculation for the next 50 pages of this thread! rofl.gif

OFP was released in 01. I'm not sure of the timezone between the CWC release and the GOTY release which included Red Hammer and Resistence, but websites such as OFP.info give leads that O2 was released to TRUSTED testers around the fourth month of 02.

Around the eighth month there is a post containing info of O2 going public, I don't see anything of when it was directly released, but I'd guess a month after that.

Keep in mind that some of the people here who make bold statements about BIS's motivations have never held a job and therefore think that game devs do this "game making thing" for just their enjoyment.

It's a business.

Sometimes decisions are made to make money. You want a new game down the road? They have to make money in the meantime.

Just because you can get 5 years out of a game doesnt mean they can.

If BIS really wants to wow people over with content they need to:

1. Let the community make the content, you make the game engine.

Hey friend I think you took your statement too far. Some people expect a game in a box that is said to contain one, not just a game engine. I definitely would not rely on the 'community' to create content for a game I have paid for. I am happy for what is created by the community, but in my humble opinion it's not a realistic solution to expect that the 'community' can create the content needed to make a game enjoyable. If you look back at what kind of content there is for OFP, you must admit that most of the addons created for OFP are not even near the quality that the original content in OFP has. It's not going to happen for ArmA either. There are of course exceptions which I very much praise, but it's just not enough to say we don't need BIS to create high-quality content. And I'm not talking about very very small errors in the content, which are even highly debatable if they are errors at all. Like having a wrong kind of button in some sleeve etc.

I have to add that one of the biggest problems with user-created content is that it often doesn't match well visually or configuration-wise with existing original content or content made by other users. That's one significant problem and organisations such as BIS can hold it somehow together inside their walls but some random hobbyist addon creators scattered all over the world are highly unlikely to achieve it. As proof for this claim, there's just too many addons for OFP that clearly do not fit into the game at all, and look very much out-of-place. Many soldier addons cannot be used against each other as configs are too different, creating totally unbalanced firefights where other side is always deemed to lose. As an example of an exception to this is FDF Mod's addons for OFP which fits well with the original content in my humble opinion.

So, to sum up my words, I very much welcome the existing high-quality content and any new high-quality content made by professionals. I also welcome high-quality community created content, which I already enjoyed to great extent with OFP, but as I said I rather rely on a professional well-organized team to create the content for a game I paid for instead of hoping someone in the community will some day release some nice high-quality addons.

I think Baddo just made such a convincing statement that I believe him more than myself. Most of the time the content from BIS is very good visually and is consistent, but I'm really quite tired of:

Every "rifleman" with an M4AIM and 3 magazines, AT4s that are reloadable, carry 3 rounds, and have a huge smoke trail, miscalibrated ACOGs, zigzag smokey TOWs, vehicles with optics that zoom none or very small, jets/attack helos that don't carry AA missiles, parachutes for everyone aboard helos, default group sizes/compositions that are fictional, etc.

On average the BIS content is pretty good but it's littered with really nagging inaccuracies and annoyances. Yes most can be helped with some decent mission editing, but many people are lazy and just put in the defaults.

But don't get me started on BIS's missions. Yes they are (usually) coded very well. They do breakdown logically from time to time and have issues like 90% of friendly troops dying in the first 30 seconds. They often have complete WTF moments like MP 06: Clean Sweep giving you MP5 mags for your M4SD? The story and believability of the campaign missions was utter crap. Mission coding BIS is good at, mission design... not so much.

I for one welcome any offical content that is released and will support the company by buying it becasue i enjoy their products and wish to see more.

All these people whining about being owed something by BIS. You got it, its Arma, be thankful that its still getting supported etc.

We payed our money give us the tools wah wah wah.

pls....

I think its great..cant wait to play with the new islands and campaigns. (re-playing notworthy.gif Resistance notworthy.gif atm to kill time)

however, I think the mercs look too much like cowboys. fuck that. make them come across as military professionals please, not guys from the movie Deliverance.

the good things about mercs is that they could be multi-national and so MAYBE could see a range of modern weapons and even vehicles from other countries introduced.

this is a good way for BIS to fund future improvements to the game engine. BIS have really delivered with the latest patch (1.08) and this is a smart way for them to bring in more money so they can keep ArmA engine growing from a financial sense. by growing i mean adding in substantial upgrades and improvements to the engine. like AI recognizing and using building walls and corners in CQB, a 3d editor, deformable terrain and AI that acts according to different general military doctrines (US or Russia or guerrilla tactics).

Who said that expansion pack will have AI improvements, not only cowboy hats and pickup truck with MGs... which community can easily make with tools.... They will never make money on selling cowboy hats.... rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

Who said that expansion pack will have AI improvements, not only cowboy hats and pickup truck with MGs... which community can easily make with tools.... They will never make money on selling cowboy hats.... rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

true. suppose i was trying to think best situation and be a bit cheeky. biggrin_o.gif

i meant if BIS are smart they'd do those type of improvements. and i think BIS are pretty smart, but it's up to them to prove really just how smart they are.

Sounds good to me.I will pay for addons,islands or good missions.

If the money is not going to BIS I would have to consider differently tho

And apparantly they aren't releasing modtools until they have made some addon packs, which is ok to me but I also would pay for modtools

I for one welcome any offical content that is released and will support the company by buying it becasue i enjoy their products and wish to see more.

All these people whining about being owed something by BIS. You got it, its Arma, be thankful that its still getting supported etc.

We payed our money give us the tools wah wah wah.

pls....

I think its great..cant wait to play with the new islands and campaigns. (re-playing notworthy.gif Resistance notworthy.gif atm to kill time)

sv5000 ppl want the tools so ppl like you can play the excellent user made maps created by using the tools..... and its true we do hand over money and thats meant ensures support for the product.... especially when it was released the way it was.... banghead.gif