Sign in to follow this  
BLSmith2112

Will you still play ArmA?

Well, the DX9 screen seems to have gloom and volumetric lightning disabled and seems to be using SM2.0 (or lower), SM3.0 could give much nicer water, not as nice as that DX10 shot but the DX9 shot isnt DX9 at its best.

Of course it isn't, how would you be able to persuade people that DX10 is the Kool-Aid to drink if the DX9 screenshots look good enough? smile_o.gif

Me personally, I don't give a rats ass about DX10-prettiness, games should be fun first, good looking second. I honestly think DX9 (or better yet OpenGL!wink_o.gif) is good enough graphics-wise, there's not a DX10 screenshot they can show me that will make me want to install Vista and DX10.

You probably need to see some of the Crysis screenshots then...

It is way to damn early to tell in my humble opinion.

Edit:

I'm not a fanboy or anything, but BI has everything I can ask for. I am comfortable and confident here.

If that's an actual screenshot Codemasters has there, I'm sorry but that's really impressive. Never seen foliage like that before.

Can we expect BIS to make an announcement to the press to counterattack Codemasters'?

I hope so ^^

Personnally, I don't really care about Codemasters or BIS;

But at equal quality, I'd keep on playing Game 2.

BIS has a hell of a way with taking care of their customers (patches and updates).

Go BIS go!

They may or may not attack the name.

As for the codemasters contract.

If BIS dropped Codemasters as there distributor, and to be honest, barring Colin Mcrae Ralley series Codemasters have had no decent games since 2000. OFP must have really been a good product for CM. So for CM to lose BIH, its fairly easy to asume they didn't want to share the cash. In some sense BIH were codemasters "Dice" and they lost them. And how much cash have Dice made EA?

Many Games Distrubtors do this and get burned when a decent games craetion company leaves them. Ubisoft Crytek?

I generally buy THQ games,EA games and MS Game Studio stuff now, I've had problems with Ubisoft and Codemasters games in last few years and try not to buy them. THQ ,EA, MSGS have an ok level of service on their games. Not perfect but not as bad as UBI or Eidos.

I wish the team making OPF2 all the best, BUT I think considering the history CM should change the name of the product to something original as many OPF, ARMA users are well aware of the history and won't use the product if they feel CM are trying to strike at BIH.

I also buy stuff by ID ,Valve, or Blizzard generally I know it's going to be good.

As for moaning about patches, BIH are tiny and are patching the game and listening to players.

Go buy an Ubisoft game and see where you get with patches...

I don't need to know the ins and outs of why BIH and CH fell out, I can guess.

But for CM to call the game OPF2, and not use BIH is bit of an insult and shows a mean streak in CM's game plan. They could also give the product a new name or even call it IGI 3 etc.

Maddmatt are you sure, would be nice to know that you know the ins and outs on what BIS and Codemaster contract agreement was. rofl.gif

Well your proof is that ArmA is running the same Poseidon engine as OFP...

Poseidon 1.5 or whatever, and BIS own the engine... hence why its in ArmA...

Poseidon 2 is in the works from BIS now for Game 2.

This might be straying a bit off topic but I've heard the OFP/ArmA engine called both Poseidon and Real Virtuality, so which is it?

both but i guess core still has the sentimental name

here is a log in my arma report file

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">w:\c\Poseidon\lib\

1. i find that i am not acturally looking forward to it(unlike someone, which i have no idea why they say OFP style game play is bad)

2. i find that its too early to say if its good or bad

3. shouldnt we be more focus on "How to make ArmA become THE Game"? it is 2007 now, and thats 2008(or even wrose, 2009)

Out of curiosity, can anyone identify the weapon that the soldier on the left is holding in the Operation Flashpoint 2 picture?

It looks a bit short. A carbine of some sort?

But more importantly, how likely is it to see a soldier with one of those on the battlefield? I'm assuming the soldiers are American, even though we can't see their patches.

Very offtopic, 3 threads about an anounced game and a fake picture already...

I think codemasters are going to mainstream Operation Flashpoint 2 just like Ubi did to GR with that GRAWfull game.

Operation Flashpoint 2 is just a name, i bet they are going to imitate BIS original design and features but i doubt it will deliver everything we are used to.

And i dont touch multiplatform shooters... whistle.gif .

I think your mistaken jack-uk, i think that codemaster owns the whole thing ( Platform and Name ) thats why BIS had to change the platform that Armed Assault runs.

Go play OFP, then play ArmA and tell me those aren't running on the same core engine (though one is a further developed version of the other). Codemasters only owns the name, that's it, so expect their game to be a LOT different (technically speaking) from OFP.

Out of curiosity, can anyone identify the weapon that the soldier on the left is holding in the Operation Flashpoint 2 picture?

It looks a bit short.  A carbine of some sort?

But more importantly, how likely is it to see a soldier with one of those on the battlefield?  I'm assuming the soldiers are American, even though we can't see their patches.

to end this question

on the left: FN SCAR

on the right: more like a M16 with M203 attached, no idea

its gone way tooo off topic now, may a mod do some thing?

It looks a bit short. A carbine of some sort?

But more importantly, how likely is it to see a soldier with one of those on the battlefield? I'm assuming the soldiers are American, even though we can't see their patches.

thats what i was thinking, looks like some sort of mac10 or uzi. i think there is similar gun in CS. doesnt look like the sort of thing to be in large open combat with, maybe CQB.

Cameron.. you say that with 100% confidence... ?

Here's DX10 differences: Flight Sim X. I have this game and can say that this is 100% accurate. These are in-game shots. No photoshopped or rendered:

DX9

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4250/93758924hd1.png

DX10 SAME GAME, SAME SCREEN

http://img309.imageshack.us/img309/421/xbu0.png

So its entirely possible.You've seen Crysis too. These aren't all coninsidences.. thank jebus for Dx10.

You're wrong. The dx10 screen there was stated to be a mock up of what is possible with dx10 by the developers. That dx10 screen is photoshopped. edit: I see many people have beat me to it already... we're not talking about the quality of dx10 rendering. Maybe it's better than your photoshopped image... but your assertion that that screen is not photoshopped is entirely wrong.

Quote[/b] ]

Sobr says:

Hm... Im very much looking forward to OFP2 (not game2). If the game has the good old advantages like ofp/arma (freedom, editor, addon compatibility etc) I will surely play OFP2 instead of crappy ArmA.

For ArmA I didnt get a new PC... for OFP2 Id do gladly though. Codermasters was anyway better of with some other company, BIs is simply too small and thus way too slow.

You're setting yourself up to be dissappointed! You should reserve judgement until you see something other than this render.

i saw that screen and i can say my opinion or expectations about OFP2

i felt in love in OFP because it was beautyfull

Kolgujev, Malden, Everon

all was super and looked dirty, like title "cold war crisis"

Sahrani is too nice , too beautyfull

i want game about never happened NATO/Warsaw Pact war in dirty eastern Europe with scratched buildings without plaster as i remember from childhood

i was raised in neighborhood like Everon / Malden citys, for me OFP islands are sentimental and heart-shaking

Sahrani reminds me cheap postcard with nice view :/

it is not eastern europe climate :/

FN SCAR, ACU f*** f*** i hate another "super future" war :/

i like historic games, i still play RTCW, MOHAA

OFP was only game happening in my childhood smile_o.gif

i wanna see OFP2 with soldiers in Woodland, KLMK,

OFP had poor graphic engine itself

i wanna see OFP2 but not a "any other game in 2010"

i wanna 1985 game !!!

with dirty blocks, destroyed houses, rusty cars that i know from my childhood

not one more super-nice touristic island with banana country vs. US

thats all from my side about OFP2 and this screen

also i wanna game which run on my PC

i cannot imagine buying new PC in next year, i haven't payed credit for this under ARMA !

OFP2? Nah... I'm still waiting for Enemy In Sights biggrin_o.gif At least it has some [what look like] in-game screens out, already a couple years old though now so they're not quite so entertaining to stare at anymore.

On another topic, don't you just love it when people who know nothing about nothing rant how great DX10 is and how it automaticly makes any game that uses it look about 100x better.

i saw that screen and i can say my opinion or expectations about OFP2

i felt in love in OFP because it was beautyfull

Kolgujev, Malden, Everon

all was super and looked dirty, like title "cold war crisis"

Sahrani is too nice , too beautyfull

i want game about never happened NATO/Warsaw Pact war in dirty eastern Europe with scratched buildings without plaster as i remember from childhood

i was raised in neighborhood like Everon / Malden citys, for me OFP islands are sentimental and heart-shaking

Sahrani reminds me cheap postcard with nice view :/

it is not eastern europe climate :/

FN SCAR, ACU f*** f*** i hate another "super future" war :/

i like historic games, i still play RTCW, MOHAA

OFP was only game happening in my childhood smile_o.gif

i wanna see OFP2 with soldiers in Woodland, KLMK,

OFP had poor graphic engine itself

i wanna see OFP2 but not a "any other game in 2010"

i wanna 1985 game !!!

with dirty blocks, destroyed houses, rusty cars that i know from my childhood

not one more super-nice touristic island with banana country vs. US

thats all from my side about OFP2 and this screen

also i wanna game which run on my PC

i cannot imagine buying new PC in next year, i haven't payed credit for this under ARMA !

cold war rearm mod is the only thing which would be close to your request IMO, of cause, if BI fix the game making it to be really really really good,

so please BI listen to your prayers

make the whiners shut their mouths up

make the non belivers drop their guts

make the bigass enterprises bite the dust

make the community be proud on what you have done

Hehe...Illusion Softworks, the creator of Enemy in Sight lost ATARI as a publisher some time ago. In my opinion, ATARI wants to keep a new shooter in their portfolio. Actually, ATARI is the publisher of ArmA for the northern american continent wink_o.gif

Maybe Illusion Sofworks made a deal with the codies to stifle Game 2 whistle.gif

Anyway I'm sure, it wouldn't feel like a real Game 2(OFP2) made by our famous bohemians inlove.gif

Quote[/b] ]Anyway I'm sure, it wouldn't feel like a real Game 2(OFP2) made by our famous bohemians

Actually, Illusion Softworks are Czech too, and probably from Prague, so geografically speaking they are from Bohemia region aswell...

And they did a good job with Hidden and Dangerous and Mafia for instance : A tactical shooter and a sandbox game a la GTA. Plus if they started enemy in sight a long time ago, OFP2 might be from them. But who knows with only one screenshot ?

Too early to tell, but seeing how many big publishers/developers don't like to take risks at something different than BF2 or the like, I doubt it'll be anything like OFP.

But that one screenshot shows nothing. Could as well be prerendered(much like many of the Game2 screenshots look like).

I'd like the flame's to be cut down. I don't want the thread locked due to some idiots flaming.

By the looks of it the game might require some pc specs I can't afford for at least a couple of years.

has there been any requirements published?

secondly, the thing I like the most about these games is the mods, so if game2 don't have the same modding abilitys I don't think my interest will be that big, of course I will try it but it won't be that much fun, If codemasters don't work togehter with BIS anymore, who knows if they will work together with this comunity.

I still play OFP and I think that goes for a lot of people in here, so I don't think we will forget arma, at some point OFP will be forgotten but thats what happens to older games.

All i heard is that Enemy in Sight was canceled, well anyway. As for OFP2 vs ArmA, i think it's gonna be a hard time for ArmA, even doh it isn't really a competion, as ArmA is allrdy 5 months old. What i see is that BIS is somehow allwys to late, prolly because of their little amount of employes, They released ArmA while i had allrdy a DX10 GFX, a Duo Core and a SLI Board, none of those technologies are supported. Same goes for OFP Elite. It came out for the first X-Box, while they just started to sell the new 360 X-Box.

Please don't forget what Codemasters did for OFP, the final product was really influenced, as i remember, it wasn't made for online gaming till CM told BIS to do it.

I'm still disapointed about ArmA. I'm more the CTF player and in this genre, ArmA is a real disapointed, i'm still fighting with mouse lag, LOD errors, texture delays, low fps, robotic anim's and seeing no big change since 5 months i doubt any further success and seeing the amount of Online Gamers just confirms my thoughts.

I don't even know what Game 2 is gonna be, RPG has nothink to do with FPS, so it's prolly gonna be a hybrid in between, is that what i wanna have ? So i'm happy to see CM trying to bring somethink new also in the same OFP 1 Style.

I thought ArmA was going to be OFP2......so it looks like the next OFP blockbuster is going to be by codemasters in the form of a DX10 OFP2 biggrin_o.gif

ArmA is becoming more like 'Amercan's Army 2' the more I play it now......I get more enjoyment from nice graphics than the gameplay confused_o.gif