Sign in to follow this  
imported_bör

Operation Flashpoint 2 officially announced

Its sad for CM to bring up the fanatical OPF:R comunity.. now that they are promoting their new game.

What did they ever do in the past other than sitting on top of OPF's revenue? The rubbish Red Hammer disk for more revenue? CM's OPF board was a ghost town.

And what did BIS do? The game, the free addons (remember those? ), the support, the editing programs.. all that work wich might have affected the development and release of future titles (like OPF:E) but gave this comunity years of gameplay and fun, long after the game was out BIS supported the OPF comunity, even recruited some of its members.

Who knows, maybe we could be playing OPF2 today if CM didnt run away, maybe BIS would have made a great OPF2 if they were backed up by a good publisher.

Now suddenly CM returns full of promisses and love for the franchice and its fans, using a comunity they never supported in the first place to promote this product, a modern copy of someone elses game?

Doesnt seem wright to me whistle.gif .

Quote[/b] ]what is this cod4?

duh! didnt you know Codemasters are making cod5 tounge2.gif

Naa i agree it does look a little like hes Constantly in the ready position

It's far worse than in any game I've seen so far.

Not only it looks arcadish, but it also completely cripples your peripheral vision.

What the fuck is with you people? Why the hell are you viciously chewing away at one game while praising the other? Especially since you know almost nothing expect the sales pitches and a couple screenshots.

We have not one but TWO games to fill the void in this genre that only OFP and ArmA are part of, we should be happy smile_o.gif

@Stryder : I was just like you... all happy about having 2 amazing games about to come.... until I saw the ingame experience.

I know CM still has at least 6 months to polish things up, and they may have an extremely good story, but let's face it : they created very high expectations with their "target renders" and rethoric of "incredible level of detail" and they failed to deliver.

Actually, I never expected that they would be so far off...

To be honest, the pics look worse than many shots in the Arma Photography thread. And Arma is 2 years old now.

I would love to be proven wrong and OFP2 comes out awsome, but you can't deny it's a letdown with all the cash and people they poured into it, I can't even believe this is the best build they have.

On the other hand, BIS was the underdogs, and they overdelivered.

Heres something I noticed.. Seems like you will be carrying two ( ! ) full size assault rifles, and 20 magazines(?)  Strange.

2744817145_99e16d3467.jpg

@Red Kite

I play COD4 for realism.

Flashpoint for simulation.

I don't want to simulate bodily functions.

Interfacing with the game enviroment is a factor in immersion, a game that is uncomfortable to play, won't get played.

They've already stated that that screen was a mock-up and we won't be carrying two rifles into combat. See the inventory: "11/20" when there are in fact 13 magazines. smile_o.gif

Sometimes we great people who are the OFP/Arma community make me laugh.  We go on and on about realism over graphics and then make graphical comparisons on two upcoming games and decide one sucks while the other is God-sent. wink_o.gif

I will only be able to buy one game when they come out, and I have decided to wait until all of you buy both games and let all of us know how they stack up.  Both games look promising, even in this realatively early stage, and both are still on my radar.  The primary deciding factor for me, though, will be mouse control.  If Arma II still has the vague, laggy, extremely strange mouse control that Arma has I will refuse to buy it.  I don't play Arma anymore because of the mouse control; I still use OFP.  I am really hoping BIS doesn't disappoint here, because I really want to play Arma II, and if it comes down to a tie between the two games I would choose BIS over Codemasters.

My $.02.  I shall disappear back into the woodwork now for the next two years  tounge2.gif

-Pilot

@Student Pilot

I totally agree with you, It's stupid to compare games when They are not even released, And both are still six months away.

Yet, you have only one video of a Pre-Alpha OPF2 which shows the player moving up from the beach in the first mission.

@Deadfast, You can't compare OPF2 from COD4 at all because they are in a different genre! COD4 Is a Shoot 'em up game while OPF2 is a full blown accurate Military simulation.

'Naa i agree it does look a little like hes Constantly in the ready position'

Of course he's in the ready position because he's just done an amphibious landing on a Hostile island, There will be an option to lower your rifle if you want to do a patrol through a City for example.

And I agree Stryder, We have two fantastic games about to come out, Instead of flaming them both , OPF2 fans Flaming ArmA II, and ArmA II fans flaming OPF2. We should just buy both and actually think how lucky we are that two Game developers actually put all the hard work into the games so we could actually play them!

The single most bitched about aspect of ArmA has been the sub-par AI to what we expected. Next has been the change in Flight Models.

Neither could have been picked up by screenshots, so why everyone is either crying into their beer or busily fwapping themselves silly I don't know.

Either/Both games will look fine. It's how they play that matters, and we are no closer to that, than solving the Riemann hypothesis.

@Deadfast, You can't compare OPF2 from COD4 at all because they are in a different genre! COD4 Is a Shoot 'em up game while OPF2 is a full blown accurate Military simulation.

'Naa i agree it does look a little like hes Constantly in the ready position'

Of course he's in the ready position because he's just done an amphibious landing on a Hostile island, There will be an option to lower your rifle if you want to do a patrol through a City for example.

I'm comparing them because the way the avatar holds the gun in FPV is similar. Actually, in OFP2 it seems to be even worse (right side of the screen is completely obstructed -> loss of peripheral vision)

You haven't seen the 2 latest videos, have you?

Because there you can clearly notice that the soldier is somehow able to even jog with the M68 stuck in his eye (I'm talking about the slow run, not the sprint).

Try it, I bet you won't succeed.

as far as i can see there aint much different on basic mouse control between arma and ofp, you learn that the crosshair is only a reference, only work in close quarter, didnt mean a thing on long range, the major problem is that bi didnt get the 3d sights(ie. aimpoint) correctly, which seems to be addressed in arma2 as i can see they uses the same way swiss mod handle them, the "pixel by pixel" problem have been addressed in 1.14, and the last thing is vehical control, get rid the auto center bullshit then all is fine

however i agree with you that compare the 2 games isnt a good choose by now, maybe we can when its close to release, or when the demo is out

P.S. thats MH-60S Seahawk, not a SH-60 Seahawk

Quote[/b] ]The way the weapon is held just makes me puke:

To me it's quite clear that the soldier is not standing but lying prone. And then the perspective and how the weapon is held is perfectly ok.

Grim

Quote[/b] ]The way the weapon is held just makes me puke:

To me it's quite clear that the soldier is not standing but lying prone. And then the perspective and how the weapon is held is perfectly ok.

Grim

I don't think the soldier is prone. Look at where the grass is. If he was prone the grass would be higher especially if you compare the height of the soldiers in front of him to the grass by them.

He's not prone.

And if you read my previous comment I mentioned the video that shows that he's even able to jog with the ACOG in his eye wink_o.gif

He's not prone.

And if you read my previous comment I mentioned the video that shows that he's even able to jog with the ACOG in his eye wink_o.gif

Watching the video shows the weapon close to his face in the ready position whilst jogging, but he seems to move it out of the way when sprinting. I didn't see the bit where the ACOG was in his eye whilst jogging maybe I missed that!

Well, the way the ACOG is close to the camera suggests that the only way to accomplish this is to stick that thing halfway throug your eye wink_o.gif

The new videos at least demonstrate there will be a tool like "camera.sqs". Thats good news...

Bad news is that I'm feeling a rush of BF2/COD4 1337 15 year old players spoiling the party.