Sign in to follow this  
imported_bör

Operation Flashpoint 2 officially announced

I'm really getting tired of this bad mouthing of OFP2.

I think its grossly unfair for people to say, ooh the grass is low res, the distance is blurry the lighting is not up to scratch.

I did not mean it in a highly negative way. More in a constructive criticism sort of way. I'm not "bad-mouthing" OFP2 at all, in my opinion. If you read it well, you will see I totally appreciate the WIP status of it. Showing my concerns is only a part of the interest a fan has in the game, surely?

What I do expect in "the best thing ever" (loosely translated from the dev's rhetoric,) with a budget far bigger than Crysis' is some graphical fervour and a good art style.

Also it's not "legal" to have opinions on the OFP2 in-game screenshots, but we can have any negative opinion we want for Arma2? Hmmm.

the only thing i am clear that i dont like in OFP2 would be the backbone storyline, which doesnt make much sence

I'm really getting tired of this bad mouthing of OFP2.

I think its grossly unfair for people to say, ooh the grass is low res, the distance is blurry the lighting is not up to scratch.

I did not mean it in a highly negative way. More in a constructive criticism sort of way. I'm not "bad-mouthing" OFP2 at all, in my opinion. If you read it well, you will see I totally appreciate the WIP status of it. Showing my concerns is only a part of the interest a fan has in the game, surely?

What I do expect in "the best thing ever" (loosely translated from the dev's rhetoric,) with a budget far bigger than Crysis' is some graphical fervour and a good art style.

Also it's not "legal" to have opinions on the OFP2 in-game screenshots, but we can have any negative opinion we want for Arma2? Hmmm.

No wories mate! i was not directing my post at you, just that hapenned to be my most recently read negative point.

But thanks for the input biggrin_o.gif

Have to agree with Matt tbh,at the moment (and this is MY oppinion) smile_o.gif

I think ArmA2 is just shading it!

Just have this feeling that B.I might just pull it off?

But always good to have healthy competion! smile_o.gif

They're not pulling anything off on the Single-player side with that "Razor team" crap. It should be from a normal grunt's point of view, not some SF guys doing boring covert ops. There's no atmosphere in doing just some sf operations.

Source?

Also, I totally disagree. The SF missions in CWC were fantastic and easily among the best of the entire game. Anyone remember that one mission were you had to blow up like 3 T-72s along a crossroads crawling with guards?

Or the incredibly atmospheric one at night where you try to figure out where the hind base is?

That stuff was awesome.

Or the incredibly atmospheric one at night where you try to figure out where the hind base is?

That stuff was awesome.

Ah yes..the memories of frustration but fun, trying to find the right vehicle to follow and or hijack and not get caught.

The "Hind base" mission was the best... I always stole a hind and blew up the entire island biggrin_o.gif

I still remember parts of the dialog at the beginning:

"Lovely evening, ain't it? I see you guys are keeping busy?

"Gum?"

"No thanks"

biggrin_o.gif

The Black Op missions were so exciting. There were nights when I heared the BMP in my dreams... biggrin_o.gif

just playing through the good old ofp now, and the "surrounded by enemy" feeling is still there

every trees, every bush makes you feel enemy are there,

BMP, T72, every vehicles sound, far and near, makes you feel like they are comin at you

in fact, all the OFP and RES mission are so well made that you will keep playing and playing again after a while without getting bored easily

god i love those days

Agree it looks good, the detail of simulation appears higher than ArmA, hopefully this also extends to weapons and targeting systems.  While the videos up until recently looked good, they were getting old and still 'presentation movies', probably not what it will be able to do in-game on your machine.

One worry is the animations the presentations show - most easily seen in the Javelin-build and reload animation of the MG, they look like lengthy inescapable animation sequences such has been a sticking point with ArmA already - I wouldn't like to be stuck in that long animation while being shot at and be unable to dive to the deck due to more engine limitations in OFP2, nor in ArmA2 either.

Hopefully they'll both be completely free of such niggles.

This is a newer vid showing some in-game footage in the background:

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc....title;2

Looks a bit jerky, even on their demo rig, and all I see is a hand + gun, no looking around, no body, looks doom-like in some ways?

The thing that makes me REALLY go ARRRGH is the side-strafe...

Watch with sound off, at 2:20.

It looks like the thing will be another noob fest with console-kiddies side strafing like crazy, possibly bunnyjumping too but nothing showin on jumps.

On the side strafing speed, it looked like he was on glass, no effect on aiming, no lurching, silly fast speed to maintain aim in such a way.

There's a world of difference between the 'footage' movies that we have been teased with for ages and the actual in-game look and feel. Typical corporate bull, the graphics look good and even compare well with ArmA2 (except for the frame rate and view distance), but disappointing compared with the teasers that is all we had until now.

To sum up, the static view of the gun (doom, quake), the frame-rate on what has to be a high-end machine, obviously low view-distance, and the awful strafing lead me to feel very cautious of this title despite their claims of depth and realism...  They can have all the realistic bullets and bangs they want, but if the movement system is crap then it'll be a waste of time.

edit: On the bunny-syndrome is there yet ANY game that gives a reasonably long delay and/or limitation through stamina on jumping frequency and/or ability?

Hi all

So there will be no fixed wing aircraft in OFP2?

That is sad.

Regards walker

Hi all

So there will be no fixed wing aircraft in OFP2?

That is sad.

Regards walker

Where did you hear that because from what the Devs said there will be a few differant types of Planes. More Than Armed Assault.

They said that when you fly a plane across the whole island, it will take 20 minutes.

They said "fastest aircraft" not plane.

And 20 min with a chopper sounds more correct then a jet obviously, and as I have mentioned along time ago I don`t think there will be planes in OFP2 to operate only choppers.

Planes are probably only for calling in airstrikes.

Hi all

It is sad if Fixed Wing Aircraft will not be included in OFP2.

I used to enjoy using them in OFP and enjoy them more so in ArmA, everyone has seen the videos of the fast movers flying low over ArmA terrain it is a great rush flying like that. Nap of the earth to miss the tripple A.

I think a lot of players will not be interested if OFP2 takes this backward step from what even OFP achieved.

Sadly walker

there is notthing showing that there will/will not have fixed aircraft in the game, so pipe down both side

there is notthing showing that there will/will not have fixed aircraft in the game, so pipe down both side

Let's do some maths (arguably more neutral than fans):

Lets assume the "fastest" aircraft in the game is the A-10, one of the slowest aircraft in the US inventory:

It's max speed is 300 knots 450 knots (518 mph, 833 km/h). Cruising speed is less, 300 knots (340 mph, 560 km/h). This would mean that in 20 minutes, it can fly a little under 200km. Would it be reasonable to think that the width of the island (judging by the pics we have of it's shape) is ~200km? I think it's less.

The UH-60 has a max speed of 159 kt (183 mph, 295 km/h) and cruise speed of 150 kt (173 mph, 278 km/h). This would mean 92,6km. Seems more likely to me.

Of course this means following air force regulations and airframe limitations, which game developers aren't always that good at.

It's complete rubbish!

Of course planes will be in the game, Why wouldn't they?

I think a better question is 'why would they have planes?'. Airplanes in OFP were arguably the worst part of the simulation, and added virtually nothing to the game over helicopters. Without jets, they can pull back the scale of the sim a little bit, and focus more resources on the parts that people will be using for most of the time. Without jets, all other aspects of the game will benefit from the man hours required. What portion of the game is spent in jets? Like 2%? Maybe 5%? It doesn't make a huge load of sense to put a lot of time into an aircraft simulation in that case. This is quite evident in ArmA right now. The fixed wing simulation is the weakest part of the whole thing, likely because it is the furthest aspect from the focus of the game- the infantry.

Maybe the 'static unmoving gun' is WIP, as they are still working on the game and will add better animations later.

However, I have a feeling there will be no "full body awareness" like arma/ofp: That means they need to use detailed textures for a body that can't be used to make the gun pretty, and it seems they're not going to do that.

Shame, one of my favorite parts of OFP was being able to look around wherever I wanted while still moving in the same direction. Quite immersive, that.

If they're not adding playable planes, it'd be because they're hard to use/difficult to balance/hard to make 'realistic'. However, they are *fun* in their own right, and it's a bit silly to just leave them out.

It's all about Infantry to me, I could care less if you can't ride a Jet in OFP2, there's better games out there probably that deal better with flying a Jet.

i personally quite like to have A10 in ARMA, with a little tweak on flight control and loadout they are quite effective to take out many targets(in warfare CTI if west get their hands on it and they managed to find out the where about of east base is they will give east a very hard time), strong too, atless much stronger then an AH-1

It's all about Infantry to me, I could care less if you can't ride a Jet in OFP2, there's better games out there probably that deal better with flying a Jet.

Keep in mind that if they aren't in the game then not only can you not fly them but you can't fight against them either which was always fun for me.

Hmm i could handle not having flyable planes in the game.

I think it would be a good system where you could call in air strikes and parachute from them. But actually flying them, In arma and OFP2, flying planes was rubbish in my opinion. There is just not enough room, you had to fly low to be able to see targets, you couldnt go above 10,000 ft else you will just be flying in a constant nothingness.

And i have IL2 and LOMAC to take care of then, imo, they should concentrate on the close air support and ground units.

Although they would struggle to make the planes uber realistic it would still be fun to have them. Nothing like playing a coop where one of your guys is flying overhead engaging tanks and delivering CAS on positions you mark out with smoke, laser designator etc.

This is obviously WIP, so let's not jump to conclusions yet, but in the meantime let's hope this will improve a lot before release, because at current state, it's not really impressive. In my eye, it's not even on par with Arma 1 on many levels...

- Post-Effects are massively overdone, yet :

- Grass is low rez

- Vehicles seem low-rez even in close-ups...

- Ground textures are average at best...

- Clutter distance doesn't seem any higher than Arma 1 (2006)

- View distance is nice, but object detail seem quite low in altitude...

I hope the gameplay is better, but the FPS view seem very "arcady"...

The only great thing so far is the particle effects :  notworthy.gif

In a nutshell : With the game still being so "rough" I don't think they can hit their release target. Q3 2009 is probably more realistic for a really polished experience.

I would hate that it comes out bad with all efforts poured into it. I don't want them to hurt the Flashpoint brand.