Sign in to follow this  
imported_bör

Operation Flashpoint 2 officially announced

Wow just watched the trailer and it looks AWESOME biggrin_o.gif

If game play is half as good then watching the trailer then its gonna be a great game.

I'm sure there will be an editor cause if Codemasters gave a shit about Flashpoint then they will have realised the best parts was the editor and modability of the game so I'm sure it will be in the final game, or at least I hope so.

guys go get some sence of humor, its clear that we are just making jokes on the "hype" thing

anyway, i really cant judge the game with some render stuff

More like battlefield flashpoint... the art is nice but the trailer gave me a bad impression, cant relate that to anything, tactical, simulation or even Flashpoint alike.

I want more details on:

Modability/Editability (inc editor, scripts). Private servers should be easy to make/use.

Animations... damn they look sweet.

LINK

[im]http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1859/ofp2vsarmaxr9kv1.th.jpg[/img]

Off the codemasters forums.

Thats not fair. My ArmA looks much better than that screencap.

Yeah, I'd imagine that ArmA running at that detail level would be much faster than ofp 2 at its respective level of detail.  Also, it's a little bit shit to compare ArmA to OFP2, because ArmA2 and OFP2 will be competing, maybe, depending on the type of game OFP2 turns out to be, and when they release.  If there's a year's separation between the two games, then they are in the same genre but they aren't even in the same generation anymore.  These days a year of technological advancement is a quite a step.

Further, one is a screenshot of a game that's been out for a year and a half, and the other is a target render.  I hope this isn't meant to be a serious comparison.  It seems more like mud flinging or something underhanded.

Also, it seems that the ArmA screenshot has been cropped pretty heavily instead of zooming. If they used some zoom, ArmA would have preserved some details in the distance. ArmA wasn't meant to be viewed like that. If that is a target render for OFP 2, then it was designed to look like that from the start. It really seems like min/maxing, and cherry picking. The comparison is worthless.

Albert Schweizer

Please do not quote images.

It was a good movie, yes. It showed good immersion in the battles and yes the graphics were amazing but all the good points can be traced back to the CGI.

I hope realism in proper OFP1 terms is kept, and even extended. I hope the trailer is to show the average gamer that "this game will be great" but it doesn't do all that much for the realism fans or those fearing another CoD. As for me, I've still got an open mind and hope it lives up to its name and what the devs have said about it.

agree with SaBrE_UK

again we have to reserve judgment till we see something solid, but i have to say if this target teaser is what they aim the final gameplay to be like then seriously LOL   rofl.gif

This gives the impression that only few people at codemasters actually played OFP rather than just watched somebody else play it or make youtube videos for it.

WOW.... AMAZING MOVIE...

but just a movie nothing more.

Truly CodeMasters has begun to get me angry.... for the past 2-3 years we hear OFP2, OFP2 and all that crap... so has anyone see actually an ingame shot? or an ingame video?

With all these marketing shit, i doubt if i'm going to buy it...

Let's face it they're doing their best just to hit BIS and ArmA and 2, and before i have something in my hands like an actually in game video, or the demo.. i'm very sceptistic about OFP2 pistols.gif

agree with SaBrE_UK

again we have to reserve judgment till we see something solid, but i have to say if this target teaser is what they aim the final gameplay to be like then seriously LOL   rofl.gif

This gives the impression that only few people at codemasters actually played OFP rather than just watched somebody else play it or make youtube videos for it.

Whats so funny about the gameplay? Each game out there is aiming for immersion. So does ArmA. I loved the moments, when everything around me exploded and the commader's voice was shouting furious commands. But it was very hard to get them, even by scripting.

If the game turns out to be this atmosopheric during battles I'll love it, since sequences with much action don't deny a simulation-like game!

no, because the sniper takes out the guard on the tower AFTER the team has already goten inside the village.

Just in way of a possible explanation - Although if they were to take out the guard first, say with the sniper, the gunshot would be heard. He's too concealed to be taken out another way quietly. Better that the sniper watch the guard and let the team know when they can move in. Then the sniper can shoot the guard. Just like the video. wink_o.gif

For anyone interested who has not looked at the scans, CVG have posted the PC Gamer article online. LINK

Guest Ti0n3r

woot I love the animations & sound, hope the real game will look like that too inlove.gif

woot I love the animations & sound, hope the real game will look like that too inlove.gif

I'd say pretty much like that. GRID had render trailers too, and the game looks almost just like the render trailers.

I'd say pretty much like that. GRID had render trailers too, and the game looks almost just like the render trailers.

But producing thousands of complicated animations for a human is slightly different that animating a relatively simple vehicle such as a car.

Nice, looks like they are going to put the stuff in everybody requested but ArmA never included smile_o.gif

Hopefully it means there will be modern tanks in OFP2, not WW2 tanks disguised as modern ones like in OFP/ArmA.

I hope it will be ingame though, and is not just an effect built in some render.

Pulverizer thats a fake thermal image. Why those plants in foreground have the same thermal color like vehicles behind? Btw usually you can see the heat from engine block. Looks a bit odd if you compare it all to those hot unit faces and hands.

1_White_hot_360_Thermal_imager_Vehicle_Image.gifBlack_Hot_360_Vehicle_FLIR_HMMWV_thermal_imager.gif

Let's hope CM makes OFP2 close to realism and not only hires gfx with simple-minded AI and boring mission design.

Pulverizer thats a fake thermal image. Why those plants in foreground have the same thermal color like vehicles behind? Btw usually you can see the heat from engine block. Looks a bit odd if you compare it all to those hot unit faces and hands.

Oh really? Fake? You don't say...

It's just a quick CGI mockup for a shot that lasts a few seconds, perhaps made mostly in post fx on the rendered film. Not ingame screenshot. If they include thermal sights in the game, I'm sure they won't make the bushes glow like that as that would very much beat the purpose biggrin_o.gif

But producing thousands of complicated animations for a human is slightly different that animating a relatively simple vehicle such as a car.

Have you played the GRID demo? It's not so simple, and their attention to detail is remarkable, especially with the driver's animations and damage fx.

Have you played the GRID demo? It's not so simple, and their attention to detail is remarkable, especially with the driver's animations and damage fx.

I've played it and yes it's done well but it will never be as complicated as human movement- walking, crouching, running, sprinting, crawling etc.. Seriously there's tonnes more to do in OFP2 than in GRID, and making human animation is far harder as the human brain will pick up even the smallest inconsistencies in movement. Motion capture will help cut-down the time wasted but I still reckon it's far more complicated overall than GRID, hence the protracted development time.

It just seems to me there's a number of people willing to bury OFP2 as a BF2 clone before any real information about the game itself is going to turn out is released. Which is fine, we all have our own opinions, but we're getting two tactical shooters in 2009. The competition can only mean we're going to get two better products than if BIS or Codemasters were the only company working on a game.

Kay so we get more CGI...great... Pardon me if I don't sound enthusiastic but I can't say's I'm impressed with the way CM is handling this.

Yes it takes BIS a long time to get screenshots out and when they do get out their generally quite outdated it seems but I have to give them credit that they actually get the REAL stuff out there.

So far all we've seen from CM is CGI renedered imagery, some of it they claim to be ingame but we aren't shown any exact proof other then pretty words, I'm still skeptical on the LAV, the treads appear 3D so either they are using parallax mapping or their playing us for fools.

http://img.hexus.net/v2....rge.jpg (They also claimed this abrams to be an ingame model but unless you are making a tank sim why would you make the treads 3D? And wouldn't you want to make them more accurate? This also covered the parallax mapping, I don't buy it.)

And even if they were ingame models what does that leave exactly, the smoke effects are CGI, movement is CGI, physics are CGI and I wouldn't be suprised if some of the terrain is CGI.

I'm sure I sound like I'm trying to start a flamewar right now and this will upset many people but I'm tired of this "yes this is real but we have no proof", for all we know it could all be CGI and their just trying to keep the attention, however if someone can show some truth in this then I'll chirp a different song.

one word: marketing

it is needed for nowadays gaming market

one word: marketing

it is needed for nowadays gaming market

Marketing is about understanding your customers and learning to cater to their needs and wants.

So if the trailer was made for this purpose then we arent the target group. Simple as that.