Sign in to follow this  
imported_bör

Operation Flashpoint 2 officially announced

So many OFP2 offical medias came out,

I can't see any "Military simulation" on that, just like a movie.

OFP2, the "2" is more different without the "2"

US vs PLA? Is that PLA?? hahahaha!

I am a Chinese, with military training, That's totally NOT real PLA soldiers in that video. Too unorganized.

What is nice are the looks. Too bad it's CGI. The particle FX on that arty is awsome. Beats the ArmA mushroom cloud thingy which makes me shake my head and want to chastise the person behind the ArmA particles.

There's no real army action there, it's just 3d modellers screwing around. Why, for example, is the UH-60 landing in the middle of a battle? There are many things in that trailer that don't make military sense, but then again, if done how it's usually it doesn't create the needed action the trailer needs

So many games speed things up (as compared to real life) and that's a real immersion-breaker for me.  ArmA is no exception
in reality everything is faster than in Arma

*giggles* tounge2.gif

The trailer is nice, but its nothing more then a prerendered trailer so it doesn't really say anything.

(Btw, i liked the explosions but somehow they didnt seem to fit in with the rest of the scenes)

Do I have to like the trailer?  huh.gif

I mean before making such a Teaser with a team you sit together in a conference room and define the targets.

a) what spirit/vision does the game represent

b) who is our main target group

c) what does it take to attract and convince them

So here I am as a consumer giving replies

a) fast paced action.. something like Battlefield2 action mixed up with OFP athmo

b) I suppose casual gamers. This trailer puts emphasis on entertainment rather than anything else

c) I expected something like seeing "me the poor soldier stuck in between". But instead I felt like "lemmings caught up in boom boom fireworks"

in arma pre release day ppls seems to putted too much words into BI mouths and the result is what you see right now

but at less you know what the game is going to "look" like as there is already in game pictures and videos

as for OFP2 i would simply sit here and wait for real in game videos instead of half stage half pre pre pre prerendered what-so-called trailer(which is more a impression video then a trailer)

I must say, I wasn't hugely impressed with the video. I thought it was nice, don't get me wrong, but like Albert, videos to me are there to show what the developers aim to achieve with their product, and I didn't see anything hugely groundbreaking or new in that video. It even put me off a little.

Hopefully there are more to come.

Yet, if you compare this to some official ArmA videos that were out before the game you should see that it's pretty much the same style. Only better and more realistic.

Yet, if you compare this to some official ArmA videos that were out before the game you should see that it's pretty much the same style. Only better and more realistic.

dont know what makes you come up with this impression

but i simply cant get this video to link on any of the things in pre-release day of ARMA

and for the realistic bit i have no idea, you cant say it is "realistic" because there is acturally real human on stage acting in it rgr? icon_rolleyes.gif

but i simply cant get this video to link on any of the things in pre-release day of ARMA

and for the realistic bit i have no idea, you cant say it is "realistic" because there is acturally real human on stage acting in it rgr? icon_rolleyes.gif

no, because the sniper takes out the guard on the tower AFTER the team has already goten inside the village. Such a blind guard doesnt need to be shot. So he is propably a collaborator and they shot him with a paintball bullet so the chinese forces dont get suspicious.

Shortly after the village is being shelled. Strange...

This was a covert operations and all hostiles were killed in time. So since the chinese probably werent informed about this attack (only the one dude didnt respond over the radio.. but thats no reason to blow up your own camp) it couldnt have been them shelling their own position. it is a odd odd story.. but then again.. who cares

no, because the sniper takes out the guard on the tower AFTER the team has already goten inside the village. Such a blind guard doesnt need to be shot. So he is propably a collaborator and they shot him with a paintball bullet so the chinese forces dont get suspicious.

Shortly after the village is being shelled. Strange...

This was a covert operations and all hostiles were killed in time. So since the chinese probably werent informed about this attack (only the one dude didnt respond over the radio.. but thats no reason to blow up your own camp) it couldnt have been them shelling their own position. it is a odd odd story.. but then again.. who cares

nah...the sniper might just being good guy anyway

you see, if its not the sniper that shoot him he might still end up getting shoot at when he is back to see some high ranks,

which one you would like better? being shoot by an enemy or being shoot by a friendly? tounge2.gif

no wait, is it a covert operations at all rgr?

i mean....who would do a covert operations of this kind in daylight rgr?

Dudes, you are reading way too much into it, just a CGI teaser to get some hype going. If you applied such scrutiny to ArmA, you would run out of digital ink before you were done listing all its faults.

this video is amazing, if the game is the half of what i have seen, i would be happy, it would be already better than arma (i mean the graphics)

I guess it makes no sense to argue about on how meaningful it is to do covert ops on daylight, or why it makes no sense in tactical means to act like those operators. Fact is, it is a teaser and teaser implies to tease people and to create a hype by releasing stuff from that nobody knows whether or not it is achievable to create it realtime as well or only as offline-renders.

Optics is one point of a game, what counts is re-playability, extensibility and mechanics. So you can play CoD 4 for 15 hrs, loving the effects, the presentation, the immersion, but then? The fun is gone. This is where OFP2 needs to convince its old fanbase, rather than teasing BF/GRAW gamers. We are here because we loved OFP for its simulative nature, not for its optics. Codies need to put more details to the table, until now, it looks like a action oriented, fast-paced actionshooter. Nowadays anything is called tactical shooter, where tactics means to use both sides of the corridor and to trigger some scripts.

However, in case of OFP2 is not what it currently looks to me we can be happy. It just needed almost a decade to give us two titles that portray military in a simulative game. Today we know what ArmA has to offer, but OFP2 is just a blackbox, than can contain both, a shiny milsim or just the 100th remake of BF.

Cheers!

I guess it makes no sense to argue about on how meaningful it is to do covert ops on daylight, or why it makes no sense in tactical means to act like those operators. Fact is, it is a teaser and teaser implies to tease people and to create a hype by releasing stuff from that nobody knows whether or not it is achievable to create it realtime as well or only as offline-renders.

Optics is one point of a game, what counts is re-playability, extensibility and mechanics. So you can play CoD 4 for 15 hrs, loving the effects, the presentation, the immersion, but then? The fun is gone. This is where OFP2 needs to convince its old fanbase, rather than teasing BF/GRAW gamers. We are here because we loved OFP for its simulative nature, not for its optics. Codies need to put more details to the table, until now, it looks like a action oriented, fast-paced actionshooter. Nowadays anything is called tactical shooter, where tactics means to use both sides of the corridor and to trigger some scripts.

However, in case of OFP2 is not what it currently looks to me we can be happy. It just needed almost a decade to give us two titles that portray military in a simulative game. Today we know what ArmA has to offer, but OFP2 is just a blackbox, than can contain both, a shiny milsim or just the 100th remake of BF.

Cheers!

I agree. Thats why I look at this entire discussion not to seriously. A little amount of humor may be allowed, given the how publishers are always eager to call their game to be the digital revolution of the 21st century.

However I must clearly say that I was dissapointed to see that little was mentioned about the editor in all the eight page articles that were published about OFP2 recently. And that recently made me wonder in how far they realy target us, the OFP/ArmA freaks.

Just for the record. Covert ops doesn´t mean that such are always conducted during nighttime. Covert ops can also be performed during bright daylight by infiltration and/or merging with or along the enemy or using camouflage, cutting of communications by sabotaging relays and blocking radiotraffic and cellphone signals before actually conducting the main part of the operation.

The Codemasters is stating that:

Quote[/b] ]All of the models are from the game, including the trees, guns, buildings, tanks, helicopters, jets, etc - are from the game. The effects, motion blur, animations are CGI.

huh, models look good, too bad that animations are CGI huh.gif

The trailer itself wasn't thaaat impressing, though it looked interesting smile_o.gif

But the animations.... inlove.gif

Damn, they looked REAL! I mean, really real. First time I can say something like that xmas_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]All of the models are from the game, including the trees, guns, buildings, tanks, helicopters, jets, etc - are from the game. The effects, motion blur, animations are CGI.

That's too bad, animations were what really impressed me in this video.

Oh man, I was hoping for actual in-game footage playing but instead its the same old edited like an action movie but it does look if you "read between the lines", its gonna be interesting following this game to the end.

That's too bad, animations were what really impressed me in this video.

^^ this. those anims were great

and prettiness only goes so far.

how easy to make mods?

how powerful is the map/mission editor going to be?

whats the flight model fidelity level?

is it arma style hitpoints or will there be armor and penetration modelling?

trackir support?

From what ive seen so far my money is still on arma2 for more longer lasting appeal. CoD4 was gorgeous to look at, but for me its replay value is not much at all. MP is same same tediousness after a couple of weeks.

I want depth and detail in my games.

I want more details on:

Modability/Editability (inc editor, scripts). Private servers should be easy to make/use.

Animations... damn they look sweet.

LINK

ofp2vsarmaxr9kv1.th.jpg

Off the codemasters forums.

I want more details on:

Modability/Editability (inc editor, scripts). Private servers should be easy to make/use.

Animations... damn they look sweet.

LINK

ofp2vsarmaxr9kv1.th.jpg

Off the codemasters forums.

Thats not fair. My ArmA looks much better than that screencap.