Sign in to follow this  
cbfasi

Falklands Mod 1.0 Released

Does anyone have any information on British/Argentine military organisation in 1982, down to section level? I can't find a thing.

http://www.britains-smallwars.com/Falklands/index.html

British Army Section: Falklands War era [1982]

Adapted from Wikipedia.

A Section consists of eight to ten soldiers made up of a Corporal as Section Commander, a Lance-Corporal as his Second-In-Command (2IC) and six to eight privates.

Three to Four Sections together form a Platoon.

The typical Section was armed with and organized around the 7.62 mm L7 GPMG (General Purpose Machine Gun). The Section was typically divided into two groups. A Rifle Group and a Gun Group.

The Section Commander and five to six privates with rifles and/or submachine guns and perhaps a grenade launcher (such as the M79 or M203) would form the Rifle Group.

The Gun Group was commanded by the Section 2IC (Lance Corporal), the GPMG Gunner and sometimes another senior private.

Section tactics were basically designed around bringing the GPMG to bear on the enemy and to support the GPMG. The GPMG would be deployed on the highest ground, with the best field of fire. The rest of the Section carried ammunition for the GPMG. It was claimed that, in Sections organised in this way, the gun provided 80 per cent of the Section's firepower.

On patrol a Section Commander would put forward a scout, perhaps two, depending on terrain and circumstances. Each soldier within the Section had a function such as scout, pacer and check-pacer (measuring distance travelled), navigator and check navigator, etc.

CBFASI:

I guess you are right about the Gazelles....I just saw this pic on wiki:  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki....and.jpg

I definitely think that you made the right decision.  Please don't take my criticism as anything other then constructive.  Overall, most of the addons are excellent and there is definitely more then enough to make lots of great missions.  The critiques are just a few things that perhaps over time later, can be fixed up and perfected as time and interest permits.   As you note, a good many of the bugs spotted you have already quickly fixed.

My mod has gone through many of the same stages you describe so I fully understand what its like.  Right now I'm going nuts trying to finish my masters thesis while balancing a social life, trying to find a full time job,  and trying to get stuff released for my mod.

So hang tough and keep up the awesome work FLK Mod team!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

The Lost Brothers Mod Team Leader

inlove.gif I love this mod. inlove.gif

When the ships are placed in the editor there a no guns.

Are there any scripts to place the deck guns of the ships?

Thanks for this mod guy's it's brill! On playing the first mission when you get dropped off on the atlantic conveyer and have to fly the harrier over to hermes i get missing addon message flk men and something about 10ton truck (sorry a bit vauge) However i can still plat the mission crazy_o.gif I've looked for the flk men in my falklands addon folder and it's not their! Any ideas whats going on? Anyhow once again this mod rocks,thanks

inlove.gif  I love this mod. inlove.gif

When the ships are placed in the editor there a no guns.

Are there any scripts to place the deck guns of the ships?

included in the rar is a shipsetups user mission folder. copy it to your users/username/missions folder and open it up in the editor, i believ the team are prepping individual shipname_setup user missions for ease of use for users

Quote[/b] ]Thanks for this mod guy's it's brill! On playing the first mission when you get dropped off on the atlantic conveyer and have to fly the harrier over to hermes i get missing addon message flk men and something about 10ton truck (sorry a bit vauge) However i can still plat the mission  I've looked for the flk men in my falklands addon folder and it's not their! Any ideas whats going on? Anyhow once again this mod rocks,thanks

make sure you download all the updated files from the very first post of this topic, its updated regulary with bug fixes ect

i also recommend to everyone to check the flk teams bug page before asking about a bug/erroras lots of duplicate questions are coming up and most have the answers on that page

http://bugs.flashpoint1982.co.uk/view_all_bug_page.php

smile_o.gif

banghead.gif Damn, i installed the missions to usermissions, but forgot them afterwards. whistle.gif

For thos wnderign why they get problems when manning the Naval SAM launchers and Main Naval guns, these have NOT been designed for Human use, just AI.

There are issue's with stablity etc that I have never manged to solve, this affects placement significantly and also when they are hit they go flying.

At the moment its beyond my means to fix, although I do keep looking to see if there is a possible fix.

CBFASI:

I guess you are right about the Gazelles....I just saw this pic on wiki:  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki....and.jpg

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

The Lost Brothers Mod Team Leader

Hi Miles

The Gazelle was made from a 3 view scanned from one of those Observer type aircraft books, so it is possible that some dimensions were wrong. Originally I had made it the full 9.53 meters but when a guy was standing beside it he was too short (as compared to the ref pic in your Wikipediea link). So I rescaled the model and made sure the height was correct at least. I've always presumed that the meter square in O2 wasnt accurate anyway smile_o.gif. I found that when making models when using the 1 meter grid in O2 and the models (particularly aircraft) look too big for the pilot. Since then I now use Max to get the dimensions correct, and not worry about the O2 measurement.

Ah so it was the infamous Col. Klink that made those bad boys! HEhee... wow...long time no see. Glad to see you still kicking ass in addon making. Yeah I had just assumed that the OFrP size was right, but after looking at the real pics of crew standing next to the Gazelles, yeah I was wrong and you guys were right. Its apparently a really small helicopter and the OFrP version is just a little bit too large. Still they were kind enough to let LoBo use their Gazellle so I can't complain as theirs is a great model also. Overall yours is likewise a great model and alot of fun to use. I've always liked door gunners in OFP. In MP games, enemy human players hated me cuz I was able to command my AI door gunner to effectively kill them and enemy AI while flying a circular orbit around their positions. So anyone who says door gunners are a waste of time in OFP doesn't know how to use them properly.

smile_o.gif

At any rate....I'm really excited about this mod. I just wish that the Malvinas mod would switch the sides of their British and Argentinian units so that the FLK and Malvinas mods would be more compatible with each other. Granted a mission maker can switch the sides manually, but its a pain in the ass and very tedious to do. Both mods have great and unique units that really compliment each other.

Until then I'll just make seperate missions for each mod, but right now I'm really enjoying these new ships and exploring the tremendous opportunities to use them in missions. When I have more time after I release my mods Addon pack #3, I'll see about making some good missions based on historical battles. I especially would like to make use of the CoC compatible artillery.

Speaking of artillery, is Jim Love still advising the FLK team? I had pointed him to your mod team a couple of years ago. He's a Falklands War combat veteran who's a hell of an interesting guy. I would love to make some missions based off of his experiences.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I had both FLK's and MLV's Gazelles lined up in the editor, and noticed that MLV's was much larger. So I decided to park OFrP's Gazelle along side and saw that the OFrP one and the FLK one was fairly similar sizewise.

My question about the Sea King and Wessex seems to have drowned in all the other request/comments, so I'll try again:

I must say I'm rather impressed with the amount of good addons and maps that have been released. Pity that the Sea King and Wessex didn't make this release though. Any plans of releasing them in the near future?

For the time being I'm still using MLV's Sea Kings, so there's no rush on my part wink_o.gif

I had both FLK's and MLV's Gazelles lined up in the editor, and noticed that MLV's was much larger. So I decided to park My question about the Sea King and Wessex seems to have drowned in all the other request/comments,

I am sure my answer is already buried here regarding botht he Seaking And Wessex.

As far as I am aware they are being worked on and should hopefully make 1.1.

Your not the only one after them, I have a few simple style but interesting missions lined up when they finally appear.

I'm starting to create a mission based on a certain historical occurence down in South Geogia. However I need a certain ship named the Bahia Paraiso, I don't see it in the groups menu so I guess it's not in the mod. Is there any plans to include it in an update?

The mission I'm trying to create is based on a fairly famous event. I sort of need the ship, as in the mission there will be two choppers that will ferry Argentine troops from the said ship and onto South Georgia. Also I need it for a mission objective that involves a Carl Gustav.

Any word? Is there by chance a ship included in the current release that is of the same class that I could use as a place holder for now?

I belive you actually require the Ara Guerrico wink_o.gif

let them RM's give it some wink_o.gif dont forget the sniper on the kitchen table now hehe

I'm reading and looking at maps and I am infact wrong it is the Guerrico, which is included with the current release. The Bahia Paraiso is the transport that dropped some Argentine marines off to the north, well out of the map area available in the game.

*edit*

I'll definitely include the sniper, however I may be unable to have him on a table in a upstairs room. I might have to take a historical liberty with that detail. We'll see after I do a walk around tour of the settlement looking for enterable houses.

One of the white paneled houses at grid co ordinate Cb39 on South Georgia can be walked through as if it doesn't exist. It's map ID is 24213.

Good luck with the South Georiga Mission, THe 'Mill's Job was a good one, and you will find some basic 'SG defences' built for the mission that never was..

Information of use...

Marines postioned around Cj 41.

British Antartic Survery team at the Church (hence two winter like Civvies in our mod!wink_o.gif

Puma hit at around DB43, with it crashing across the bay at about Ci47

Alouette hit at around Ci44, crashing at about Ch46.

Argentines did get some teams in at CC43, these advanced while under fire aroudn to King Edward Point where the Marine after taking succesful pot sots at the Corvette (hitting near the waterline, forcing a withdraw) surrendered to superior numbers.

However none of the buildings are enterable on that map, partly down to many being effectively ruins with rather complex machinery (many buildings seen on the map btw have been demolsihed since! so be very careful when looking up pictures of the place, it almost caught me out too!wink_o.gif

As for the non-solid house, a minor error now fixed, thanks or the loaction helped me find out which one, I hope sometime soon to get this bunch of updates up.

As regards the Bahia Paraision, I have too little information about her to make a reasonable representation of the ship.

Guest RKSL-Rock
I must say I'm rather impressed with the amount of good addons and maps that have been released. Pity that the Sea King and Wessex didn't make this release though. Any plans of releasing them in the near future?

I'm the one to blame for the lack of Seakings and Wessex.  As CBFASI says, they 'should' be in the next (1.1) release.  You can look at the models as they are exactly the RKSL ones seen in both ArmA and OFP threads. Withthe obvious changes for avionics etc of the periods and varients.

I also forgot about wessex and sea king choppers... they did play an inportant role in the war. Still I wish that the next version of the mod will also contain scorpions ans scimitars. those light tanks seen little action becouse they couldn't disembark on the beech due to the larger quantities of rocks on the shores, but still I like the mod

-one more thing: grease guns look great and they are the best yet, but it would be nice if l1a1 and fn fal's would have a full auto fire available

-I miss Argentina's ground unit's like jeep's, other truck's (like Mercedes unimog) and land AA instalations.

Good show!

L1A1 slr did not have autofire capabiity without modification..

A decision was made a long time ago to allow for the realistic swapping of ammomags, ie you got slr and findg a fal you can grab the mag, however this has reduced both sides to same settings, tbh tho who really wants autofire on a 20rnd magazine...

Guest RKSL-Rock
-I miss Argentina's ground unit's like jeep's, other truck's (like Mercedes unimog) and land AA instalations.

Well we do have several unreleased (read un finished) Argentinian addons that will hopefully make it into 1.1:

1) Roland II SAM Shelter

2) Tigercat SAM

3) Mercedes Unimogs

4) Skyguard and GDF002 AAA

And maybe some others... wink_o.gif

Still I wish that the next version of the mod will also contain scorpions ans scimitars. those light tanks seen little action becouse they couldn't disembark on the beech due to the larger quantities of rocks on the shores, but still I like the mod

The Blues & Royals saw quite a bit of action with their Scimitar, Scorpion and [REME] Samson.

Thanx for the quick reply on the Seakings and Wessex guys. Much appreciated smile_o.gif

MLV have a fair bit of stuff out that will keep us going until 1.1 is out, so there's no rush there. Hope you give yourselves a chance to get some well deserved rest, you've most definately earned it.