Sign in to follow this  
KaRRiLLioN

RTS-4 ArmA Released

I would like an option to have an equal number of flags captured from the start - a quick start version. Also be able to set the time etc like other missions have would be nice.

Attached here you will find a MMA v2.2 MP mission for testing purposes (mando_remote.intro.zip).

was anybody playing the this map tonight about 12.30 gmt

was a really full server 50 odd players the game was lasting ages there was a real proper feeling of being in a war with a front line that stretched from ortgo to parsio airbase. There wasa massive scrap for ortego but i had to leave i was jsut wondering if anybody looking at this was playing and could tell me who won the end of this titanic battle.

I tired to take ortego at one point through those small trees to the west but came point blank with another squad of m1s and was torn to shreds. After this the battle went fluid with hmmves streaming past our front lines and geting torn up by our tanks but we couldnt take ortego as they had at tank squads taking out our armour as we tried to move in. brilliant game thanks karrilion.

A quickstart map sounds like a great idea!

I managed to sort of make my own version by putting repair trucks for each side where the flags are in the editor. voila instant resources. You can then start having big battles from the start makes a front line instantly. But i dont have a server to host this quick start misison on.

Wonderful, WONDERFUL mod! notworthy.gif Helicopter hitching vehicles? Just awesome!

Karrillion, is there any way to adjust the buildings so that they cannot take damage from falling helicopters? I hope there are options in there for discerning what it takes damage from?

Sometimes people engage in these suicide attacks with simple helicopters like a mh6. In no time at all you can knock out a side's entire supply, then sweep the map while keeping the boot on their neck (keeping their buildings destroyed) so the attacked side can't even fly or raise an army to counter this.

I personally refrain from those attacks because of how quickly it can ruin a RTS map... unfortunately it leaves us vulnerable if an independent suddenly decides to get into doing this.

The AI trucks take so long to recapture the towns, and there are some places where they go into the river instead of capturing it so you have to drive the truck manually. Once someone finds that all their work driving to the location is destroyed so easily with this tactic, there is no motivation to drive there ever again and the whole map just flounders.

ModaFlanker

Wonderful, WONDERFUL mod!   notworthy.gif  Helicopter hitching vehicles?  Just awesome!

Karrillion, is there any way to adjust the buildings so that they cannot take damage from falling helicopters?  I hope there are options in there for discerning what it takes damage from?

Sometimes people engage in these suicide attacks with simple helicopters like a mh6.  In no time at all you can knock out a side's entire supply, then sweep the map while keeping the boot on their neck (keeping their buildings destroyed) so the attacked side can't even fly or raise an army to counter this.

I personally refrain from those attacks because of how quickly it can ruin a RTS map... unfortunately it leaves us vulnerable if an independent suddenly decides to get into doing this.

The AI trucks take so long to recapture the towns, and there are some places where they go into the river instead of capturing it so you have to drive the truck manually.  Once someone finds that all their work driving to the location is destroyed so easily with this tactic, there is no motivation to drive there ever again and the whole map just flounders.

ModaFlanker

The truck problems u describe are due to the slow nature of the AI, they often get stuck on bridges/dont drive at full speed all the time and often dont go the way you want them to. Personally i send AI trucks out to close towns, and i drive to the further away ones

I updated RTS-4 to version 1.00.  See the first post in this thread for the change log.

Also added a new map: Sahrani North for this release.

WEWT notworthy.gif nice work!

I'll give the new version a whirl tomorrow hopefully! And glad to see you're still looking into implementing Mando Missiles!

thumbs-up.gif

Very nice!!!

We had a problem with the MCU trucks for three straight maps unfortunately. The first two times, noobs or griefers shot up the MCU truck before all buildings could be placed. The problem is that even when you build a new MCU truck it does not have the MCU menu for placing the rest of the buildings.

On the third map I had the unfortunate problem of having my truck launched 50 meters into the air when I drove over something it didn't like, and it landed upside down and therefore burst into flames. I was trying to place the air hangar... so without it, it was another bum map.

There any way to make constructed MCU trucks work as the original does, or for the MCU truck to respawn when destroyed or something that fixes problems like these?

Is there anyway the the commander could be voted for at start so some noob cant jump in and spoil the whole match.

This mission has really gained in popularity in the last few weeks but the amount of noobs/assholes jumping in has caused a lot of problems. there need to be some way of getting rid of team killers rather than the haphazrd admin vote system.

The server has been rocking as of late... lots of people playing and realizing this is indeed one of the deepest mods in getting the full OFP/ArmA experience.

Inevitably this has made the server a target for people like MyG0t who get their kicks from disrupting servers. They swoop in as a swarm all at once.

I've heard about something called Armaacs which is supposed to help stop most of the cheats/hacks (of course, cant stop the most determined ones).

We voted in an admin sometimes and so they were kicked off, but some kept trying to come back with another name. We need to keep those people banned... so anything that makes that come for them as soon as they start would rock.

Some of those griefers were driving the entire server nuts by abusing the radio with lame sounds... so some players annoyed by this were leaving the server saying they'd never come back [despite the instructions by others to simply slide the radio voulme to 0].

...Some of those griefers were driving the entire server nuts by abusing the radio with lame sounds...

IMO servers should just disable custom sounds. They are usually annoying and serve no real use.

Edit: But can this be done without disabling custom faces? That could be a problem confused_o.gif

Yeh...for 2-3months solid i would look for an RTS game daily but i giving up for now...so many games recently have been really lame and ruined by griefers.I come back in couple months. Gahhhhh!!!...ive started getting into Evolution meantimes crazy_o.gif

game tonight was good no children where trying to upset it dont know whats changed - love the north map by the way , you can really fight back if your side gets beat. Manged to fight back most of the way from one flag using guerilla tactics - secret ammo dumps in woods etc

Wow, cant believe i am just now seeing this for the first time. Gonna give this whirl on my dedicated...

I'd be handy if people spawn with nightvision.

Now when I join the game when its night or respawn during night, I cant see shit, because I dont have nightvision.

I'd be handy if people spawn with nightvision.

Now when I join the game when its night or respawn during night, I cant see shit, because I dont have nightvision.

You grab a nightvision kit from an ammo crate..

You meant to say that you'd like to be able to spawn after death with nightvision already in your inventory?

Quote[/b] ]You meant to say that you'd like to be able to spawn after death with nightvision already in your inventory?

Yea, it's hard to find an ammo crate when its VERY dark during night time in the mission. It's so dark that I cant even see which spawn points I can select, I only see the already selected spawnpoint.

I'm seeing a version 1.0 on the net but you haven't mentioned anything. What's new??

KaRRiLLioN, check out http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Talk:Conquer_The_Island

Check out the first post in this thread which he has added a lot of information to. Karrillion did also post a brief post to point to the changes he made, its somewhere recently in here so go backwards until you find it.

Yo, Doolittle. Interesting comment on CTI. When I made RTS-IV, there were no dialogs in OFP. Those weren't possible until version 1.85. By then, RTS-2 had been out for a while.

I made RTS-3 with dialogs at about the same time as CTI.

I'm beginning to wonder, however, if PvP is dying in ArmA. Seems nothing but coops nowadays.

We still get really big crowds for RTS-IV, although I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't have named it RTS-CTI since so many people seem to be biased toward anything with those three letters in it.

RTS can be a lot of fun... The only bad part is when the enemy sits 1-2k from your base, hitting 90% of the vehicles that spawn there. Even when they don't even have 1/2-3/4 of the towns.

KaRRiLLioN, could you comment again about creating AI. I think I asked you this before, but that was pre-1.08.

With 1.08, are you creating AI on the client or the server?? Do you see a difference in the way the AI performs? What did you mean by other AI not being "aware" of enemy AI if created on client? Is this still happening in 1.08?

By creating on server, I assume you make the unit there, then assign to a client's group?

EDIT: Oh yeah, what's the max AI you're allowing a player to control? In crCTI I think it's at 12 right now?

Thanks!

That AI comment was from way back in ArmA 1.03 when there was a bug in the new createUnit command.  I reverted it back to the old createUnit command and it works fine.  I think they fixed that command as of 1.06 or something.

In RTS-IV you can command up to 30 AI.  All AI are created on the local client, unless the commander makes them.  Then they're created on the server and assigned to the client.  But there's really no need for the commander to do that since all players can remotely create units, i.e. you don't have to be at a base building to do that.  You can create custom squads as well, up to 4 types including armor and then deploy them from base or a forward base, and all custom squads are assigned colors, i.e. red, yellow, green, blue.

There's a custom Ammo menu where you can create up to 4 custom loadouts and you can loadout any AI in your group individually, or all of them at once.

@SniperRedFox -- yep, that's gonna happen, but it'll happen in just about any game with flexibility.