Sign in to follow this  
KaRRiLLioN

RTS-4 ArmA Released

I found the error, but I dont understand why the file a10.pbo is not in my Addons folder, i already patch the game to 108....., maybe i should install the game again!

Thx anyway Karrillion

Guest Ti0n3r

Are there any mirrors for this one? I am unable to download it from the link in the first post, and a goggle search only found me 1 mirror where I had to register in order to download.

It works for me but here is the file anyways:

RTS-4 v1.0 (@ armaholic.com)

Guest Ti0n3r

Thanks a lot smile_o.gif

I think I saw you try to login today...

It kept saying that you were missing some files before kicking you off.

Did you install a mod or uninstall a mod? You are missing some ArmA files and so you may need to reinstall your game if you don't know what is missing.

-

Karrillion--

We had a very long North battle today until the server crashed (or you took it down?-- around 6:10pm EST Wednesday July 18th). It had gone on so long it went into night...

A lot of people were frustrated that you don't spawn with nightvision.. and so it was VERY dark. Even if you place a vehicle with lights on, when you respawn it shows up as if its lights are not on (when they are).

We need to change the default loadout for people so that they always have nightvision...

Yeah, we really had a very nice game, it was running far into night, we were playing for i think 800minuts. It was really a pitty that the server crashed, we had good teamwork on east, don't know about west. but like modflanker already said, nv would be usefull at spawn smile_o.gif

and kar, very nice mission rts. it is giving me the good old cti feeling:)

Oh i want to play in the night I was on one once nearly got there but the other side won as it got really dark. I should imagine night time really changes the way you can play this mission.

I played Karrilion's RTS for quite some time, and I found a few problems needing solution.

severe problems:

1. Team killers. Sometimes a person connects to a server, puts a few sachels, kills AI and vehicles, and is very hard to detect or stop. With no administrator, the game is ruined. A simple script that would make you frozen for a minute after getting a negative score would help greatly. There's one in Evolution, if it can help.

2. AI spam after more players join the game. It's playable when there are up to 7 players/side. Sometimes 30 connect though. With everyone building 30 soldiers, we have 900 AI on map. It horribly slows the game down. A script that would make creation of manned vehicles and soldiers dependant on the side's army size would be a good solution. Then, when a few people join, they can command many AI. When 30 join though, they have to deppend on each other more.

3. There is no counter for A10, as well as for Harriers. Harriers can simply resuply by hoverlanding, while to resuply when in SU, you have to have an airport. SU shouldn't be a one-attack plane I think. Maybe adding retexturized harriers and A10's to SLA would work, should there be no good counters in existing addons.

Ideas:

Some other suggestions would be making AI AA soldiers much less powerfull (possibly with mando missilles), but with auto-resupliable ammo. Introducing other types of AA missilles and chaff flares could balance the AA deffence even more.

To create a higher strategy level, time after which you can construct aircraft should be prelenghted. I think air should be made more powerfull, but rare. In the real war loosing even one fighter costs you a lot, while loosing tank is not so much. In current form of RTS you loose planes and helicopters almost instantly - even when flying with 600km/h just above the ground and attacking with laser guided bombs. Mando missilles could even that, and modification of time in which factory is upgraded so that higher levels are built longer, could create a longer strategic land gameplay phase.

Another idea, although maybe hard to implement, is to create roles. Pilot would command less soldiers, but have a lower plane build time. Tanker would have lower tank build time. Deffender a lower soldiers build time, maybe with possibility to build some entrenchments. Some best planes could be accessible only to pilots and commanders to prevent the planes spamming. There would be also no people joining winning side only to fly Harrier. It would put more focus on teamplay aswell. Roles could be fixed, or given by commander.

Actually, the more I think of it, the more I come to conclusion some kind of a resource system could be good. The current system is great, but it don't prevent people spamming high level vehicles and planes from the first minute they become available. It's not wise to build FFAR LB, when you can build Harrier or Apache. The time is not so important, as usually you live longer than the LB and Apache construction time.

If everybody was given a constant and uniform resource flow, he could choose between one plane, 4 tanks, or 8 BMP's. Game would look completely different. It would be more planning, less clicking. This could of course work on the top of the current resource system.

If it is resource consuming to iterate resource flow for every single soldier, server could remember the time soldier joins the game. It could also remmeber number of resources he spent, and based on the current time it could count if soldier can buy a given vehicle or squad.

A few ideas, nothing may come of it but perhaps... Never hurts to ask.

1. Required Addons (Eventually, at least in your server).

-----Reasons.

-------A. Hackers will have less motivation to screw with the mission. Thus a better game play experience.

-------B. I hear the "No Cloud" addon allows for fast-time without FPS decrease? Perhaps this addon would eliminate the fast-time issue... however I don't know why RWS didn't lag with fast-time.

-------C. Tanks/Vehicles, so a more balanced system can be in place.

-------D. More vehicles for EAST since they already are at a disadvantage.

-------D. Having building addons that simulate enemy's to AI could be smart for having AI air attacks.

2. Beacons.

3. HALO

4. Allow FINISHED built units REMAIN in the users inventory.

-------Reasons

---------A. To stop vehicle spammers that make air/armor units while ether AFK or away from base to save time.

---------B. To stop people from sitting at the air factory, wasting time and perhaps loosing the game for the team since they are doing nothing productive.

---------C. If AI unit is built and in que, you could position yourself on enemy base with laser and thus allowing you time to target the enemy without having the AI plane/helo fly off in random directions.

5. GPS in vehicles, like in some MP missions. (Top right, transparent).

6. Mando missle scripting? Perhaps an edited version for the accustomed RTS player?

--------A. This way a player can use flares and tactically assess his ground targets.

7. Disabled infantry 3rd person, for those people with AA launchers behind hills who cower away after each launch. Keep vehicle 3rd person mainly for:

--------A. Vehicle hitching.

-------------1. Vehicle hitch cam possible? (Looking down view with cross hairs to mark target to which is being hitched).

--------B. If mando is enabled, a user could see the missles direction to try and shake it.

Quote[/b] ] Required Addons

I think it may be not the best idea, as a lot less people will play RTS. On the other hand, renaming it to CTI-RTS could indeed work in opposite direction.

Quote[/b] ]Allow FINISHED built units REMAIN in the users inventory

A good idea, although maybe hard to mod.

Quote[/b] ]Disabled infantry 3rd person

well, it's RTS. You should be able to command your soldiers easily. Blocking 3rd person blocks also command view, what is unacceptable.

Quote[/b] ]HALO, Beacons

I don't know what it is smile_o.gif

3rd can be disabled server side.. so its up to personal preference. Personally i never use 3rd at all :S Especially when flying...

To hitch vehicles you just need to fly over tothe vehicle fac, glimpse your vehicle, then fly over the top of the truck, hitch, if it tells you you're too low, rise, then press again and fly away smile_o.gif works everytime for me

1. I can hitch vehicles easily. Just because what I suggested is easier, doesn't mean it doesn't have to be discredited because some people can do it while others cannot.

2. Required addons, at least is KaRRs server. I'd rather have a 15v15 with loyal and committed players whom would take the inititive to download the addons. Plus the gameplay, will continually be renewed. The probability that players will:

--- A. Know the game.

--- B. Provide a good work effort.

--- C. Be a good team player.

--Will be all that much better. I'm tired of noobs sitting at the air factory, spamming vehicles, making usless things, not capping territories, just attacking enemy bases when that is not nearly as important as taking towns.. hackers just coming into the server to merely screw with you, then to leave... I think.. at least for Karr's server, experienced veteren players are a nessessity, hopefully it can one day be like OFP again with mods/addons. Personally, if 99% of the community didn't come on Karr's server, but it were purely old OFP players on TS... I'd rather have that smile_o.gif

3. Que'd units: Hard to mod? < This is Karr! He could recode all of ArmA! (If he knew coding!wink_o.gif

4. HALO - High Alt Low Open

5. Beacons... RTS3 terminology. You wouldn't understand.

Or just a whole RTS3 transfer, but with near 100 scripts that'd have to be recoded...Just thinking about all of that work that would have to be done makes my head spin.

But since Karr and the regular's hardly play ArmA anymore, I hardly see any additions in the coming weeks/months until ArmA is playable as OFP was.

so what does karr and that play rts 3. I had ofp since it came out but never got into rts, perhaps I should dig it out and have a go.

Hello. Been playing on an off all week, great map. I do have a few thoughts on it though.

the SLA Landrover that is spawned comes up as an enemy vehicle because the SLA are hostile to all sides. this proves to be a problem when someone has spent the better part of an hour driving behind enemy lines, only to be taken out by a TEAM MATE who mistook the vehicle for enemy.

Solution? Either make the SLA neutral to all, OR add some of the civilian trucks to the list so we can have more choice on light vehicles.

Can we have a humvee or brdm version that can spawn base defenses, ammo crates etc like the original RTS series in OFP? It would be alot easier than driving a truck to a position near the enemy base to build an ammo crate for resupply when B.E.L.

Ideally it wouldnt be able to capture areas, but would be just a utility jeep that was capable of spawning certain things and making life generally easier. :P

base defenses - in the older RTS and CTI missions on OFP, we could build static base defenses. Would it be possible to include something similar? a forward base just isnt a forward base without some sort of static defense system. Something with anti ground capability and anti air capability.

But besides the above, AWESOME MAP! I cant wait to finish work these days so i can get home and play! and not many games have had that affect on me in years. biggrin_o.gif keep it up. biggrin_o.gif

(BEL = behind enemy lines)

(P.S - Please dont take the above as demands, they are merely ideas which in my opinion could improve gameplay, but that is merely my opinion.)

Quote[/b] ]Beacons... RTS3 terminology. You wouldn't understand.

Damn, I don't like such an attitude. I played OFP from the day it was released. I contributed a lot to the community. I played in a clan. I quit before RTS3 became so popular, so I don't know the beacon term... Still, it'd be nice if someone explained it a bit.

It's great to have a devoted community... Still, it's better to have an unexperienced community, than to not to have it at all. I'm not shure there would be enought people to play RTS with addons - not 15vs15, but even 4 on 4. The balance is very important here. I think current version of RTS did a great thing advertising this type of play. Hopefully, there will be less evolutions, and a bit more RTS's in the future.

Anyway, this what I'd love to see in the future would be a few RTS clans.

I have an idea that I would like to bring up, but am not sure how it would be welcomed:

I have been playing RTS, 1 v 1, with a fellow gamer bud a little bit. One thing we both agreed we would like to see, is the ability to spawn A.I. officers (Colonels) and recruit A.I. for City offense/defense, with the intention of increasing the frequency, size, and duration of battles. Now, I know nothing of coding / scripting, and am fairly new to ArmA, but the idea is to spawn an officer and attach units to them allowing the aforementioned to be increased (battle frequency, size, and duration).

We all know you are able to control 30 members, which is quite a bit, but not enough for the expansive territory. When playing covering the territory that you do, we have run into issues getting our units into the same spot. I am not a huge fan of the A.I., but on the upper levels with the add-ons they can be decent defenders.

What brings this up, is the lack of battles on our versus campaign. We have both found that on numerous occasions, joining servers already in progress ends up lousy. One side is always well ahead and has positioned spawn camping units at all your spawn points. They also don't like restarting because of the degree of superiority they have, and quite frankly, are pansies for it. If you are one of these people, know now that you suck, and will forever suck.

Like I said, I am not aware of this even being possible, but while the AI isn't all that great and MP is definitely better, this will ensure you have constant fighting going on. We have just had too many negative experiences with MP servers.

With all that said, thank you for your work. Awesome map!

i find that there is usually always one side dominating... *BUT* ive also noticed how it can swing back the other way completely within an hour and then the team which was dominating is on the backfoot, as they try to attack the main base and end up getting flanked in the other cities where there is insufficient defence. So i like the dynamics of the MP games smile_o.gif

The tides usually turn when the players on the winning side all decide to fly attack helicopters and jets. They get lazy and let the "losing" team capture all their territories one by one, and they don't command their AI troops (kinda hard when you're airborne). Then, when they no longer have the resources to build their shiny aircraft, they quit or switch teams. By now the team that was losing at first is proud of their comeback, so they steamroll with ground forces for bragging rights.

If I could have anything it would be a "deploy unit" button. You wait 350 seconds for your beloved chopper/plane... then its in an inventory. You click "deploy" and get into it. Simple as that.

1. No one will steal your vehicle.

2. It won't spam the air factory.

3. It wont be in the way if someone is trying to take off.

4. It wont spawn on top of another vehicle *less likely if your smart about when you spawn it*

=========================

Oh, and with addons, there'd be at least 20 people in the server with teamspeak every night. It would be much better. Speaking of course once the tools are released so we can have balanced vehicles for each team and a better driving control model.

It would be nice to have a Scrimage system, but we would have to gauge the potential participation.

could we get 4 teams of 10-15 players

some type of organized play would solve many of the issues presented in this style of play.

I remember that in OFP RTS-3 the best part was knowing that everyone was on Teamspeak(TS)

and helped each other out. I have yet to play a RTS-4 where at least 5 players on each side was on TS.

Plus, it would minimize the cheating, and we could employ Referees in the Civ slot to watch over battle with spectator script.

Blacknight

Yea... no one uses Karr's TS anymore... (Except the RTS Veterans of 5-6 years) kinda ruined the entire game. Hence why think people should be required to come into TS in order to get the server password for the day. Thus everyone having TS smile_o.gif

Force everyone to use TS! Mic or not.

Yea... no one uses Karr's TS anymore... (Except the RTS Veterans of 5-6 years) kinda ruined the entire game. Hence why think people should be required to come into TS in order to get the server password for the day. Thus everyone having TS smile_o.gif

Force everyone to use TS! Mic or not.

That'd suck for me-- I'm deaf. sad_o.gif Can enjoy sound effects with my hearing aid, but cant make out what is said in speech.

As people move away from typing in games and towards TS I'm looking around hoping there's a speech-to-text program I can use that works very well...

FYI, I put a new version on the server - RTS-IV 1.10.  This is a release candidate with some major changes.

There's a new hybrid economy in this one.  At the mission setup screen you can choose from:

1.  Resource Capacity - the current method where only resources matter

2. Resource Credits - this works just like money.  You earn credits depending on your territories and the levels each is at.  You still need a certain amount of oil/ore for vehicles, but the amount is about half of the normal amount.

3.  Hybrid Economy - this uses both credits and the normal resource requirements.

I've also added a new gametype.  Now you can choose from Annihilation or Victory Point control.  Annihilation is the regular style where you have to destroy the enemy base when they have 3 or fewer territories.  Victory Point uses a similar style to battlefield where you must take specific points in addition to the normal territories and make the enemy team's ticker points reach 0 to win.

So if you want to check it out on the server and give me some feedback, go at it!

smile_o.gif