Sign in to follow this  
KaRRiLLioN

RTS-4 ArmA Released

Nah sorry cant agree with you there.An A10 up with 5 Mavericks will probably result in a 1/2 way decent pilot getting 5 armour kills one after another

Compare this with the AH-1 having 8 Hellfire missiles. Chopper can hover and attack from safe distance. It can also land at a nearest repair pad and rearm very quickly, whereas A-10 needs a friendly airport to land safely. Compared with A-10, the AH-1 is capable of destroying a larger number of tanks in a given time.

I played 1.xxR on your Bootcamp server yesterday, played for just over an hour then i had to leave, but it was running great smile_o.gif I didnt encounter any bugs personally, and althought the A10s would be cool, i would say NOT to add them, until some sort of balance can be achieved.

Quote[/b] ]Compare this with the AH-1 having 8 Hellfire missiles. Chopper can hover and attack from safe distance. It can also land at a nearest repair pad and rearm very quickly, whereas A-10 needs a friendly airport to land safely. Compared with A-10, the AH-1 is capable of destroying a larger number of tanks in a given time.

Ya..you may well be correct...another reason why i really think adding the A10 is going to really unbalance the game to West.The Maverick vs. Hellfire set up looks exactly like Ofp..you got to keep Hellfires locked on almost exact until impact..the Mavs are as good as fire and forget.Regards.

The Maverick vs. Hellfire set up looks exactly like Ofp..you got to keep Hellfires locked on almost exact until impact..the Mavs are as good as fire and forget.Regards.

Hellfire is fire-and-forget in ArmA and a single missile destroys a M1A1. Check the facts before posting.

One thing that might work is what I'm already doing with the SU34--which is to add mavericks to its loadout or something. I dunno, it's kind of a workaround, but I'll have to see.

I would hate for armor to become totally useless. It's already difficult enough with attack choppers.

Quote[/b] ]Check the facts before posting

Relax m8 crazy_o.gif I not sure i 100% agree with you on the missile point..ill need to check it later.Lol if i was firing a Hellfire at an M1 id surely be hoping it missed!!

Mavericks on the Su sounds a great idea...it really seems like as in Ofp that they lethal/are much easier to blast targets with while manouvering wildly/evading AA.Regards.

I would hate for armor to become totally useless. It's already difficult enough with attack choppers.

Well, as in RL, if you let your enemy gain air superiority, you are going to lose the war, not just your tanks.

Just some constructive criticism for ya mate. I love the RTS missions, probably my favourite thing to play, have had some really good 3hour+ missions with it. However, i have noticed that generally, the battles seem to be really similar, it ends up with bluefor with one half of the island, and opfor with the other, i have a few ideas that could spice up the already great gameplay.

- Different islands, this may limit the amount of players, but it would provide a totally new type of gameplay and the gameplay tactic would be unique to each island, for example, the PMC AEC island would be fantastic with this game mode, it would offer a totally new style of gameplay.

-You could also add territories to the surrounding islands of sahrani, but make them have a really high yeild so people have an incentive to go and get these territories, it could really move the battle away from the island and perhaps offer a differnt theatre of combat.

-Generally on games, people end up taking choppers behind lines and blowing up resources, i was thinking that perhaps as the base upgrades throughout the game, more and more AI manned defenses grow up with the base

EG. Level 1- Small checkpoint

Level 2- Small encampment

Level 3- A whole unit on R&R or something etc etc

I think that some of these ideas could really help to keep this really cool game mode fresh and even more exciting.

Hope i helped

Winters

would it be possible to make more than one load of barracks vehicle spawn etc so you could make secret bases etc I know that you can cap the foward bases but it would be good to be able to hide a barracks in woods etc. I know you can do tis at the start but the start is always a rush to get trucks out no time to find a good spot. That way if you get pummpled youve always got your secret base to rely on.

I really dont agree with this unbalance talk. The opfor planes still have 80 rockets and that makes it better than anything else at taking out installations <level 4. At level 4 it is pretty much as good as the GBU if you are good at aiming the GBUs which noone Ive seen is. Doesnt the KA50 have 12 missiles still? how is that not unbalanced in the favour of opfor? If you still think its unbalanced maybe you should give the opfor less buildtime/cost on theire tanks. Im not bullshiting, I play opfor 90% of the time. Whatever you do dont add an A10 to opfor and please dont give them mavericks either. its not necessary. Balance is alot more about terrotories. The side that gets helis to kamikaze the other sides oil first or gets GBU/rocket planes to attack oil first will have an advantage. It has alot to do with the skill of the individual team members too since some are very familiar with how RTS works and some dont have a clue.

InQ, i dont mean to be offensive, but you are wrong on many points.

KA50s 12 rockets are very inaccurate compared to the cobras, with the cobra u can engage from 3000M, with the KA50, u must been within 1000 and on a straight flightpath for the rockets to hit, even then the chances are dubious. So that is fairly balanced.

And the aircraft are also balanced, Su34 has a speed advantage over the blufor aircraft, but its weapons are not as destructive.

You say the GBU is "hard to aim". You dont need to aim the GBU manually, u laser designate targets, a harrier and ground troops are the most deadly combination of the game, i have destroyed many bases with a harrier willing to co operate.

However, i do think that OPFOR have a slight advantage in the realms of BMPs, they are really cheap and fast to build and are deadly on the battlefield, but blufor has no real weapon specifically desinged to counteract this, so i think this is where the A10s tank destroying qualities can be introduced to balance it out.

Overall in the game, opfor way out of league in blufor technology, and opfor need a helping hand to equalise the battle.

Im not talking about killing factories..the A10 and its Mavericks are a real armour killer and i cant see anything on East which is close to its devastating potential..2 or 3 A10s in the air will clear the island of all Easts armour in minutes..nailing Shilkas from high up and far away before they get a chance to open fire.You could argue that the KA-50 counters the A-10 but its just not as lethal in speed,evasion and range plus all the helos are simple to knock down..from what ive played so far the A-10s can take a healthy amount of damage.Its a 2-team game but my concern is that if one side has a clear advantage in its capabilities everyones gonna get fed-up being pummelled on East and play West all the time..eventually killing the game.Even though the 2 sides are pretty balanced at the moment(maybe just slightly +west?) and tactics and players being smart can send a game either way..i do think that an A10 and its Mavericks available for west just tips it too far that why i reckon the idea of adding them to the Su loadout is a great idea.It might not be "as in RL" but this is a game for fun.I suppose tho' at the moment this all just conjecture,the A10 might make no difference at all..i guess we cant know for sure until/unless a new version gets released.Regards smile_o.gif

What I may do to start, is add an option so you can disable/enable the A10 in the game. You'd need two good teams to properly test whether the thing would tip the balance too far.

Positives: High firepower, fire & forget rockets, good main gun, good armor.

Negatives: Slow, not as manueverable as the Harrier

One thing I would like to see is a fuel loss script for jets. They can take way too many hits from AA rockets.

What I may do to start, is add an option so you can disable/enable the A10 in the game.

Just make a new beta with A-10 and let's see if West wins more often than East.

Quote[/b] ]Negatives: Slow, not as manueverable as the Harrier

Also needs an airfield for rearming, which seems to be underestimated here.

Quote[/b] ]One thing I would like to see is a fuel loss script for jets. They can take way too many hits from AA rockets.

Do not forget there are no countermeasures in ArmA (excluding addons).

Probably RTS4 might be a good testbed for MMA v2.2 before final release.

Hey Karrillion, you made only mission worth playing!notworthy.gif

But two bugs to report:

Bug 1 (You can continue playing after this)

bug1fr0.jpg

Bug2 (Server boots and players have CTDs i had to be really quick to catch a screenshot from this error biggrin_o.gif )

bug2dx8.jpg

Bug2 seems to occur only in RTS4 South missions and not in RTS4 North&South.

All bugs were on Karrillion Boot Camp server...

Hope this help!

Probably RTS4 might be a good testbed for MMA v2.2 before final release.

please put the mando missiles in it would balance out the a-10 wouldnt it?

Yep, it might be a good testbed for MM. Just send me a version and some instructions or you're welcome to insert it yourself.

I had a brilliant game of this last night set up a huge armoured column that headed north, a mixture of AA and tanks nothing could stop me. I moved slowly with AA troops and shikas protecting my tanks and manged to squeeze the opfor right up to their base.

The good thing was they found it hard to send over scout choppers to knock out my flags as they were getting mashed up as they flew over my convoy. Anybody else got any good tactics for this brilliant mission..... there was a spectacular bit when i was closing on there base when they must have sent out about 10 repair/ammo trucks at once that came face to face with my tanks BOOM the sky was black with smoke.... when it gets going easily the best MP mission for arma.

Tactics: Early on, get the appropriate resources, using both AI trucks for closer targets and yourself for further bases. Get transport choppers as soon as possible, then hitch trucks to the remaining bases, i do this often and usually end up with over half the island smile_o.gif

In the latter stages... Use a couple of cobras for some Anti-armour raids, use the terrain to your advantage, while doing this, create some tanks + anti air, then create a tank for yourself, then keep them in formation with you and mount your raid on their main base (which you probably would have seen in a chopper)

Couple of bugs...

bug3zl6.jpg

Take your ammotruck and climb over that tallest hill and shoot the crap out of enemy planes! When you arm yourself at a ammotruck or at a vehicle factory there is possibility to select AA weapons with 6 aa missiles. One aa missile takes only 2 weapon slots. biggrin_o.gif

If commander squad is full commander can't add units to other players squads.

Keep up the good work!  thumbs-up.gif

That XP (experience points) bug is caused because either the unit killed was null, or the killer was null, i.e. it sometimes happens with rocket blasts, or other death-by-world causes.

And it's not a bug that my ammo menu allows up to 6 AA rockets. The AI are a tad spotty (or were) with shooting down planes, so I had to make AA a touch more prevalent.

Firstly, what a fantastic game mode and extremely well put together! I dont think the FPS world will have seen anything like this before and im sure that its going to be the most popular mode out there, if it isnt already.

One thing I have noticed is that it can take some time for the game to gather momentum if there are few players on the server. I have no doubt that this game mode gets even better with more people.

In the early stages of a game there is very little combat, an aspect I actually really like about it, but one which may result in many players leaving the server due to a lack of action.

To aid this, I wonder if it would be possible to implement a system where by the number of available flags dynamically changes in accordance with the number of people on the server. This may help focus the action a bit more.

So for example, there are six players on the server and as a result there are maybe only 6 flags to fight over. When the 10th player joins the server, the number of flags increases to 8 and so on.

Im no mission designing expert so I have no idea if its possible or even worth implementing. Just an idea.

In any case what I would like to see is another version of the map with fewer flags, although I would imagine a great deal of thought has gone into the balancing of where the flags and resources should be placed on the two existing versions.

I'll finish by underlining how great I think this game mode is. GREAT job! notworthy.gif

Several key things got improved by the 1.08 upgrade:

- It is possible to build effective air defense. Before 1.08, there was no reason to deploy manned Vulcan or Shilka as the AI was just spectating.

- JIP is much faster now. Connecting to a long running game previously took several minutes, now it takes a few seconds.

- Destroying a building with GBU requires a direct hit now, which makes dive bombing less effective.

Im sure dynamic flags are possible.. but i dont think it would fit into the mission...people come and go regularly and flags which appear/disappear must be irritating when ur trying to drive to them...

If people cant be bothered to drive a little way to get the tea some flags, i dont want them on my team :P

Just my opineon wink_o.gif