Sign in to follow this  
KaRRiLLioN

RTS-4 ArmA Released

I think adding AI to the towns would be good like CTI it adds alot more team work instead of the truck race.

I disagree breeze.. its a waste of time.. they'll lag the server like hell too... RTS runs much smoother, u need to have good organisation to get the majority of cities before the enemy anyway.. also if you're smart enough u'll need to get a balance of different towns for the different resources as well as creating forward bases where necessary...

Who needs to fight some crappy AI when u will fight the players on the front line after the towns have been captured?

EDIT: To the poster a couple of posts above...

I have not encountered that issue, the ONLY time they've returned to formation for me is if i disconnect and reconnect.. which is probably a BIS bug rather than an RTS bug.

Also you can load up ammo manually into choppers if u want.. just drop an ammo crate at base and then access the gear screen next to the chopper to load it up wink_o.gif

Hi. I might been not acurate reader of this thread- but did there was talks of getting planes out of rts?? you cannot do that! that will be a very bad thing.

And a suggestion: who needs " command points" if they do not mean anything? make restriction to large amount of bots to that players that have not so much commander points-

and server cpu's will not be overloaded....

Can someone tell server ip's in europe that playing mostly rts? inlove.gif

Coz i onlt found one- it's karrlion's server. Others play that not such interesting to me evolution....

We have rts on our =22SAS= public server,if no-ones on it , hop on and start up a game! wink_o.gif

I disagree breeze.. its a waste of time.. they'll lag the server like hell too...

Negative! It may load up slower but the lag most people experience is due to user created AI that has to synch with the server. Server based AI should not incurr that much of a load on the server.

RTS4 up on our server as well now called THE USM KILLZONE biggrin_o.gif lately have had it on that map but no one seems to drop in. Server is great, good ping 10-40 ping for most of the US gamers jump on in check out Karrilion's kick ass missions.

I do not like how Arma itself has rendered the Vulcan and Shilka useless against airplanes. either that or stingers should kill a plane their first shot. Ground troops should be motivated to take out air defences before getting airplanes enter an area by what it costs the team.

I know this was posted awhile back, but I've seen people rip things up with those shilkas and vulcans.  However it takes practice aiming ahead of the target.  I don't think the Stingers and Strelas should take planes out in one shot everytime.  However, I wish the damage was more realistic.  

You have to figure its hitting the engine, so cause trouble flying it or lower speed and maneuverability.  Secondly, damage should vary and vary depending on location of impact.  Location of impact works on ground vehicles and choppers... so why not on planes.

I know that strelas and stingers are more of an armour piercing artillery, but what payload do they carry in comparison to a m136 or javelin?  Don't forget when Mondo's Missile Mod is incorporated, the missiles should do much greater damage.

To be honest I think if they ever get the ai to do their job, shilkas and vulcans will even out the playing field and increase the incentive to take out AA from the ground or long range with hellfires.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts on it.  But I understand no one wants to be at the mercy of BIS' ETA on anything.

banghead.gif

RTS4 up on our server as well now called THE USM KILLZONE  biggrin_o.gif  lately have had it on that map but no one seems to drop in. Server is great, good ping 10-40 ping for most of the US gamers jump on in check out Karrilion's kick ass missions.

Hey Highspeed,

When was the last time YOU went onto your server and started playing RTS by yourself?

nener.gif

I've looked at adding RACS to the mission, but it isn't really lag so much that I'm worried about, but the fact that the mission will go a LOT slower.

In RWS, there are enemies pre-placed in the towns, and it usually takes 30-40 mins before both teams have cleared the towns and even meet each other in battle. IMHO, that's almost like playing a coop before the PvP part starts.

Having said that, I may make either another version, or create some options so that the mission can be customized at the start. I may also add some coop elements so an AI controlled team would actually go out and cap, etc. The only issue with that is getting the AI to actually do those things with their questionable pathfinding.

I still think PvP is the most fun way to play, but everyone has different tastes.

Perhaps the 1.07 patch will give the AI slightly larger brains.

Well in my experience it does degrade performance with an increased amount of AI, whether they be client or server side...

But like Karr said, i remember playing CTI in OFP.. most of the game was played against the Resistance and the only kill messages u'd get would be 'User was killed.' rarely ever a Player Versus Player kill message, jeez people used to be congratulated if they got a single kill :P The only time the kills came in was when the base was being attacked.. at least with RTS it can go straight into the battle and the frontline is formed quickly...

But i guess having a future version with some options wouldnt be too bad.. it would probably be a bitch to code for a LOT of options tho cause of the two variables limit in the GUI.. it ends up with requiring TONS of variable combinations as they can only be split into two halves :S

And if the options were to be decided after the map has started and loaded it would cause JIP problems + also increase loading time... tho if it could be implemented by variables in the future it aint so bad wink_o.gif

Karrillion I in no way was hoping to change it to a AI fest or CO-OP version I love the PVP I just like the idea of a resistance in towns to end the truck race as so many call it. If we had some AI resistance so to speak we could get the rifle teams acting as a team from the spawn and the south team could maybe be cut a break there because it just seems to be harder for them to win for some reason.

Lastly I have a huge request for you, Could you possibly create a small tutorial for some of us mappers that are not so great that we might be able to add or replace some custom add on units at another time. I thought that actually might be easier than the amount of customizations you are proboblly asked about.

Thanks in advance

Breeze

lol You just kick me on idea smile_o.gif

what about if Commander got option to "buy" guerilla troops to sabotage e.g. supply lines ...

let say he can order them to spawn in empty cities or woods smile_o.gif

of course it costs resources and it's limited to max 3 guerila infested areas L:)

What i think would be really good is to add a civilian side that

1. can spawn at any uncaptured

point

2. can only pick up arms from ammo crates

3. can only spawn cars or trucks.

4. cant cap points tho

any body could jump into the civ side and do what they like.

I think it would add a really tense feeling to the whole thing with civilians driving around the island. YOu would have to stop any civs you saw to make sure they were freindly etc.

also as they can only pick up from ammoboxes this would stop poeple leaving boxes around, and also a secret cache could be set up that would only be known to certain people on either side.

they could lay an ammo dump/cache spawn as civ get there rpgs sniper rifles satchel charges and go do some seriuos sabotage.

anyway just an idea that would prob be easy to implement amd add a tense realistc feeling to the game.

theres probably problems with this idea but I think it could be fun.

Ive been thinking about this some more.

another thing would be to add a protection zone around the main base so no civs could enter it to simulate high security area, but leave enough so a good sniper could take pot shots or fire rpgs at the base. THis civ/militia idea could also give the fucking team killers somthing to do seeing as they want to act like terrorists :-). I also think this may be a good way of limiting the air power, imgaine you have your airbase set up but theres hordes of civiilians waiting just outside with stingers etc.

anyway as i say just an idea.

Definitely some interesting ideas, although I'm not sure they'd fit well for RTS-IV.

I have a question: Have any of you played RTS-IV in ArmA 1.06 and 1.07?

I haven't had a chance to play it with either version since I have the Euro 1.05 version. Does everything still function fine in those versions?

I too, havent had a chance to play, no servers been running it publicly sad_o.gif I have seen some passworded servers running it for quite a bit of time so im assuming theres nothing majorly wrong with it.

Once i find a server running it publicly i'll give it a try and see if anything doesnt perform as it should =)

We were running it in BDA(US 1.6) last few nites training new guys an everything seemed the same(note) the AI AA Soldiers effectively engage u now(ty BIS). Hav'nt had a chance to play it head to head yet though just for training purposes only.

I have a question: Have any of you played RTS-IV in ArmA 1.06 and 1.07?

I haven't had a chance to play it with either version since I have the Euro 1.05 version. Does everything still function fine in those versions?

We checked it out last nite...it seems to work fine w/US 1.6.

When we trained with it it seemed fine when we went head to head it crashed alot

i think Dynamic Mine Field would be great addition to RTS-4 smile_o.gif

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....4;top

same lol, maybe be able to get a 'minelayer' vehicle or something.. u'd have to limit the amount usable at one time or something.. but it could stop the enormous flow of tanks controlled by AI...

In RTS-2, I tried a minelayer, and it was a disaster.  Someone would go lay a lot of mines and not mark it, and then their own team would lose entire armor columns.

I'd prefer to keep the mine-laying as it is.  I've also thought of AP mines, but I'm concerned about mine spamming.  It'd have to be limited somehow to keep someone from making it their sole purpose to encase the entire base in mines.

I still haven't gotten word if Mando missiles are finished for MP yet, so I haven't added those to RTS-IV.

I hope to go ahead and promote Beta 2R to version 1.0 sometime soon, but I've been busy with other things so I haven't had a chance.  I hope that version 1.07 proper comes out soon as well so all of ArmA-dom can be united under one patch.

BTW, Breeze, I still don't know why you're having crashing issues with 1.06 and RTS-IV.  Are there any other 1.06 servers running RTS-IV with crashing issues?  I've seen a few 1.07 servers running RTS-IV.  How's it running under that?

I'm still running 1.05 on my server and may not attempt to run the beta patch.

Oh, and Breeze, to address an earlier question about modability of RTS-IV:  I've made it pretty much plug-n-play, so I'll write up a small text help file that people can use to modify some aspects of RTS-IV.  Keep in mind that some things are easier to change than others.

Anyway, thanks for all the input!

Ah ok, i only ever played the original RTS back in OFP... but i quickly switched to CTI (sorry! biggrin_o.gif).. never played any other versions of RTS so i dont know how the minelayer was.. though thinking about what you said, it would actually just be a nightmare to be honest lol.. and i forgot i could lay mines... Ive got a new tactic now to stop those pesky tanks rolling in on my freshly captured turf ^^

Anything new when u update to 1.0? Or will it just be a simple name change?

Hopefully the Mando Missiles will show up soon for MP and i believe that will make this map greater than Evo (thank the lord O_O)

Cheers

Well I may add more to it, but I'm just not sure what.  A lot has changed since the last "public" release version, so it'd probably warrant a change to v1.0.

I may implement a coop/SP aspect to it, but I have some AI issues to work out, primarily making them destroy enemy installations.  I think I have some ideas that will work without resorting to addons...at least I hope so anyway.

I also wanted to release a full island version.  Someone was going to mark the territories for me in a well-thought-out manner, i.e. so refineries, etc. would work well, but I never heard back from them.

Also, I get a lot of msg's that refer to Evolution...but that mission is completely different than RTS-IV so I'm not sure I see the connection.

Yeah there isnt much of a link.. it just uses the whole island like RTS...

The main addition (if it works) would be mando missiles i guess or something to make use of the naval fac... a working large ship or something.. but that would require addons which at this stage of ArmA's infancy i dont like to use much...

But something like Mando Missiles to take out those pesky AV8's would be good for balancing and a new form of warfare..

A coop aspect would be good i guess.. but the AI would have to be vastly configured i think... would be good for a smaller game to play against the AI.