Sign in to follow this  
bum71

Horrible Performance...

Heres mine and i dont have a FPS drop at that bush performance is ok 30FPS.

1280x1024

View distance 1200

Everything set on low

Advanced tab items are set to off

Video Card BFG 7800GS AGP 256MB

lol, yeah I guess that HD of yours must be seriously fast not to cause any FPS drop at those settings.

You obviously dont know what causes HD's to be under heavy load in the first place.

vsync is that if you get less than 60 fps, vsync forces the   That's the reason some people see their fps go from 60 to 30 when they look at a bush.

IT WAS VSYNC? i always wondered why my Arma runs like a champ on a mixture of normal and high settings yet others with over-the-top-cash-out-my-ass systems run like shit on low , i just realised i never have Vsync on with arma. who needs it anyway ? its not even noticiable in a game like Arma

so now my tips to you all is : turn off all those shit processes you have running in background (crtl+alt+delete) and dont turn on Vsync in arma.

Just to chip in. I'm an owner of NVidia card, and I'm not sure if ATi has a similar feature in their CP, but Transparency Antialiasing is a killer for ArmA, especially with trees and bushes, while bushes still have impact on my framerate, it's not as bad as with Transparency AA. Be sure that you don't have it accidentally turned on.

If you can get more than 60, there's seriously no need to turn it off, you won't even see the extra. In short, there can be good reasons to turn off vsync, but boosting your fps to >100 is not one of them.

Very little people run there monitor at 60hz these days, I know for me 60hz is horrible (bad flickering) compared to 85hz.

TFT ? 60hz ? NO ?

I think most people own TFT nowadays... icon_rolleyes.gif

If you can get more than 60, there's seriously no need to turn it off, you won't even see the extra. In short, there can be good reasons to turn off vsync, but boosting your fps to >100 is not one of them.

Very little people run there monitor at 60hz these days, I know for me 60hz is horrible (bad flickering) compared to 85hz.

TFT ? 60hz ? NO ?

I think most people own TFT nowadays... icon_rolleyes.gif

Well I still use a CRT whistle.gif .

A good TFT would be nice I guess, but at least I can use whatever resolution I like instead of the native one nener.gif .

Quote[/b] ]but at least I can use whatever resolution I like instead of the native one

And what makes you think you can't set a TFT to run on other resolutions.. wink_o.gif

I have run mine from 600x480 (or what ever it is) to the native 1280x1024 without any problems, no melting monitors etc..

It's just that the image quality is optimal on the native resolution, the others look a bit crappy..

But with CRT all resolutions look crappy nener.gif

Maybe ur old 20 Dollar, 2nd hand, 14" CRT, but Get an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 22" CRT, and you come and tell me the image is crappy!! smile_o.gif

Anyway, the problem indeed is that TFT's have the amount of pixels as their resolution... so 1280x1024 are really that amount of pixels... If you take lower resolution while retaining full screen, there is interpolation, and it isn't "A BIT" problematic; it's simply horrible smile_o.gif

but at least I can use whatever resolution I like instead of the native one nener.gif .

In games like this you really wish you could lower res to like 1024*768 to get somewhat reasonable framerate.

But on the other hand i prefer better quality.

wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Maybe ur old 20 Dollar, 2nd hand, 14" CRT,

Actually it was 15", and cost like a mofu about 7-8 years ago when I purchased it tounge2.gif

I think ArmA isn't handling the Dual Core (Core 2 Duo or AMD FX & X2) platform correctly, it may be simple as that.

Quote from Wikipedia

Quote[/b] ]In addition to operating system (OS) support, adjustments to existing software are required to maximize utilization of the computing resources provided by multi-core processors. Also, the ability of multi-core processors to increase application performance depends on the use of multiple threads within applications. For example, most current (2006) video games will run faster on a 3 GHz single-core processor than on a 2GHz dual-core processor (of the same core architecture), despite the dual-core theoretically having more processing power, because they are incapable of efficiently using more than one core at a time.

Almost everyone who's having issues with ArmA in this topic are running the game on a dual core platform. And most of those writing they have no problem are using single core systems.

Quote from Suma:

Quote[/b] ]My system specs are:

Primary:

Intel P4 3.6 GHz, nVidia G6800 GS 256 MB VRAM (PCIex), 2 GB RAM

Secondary:

Intel Xeon 2.8 GHz, ATI X 800 256 MB VRAM (AGP), 1 GB RAM

Both are running ArmA quite fine, smooth and playable. We tested the game on both minimal and recommended configurations and we have found the experience acceptable on both of them.

And Chris Death:

Quote[/b] ]ArmA is running smooth without performance loss at frame rates you mentioned and even above.

In worst case i'm getting 48 fps which i assume still fits to your expectations.

My System (nothing very high end btw):

Pentium D 3,4ghz

2gb RAM (no special kind of)

GeForce 7950 GT KO (512mb VRAM)

Is there a way ArmA developpers could build a patch to support these processors correclty?

Ok just did some tweaking, my fps went from 50-70fps to 100-120fps by just forcing off vertical sync in manage 3d settings in controll panel. I have c2d e6600 oc 3.2ghz and 8800gtx.  all settings on high 1200vd.  and max res.  Need screen shot just ask...   thumbs-up.gif

That's the reason some people see their fps go from 60 to 30 when they look at a bush.

I already have vsync turned off (the game is unplayable for me because of the mouse lag with vsync on)

(ive no idea why some people are still running with vsync on in this game, ok its usually better to leave it on in other games, but it has been said so many times here to turn it off if you have any kind of problems...)

@whiskey:

Seems like SATA has more bandwidth mate (this was while downloading and listening music, which need a bit access to my HD)

hahahaxv5.th.jpg

Not that it really matters, you said it yourself: You have your options turned to low, when i do that the difference in performance when near a bush is too low to notice anyway.. tounge2.gif

EDIT:

Quote[/b] ]But with CRT all resolutions look crappy

Most CRTs still have better image quality then most TFTs

(and they are affordable) tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]My System (nothing very high end btw):

Pentium D 3,4ghz

2gb RAM (no special kind of)

GeForce 7950 GT KO (512mb VRAM)

Chriss Deathyou're having a laugh are you not? crazy_o.gif Nothing high end,what are you smoking boy.I'd kill for that comp youv'e got! In my book that's high end.Now i can rest my case,on the assumption that for some starange reason guy's with high end rigs think they arn't.In England their are a couple of saying's i can relate to this kind of thinking(1) More money than sense,(2) you guy's know the price of everything,but the value of nothing  huh.gif

Well, i don't have a laugh posting that since it is not a

'high end' gaming pc.

Though it's a good pc but in no way something non-plus-ultra.

Maybe your eyes were too much concentrated on the

graphics card, which i've put in this pc afterwards and

which is maybe coming close to something like 'high end'.

If you read my entire post you should see that it wasn't

the point to say the graphics card isn't something special.

It is a very good graphics card.

Point was: the system - Pentium D 3,4ghz + 2gb ram (no

special kind of) - hard disk (no special kind of).

This pc can be compared to a Dell or something like that,

which they usually sell in supermarkets and it's for sure

not a high end gaming machine.

I tried to point out that my good performance is in no way

being caused by the hard disk - thus the harddisk can't

be the bottleneck.

btw - if you want to see an actual 'high end gaming machine'

take a look here

~S~ CD

Quote[/b] ]but at least I can use whatever resolution I like instead of the native one

And what makes you think you can't set a TFT to run on other resolutions.. wink_o.gif

I have run mine from 600x480 (or what ever it is) to the native 1280x1024 without any problems, no melting monitors etc..

It's just that the image quality is optimal on the native resolution, the others look a bit crappy..

But with CRT all resolutions look crappy nener.gif

A decent CRT will have good quality. And TFTs don't look good on non-native resolutions. I never said anything about melting monitors tounge2.gif .

TFTs don't have better picture quality that CRTs, don't compare them to the crappy CRTs.

After all of this "excellent" troubleshooting (you can find them all over the forum elsewhere) tips given here it would be nice to here of somebody that has solved his problems trough applying those tips instead of repeating the same things constantly.

After all of this "excellent" troubleshooting (you can find them all over the forum elsewhere) tips given here it would be nice to here of somebody that has solved his problems trough applying those tips instead of repeating the same things constantly.

Which tips specifically? Turning off Vsync works, and turning off transparency AA for Nvidia cards.

Quote[/b] ]Quote (MamiyaOtaru @ Jan. 04 2007,05:11)

vsync is that if you get less than 60 fps, vsync forces the That's the reason some people see their fps go from 60 to 30 when they look at a bush.

IT WAS VSYNC? i always wondered why my Arma runs like a champ on a mixture of normal and high settings yet others with over-the-top-cash-out-my-ass systems run like shit on low , i just realised i never have Vsync on with arma. who needs it anyway ? its not even noticiable in a game like Arma

so now my tips to you all is : turn off all those shit processes you have running in background (crtl+alt+delete) and dont turn on Vsync in arma.

This was posted by Icehollow and looks to me like he could

solve his problems with one of the 'excellent' tips.

Now i still don't get it why sarcasm is all you can spread out

but i'm sure it won't lead to you becomming a forum veteran.

OK, i believe you're not achieving to become one anyways,

but if so then please let others discuss here and keep your

sarcasm elsewhere (maybe that seat with the hole in that

small room in your house/apartment/whatever). wink_o.gif

~S~ CD

@ChrisDeath:

I am not interested in any forum status, it is useless anyway.

Why are you posting arguments against the sarcasm they are useless.

Just follow the motto from your sig.

I only wanted to see if more people got their problems solved then one that seemed to me had solved his problem before reading posts in the forum.

Quote[/b] ]it would be nice to here of somebody that has solved his problems trough applying those tips

Well if you read through your question again, it should be

clear that: somebody = one person

and: his problems = the problems of one person

Icehollow is 'somebody' who solved 'his problem' by using

one of the 'excellent' tips being mentioned in this thread

and others around here at the forums.

It doesn't matter if he did read this thread before or not,

he clearly stated that a tip from here solved his problems.

Now i could search through each post and thread to find

you more of them but err wait - why i would have to?

However this is going off-topic since the title of the thread

is: 'horrible performance ... on a good computer too'

and not: 'tuning tips to increase ArmA performance'

~S~ CD

@ChrisDeath:

Just to prevent new "flame war" I make "peace agreement" with you and say: "Yeah you are completely right, juts carry on!"

Rock On! yay.gif

Point was: the system - Pentium D 3,4ghz + 2gb ram (no

special kind of) - hard disk (no special kind of).

This pc can be compared to a Dell or something like that,

which they usually sell in supermarkets and it's for sure

not a high end gaming machine.

I think you better check whats being sold by Dell or at the supermarket lately. You won't get anything near that without dropping alot of money.

Typical Dell System (upper end of mid-range): Pentium D 3ghz w1gb RAM and onboard graphics. If you're lucky... you might get a 7300LE.

Seriously, you cannot get what you have without going the extra mile and upgrading yourself or buying a pre-built "high-end" system from a crap shop like Alienware or Dell.

BUT... the reason why I came here. I seem to have fixed my mouse lag and graphical issues. I can sustain now about 12-20fps without too much mouse lag (Everything High and Low AA). I can get more fps by lowering some settings. However, what I cannot tell you is what I did. I was going to see if I could tweak any BIOS settings in the config mode of my Intel board to perhaps gain some CPU perf (mobo is not O/C friendly mind you) and the result is that if you go into config mode for the BIOS (jumper switch) you reset alot of the BIOS settings to default. I only know this because my onboard sound showed up again when I rebooted. I did not find any good options (like core voltage etc) that I could tweak so I really didn't do anything special other than reset my BIOS. Now, it seems playable...

It probably was something I had missed long ago setting this PC up or one of those "you couldn't possibly have known that changing setting X to setting Y would actually make things terribly worse on mobo version ABC"

In any case, it wasn't HD. There are no HD settings that have changed and it's possible that reverting my default video option from "PCIe" to "Auto" is the reason or perhaps changing the Legacy USB back to Enabled icon_rolleyes.gif but in truth I will never know.

So I leave all you to your bickering... gonna play me some ArmA demo! biggrin_o.gif

Disclaimer: Note my FPS did not increase. My biggest problem was the delay of movement of the mouse and some stuttering. All was attributed mostly to my AA setting (Needed it Off to play at all). I can raise my settings to high and FPS still drop quite abit, but now AA does not affect me as much as it did before and even at low FPS it is playable.

Most CRTs still have better image quality then most TFTs

(and they are affordable) tounge2.gif

You really can't believe in your own words.

Maybe if you are half blind. rofl.gif

ok. enough offtopic...

This is not about monitor quality. Stick to the topic or I will start dealing out PRs and WLs.

Turning off vsync and transparent aa is a good a idea for ppl that didn't know about all that, but not the solution of the main problem.

MfG Lee