Sign in to follow this  
nigelbland

Demo today....WOOT

ROFLMAO yay.gif  firefoxlover.gif

You shouldn't have said that because now he'll probably want the game censored. If you want a game that is censored, feel free to download America's Army. They offer censorship. Other than that you're ******.

Fact remains, there is whole loads of unnececairy bitchin, whining, flaming, trolling, searching for bugs/trouble instead of just enjoying, etc. etc. Children/parents or no Children/Parents smile_o.gif

It's especially noticable that there's little wars going on between some individuals or groups of individuals, must be the time of the year : )

It's not that bad, but in general there would be a whole lot less off-topic, flaming etc. if ppl would cut eachother some slack, and not every single post has to start and end with exclamination marks, capitals, and a whole bunch of foul language or flaming.. Not that I care much about foul language, but it's all a bit tense : )

Besides, due to "everyone" being so busy with fighting their personal flame war, there is little to nothing contribution nor progression, or at least it could go faster with a lil  inlove.gif  here and there : )

Altough there has been great discussions, progressions and results aswell of coarse : )

Would be nice if the mods cracked down on all the bitching, flaming, swearing and whatnot, rather than enforcing the 100kb rule with an iron fist and warning levels. But thats for another topic wink_o.gif

Would be nice if the mods cracked down on all the bitching, flaming, swearing and whatnot, rather than enforcing the 100kb rule with an iron fist and warning levels. But thats for another topic wink_o.gif

Right on! Guess it shows what one man can be for a community... Placebo  help.gif  smile_o.gif

Let's just throw it on the xmas_o.gif x-mas xmas_o.gif madness!

I was using the keyboard and mouse to fly.  I don't know if you were reading my previous posts or not so let me state again that its not the flying that bugs me.  That video was made to show to all the people that say "ARMA chopper handling is realistic" that it isn't the case.  

For the people that keep insisting that its super easy to dogfight or even shoot from air to ground using a chopper, pelase make a video.  

The cobra video just proves my point of how terrible the choppers handle.  Basically you autohover above the convoy and have your gunner shoot the convoy with  guided missiles and the chaingun.  Is that supposte to be a simulation or what.  

Can you complete that mission with the ffar only?  I doubt so.  Or can you even complete it without being a floating target?  

Quote[/b] ]Flying the AH-6 with tweaked settings and a quality HOTAS me personally can do much more than that, and thats after only an hour test flying in ArmA (however I do have 250+ hours logged in LB2)!

Well show me what you can do.  Why don't you open the editor, place a few tanks on the ground, an enemy chopper in the sky, and try to take it on without the gunner.  

Try another test.  Place 2 camel planes on the same map, one being the player and one being the AI.  Give the AI the waypoint to fly in a straight line, and try to "dogfight it"  See if you succeed untill your ammo runs out and get back to me with a video of what a great pilot you are.   icon_rolleyes.gif

I doubt you guys ever saw any real videos of choppers in "action"      

The way the guy in the cobra mission flew, simulates stupidity, no offence.

EDIT: Done. http://www.filefactory.com/file/d6876d/

Uploading video now. Its 230MB though, so it'll be about an hour. I'll edit this post when its done.

While it is rather difficult to aim, its not impossible and its far better than it being too easy. And the flight model is NOT realistic, but it can do its job just fine if you fly it realistically. I'd love to see a simulation quality flight model, avionics and weapons systems modeled.. But its not gonna happen. At least BIS is going in the right direction in an attempt for more realism. What they've come up with isnt perfect, but it works, is usable, and is far better than our other options (BF2, Joint Ops, etc)

Looking forward to the video. Did you try compressing it? Or is it super long?

Looking forward to the video.  Did you try compressing it?  Or is it super long?

Its 10 minutes long, 640x480 AVI DivX encoded at 3072Kbps bit rate. No sound.

Its just a sample of some more realistic flying. I was having some problems at a few points as I was only getting 15-20 fps while recording, but it goes to show the current flight model is quite usable and can provide a fairly realistic experience with the right kind of pilot at the controls.

Nice.

What else?

Need more than dual 7900 gtx etc... for have a decent framerate?

Try low, no.

I return to trackmania united and my wii.

Try a lesson at Nadeo  biggrin_o.gif

have to work.

Good gameplay. intuitive.

Nice M2 rofl.gif

Nice.

What else?

Try low, no.

have to work.

Nice M2  rofl.gif

..woah. wow_o.gif

Nice.

What else?

Try low, no.

have to work.

Nice M2  rofl.gif

..woah.  wow_o.gif

i have to say, this is quite neat icon_rolleyes.gif

Hi all.

I've passed some hours playing MP with the demo and I'm pleased to see how BIS optimized the engine. They did a good job and with my current system (P4 3ghz - 1gb RAM - ATI Radeon 9600 126MB) a can play the demo with the following settings:

armasettingsti0.jpg

wow_o.gif

I had some fun last night and even if I can't say too much about the game (i need to test it more) I enjoyed it very much: the new movement sytem is good (yes you need some time to feel confortable with it but then it's ok) and the new weapons recoil is a bit "strange" expecially for the AK, but I buried some bad guys neverthless! biggrin_o.gif

The most important things I want to say is that i will buy ArmA when it will be out in Italy and that I'm going to forget OFP!

Happy Klavan yay.gifyay.gif

Unfortunate how all this anger is directed at each other instead of where the real blame lies....just mho.

goodnight.gif

Hi all.

I've passed some hours playing MP with the demo and I'm pleased to see how BIS optimized the engine. They did a good job and with my current system (P4 3ghz - 1gb RAM - ATI Radeon 9600 126MB) a can play the demo with the following settings:

[mg]http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/3387/armasettingsti0.jpg[/img]

wow_o.gif

I had some fun last night and even if I can't say too much about the game (i need to test it more) I enjoyed it very much: the new movement sytem is good (yes you need some time to feel confortable with it but then it's ok) and the new weapons recoil is a bit "strange" expecially for the AK, but I buried some bad guys neverthless! biggrin_o.gif

The most important things I want to say is that i will buy ArmA when it will be out in Italy and that I'm going to forget OFP!

Happy Klavan yay.gifyay.gif

Wish i could say the same, i have less 600 mhz of CPU but 1.5 gig of ram and a 6600GT graphics card and the demo runs terrible wathever the settings sad_o.gif .

Could it be sm 3.0?

Anyway it runs stable (no crashes) and loads pretty fast, once i get a new setup i think i will love it smile_o.gif .

I'm on the edge right now... Should i buy ArmA or not. I feel that biggest "improvement" is that eye focus simulation (few hours practice made it feel okay and eyes stopped to wet) and AI is more smarter now. Is that enough? Not to me.

I do feel that grass reduces AI's ability to spot target. If i order friendly to go prone it seems not to spot and shoot as good as kneeling guy. Am i only one who thinks that grass has effect to AI? But then again enemy AI shoots me thru grass. Expacely when player/AI is in top of the hill and opponent is in slope of the hill (fightingpositions (top or behind hill) on hill are almost useless). So i'm bit confused right now.

AI is too accurate before and combined that to it's ability see thru leafs and grass gives it serious advantage. Gunner of HMMWW is too easy target at 300-400 meters in hull-down positions (only gunner and gun is exposed). Even novice is too good shooter. Suggestion/opinion: I think that in novice-level those guys are in middle of their training and inexperienced in combat. Normal is that they completed their training and expert that they have extensive combat experince.

Big minus comes from lack of suppression effect aka fear-simulation: Two HMMWWs sweeping across field with .50 cal fire + sniper/SAW fire incoming... I'd call that a fruitful platform for panic.

Smarter AI + neat eye focus simulation - leafs and grass(?) - no suppression = better than OFP, but not with essential parts. I'm seeing combat-techincal shooter in ArmA.

Well show me what you can do.  Why don't you open the editor, place a few tanks on the ground, an enemy chopper in the sky, and try to take it on without the gunner.  

If you have the full game my offer still stands and I will be happy to do some A-G target practice with you in a AH-6. I'm not going to bother fiddling with video tools (that I don't have) just to try to convince one guy he is (partly) wrong.

Quote[/b] ]Try another test.  Place 2 camel planes on the same map, one being the player and one being the AI.

The planes sucked in OFP and as I said I haven't tried them yet in ArmA. Even if it would be great I don't expect them to perform like in IL-2/LOMAC but hopefully they will perform better than in OFP if not I hope they are improved someday down the road...

Quote[/b] ]I doubt you guys ever saw any real videos of choppers in "action" .

Scrap videos! Hard data/facts, knowledge, experience, input and testimonies from real pilots/crew are what counts for most sim developers as far as I know.

Small advice! Get yourself a good joystick/HOTAS and tweak joysettings (if needed) then stop flying in 3rd perspective view and start practice with the helicopters instead of moaning in every thread you find open. That or just sell/refund ArmA and get on with your life...

Merry Christmas xmas_o.gif

/KC

lol has anyone actually completed the Co-op multiplayer mission? lol

lol has anyone actually completed the Co-op multiplayer mission? lol

Some clan(ish) mates and I just pwnt a bunch of OPFOR sunsabitches about an hour ago! HOOAH!

*other stereotypical american cheering/ranting*

- dRb

well the coop map usually ends up resulting in me alone clean sweeping the town :\

While the other people:

"zomg LAGGGGGz"

"i have everythin on l0w but 1t still has 0nly 4 fps!!11"

"i pr3fer b4ttl3field 2142!1"

Cant say i blame them... lol

The demo wont even start for me, i get windows fault message, it say something is wrong with nvopenal.dll

My system xp2500 1gb ram 9800pro

Latest graphicdriver dx 9.0c

isnt open-al some kind of sound-driver huh.gif

i'. able to play with 1280x1024 with shading on high , shadows on low , blood on low and aa on normal ... the rest is all on high + not to forget viewdistance on 1200 .... depends on the server , but im usually playing with very fluent framerates .. didnt check with fraps , though

my sys : amd athlon64 3000+

sapphire x1900xt 512mb

1gig (2x512mb) dualchannel ram

After reading most of the posts in this thread, I seriously believe we must be talking about two different demos biggrin_o.gif

I downloaded it yesterday myself.

My first shock was seeing how it ran very very smooth on my comp (AMD64 2Ghz, 1 Gb of RAM and an old AGP Radeon 9600 Pro) at low detail (not "very low") and at 1024x768x32.

I haven't experienced any crashes, load times are incredibly short, vehicles handle better than in OFP, and apart from the AI being olympic shots I haven't had a problem with it. In fact, I love it with a passion and I will buy it as soon as it comes out. Not only that, I'm getting an Intel Core 2 Duo and a GeForce 7600 GS (PCI Express) to get more detail out of it without FPS issues.

I like the aiming system, the movement system and basically everything in the game. My only concerns with the demo are more difficulty / balance related than performance or coding related:

<ul>[*]The PK machine gun lacks recoil almost completely. It's *much* more effective at close quarters than any AR because it has faster ROF, higher accuracy, less recoil and more ammo per clip. This is, to say the least, odd. I find it strange to be able to shoot a machinegun in full auto from the hip and mow down AI guys with AK74s who simply don't have time to reply or aim.

[*]The way aiming is now, with the reticle disabled, it takes ages to line up a shot. I find this realistic, but the AI doesn't face the same challenge and can hit your forehead before you can even bring up the gun to your eyes.

[*]The M2HB on the Hummer is used by the AI as a .50 cal sniper rifle. I mounted one of my guys there for support in the coop mission and he was firing *literally* one shot per kill.

[*]The AI clearly sees through grass, leaves and all light obstructions.

[*]Grenades are impractical. Impossible to aim, and take too long to toss. You can't throw a grenade out of a window or a door, because you have to step outside, stand in front of the enemy for 6 seconds while they pepper you and end up lobbing it into the next village.

[*]Binoculars render you completely immobile not only during use, but also during the looong time it takes to produce them or put them away. It makes you a sitting duck, just like grenades.

Those are my only concerns. I'm sure it could be modded, but I think it's reasonably major stuff and would deserve at least consideration by BIS. In short, most actions (changing gear, using binoculars, aiming, throwing a grenade) take way too long and render you completely immobile while you perform them, which means death in most cases, specially because of the marksmen the AI sports icon_rolleyes.gif

Right on! Guess it shows what one man can be for a community... Placebo  help.gif  smile_o.gif

Let's just throw it on the xmas_o.gif x-mas xmas_o.gif madness!

Yep, I think these forums are going to go downhill, very fast, now that Placebo is going... banghead.gifwink_o.gif

" do feel that grass reduces AI's ability to spot target. If i order friendly to go prone it seems not to spot and shoot as good as kneeling guy"

Ya lost me here on this.

It reduces YOUR A.I. buddies ability to spot targets. But NOT the enemy A.I.s. lol No offence intended. But don`t worry bout your friendly A.I.s abilities, worry about the x ray enemy A.I.s.

The enemy reaction time seems alot faster so far than my ability to spot, and return fire. Altho, I am liking the demo immensely. Some obvious fine tuning is still in order here and there.

I played the demo more now and I'm feeling comfortable with ArmA minute by minute. The movements are OK and weapons recoil/accuracy seems good after all (just take some time to train a bit with 'em), maybe not perfect, but not crap.

Driving vehicles doesn't seems so much different from OFP, at least for wheeled ones. Unlucky I'm actually forced to play CTF only, since loading time for CTI are very longer at least for me: I just get sick after 2 minutes of waiting, too much for me. I wonder why. huh.gif

With the settings I posted above (I've changed 'em a bit in the meanwhile to gain a more nice overall graphic) I've got a good fluent gaming experience although I've got some probs with objects and vehicles LOD, but I'm pretty sure It's caused by my old crappy PC.

I'm enjoing it! yay.gif

Klavan