Sign in to follow this  
NeMeSiS

ArmA reviews

Quote[/b] ]E3 05 - novemer 06  dosent = 48 months.

They have been working on Arma since 2002.

Wrong.

ArmA was started shortly before it was announced at E3 05.

How come I remember the first promised release eta being Q4 2005? Seems a bit early for something that was started the same year. wink_o.gif

Because the original planned release version was going to be a bunch of VBS stuff thrown together and prettied up a bit combined with a new island and campaign but retaining almost all of the old gameplay and engine that was to be found in Flashpoint and VBS1.

But was'nt that what you did anyway?

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>(j/k tounge2.gif)</span>

Because the original planned release version was going to be a bunch of VBS stuff thrown together and prettied up a bit combined with a new island and campaign but retaining almost all of the old gameplay and engine that was to be found in Flashpoint and VBS1.

Hmm... except few weapon's and Littlebirds (and even they are changed), i can't find anything from VBS in ArmA... can you be more specific?

Hmm... except few weapon's and Littlebirds (and even they are changed), i can't find anything from VBS in ArmA... can you be more specific?

Ignore him he's trying to be funny, he just didn't achieve his goal wink_o.gif

*Best Igor Voice*

I'll warm up THE RACK, Master. haaheeehaa.

If reviewers will be professional, meaning to try and understand the aspect of the game they are reviewing, and look at it from that point of view, that will give the most unbiased response.

If someone looks at ArmA thinking it is supposed to be like HL2, of course they will be disappointed. If they don't have the time to get into the backstory of the game and it's ambitions, they shouldn't do a review on it. Same for if they don't have the proper hardware, or if they just can't put it out of their mind that (insert any gametype here) is their favorite type of game, and all others suck. Be real, if you can't be balanced about it, don't DO it.

they should do 2 reviews one with a minimum recommended spec pc and one with a recommended pc.

personally i prefer user reviews ,because they have played ofp and know what people expect.

here is a review from an end user whos not using a sh1t pc.

Quote[/b] ]my impressions:

i'm using a c2d 6400@3.4ghz, 2gb ram, geforce 7900gs@600/800 machine, and the game runs slow and unbalanced at 1280, post proc low, aa and aniso disabled, obj txt normal, any other very high. i have an average around 35fps normaly, but it can drop to 15fps in a second, specialy when aiming.

the ai is much cleverer then in ofp, but every single soldier is a master sharphooter, from 300meters it's not a problem for them to shoot you with just one try with an ak or machinegun.

the ai is still driving in ofp style, so y turns, heavy breakings and weird corrections are included.

i think the real performance killer is the hdr effect wich was nice in far cry, but here it's simly disturbing, and looks very cheap. human eyes don't work this way, it's slow and and has let's say five steps. you run on a street on a sunny day, and the lights are changing every second. it's simply disturbing and as i said, not very well implemented.

every building colapses like the world trade center, after a few shots it comes down in 90 degree to the ground, leaving some bricks. before that there is no visual sign of a hit.

on a marketplace i could not drive through some tents with a m1a1.

loosing all your teammembers can happen in a second, they just walk in a city and die.

you still can't change mags when moving or using your bino.

i think thats enough problems for now, i'm sure that many thing i mentioned can be solved, but the bis are correct, this is ofp 1.5, or rather ofp1.5beta, not a new game. it's good to see the improvement, but i'm a little disapointed from the bugs and problems that were there in the old ofp and in stead solving them in the devepment we face them again.

its not bad a bad review for a game that went from an idea to birth in 18 months.

This review really bothers me.....

Should I have waited for 3-4 months before ordering, so that Armed Assault v1.1 was released?

Will there be patches, will there be the same support that was there for OFP?

What made you decide to do the job on the game you did till now with Arma?

I mean this is a lot more than just throwing stuff together.

Something must have gone very well to make it a very well job, right.........:)

Can you answer that? whistle.gif

There is some minor artwork, but even that was changed and improved imo... there are also new versions of some old OPF/R buildings wich makes me happy because they really look perfect now. I think they took the OPF:E engine and started from there, if we look at the earlier footage they really accomplished alot in a relatively small dev period, then we have all the little things that we cant find on pics and trailers wink_o.gif .

Now if there only was a hind whistle.gif ...

I'll chime in about ARMA/OFP update thing from E3 2005.

BIS came up with OFP update named "OFP:Reloaded" or something like that. It was supposed to be what placebo already mentioned - simple upgrade. That was the plan as of May 2005(E3), and was supposed to be out Q4 2005.

However, BIS decided to add some things from game 2 into ARMA. This is what we love about BIS. They never cease to add more into their products. Of course this would cause problem since it delays release.

It is my understanding that their is richochet in ARMA. That was in Game 2 in 2005. In fact, the soldier model that I saw from E3 2005 is what I see in ARMA. So despite short time frame, BIS managed to cram a lot of things in this "OFP upgrade"

With this, I'd like to ask to get back to the original topic.

Ignore him he's trying to be funny, he just didn't achieve his goal wink_o.gif

ROFL!!!!

Judging from previous experience with BIS I think it's safe to say yes wink_o.gif

/KC

Why be worried, just download the patches as they come out confused_o.gif

oh and stuff the reviewers we know its a good game really.

Judging from previous experience with BIS I think it's safe to say yes wink_o.gif

/KC

Let's just hope they can efficiently use those 3 months they have before arma hits the big magazines.

How long did it take bis to release their first free additional units by the way?

Let's just hope they can efficiently use those 3 months they have before arma hits the big magazines.

How long did it take bis to release their first free additional units by the way?

I guess those people who get ArmA right in November should work 24-7 to get out some mods within the first three months. And then they shall do their reviews smile_o.gif

I guess those people who get ArmA right in November should work 24-7 to get out some mods within the first three months. And then they shall do their reviews  smile_o.gif

I am not a modder (just a lowly mission maker) so I cannot know for sure, but I thought the modding tools will be out after the 505 release and not before?

Don't know if it was mentioned here, but one of two major czech gaming magazines LEVEL, gave ArmA 07/10, wich is by the way, the same score, wich they gave to BF2142...

who gives a hoot about some magazine editors ANYWAY? its more like asking question of "how it feels like flying an aircraft" to a casual car driver. He will be probably whining about that "it cannot be parked easily" so he (dumbass driver) would give 50 pts out of 100...

I wonder what the pilots are talking about this new stuff

Why be worried, just download the patches as they come out  confused_o.gif  

oh and stuff the reviewers we know its a good game really.

Incessant patches plus anti-piracy = no LAN gaming.

I hope they contine with their excellent system of Beta patches as before.

Currently, I'm still worried.

I've never really liked reviewers. I prefer the opinions of people I know so that I can see where they are coming from. Instead of one from a person who I don't know and have no idea of their skill, their experience on the game's subject, and where their bias lies.

Wow i see some good ratings what happened.

84% in the first and 88% in gaming Xp.

Going up yay.gif .

After 2 more patches im sure the game will reach 90% smile_o.gif .

Updated the first post with those reviews, seems like the overall scores are quite good smile_o.gif

the reason for the bad reviews seems to steem from the fact that BIS made armed assault too powerful to FULLY enjoy on certain people's machines.

i honestly think that they put a bit too much on the graphical side and not enough on the little things (like tactical reloads, shooting from vehicles, more air and land units). the one thing they put most of the energy into is the one thing that never mattered to it's fans.

this game is harder on my machine than GRAW, DOOM 3, and FEAR (all of which i ran rather smoothly), and armed assault did not have to be graphically beautiful. armed assault's strenght lies with the player having control of large size forces in massive areas. if you make large cities on one big ass map, most players are going to have problems running the type of missions that they are accustomed to in OFP or vbs1.

the graphics needed an upgrade, but i think it went a bit too far and my fear is that many in the community will not stay with it. hopefully, there will be an island editor and some of you guys could make some small maps that have built up urban areas for urban warfare that won't kill our machines.

i will say that the open areas are great and the combat is awesome, just wish the cities could be more understanding. confused_o.gif

the reason for the bad reviews seems to steem from the fact that BIS made armed assault too powerful to FULLY enjoy on certain people's machines.

i honestly think that they put a bit too much on the graphical side and not enough on the little things (like tactical reloads, shooting from vehicles, more air and land units). the one thing they put most of the energy into is the one thing that never mattered to it's fans.

this game is harder on my machine than GRAW, DOOM 3, and FEAR (all of which i ran rather smoothly), and armed assault did not have to be graphically beautiful. armed assault's strenght lies with the player having control of large size forces in massive areas. if you make large cities on one big ass map, most players are going to have problems running the type of missions that they are accustomed to in OFP or vbs1.

the graphics needed an upgrade, but i think it went a bit too far and my fear is that many in the community will not stay with it. hopefully, there will be an island editor and some of you guys could make some small maps that have built up urban areas for urban warfare that won't kill our machines.

i will say that the open areas are great and the combat is awesome, just wish the cities could be more understanding. confused_o.gif

I agree that the high system requirements might turn some people off due to HW upgrade costs but we have to think about Arma has a relatively future proof and expandable "game", just like Flashpoint is wink_o.gif .

Next year many things will change, current HW prices will drop, DX10 will come out, etc. The graphics have to impress potential customers and be future proof. Arma is the type of game that will hook people for much longer than the average play&throw away game, BIS is well aware of that.

Those who claim they dont care about graphics are liars, honest people will say: "i dont care about the graphics because i cant afford a high end PC atm, if i could..."

Graphics are damn important, this is apparent even in user made addons, everyone wants better models, better textures and better effects because... well, they look better.

If Arma looked the same has OPFR or VBS we would have alot more people here complaining, you can bet on that smile_o.gif .