Sign in to follow this  
martinovic

Breath Holding?

I don't have military exp. on the matter but I am a avid bench shooter.

You would think that having the stock's fore and butt ends on sand bags would eliminate the need for shooter intervention, but it's quite the opposite. It's granted that combat situations don't necesarily require <1/3" MOA @ 100 yrds, but shooting at someone's face at 400 yards would require just as much precision.

When I use sand bags and I have my scope at 16X, I can see the hairs move when my heart beats. Breathing does indeed make a difference and IMO sniping in OFP was too easy.

this made me wonder ....

if BIS added breath holding ...

will be there supported position on edges (wall edge, sandbags edge, window edge etc) ... same way like done in Red Orchestra Ostfront 41-45

i somehow find it same important ...

and nearly as important to have fully working bidpod (deployed , not deployed) ...

keep these features coming BIS  notworthy.gif

must admit i thought the same and when i saw this pic and placement of gun ,i thought hmm, if that gun is resting on that sand bag, does it mean we can shoot the gun out of hand :0.

lol well lets start with is it touching bag smile_o.gif.?

ok lets hope its not just hope smile_o.gif

anyway about qualite weapon resting and weapon interacting (object obstruction etc) ...

i think best will be mention UT Infiltration mod as masterpiece wink_o.gif

to understood what i mean You can view it at this excelent article http://dslyecxi.com/botg_infiltration.html

this article (and older ones also) are dicussed in offtopic

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=53321

Sprinting so hard that you're breathing heavily is not conducive to precision shooting, on the other hand.

Have you ever watched professional biathletes? The top biathletes are absolutely amazing with the precision shooting while exhausted.

That is completely and totally beyond the point. What professional biathletes do has no relevance to ArmA. In the context of this, what I said holds true.

Not realistic?

Who the hell would dash up a hill and hold their breath to aim their weapon better?

That would be one dumb human being. If you wouldnt do it in real life, don't do it in the game.

Pretty realistic to me.

pic-524.jpg

Here she is.. Graphics wise she looks great but its too far from the eye imo, like.. it feels more like looking at the sight than thru the sight confused_o.gif .

You can see the whole carrying handle and the bolts on the left and you almost see the stock, it gives me the impression that you have your right arm streched, is this hard to understand?

I know this works in CS and the CQB alikes but how will it do in Arma from both a realistic and gameplay point of view?

P.S. This is a discussion thread and i care about knowing others opinions and experiences, lets keep things going without having a moderator locking the topic shall we?

Sprinting so hard that you're breathing heavily is not conducive to precision shooting, on the other hand.

Have you ever watched professional biathletes? The top biathletes are absolutely amazing with the precision shooting while exhausted.

That is completely and totally beyond the point. What professional biathletes do has no relevance to ArmA. In the context of this, what I said holds true.

I realize that. I was just bringing up top biathletes because they are, indeed, amazing to watch in this regard.

Holding your breath is already in OPFR. When you're injured your sights will jump all over the screen but you can stabilise by pressing the left ALT key (you cant move the mouse around though).

Its stupid to hold your breath if you fill your lungs though, hold your breath while standing up and your aim shouldnt be that good with a heavy rifle, breathing slowly and shooting when you exhale (spl?) should work out better.

This feature doesnt bother me, what i really dont like are the new 3D iron sights/weapon view.

Aparently we will spend more time looking at the rifles than keeping an eye on who is out there, sight are too big, clunky and not so realistic...

what no way??! ae you sure it was featured in ofp R? Got to try that next time i get wounded in the arms biggrin_o.gif

sometimes i am amazed of the small things that lie secret and hidden in ofp biggrin_o.gif

I hope it work the same as in cod 2, very easy to use. although when being caught in a duel situation many times the sniper that holds his breath is slowed down by holding his breath and gets killed tounge2.gif

anyways looking forward to armed assault and exploring the new island and all the game has to offer and more. good night all! goodnight.gif

Thw weapon view is too far away.

No one is going to hold their breath long enogh too pass out, unless they're a moron. At real sniping distances, a liitle movement at the gun end translates to alot of movement at the target end. Breathing can throw off your aim.

--Ben

its physiccly impossible to hold your own breath till you pass out, unless your drowning. Just before you pass out you loose control of your body and would automaticly take in air, stopping you passing out. Thats also how you drown (fill your lungs with water).

I think it's great that they are including 3d sights. They just need to be closer to the screen (like others are saying) and need to be blured like in the screenshot meyamoti just posted.

I think it's great that they are including 3d sights. They just need to be closer to the screen (like others are saying) and need to be blured like in the screenshot meyamoti just posted.

blurring the sights will be an attack on the system recources.

making the sights closer might make it partially invisible, like you have with OFP guns with scropes and optionally animation packs nowadays wink_o.gif

they're ironsights and they're 3D. the majority of you got what you wanted! personally, I like it. Also note that the sights are a WIP (the misaligned M134 sights prove that) wink_o.gif

I like that weapon/sight view and it will work great for mout and CQB but when out there in the open field it would be better if we could pull the sights closer to the head.

I hope we will have the option to adjust the aim mode to the combat situation we find ourselves in. This would be perfect:

Tap V fast for the sight in the picture (away from face) and press and hold V a bit longer to pull the sights closer to the eye.

That would be in my umble opinion a big step closer to next generation... gameplay thumbs-up.gif .

To be honest I think what they had before looked more realistic.

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/9872/land051a030qe6.jpg I had more images demonstrating better lighting on it but I can't find em..anyway apparently people wanted '3D' ironsights so they got what they wanted,so this is their fault,not BIS's.

I agree, that is how the sights should look. Infact that is exactly how they look, I don't know who came up with that other bull. Thats a step back IMO. FIX IT BIS.

I like that weapon/sight view and it will work great for mout and CQB but when out there in the open field it would be better if we could pull the sights closer to the head.

I hope we will have the option to adjust the aim mode to the combat situation we find ourselves in. This would be perfect:

Tap V fast for the sight in the picture (away from face) and press and hold V a bit longer to pull the sights closer to the eye.

That would be in my umble opinion a big step closer to next generation... gameplay thumbs-up.gif .

Or even better.. Press V and then adjust the distance with the mouse wheel.

To be honest I think what they had before looked more realistic.

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/9872/land051a030qe6.jpg I had more images demonstrating better lighting on it but I can't find em..anyway apparently people wanted '3D' ironsights so they got what they wanted,so this is their fault,not BIS's.

I agree, that is how the sights should look. Infact that is exactly how they look, I don't know who came up with that other bull. Thats a step back IMO. FIX IT BIS.

It's not a step back. The benefits to having a 3d ironsight system should be obvious. Whether you like how the overall effect looks is a distant second to the kind of functionality that a 3d sighting system brings.

I would be utterly horrified if ArmA ended up having 2D sights. Those of you advocating them simply do not understand the kind of features that are completely impossible to implement with a 2D sight setup.

3D sights are there, they won't go away. wink_o.gif

But you can notice, addonmakers can make both 2D and 3D sights, since the aim is obviously always centered in the middle of the screen.

Also, Llauma has a good point with V+Mouse wheel, tho I doubt BIS are planning to implement it.

so funny to read all ex, or current military people telling them how they got taught to hold their breathe and then some people comes say its silly, and they havent heard about something like that until they played Call of duty 2 smile_o.gif

in swedish army i got taught SARA, a girls name, but it stand for.

Stallning == position

Andning == breathing, meaning, take a breath, hold it

Rikting == aiming, should you aim on, below, above your target

Avfyrning == take the shot.

And this i was teached on a 100 meter target with iron sight, normal 5.56 rifle. Not like sniper, marksmanship stuff.

Holding your breath is realistic and good thing and together with the "breathing" from old ofp i think it can rock.

the kind of features that are completely impossible to implement with a 2D sight setup.

Features that are unrealistic. IMO

Every one that has fired with a assault rifle or any weapon with iron sights will know what i mean.

When sights are adjusted (maybe 1 time in a year) you don't need to touch them. You just look down your sights and find target, BANG. Hit.

So if you implement some silly buttons that you have to every time you shoot adjust it's just WRONG.

But i don't think BIS would even consider that. So nothing to worry about.

so funny to read all ex, or current military people telling them how they got taught to hold their breathe and then some people comes say its silly, and they havent heard about something like that until they played Call of duty 2 smile_o.gif

Just what i thought too. rofl.gif

the kind of features that are completely impossible to implement with a 2D sight setup.

Every one that has fired with a assault rifle or any weapon with iron sights will know what i mean.

When sights are adjusted (maybe 1 time in a year) you don't need to touch them. You just look down your sights and find target, BANG. Hit.

So if you implement some silly buttons that you have to every time you shoot adjust it's just WRONG.

In some situations it would be realistic. According to ex-SAS members who fought in the first Gulf War, you have to adjust the sight on the weapon depending on the person. While one person may hit a target 200 m away, if another one gets the same weapon, he may miss the same target completely. So it would be a nice in case you have to pick up a weapon or something...

In some situations it would be realistic. According to ex-SAS members who fought in the first Gulf War, you have to adjust the sight on the weapon depending on the person. While one person may hit a target 200 m away, if another one gets the same weapon, he may miss the same target completely. So it would be a nice in case you have to pick up a weapon or something...

Yeah, i agree completely if that's the case. Different persons can't use the same ironsight "config".

However i don't want to adjust sights in a GAME every time i capture enemy's AK, it would ruin the fun gameplay factor BIS is propably trying to achieve aswell to lure those "mainstream" gamers to wonderful world of ArmA.

Holding your breath is in OFP:E.

Very good stuff, it was one of the things i watched for in ArmA movies along with dirty binoculars and stuff.

Without such things it is so 'clean'. Oh plz, not the wireframe world again, give me a living/dirty/vibrating/shaking world anytime.

Go, BIS, go:)

Edit: in the vids in my sigs there are multiple times i 'hold my breath' to have a more accurate shot. Especially when you are a wounded sniper you need this. I found the effect and the concentration needed very ok.

Awww, what are you all so worried about...

Just get into a car, even if it doesnt have fuel. Then get out again. Voilŕ - you've caught your breath in two seconds.

Edit: Worked in OFP at least... rofl.gif