Sign in to follow this  
martinovic

Breath Holding?

I was worried it wasn't in. And the feel of 'holding your breath' thing with the analogue trigger of the controller (just pull it a little bit) can't be beaten by keyboard ... hehehe;)

In my training, I've learned that you pull the trigger between the inhale and exhale portions of your breath. You can pause or delay for an extra second or two during that time, but you don't really "hold" your breath. Holding your breath for any period beyond a couple seconds would probably add a some subtle trembling, thus degrading your shooting.

This is exactly how it works. You hold you breath and for a short while your aim is somewhat steadier. If you are holding it long, the effect degrades and after a few seconds it is shaking even more than before.

"Holding breath" is here to simulate the preparation done right before the shot at distant target (holding breath, partially pulling the trigger, "locking" your muscles).

This thread goes to show that some people believe in what they see in some games is actually how it is in real life lol.

Anyway thanks for clearing that up Suma, thats how I learnt to shoot, specially for medium to long ranges where you want to be very accurate every shot. I've once had a 5 round group make 1 hole at a shooting range 50m only but hard to do because every round fired usualy fires slightly in another direction even with custom loaded rounds that are better then the premade factory stuff theres always a slight difference. Longer ranges of 300m + is far more fun though.

In my training, I've learned that you pull the trigger between the inhale and exhale portions of your breath.  You can pause or delay for an extra second or two during that time, but you don't really "hold" your breath.  Holding your breath for any period beyond a couple seconds would probably add a some subtle trembling, thus degrading your shooting.

This is exactly how it works. You hold you breath and for a short while your aim is somewhat steadier. If you are holding it long, the effect degrades and after a few seconds it is shaking even more than before.

"Holding breath" is here to simulate the preparation done right before the shot at distant target (holding breath, partially pulling the trigger, "locking" your muscles).

Uh, the big guy solves the problem eh?

Just what I thought, BIS got this thing thought out so it's nice and realistic smile_o.gif

the kind of features that are completely impossible to implement with a 2D sight setup.

Features that are unrealistic. IMO

Every one that has fired with a assault rifle or any weapon with iron sights will know what i mean.

When sights are adjusted (maybe 1 time in a year) you don't need to touch them. You just look down your sights and find target, BANG. Hit.

So if you implement some silly buttons that you have to every time you shoot adjust it's just WRONG.

But i don't think BIS would even consider that. So nothing to worry about.

In some situations it would be realistic. According to ex-SAS members who fought in the first Gulf War, you have to adjust the sight on the weapon depending on the person. While one person may hit a target 200 m away, if another one gets the same weapon, he may miss the same target completely. So it would be a nice in case you have to pick up a weapon or something...

i have always wished for adjustable sites in this game. i have my ar-15 site adjusted in a manner that lets me lolly pop my target, i find that easier to use than placing the bead on the target.

Actually, adjusting the sight would be very nice feature, but if it were to be added, the player should have been able to turn it on/off. Personally I'd probably liked it, but I do understand that some people wouldn't like it.

Well in our counntry , in basic training were issued Mauser 1909 for basic shooting. the target was at 200 m but the sight of the Mauser 1909 the min distance of the sight is 400m, so what we do? complaing? no we just aim lower and shoot ,and see where we put the shoot , even with the Fal (I know old gear but , is what my country have) we dont adjust sight.

You dont adjust unless you are in shooting range and going for a hunting trip or you are in bench rest style of shooting.

the kind of features that are completely impossible to implement with a 2D sight setup.

Features that are unrealistic. IMO

Every one that has fired with a assault rifle or any weapon with iron sights will know what i mean.

When sights are adjusted (maybe 1 time in a year) you don't need to touch them. You just look down your sights and find target, BANG. Hit.

So if you implement some silly buttons that you have to every time you shoot adjust it's just WRONG.

But i don't think BIS would even consider that. So nothing to worry about.

Potatomasher, thank you kindly for jumping to the totally incorrect conclusions. banghead.gif

There are significant features that are IMPOSSIBLE on a 2D sight system that would be made possible via 3D sights, and I'm NOT talking about "zeroing" your weapon.

Try reading anything linked in my signature. You might learn something. Maybe then you'll have a clue as to the kind of features I'm talking about? Try the Infiltration article first, as it showcases all kinds of great things that can be done with 3D sights.

I'll have a second Dslyecxi's suggestion about reading his Infiltration article. wink_o.gif

Ok. Dslyecxi. You win, i don't want to argue with you on this. Obviously you take this whole game (fps genre) much seriously than i am.

smile_o.gif

Ok. Dslyecxi. You win, i don't want to argue with you on this. Obviously you take this whole game (fps genre) much seriously than i am.

smile_o.gif

Oh boy, I win! What's the prize? yay.gif

so funny to read all ex, or current military people telling them how they got taught to hold their breathe and then some people comes say its silly, and they havent heard about something like that until they played Call of duty 2 smile_o.gif

in swedish army i got taught SARA, a girls name, but it stand for.

Stallning == position

Andning == breathing, meaning, take a breath, hold it

Rikting == aiming, should you aim on, below, above your target

Avfyrning == take the shot.

And this i was teached on a 100 meter target with iron sight, normal 5.56 rifle. Not like sniper, marksmanship stuff.

Holding your breath is realistic and good thing and together with the "breathing" from old ofp i think it can rock.

I agree with the above. A lot of You guys are pretty funny there.

And not to correct you or anything but here's what us real soldiers are taught.

Steady Position -Assure your rifle is in a good supported posistion, slight rearward pressure should come from the front grip not your trigger hand.

Point of Aim - Front sight apperature should be center mast the circle of your rear sight, and you should remember a point on your weapon cheek to stock so's you always obtain the same sight picture. Depending on distance, your front sight post places different areas on the target, Never off the target.

Proper Breathing - Respitory Pause on an inhale and exhale, or holding your breath for short bursts in rapid successions.

Trigger Squeeze - Do not jerk the trigger, squeeze it and hold it for a second after each round as to not throw off yer aim.

I'm getting tired of the people who say its silly... cause they sit behind their computers and play FPS all day. Do yourself a favor and go join the real army (US that is)  whistle.gif  sorry brits, you're cool too.

Quote[/b] ]You guys are pretty funny there... I never played call of duty. That game was far to unrealistic.

And to correct you on your aiming techniques since yer clearly an idiot...

Steady Position -Assure your rifle is in a good supported posistion, slight rearward pressure should come from the front grip not your trigger hand.

Point of Aim - Front sight apperature should be center mast and you should remember a point on your weapon cheek to stock so's you always obtain the same sight picture. Depending on distance, your front sight post places different areas on the target, Never off the target you scrub.

Proper Breathing - Respitory Pause on an inhale and exhale, or holding your breath for short bursts in rapid successions.

Trigger Squeeze - Do not jerk the trigger, squeeze it and hold it for a second after each round as to not throw off yer aim.

I'm gettin tired off all you little bastards that think ya got the knowledge of a soldier. Perhaps if you joined the worlds real army (US), you'd have known the above. I'm out.

My god.

You USM guys amaze and disgust me. You guys simply do not have the ability to debate things on this forum in a civil manner. If you cannot refrain from calling people "idiots" because they were taught something different than you in their military service, please find some other place to post.

Your elitist "Hurr, I'm too good for CoD2, it's not realistic enough!" attitude is likewise disgusting.

Your remark about the "World's real Army (US)" is also extremely inflamatory considering that the Flashpoint community is a multi-national one. There are plenty of current and former servicemembers in here who hail from a wide variety of countries. The fact that you are in the US Armed Forces does not make you "better" than them. Your attitude sure as shit does not make you better than them.

What GranQ said is called a "mnemonic", in his case it was intended to help recruits and soldiers remember the basic shooting steps. It is not an exhaustive list of all the things one must take into account when shooting, and the fact that you took it to be that and then harshly critiqued him is, again, disgusting.

Highspeed, you may think you're hot shit because you're in - what, the US Army, I'm guessing? That does not make you better than anyone else here. What counts here is knowledge, attitude, and the ability to communicate in a civil fashion. You may have some knowledge, but your attitude SUCKS and your tact is absolutely atrocious.

Cut your elitist bullshit out, please. It's getting old. As a former US Marine myself, you're making the military that I am oh-so-proud of look like ass by your piss-poor behavior.

If you would like me to jump in here and tear into your "aiming techniques" and call you an idiot, let me know. I served as a rifle/pistol coach during my service and was a multiple-award EXPERT shooter for both weapons, I'm sure I could do a fine job of making you feel like a dunce based upon the little writeup you did right there. I'll take the higher ground and refrain from doing that now, perhaps you can learn from my example? Perhaps not.

In any case, you have done a fine job of once again reinforcing in my mind that the USM "squad" is something to be avoided at all costs. icon_rolleyes.gif Pool all the maturity that you guys apparently have, combined, and we'd be lucky to fill a thimble.

edit: Gee, color me surprised. He edited his post. Pity I quoted his original inflammatory post in mine, eh? rofl.gif

I changed my post cause I misread that other kids post. I'm sorry, I was hoppin no one had saw that. I re-read and re-posted. It was a mistake so don't take it personally. I missread thinking he was bashing real and former military... that was what the original post revolved around.

And only two of us USM guys have posted here one was speaking of military formations and people started a flame topic saying formations are useless and such... that would fall under what the kid I responded to said about goofs commin in and sayin we're full of it. Once again sorry about my previous post, and cause I didn't intend to post that I don't see it fit for you to put it up, but whatever.

I find Highspeeds original post pretty pathetic aswell. You do not have to be in any army or have military training to be a good shooter in real life. Anyone can become a good shooter if they put the time in and spend a bit of money along with some guidance from a experienced shooter or shooters. Once you have the basics down and practice for awhile it becomes so much easier and enjoyable just like most things in life.

Onto the gaming side of things it works the same way, if you put the time in and practice regularly you become far better at it. Most people cant be bothered or have the time to learn more technical games like OFP so they stick to the easier and faster paced action games like COD2 whichs appeals to them for shorter periods of time until the next version is out. Gaming can help for things like reflexes etc.

Man Screw you fuckers, I'm tired of you flammin bastards, see you on the battlefield, and when I'm teabagging your corpse in ArmA then talk shit.

Quoting so he doesn't get out of this one, either.

I present you a golden example of what I am talking about. What you see above is precisely why I have issues with the USM clan.

That complete lack of maturity is disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. It's a shame you're a part of our community. band.gif

Man Screw you fuckers, I'm tired of you flammin bastards, see you on the battlefield, and when I'm teabagging your corpse in ArmA then talk shit.

Quoting so he doesn't get out of this one, either.

I present you a golden example of what I am talking about. What you see above is precisely why I have issues with the USM clan.

That complete lack of maturity is disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. It's a shame you're a part of our community. band.gif

Yeah, you "teabag" alot in the real life. I highly doubt he even got to high school, armed forces are overkill for that attitude/kind of talk.

what...just...happened??

why are people so angry about differing points of view??

Cause the armed forces pwn you. No let me rephrase the US armed forces Pwns you. Yeah that one guy's a marine alright, he's a marine Biologist... he looks at seals pooters all day.

Cause the armed forces pwn you. No let me rephrase the US armed forces Pwns you. Yeah that one guy's a marine alright, he's a marine Biologist... he looks at seals pooters all day.

I hope to see you banned from these forums. It's going to happen if you continue this behavior.

Also, like others have said, I seriously doubt that you've ever been enlisted in the US Armed Forces. Your total lack of maturity would have never survived through basic training.

edit: Haha, he threw in a personal attack against me. Good job, buddy.

yer a scrub, go home. I was in the military, I've just watched the bullshit go on in these forums too long. I post in the armedassault zone forums and don't receive this kind of bullshit... so what I made a mistake. You nearsighted twirps can't let it slide, so yeah I'm pissed, and I hope I do get banned off these forums, and for that other crotch yanker who posted about me teabaggin in real life... I'd teabag yer face too if you had the guts to say that crap to my face.

USM's a fairly mature squad, but my friend couldn't even post in here without havin his post go to a flame disscusion. So suck it dano, I could give a flyin rats ass what you people think.

yer a scrub, go home. I was in the military, I've just watched the bullshit go on in these forums too long. I post in the armedassault zone forums and don't receive this kind of bullshit... so what I made a mistake. You nearsighted twirps can't let it slide, so yeah I'm pissed, and I hope I do get banned off these forums, and for that other crotch yanker who posted about me teabaggin in real life... I'd teabag yer face too if you had the guts to say that crap to my face.

Prove it. Post some kind of proof that you've served.

I seriously, seriously doubt it.

And yes, you did make a mistake. We don't put up with your kind of bullshit here. Have fun back at the AAZone forums. We certainly won't miss you. icon_rolleyes.gif

edit:

Quote[/b] ]

USM's a fairly mature squad, but my friend couldn't even post in here without havin his post go to a flame disscusion. So suck it dano, I could give a flyin rats ass what you people think.

I've yet to see this. Both of the USM members who have posted here have shown a total lack of maturity. I somehow doubt the rest of you are any different. If by some odd chance they are, man... they should be ashamed that you are the one that ended up making the USM's impression on these boards.