Sign in to follow this  
IceFLYER

Children?

Are there any children addons?

You know, the regular mom and pop kind playing in the park, and then the brainwashed psycho kind carry ak's huh.gif

Are there any addon makers that have made these? Are any addon makers willing to make them?

---IceFLYER

AFIAK the only children units would be included in the old Singapore Armed Forces Mod.

They're just smaller scaled units, and have some cargo placement issues when they're sitting in a vehicle.

Otherwise no, there aren't any children addons, mainly due to addon maker community not wanting negative press for making things that allow you to gun down kids... you know - sensationalist press abounds with that sort of thing. biggrin_o.gif

And there are the teenagers in the BAS-Tonal pack...

Different size units/kids would cause animation errors and other moral issues I believe, as far as I know.

Moral issues....

What about killing civilians, women and oldies(Sebnam pack).

I call this "selective" moral issues.

All it would take is for someone with a shed-load of patience to scale down almost every animation in the game to fit a smaller (child-sized) model. The ethics are for the mission makers to solve. If people don't like it, no-one is forcing you to download and use them (that goes for the addon, as well as any resulting missions that use them).

technicaly its not very difficult..

you just have to rescale a model over the rescale prompt

with the "affect animations" and "resize every lod" (or similar lol) ticked on.

itll properly scale the models and change their anims..

however the speed wil remain the same lol :P

only issues ive seen are really huge units the tend to have

deformtions..

however..

hmm moral issues?...

from shooting pixels hm..

man then im a rutheless and carnage loving mass-murder(ess).

honestly if you take game this serious you should consult your psychiatrist and stop gaming as you seem to loose

grip of reality biggrin_o.gif

hehe

seriously...

my personal opninion about kid models is that they should be kept out..

theres enough bloodshed on earth and at least we should have kinda proper clean fights in ofp..

without genocide rape and whatever..

ciao

Very interesting comments.

Technically then we can say it's possible.

As for moral issues aspects, and I can say this is what brought on the question of this topic in the first place, is that because of all the bloodsheed and blind eyes that perhaps this game in all it's fantasy can be an outlet for some small bit of reality, and still enjoy the gaming experience. Personally that's what I try to focus on when making a mission (check out The Savage Nation mission recently made for first hand). To bring out some truth, at least, so that I myself don't get lost in the game is what I'm getting at. But yeah don't think too much into it as this may already sound...

Simply put: Just looking for a new prop.

---IceFLYER

Quote[/b] ]hmm moral issues?...

from shooting pixels

For me it would be very disturbing to accidently kill a kid even if it's just a game. I don't get that bad conscience from killing a civilian for his car in mfcti though smile_o.gif

Same here, even if I play a Nam mission with an armed female VC, I dont want to shoot her. Shooting unarmed civvies refusing to co-operate is nothing, though.

Yes, I have warped moral views, but so do many others, I'll use GTA as an example. Drugs and killing people ok, then a breast consisting of polygons and a bitmaps appears, eek, ban it!

I see no good reason why to have children in-game. Let's just think they all got evacuated or are hiding in the basements, while their parents try to protect them by getting shot.

Guest Ti0n3r

I'm hoping for civilian-children in ArmA. Now that would make me double check before I open fire smile_o.gif

Either that or give humans some emotion, they run and scream and cry. Not just lay down. I think kid addons would be fine, after all it isnt reality and there are much much more horrific games out there, and, as stated above, you wouldn't be forced to download or use them its up to the user.

there was kids in Fallout 1/2 - I remember when I misunderstanded one conversation and after all was fighting with all people in city: women, men, children ... unarmed ... well, that was so bad feeling, that after couple of minutes I loaded previous save.

and the clue is:

children sometimes find their way into games but death-situations with children is really bad for almost any mature player...

there was kids in Fallout 1/2 - I remember when I misunderstanded one conversation and after all was fighting with all people in city: women, men, children ... unarmed ... well, that was so bad feeling, that after couple of minutes I loaded previous save.

and the clue is:

children sometimes find their way into games but death-situations with children is really bad for almost any mature player...

Of course child death situations is bad for any player, but think of the effect it would have on your gameplay, you would start to actually care about saving civilians, make sure that every shot you fire is at an enemy, it would create another level of immersion into the game but we would still have to be carefull of morale obligations.

This is quite an old debate...

Personally I don't have a problem killing children in a game, or seeing nude models, etc. I don't really understand people that are shocked to see kids in a game.

If I want to play a war simulator I want it to be as much realistic as possible, kids have always been involved in war, from hitler youth to the African soldier kids. So what? It is a game!

I think that playing a game where you kill people without wanting to see anything that could give you bad or guilty feelings, is in a way both supporting real wars and closing the eyes on what they really are.

I'm afraid this whole subject is OFF-LIMITS to me.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:DarkRed'>Society is sooooo f*cked up as it is and further de-sensitising of voilence against women and children in this form, GAMING, is not on.</span></span>

band.gif

I'm hoping for civilian-children in ArmA. Now that would make me double check before I open fire smile_o.gif

How about non-civilian children? Now that would mess with your head a bit.

Gnat @ July 11 2006,18:25)]I'm afraid this whole subject is OFF-LIMITS to me.

<span style='color:DarkRed'>Society is sooooo f*cked up as it is and further de-sensitising of voilence against women and children in this form, GAMING, is not on.</span>

band.gif

This is of course just an opinion, but I find it much more disturbing that violence against men is considered perfectly okay, or at the very least politically correct.

Santa's elves, same size but still scare the shit out of me enough to shoot 'em.

Gnat @ July 11 2006,17:25)]Society is sooooo f*cked up as it is and further de-sensitising of voilence against women and children in this form, gaming, is not on.

band.gif

I think that it should be possible to fire at innocence, because it makes certain you dont forget it.

In war there's crimes towards innocent people, patrolling a town where there are cute girls wearing little skirts (talking about innocence whistle.gif ) will not make you want to shoot them, more like uppen your wish to defend them.

If I'd shoot that girl wearing a skirt during an assault, even if I'd won the assault, I'd feel bad about killing her, and I dont think there are allot of people that'd enjoy shooting her wink_o.gif .

I think there should be kids in OFP, for the realism. If you think that its not ok to shoot them because of moral issues you dont have to, but in the other way they could kill you. A bullet from a 12 year old boy is as deadly as a bullet from an old man.

Africa is the biggest example of child soldiers, sad but true Al is right.

Well the only problem is people with the knowledge to make decent children and to make the animations etc, Youd have to resrtrict large weapons like AT4's and PK's because they wouldnt really be able to weild them.

ANd it would look like shit firefoxlover.gif

If "shorter" people were to be made and animated then P:UKF no doubt along with 1982: Flashpoint in the Falklands would and could look into representing Gurkhas.

Gurkhas.jpg

I ve seen enough children in afghanstan armed with PKMs, RPDs and RPGs. Sure it looks kinda strange, but in my opinion every kid with a weapon looks strange.