Sign in to follow this  
deanosbeano

Destructable buildings/walls/etc

lol cheers , thats ecp for ya wink_o.gif.

sounds will come last, but i will use the glass one for the glass, i suspect smile_o.gif

this is probablly the mopst promising addon i've seen for a while mate keep up the good work effects look rpetty go as of now

.Mark out. wink_o.gif

so far, at the stage i am at ,which obviously is not full ,cpu intensive, i have tried (btw with new desructive roof). 22 houses and before damage i am gettting 70 fps, when destruction i am going to 55fps.so all is good. i am hoping that with all done and men ai etc , it will be no lower than 24fps. but as i amlearning adons,(this is my first).the hardest for me is the LOD and such,but it seems to go well. last night i made roof and now i will be refining the destruct script and shape of roof debris. ty for all the positive comments.

notworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

Great stuff so far ...but can I make a suggestion?

Instead of creating an addon made up of bricks would walls sections not be more appropriate?

For example take a look at a BIS building...looks like a crumpled piece of crap when destroyed but if you were to say make a wall with the ability to blow the centre and corners off I think that would cover various hits from tanks and such.

Try making things like doors, windows, and roof beams.

All would have their own death positions and animations....window all smashed missing a few bricks(part of the window "brick") or a beam that falls allowing a section of floor(brick) to fall as well. Doors would be real sweet....add the good ol add action script so that when a player approaches he can use the but of his gun to smash it open....new animation packs may even have a "kick" animation?

Set it so that the door swings open fast when kicked or flies off and smashes when hit by large munitions. wink_o.gif

BAsically break the building down to its structural parts and have each of those detect hits.

THis could be really cool with burning scripts! Imagine the Just the roof of a building burning cause the one next door was bombed.... huh.gif

Each component could also affect the other components around it....obviously if a large corner of the building or roof beams are knocked out the roof would come crashing in as well...or building is burning from a tank shell taking out the bottom floor if the damage is not too severe the floor beams would take a while to burn and then...whammo the whole thing colapses..

Hope this little brain fart gave ya some ideas although you guys sound like your working things out just fine. biggrin_o.gif

Hey nice ideas, i will surely try them all, some i already thought of,but as you see i am very early w.i.p. testing first brick comes out of wall ,wall breaks etc etc.i hope there will be several types,the thing yo describe ,with door etc was done along time ago by colonelklink, i dont know what happened, but it was looking good in screens.like evrything ,you start with simple idea and suddenly it snowballs and becomes 1000, i am new so imust keep it basic and rudimentary,for now smile_o.gif. but your ideas are good for me.

anyway i have not done much tonight .this is a video of some very basic 4 wall (same wall) and roof. i will be making 2 floors eventually. and the fire thing you mention, well jst addd ecp and its already done.;).

anyway here is video ,not much more done than before, just maybe roof and amount of builings.

stage 5

wink_o.gifwink_o.gif

Dont be so humble...what you've got so far looks sweet!!

And dont worry i'm not expecting that you'l implement any thing I say right away....real life has to factor in there somewhere biggrin_o.gif

Not sure if there is a way but making sure things fall in order I think would be really helpful in making it more realistic...

While ECP is a definate plus, making objects aquire damage in a logical order would make even the ECP effects more realistic.

A little bit of code that would allow building only hit with a little damage that has units inside that arent killed in the initial blast to run out of the building would also look good.

Kinda like the vehicle scripts in ECP where destroyed vehicles have injured units jump out on fire.

wink_o.gif

If ya dont mind....i'll just keep posting any ideas I have here and maybe they will help in your development....

The way you decribed it GOON was awesome, made me want to blow things up again! thumbs-up.gif

Maybee you should also test what happens to the wall when its hit by 2 LGB's! crazy_o.gif

EDIT

EEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK! crazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

Dude wow_o.gif That stage 5 video is super cool! yay.gifthumbs-up.gif

EDIT

I allways use scripts to create lots of debris when I feel like blowing the crap out of something. But just think these could be real parts of buildings blowing into 2390832490 pieces! thumbs-up.gif Grreeaaat!

piccy

nice one smile_o.gif. programme suspended until monday now,weekend is here ,tomorrow will be football world cup and sunday is relax and take it easy.i will be scripting in my mind ,i am sure wink_o.gif.

p.s couldnt resist , bigger part number. , next step some structure needs to be left behind ,at least a little wall.

stage 5.1

nice one smile_o.gif. programme suspended until monday now,weekend is here ,tomorrow will be football world cup and sunday is relax and take it easy.i will be scripting in my mind ,i am sure wink_o.gif.

p.s couldnt resist , bigger part number. , next step some structure needs to be left behind ,at least a little wall.

stage 5.1

Very impressive.

It look like the destroyed part are flying in a natural way, like if there were some real physics.

Superb work icon14.gif

That looks excellant!!. Great work!.. I hope it works out ok with out too much lag introduced into the game. Have you thought about trying it with sand bags to replace the current bunkers and gun pits with the destructable type. Just might allow you to get out a few add-ons quickly for the community to test and give feed back on. Keep up the great work..

Quote[/b] ]That looks excellant!!. Great work!.. I hope it works out ok with out too much lag introduced into the game. Have you thought about trying it with sand bags to replace the current bunkers and gun pits with the destructable type. Just might allow you to get out a few add-ons quickly for the community to test and give feed back on. Keep up the great work..

if you can get me sandbag pbo, i will apply my detruct script and a few pieces and will tr it no problem. if i get time tonight i will try 20 explosion of similar type to 5.1 and fps test,but that one is running very smooth so far.

Indeed, very impressive.

Keep on the good work.

Cheers

wel havent done much, just tidy a few scripts and new smaller anim for pieces into pieces,some people have mentioned lag of lastvideo, it was my fault i slowed by half in windows media maker .lol i do it for taking pics. this time full speed no lag. :0

here

Are you by any chance doing this so that you delete the original object and 'spawn' the pieces/debris via scripting?

Deleting map objects placed in the world via wrp tool/visitor can not be done so this will not work on those kind of buildings/objects, if indeed deleting the object is used..

Which makes the usage of this kinda limited (editor placeable only).. sad_o.gif

very nice deano

can we shoot your wall down , plz smile_o.gif

keep up the good work,buddy

ty all for kind comments, you will be shooting it down soon eddy d;)

Quote[/b] ]Are you by any chance doing this so that you delete the original object and 'spawn' the pieces/debris via scripting?

Deleting map objects placed in the world via wrp tool/visitor can not be done so this will not work on those kind of buildings/objects, if indeed deleting the object is used..

Which makes the usage of this kinda limited (editor placeable only)..

sorry but i think tht 90% of people who would use this would be placing itin editor anyway. i have maybe coma across 20-30 serious island makers and 1000`s of mission makers.this adon will be my legacy to OFP and when finished i hope to move on to arma.

ty all for kind comments, you will be shooting it down soon eddy d;)
Quote[/b] ]Are you by any chance doing this so that you delete the original object and 'spawn' the pieces/debris via scripting?

Which makes the usage of this kinda limited (editor placeable only)..

sorry but i think tht 90% of people who would use this would be placing itin editor anyway. i have maybe coma across 20-30 serious island makers and 1000`s of mission makers.this adon will be my legacy to OFP and when finished i hope to move on to arma.

Well sorry to say that but 100% will use that for place

it in editor because the island makers will then not

see any usage of it.

But you downgrade your hard work by that way of thinking IMHO. This will then end up in a just for fun addon, nothing

seriously comming out of it. Destroy the building missions

will come over and over but i can't imagine made by serious

mission makers.

Now imagine if there were 20-30 mission makers and 1000's

of serious island makers (because you mentioned that).

What a boring situation this would be - everyday a new

map but no missions for them. tounge2.gif

~S~ CD

Quote[/b] ]Well sorry to say that but 100% will use that for place

it in editor because the island makers will then not

see any usage of it.

But you downgrade your hard work by that way of thinking IMHO. This will then end up in a just for fun addon, nothing

seriously comming out of it. Destroy the building missions

will come over and over but i can't imagine made by serious

mission makers.

Now imagine if there were 20-30 mission makers and 1000's

of serious island makers (because you mentioned that).

What a boring situation this would be - everyday a new

map but no missions for them. tounge2.gif

hmm are you agreeing with me ? sorry but i dont understand at all.i was saying that because this addon will be placed in editor ,does not make it limited.because the majority of people who would use it ,will be mission makers not island makers .? for example once buildings are set on an island there they stay forever. but in editor it can change with one simple line of code every time .for example Tonal by Bas , a beautiful island but lags like fook. why ? because there are 440,000 objects. imagine a tonal ,where the editor could place the objects for that mission and script where he wanted phase 2 of the mission ,like Dac but for buildings, so much less lag and less cpu to use for other things. as ever i apreciate all comments, not all these buildings are script delete and spawn,if i finish this i will work on the wall, that does not and you can use for islands.

for example Tonal by Bas , a beautiful island but lags like fook. why ? because there are 440,000 objects. imagine a tonal ,where the editor could place the objects for that mission and script where he wanted phase 2 of the mission ,like Dac but for buildings, so much less lag and less cpu to use for other things. as ever i apreciate all comments, not all these buildings are script delete and spawn,if i finish this i will work on the wall, that does not and you can use for islands.

While your initial point about Tonal's "lag" being caused by the high object count is correct, your second conclusion is wrong.

During the R&D testing phase for the [non-BAS] dynamically destroyable building addons I was involved in, we found that editor placed objects cause at least 2-3 times more of a hit than wrp placed objects. We quite happily got the wrp object count up to the millions, but trying to place even half that amount via the editor == insta ctd's. I think we got to a few 1000 editor placed objects before it became unplayable.

Unfortunately I cant "publish" all the findings of our testing, as they were never properly documented, and what we did have was lost in server migration a while ago. confused_o.gif

Also - while its nice that your system works great (which it does appear to) on desert island, have you performed any testing in "real" environments? Such as the BIS islands with AI, vehicles and other supporting objects, and with AI waypoints/tasking and scripts running? Would also be interesting to know what fps you're getting with the buildings on the map and what specs you're testing on.

[Edit]I wish I could spell...[/Edit]

ty for the advice, the point i was trying to make,is that in dac the ai only spawn when you are near the area,(i imagine arma streaming will use similar but more advanced).so why have hundreds of thousands of objects when you only need a few hundred, what we must remember is that i have started this for cqb type missions , close quarter.my initial idea was not for the brick to even exlode ,just have dust emit with pieces of brick falling off,(i hope to go back to it.)

ok now back to tests,right now i have 20 towers on nogova and i am about to blow using the most laggy arty i know (COC).thats not a slur cause they put lots of work and its excellent,but for me to much normally and good for lag test.

sometimes in text ,i am said to sound ungrateful, i am not good at typing and have some probs in words.but pls accept i am grateful for all input suggestions and even critisicm.

Just had a look at that last video. Wow!!!! I guess, as stated that there may be some hit to FPS, but there's no ned to fill a whole island with these, just a few for the mission, ay?