txalin

William Porter's Blog

I think that the Blog was intended as another medium through which to, not only promote the game, but also to provide a background or history which will provide an extra element of imersion.

Think about it this way, It's kind of like watching the news and being informed of events surrounding a situation. If we are aware of the history of a given situation we will have more of an understanding and possibly be more involved. Therefore when the game is finally released we are able to take control and 'live' the experience of a character (in this example it's William). It's possibly trying to get us involved in the story a lot more and presenting it in an innovative way.

Though it could also be a way of distracting the wingemonger brigade from creating endless posts entitled 'Why is ArmA not released yet and why is the arm patch the wrong way round', though for the distraction to be effective they would have to update regularly...hmmm confused_o.gif

Low Light out

I think that the Blog was intended as another medium through which to, not only promote the game, but also to provide a background or history which will provide an extra element of imersion.

yeah, some n00b who's just bought the game and has never heard of the blog prolly won't have any idea wtf just happened when the MP's take him away biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

I'd rather they worked on the game than updated the blog. biggrin_o.gif

well the updates aren't that frequent to jeopardize the development wink_o.gif

That you know of. We don't know what they do up there each day,they could be updating the game over and over. Just because we don't necessarily see it does not mean its not there.

That you know of. We don't know what they do up there each day,they could be updating the game over and over. Just because we don't necessarily see it does not mean its not there.

I think PainDealer was referring to William Porter's Blog not game... If you ment Paindealer... And if i understood right that you were talking about updating the game? As subject was about (non-)updating that blog.

That goes without saying. But still, I wish BIS had the manpower to update it more frequently.

It's such a novel idea...

That goes without saying. But still, I wish BIS had the manpower to update it more frequently.

It's such a novel idea...

How can one say that.. think!!! use that head lol who says the guy writting the blog is the guy making the game.. i could be making a game and hire some guy to right a blog every so oftern.. i bet the person who rights that blog doesnt code the game or anything for all we know it could be placebo who rights it lol

rofl.gif

This blog does not disrupt the making of ArmA in any way lol tounge2.gif

So we've established that Bill's a Soldier.

But I'm guessing there's a detachment of Marines on the island as well, as evidenced by the Cobras and Harriers.

I'm guessing no picture taking is allowed of the Det while in-country, at least not of the aircraft while on the ground nor of the squadron personnel; and that there's no liberty (time off) for them....God bless the Marine Corps. yay.gif

Don't the US Airforce use Harriers aswell?

I think this has been discussed before but is it not likely that the marines arrive as a rapid reaction force to provide some kind of reinforcement to the US Army?

Don't the US Airforce use Harriers aswell?

Nope, no Harriers in the Air Force.

Quote[/b] ]I think this has been discussed before but is it not likely that the marines arrive as a rapid reaction force to provide some kind of reinforcement to the US Army?

I didn't consider that. I was just following the "story" in Wm's blog. From what I gather from the blog, major hostilities, if any at all, haven't broken out, thus not requiring Marines' assistance. But then if one goes by all the demo movies for ArmA, it's frikin war!

Total frickin War man!!!!! pistols.gif

I think I was getting a little confused with regard to the harrier. The RAF operates/ed them and I was applying the same model to the US...!

I wonder if there is a resemblence to this fictional scenario to any historical or current hostilities?

I don't think we can relate the New screens and Videos to the story that Wm-P is telling us. We'll just have to wait and see what really happens

Its one of the few things im not very happy about, the new tech, features and everything else sound great but the vehicle/unit selection break the "realism" factor considerably.

A10 instead of harrier..

Apache instead of super cobra.

Bradley instead of M113.

Its not that BIS doesnt know what the US army and the USMC have..

Im also wondering why are the UH60's green? Shouldnt they be black? confused_o.gif .

Why do they have to be black? I personally like them better green.

Its like current Iraq if you ask me..

US pulls out, Leaves Some Troops Behind to Train the Locals into a Army of there own, then north invades and trys to take over..

Hope I'm not going off topic with this:

But who would the North reperesent? I was thinking it was leaning towards a Korea type scenario... I think I need to check some military history books and some similar sites first...

...Possibly Operation Palliser (British assistance in Sierra Leon) pre Operation Barras?

Its not that BIS doesnt know what the US army and the USMC have..

Im also wondering why are the UH60's green? Shouldnt they be black? confused_o.gif .

In one interview Placebo was asked about the mix of units and said that they had a good explanation planned.

IMHO the situation is that an Army unit are there training with their equipment, but when attacked they are reinforced by the Marines (Marines being the obvious choice for quick deployment to an island).

Edit: In fact, given the island scenario, are A-10s kept in readiness on board any aircraft carriers or would they have to be specially flown out?

As far as the UH-60s being black? Why? Although named the blackhawk, in most pictures I've seen of them they are that green.

How can one say that.. think!!! use that head lol who says the guy writting the blog is the guy making the game.. i could be making a game and hire some guy to right a blog every so oftern.. i bet the person who rights that blog doesnt code the game or anything for all we know it could be placebo who rights it lol

rofl.gif

This blog does not disrupt the making of ArmA in any way lol  tounge2.gif

What? I wouldn't hire somebody just to write a blog and it would be unlikely that a small developer like BI would do so. Whoever's doing it has got to have plenty of other stuff to do even if they are not a programmer. And poor Placebo already has his hands full.

Somebody said they thought the writer was Viktor Bocan. But do we know who it really is? Novak, maybe?

... are A-10s kept in readiness on board any aircraft carriers or would they have to be specially flown out?

They wouldn't need to put the A10s on a carrier; it would have its own strike capability aboard, in the F/A18, EA-6 (and S3s?).

Now the Joint Chiefs, or the local Commander of the region, might get a wild hair up the you-know-what and put A10s on a carrier, to transport 'em in (much like when they put the 10th Mountain Division on a carrier when the U.S. went into Haiti in the mid- to late-nineteen nineties. (I'm still tryin' to figure that one out, given there was a MEU(SOC) on hand))

Or A10s are on some "nearby" island....

Like Low Light said, I guess: "We'll just have to wait and see what really happens"

... are A-10s kept in readiness on board any aircraft carriers or would they have to be specially flown out?

They wouldn't need to put the A10s on a carrier; it would have its own strike capability aboard, in the F/A18, EA-6 (and S3s?).

That's really my point. Several people have said that the A-10 is more realistic than the Harrier, I'm pointing out that it would be much less realistic.

That's really my point. Several people have said that the A-10 is more realistic than the Harrier, I'm pointing out that it would be much less realistic.

All pics i've seen of army blackhawks that arent old have them in black. I dont think its just the SOAR ones, im not saying i dont like the green paint scheme, it just looks odd to have black littlebirds and od green blackhawks (what are the ah6's doing there anyway?).

I understand how BIS can make the Arma plot using the us army and usmc unit mix, but it would still work with all army stuff and the possibilities for user made missions would be much better smile_o.gif .