Sign in to follow this  
Ironsight

Latest screenshots available

Bloody amazing ebns72. Thats what I'm talking about. I personally would rather see similar size islands in Armed Assault to the the current OFP ones but with a hugely enhanced environment. Ie, much smaller cell sizes allowing for realistic terrain detail, as opposed to the current flat expanses of ground. OFP is after all a large scale infantry simulator at heart wink_o.gif

The attitude of some OFP die-hards to think of OFPE as a 'lesser' game is just mind boggling

Regarding mission/addon possibilities in OFP:E, yes, that game is a lesser game than OFP. Its a fact. Accept it.

Quote[/b] ]OFPE was developed AFTER OFP, that should be enough argument to treat OFPE with the respect it deserves!

If the game would allow me to write my own scripts I'd fully agree, but unfortunately I can't.

Quote[/b] ]Why the hell would i spent weeks on a mission when i use just one template (i need more BIS:) and throw in some GUARD waypoints, and in 30 minutes have a hell of a mission which is fun and demanding both solo and coop EVERY SINGLE RUN i play it thru.

That GUARD-WP works the same way on the PC, its just that the AI has been improved, nothing more nothing less.

Quote[/b] ]Check out the vid, watch the beach fight. All the action you see is just some GUARD waypoints...

I saw your video and to be honest all I saw was some normal every-day mission, nothing special (not mocking your editing skills here).

Quote[/b] ]How would you 'script' a mission which could go on for hours with hundreds of units in which you are only a lone soldier? You can't.

Wrong. I can see you have'nt played Abandoned Armies or tried the DMA coop-engine, just to name a few. Try those before you reply thumbs-up.gif

Nomatter how you twist and turn it, like Deadmeat said; OFP would'nt be the game it is today without the scripting-capabilities. If you open any mission or template in OFP:E you will find enough scripts to read for a few days too.

We're not bashing OFP:E or saying it is a lesser game. All we're saying is that if you take away the scripting you remove one of the parts that make the game great.

No scripting - less possibilities

Quote[/b] ]I personally would rather see similar size islands in Armed Assault to the the current OFP ones but with a hugely enhanced environment. Ie, much smaller cell sizes allowing for realistic terrain detail, as opposed to the current flat expanses of ground.

I think what we see in the new screens looks close to 3.125m grids. That is OFP on very high terrain detail. Very high terrain detail and the size of all previous islands combined... Thats alot more than I had hoped for and I'm more than satisfied with that.

Scripting is old! The less scripting the better the game. Of course you have to define a start of a mission and the rest is up to the AI. That is the future:) ... see Game2.

Haha rofl.gif

Someone here really knows how things are going. Maybe OFPE already has chopperdust, TACTEvents, ECP, tankriders, (mapfact's) respawn, tail rotor failure, deployable MGs/launchers, or whatever (or parts of it), but what is OFP without it? And I'm sure, after some months we'll find enough stuff in ArmedAssault which has to be scripted as it is not included by BIS.

Daniel @ Feb. 15 2006,00:26)]Bloody amazing ebns72. Thats what I'm talking about. I personally would rather see similar size islands in Armed Assault to the the current OFP ones but with a hugely enhanced environment. Ie, much smaller cell sizes allowing for realistic terrain detail, as opposed to the current flat expanses of ground. OFP is after all a large scale infantry simulator at heart  wink_o.gif

Well that might be content for a new game... OFP was after all all about large scale battles, its what made it special comparing to the other war games that were out. So big islands are just what We (or at least I wink_o.gif) need. Smaller cell sizes already seem to be implented in AA, so we know the development of OFP is heading towards denser more detailed environments, which is a logic development.

Btw, the pic of the water looks great, it might be slightly offtopic but you should check out the "true" sequel to Far Cry PC (the pics from a Xbox 360 far cry sequel), CrySis. By far the greatest graphics I've ever seen, even better than Unreal 3, they're going for Huge environments, everything moveable and destroyable, physically affected and a dynamically morphing world and dynamic AI which needs no additional scripting to navigate and choose tactics... That'd be the engine of your choice if you want extremely detailed environments whistle.gif  And it looks far less plastic btw.

your vid is btw great, first moved pics I see of OFPE and it sure looks a lot more impressive than on the static pics. Especially the terrain, love that additional vegetation added and waves look good enough for me...

If we could get anything remotely similar to this in Arma (instead of white lines) I would be very impressed.

But then (as has been stated before) imagine how crap the land and sky would look compared to that water. It just wouldn't work...

It would be worth it in my opinion. The point is Armed Assault should have something "close" to this as opposed to a blue surface with white squiggles on and a space beneath it that kills you if you enter it. tounge2.gif

OK got VLC to play the water video! The 360 wave effects are quite impressive for the first 20 metres or so then it goes flat into the distance! That’s a bit short-sighted IMO tounge2.gif  . I think I prefer the original Far Cry PC version of the water, at least it has a better draw dist. Also Far Cry's water is too transparent in my view. (Even for tropical paradises)  confused_o.gif  Looks great though!

Joint Opps water looked good enough for me, put a few wave effects in and it would be more in keeping with the environment of ArmA.  smile_o.gif

i think it's a good thing BIS isn't implementing water of such notorious complexity and beauty. what, with such paradise around you i wouldn't want to fight, i would rather leave my gear on the shore and go bathe..

who knows, the soviets might join me too. did anyone say water polo?

Can anyone say skinny dip with Russian girls?

Too hot... no war effort... mission failed.

Regarding mission/addon possibilities in OFP:E, yes, that game is a lesser game than OFP. Its a fact. Accept it....

...Nomatter how you twist and turn it, like Deadmeat said; OFP would'nt be the game it is today without the scripting-capabilities. If you open any mission or template in OFP:E you will find enough scripts to read for a few days too.

We're not bashing OFP:E or saying it is a lesser game. All we're saying is that if you take away the scripting you remove one of the parts that make the game great.

No scripting - less possibilities...

Agreed (with the whole post)

xbox.jpg

Theres my xbox, and my copy of OFP:E

I've played both campaigns to completion several times, i'e messed about in the editor for countless hours... so don't lable me as a fanboi who hasnt tried the console version wink_o.gif

Yes, the AI in OFP:E is far superior to that of OFP:R

BUT, that is the ONLY reason the GUARD waypoints appear to be "so much better than in OFP:R"

Everything within the core of OFP:E has been enhanced over OFP:R, and that makes it a better game.

Now, with respect to the mission and addon possibilities, that lack of scripting makes it inferior to OFP:R, which is infinitely mod-able due to the incrdibly powerful scripting interface. There is no way you can argue with that fact.

Thankfully, in ArmA we get the best of both worlds, more intelligent AI and the ability to use the same level of scripting as in OFP:R. "Teh win!" wink_o.gif

[Edit]Oh yeah, and the carpet is horrific, but its a student house, what can you do tounge2.gif [/Edit]

Thankfully, in ArmA we get the best of both worlds, more intelligent AI and the ability to use the same level of scripting as in OFP:R. "Teh win!" wink_o.gif

I am silently screaming for this game to come out wow_o.gif

The new island has some Middle East filing (like buildings and so..). Is this mean we will have extra (fifth) side in addition to East, West, Res, Civ ?

advocatexxx please remove image tags when quoting smile_o.gif

Sorry guys, but i don't fall for ANY argument i hear. If i have to choose between better AI or infinite mod, and other PC stuff, well i choose better AI. Leave out the AI and the game is worthless.

So, if (some) ppl state/agree-on that the AI in OFP:E is better (because it is devd more recently) than the AI in OFP then the conclusion must be that OFPE is the better game. Period:)

No infinite mod/scripting will do anything about that.

Better AI = Better game.

Deal with that. Yeah, i know it must be difficult to accept that a low-spec console with no mods, etc has in fact the 'better' version of the OFP experience. For me OFP compared to OFPE is a dead world. I return to OFPE anytime ... now, why is that?

And of course ArmA will eclipse OFPE ... BUT atm ArmA is Vapourware. It doesn't exist. So OFPE is the best available, and honestly, it would be a nightmare if OFPE was worse than OFP ... what the hell do you think those devs of BIS were doing all the time:)

So it is:

Better AI = Better game.

so max, do you mean to say that the only thing that makes a good game is the smartness of the AI?

Take a flat square 1km x 1km that has 1 texture, say....completely white. Put in 2 modeled stick-people

Ref:

guyima.gif

with guns, one as player, the other as the greatest AI ever devised, would you call that a good game then?

Oh and did i mention, this game only has 16 colors.

Oh..and no animations.

I will take a step back. After all we are all OFP gamers;)

Let me rephrase my OFP feeling by saying that OFPE is an incredible console game. And that this is not without reason:)

OFPE is an incredible console game.

I agree!

Now that's been resolved we can all get back on topic smile_o.gif

OFPE is an incredible console game.

I agree!

Now that's been resolved we can all get back on topic smile_o.gif

true, but OFP is an incredible game wink_o.gif

anyway back on-topic:

I really wonder about the water, waves are nice and in OFPE it just looks good enough for me, I hope we will know a bit more about lakes and rivers soon. As there are waves, there is a possibilty they have lakes and/or rivers, this to make a difference, and the water not going up/down in the lakes like currently in OFP.

I doubt there will be swimming in arma. There is no swimming in elite.

I agree OFP:E is a great game and is lacking some features of the PC version. Since we've now got the ability to transfer over those pc missions to OFP:E there should be no reason to complain that you can't run scripts in Elite becuase you can with many of the new scripting commands/features. Addons will run in Elite but no one has come up with a way to do this with a retail xbox yet, but its coming.

Love what I see in AA so far.

lol, of course a computer can handle it, only it's designed for a console... You shouldn't get too impressed with the terraflops or power of the xbox 360. A computer will still stay more powerfull then the xbox, of course a bit more expensive, but then again, you can do so much more with it.