Sign in to follow this  
Ironsight

Latest screenshots available

Quote[/b] ]I find this hard to believe because ArmA is looking so good and everyone know that OFP is highly liked among PC scene. OFP has selled god knows how many copies.

Big publishers demand control over projects, which following the Codemasters problems is probably the last thing BIS want. If BIS can't retain full control over Arma they would probably turn down any offers from the big publishers.

There is also a big trend away from PC games at the moment, the big publishers are abandoning the platform for consoles. They will generally only take on games which have the potential to be massive mainstream hits which they can then milk for more money by releasing endless expansions or sequels. Regardless of how many copies OFP sold, it just wasn't what you could call a mainstream hit or blockbuster. OFP sold over a million copies but Battlefield 1942 has sold at least 3.5 million copies and Battlefield 2 has sold 2.2 million in it's first year alone.

Although Arma is trying to appeal more for the mainstream crowd, publishers will still factor OFPs relative success (or lack of it) into their decisions.

Quote[/b] ]I just expect that the publisher will be big with lot's of cash.

I don't think that the small publishers have the cash needed for being ArmAs publisher.

Well if the game is good enough it will sell itself without huge marketing costs attached. Just look at the press and interest Arma has already attracted almost without any money having yet been spent on advertising.

well they maybe spend money sending placebo all around the world? biggrin_o.gif but thats money well spent cause it gives good Pr for the game. thumbs-up.gif

Ok, germany is first. smile_o.gif

We will test the game for all the others and show you some screenshots. tounge2.gif

---

About the smoke.. I don't like it.

It looks too "realistic" for the rest of the game.

I wait to see it in motion, but there is a reason why I don't use John's Fire & Smoke effects.

MfG Lee wink_o.gif

On that publisher revealed topic, i remember in the end of February, we read Cenega, had Armed Assault on their release calendar for the Czech zone.

So now Placebo confirmed the German zone publisher, can he confirm the Czech one (or has it changed) ?

Quote[/b] ]Ok, germany is first. smile_o.gif

We will test the game for all the others and show you some screenshot

Cool, Germany is a neighbor. It's worth the 4 hours ride. tounge2.gif

The fire effect, but especially the smoke effect looks Call of Duty 2 like. It doesn't look like 'real' smoke, but more a texture going up in the air, hence why I don't like it either.

Rather give me OFP's smoke for ArmA than this one, although I must admit the smoke 'pile' looks rather amazing.

The fire looks a bit fake though, but this should look much better when in motion.

I'm also wondering what's going on with the reloading process in ArmA, does anyone know ?

I'd like to know if you reload you actually remove a magazine from your weapon and put in a new one.

Q4 it is then, eh ?

- Viper

PS:

Quote[/b] ]Cool, Germany is a neighbor. It's worth the 4 hours ride.

Same here (Holland) I'm definately going to get it in Germany if it is released sooner there. I hope there's no issue with the gore and stuff there .. If so, I'll wait some longer.

I never noticed how good ArmA smoke is until d034rk posted thoses screenshots. It is impressive compared to what we were used to and because of that i'm happy with it.

Pic

Looks like the Dragunov is back. (Guy on the left, prone)

Is anyone else annoyed by the two streaks of weird looking smoke in the smoke cloud? It is on the left side of the cloud with another right next to it.

Screenshots look friggin amazing though.

Is anyone else annoyed by the two streaks of weird looking smoke in the smoke cloud? It is on the left side of the cloud with another right next to it.

I'm more concerned by the two soldiers facing in opposite directions looking like headless chickens crazy_o.gif I can just imagine the schene, "Where did that shot come from", "what shot".

Though I don't know if this is an explosion, it might be smoke trails of fragments that are catapulted by an explosion.

Though I don't know if this is an explosion, it might be smoke trails of fragments that are catapulted by an explosion.

Thats true but something still looks off about it.

Sure, it doesn't look good yet, but they have time to fix it and i'm confident they will.

Thats true but something still looks off about it.

Ya, that's plumes of dirt getting tossed.  I'm waiting to see it in action before judging.  I've seen enough RL video that looks the same when freeze-framed.  Think it will be just perfect.

Edit: In RL the dirt and dust initially has a dramatic texture and detail as it is shoved into the air, the leading edges sharply defining the cloud. It quickly loses this when it starts to fall, hangs, and generally mixes. Looks like BIS has it right by the static images.

Did you see the 3 mini-clouds in the middle?

I think it seems like the static cloud textures we knew from johns smoke effects.

I hope I´ll see some ingame footage from the smoke effects tomorrow at GC Germany to tell you something about it.

S.D.

I'm more concerned by the two soldiers facing in opposite directions looking like headless chickens crazy_o.gif I can just imagine the schene, "Where did that shot come from", "what shot".

Or how about "Oh no, we're surrounded!"

I'm more concerned by the two soldiers facing in opposite directions looking like headless chickens  crazy_o.gif I can just imagine the schene, "Where did that shot come from", "what shot".

Were surrounded but we'll just stand here and hope they don't see us..... whistle.gif That would also be a vey bad tactical mistake as you would just end up firing at friendly forces opposite. So i highly doubt there surrounded   tounge2.gif

I'm more concerned by the two soldiers facing in opposite directions looking like headless chickens  crazy_o.gif I can just imagine the schene, "Where did that shot come from", "what shot".

Were surrounded but we'll just stand here and hope they don't see us..... whistle.gif That would also be a vey bad tactical mistake as you would just end up firing at friendly forces opposite. So i highly doubt there surrounded   tounge2.gif

The only smart ones are the sniper (on the left) the guy closest to the truck and possibly the dead guy on the right because they are all lying down.

Maybe a helo has targeted them as two of the soldiers seem to be aiming upwards, including the sniper and also that would account for the facing in opposite directions. I'm not trying to kid myself, honest whistle.gif

I love the smoke! It looks real! I don't see why that is a bad thing....people say it looks like a texture, but what hell else should it look like? A Unicolor grey sprite?

I love the smoke! It looks real! I don't see why that is a bad thing....people say it looks like a texture, but what hell else should it look like? A Unicolor grey sprite?

lol smile_o.gif

I can't see how thats so funny. You will have to agree that displaying 40 small sprites next to each other with the same static textures wouldn't look as odd if the textures were less detailed because they would blend better which each other. IMHO anyways. Same goes for if you put this into a 3D world. Sure if you have a extremly detailed texture(that hopefully is animated at least) now on a big sprite it looks fucking good on a screenshot,but if you circle said smoke and you have the same detailed textures from all sides it looks more odd than if you add a less detailed textured which would make the thing vague,and thus much more believable to look different from all sides even tho it doesn't. Since I am neither a professional graphics artist or programmer what I say has to be taken with a pinch of salt and I am probably completly wrong anyways.

Anyways,in a couple of days we will all find out how amazingly this looks because looking at the last screenshots the smoke is something that is soo hot,that we need to see it hundreds of times smile_o.gif .

Sorry for my waffling, I much rather waffle about actual gameplay and AI,but I think I need to wait for that until the game is out it seems.

EDIT: I might wanna add that this a minor issue and I can play with the current smoke just fine and I rather have BIS focus on gameplay and AI things smile_o.gif