Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

I think it has been stated several times that there will be no enterable buildings.

Um.. I'm pretty sure they said it would be a mix of non-enterable and enterable buildings.

Quite possible, my memory is often quite sub-par. wink_o.gif

Though I must admit being a little sceptical since I have not seen any screenshots of enterable buildings.

You know, actualy removing the magazine isn't present in Counter-Strike:Source, DoD:S, probably not BF2... dividing a weapon in to two models for an animation that you won't even notice while playing is lunacy. confused_o.gif

I would much rather they work on getting muzzle flashes, tanks firing, and explosions just right than messing with this stupid shit that nobody will see unless they have a want to complain about something. mad_o.gif

Once again due to my open mind, my opinion changes and agrees with this person.  whistle.gif

EDIT: Nope, it changes back again, explosions/muzzle flash will be perfected by the community, reloading mags would require one hell of a work-around.

You know, actualy removing the magazine isn't probably present in BF2...

It is. Even when you are reloading when sitting on vehicle. Shame we will do not have that... sad_o.gif

I think it has been stated several times that there will be no enterable buildings.

Um.. I'm pretty sure they said it would be a mix of non-enterable and enterable buildings.

Quite possible, my memory is often quite sub-par. wink_o.gif

Though I must admit being a little sceptical since I have not seen any screenshots of enterable buildings.

Well, you've been missing out.

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=10246

I'll take anything over OFP's "wave your hand somewhat near the gun" type reloading animation!

Totaly unneccisary, but neat. biggrin_o.gif

I do wish they'd spruce up the stuff like tanks firing a little more. It's close, but not quite there.

No game to date has managed to capture the raw FORCE of a main gun firing. The overpressure alone can kill you if you're standing in front of it, for pete sake. tounge2.gif

The muzzle flash should be a quick, violent report, not a lingering fireball.

The smoke boils out fast, but disapates quickly.

Dust kicked up from the ground and off the tank hull lingers for a while. The ground being wet or dry changes how much a tank firing obscures vision a lot.

For example, here's some Challanger IIs firing in muddy conditions:

Notice how there is no large ammount of obscuring dust.

The difference between smoke produced from weapons and dust kicked up is a big thing. It'd be awesome if stuff like that was in ArmA. smile_o.gif

Haven't heard any new sounds yet. The OFP ones were good at the time, but seem pretty darn bad right now. Sounds are something video games rarely get right, anyway.

If BI is still in need of new sound work, these guys know their stuff. smile_o.gif

http://www.sonicvalley.com/

As much as I'm unconcerned about eye candy, the removal of magazines from weapon models is far and away above what I expected, strangely enough. And now.... ahhh, if only I was a Czech.

Yeah...watching these vids has finally made me crack..well..no really,its mostly the thought of possibly never being a US publisher. ah well..theres still the UK!..I hope. Though I think the first thing I'd do is just get into a vehicle and drive around the island...it reminds me much of my past times on Hawaii.

ITs true! (as far as I can see)

I made a little video in slowmo and zoomed in 2x of the reloading:

http://hotshots.folkersma.org/uploads/reloading.avi

The removing is the evidence, putting back looks a bit "sudden". But it seems BIS actually reads this forum smile_o.gif

i relooked and im sure, it removed <s>weapon</s> mag. use slow motion wink_o.gif

I hope you're right, I really do.

hang me if im wrong!

BIS can even BAN me if this info is not correct. wink_o.gif

<s>edit: shouldn't he trow the empty mag to the ground instead?</s>

Haven't heard any new sounds yet. The OFP ones were good at the time, but seem pretty darn bad right now. Sounds are something video games rarely get right, anyway.

Placebo said something like 99% of sounds are new ... everything except a few environmental ones (birds, insects, etc). Search the forum, it was posted a few days ago.

There are also some (<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>visual bugs</span>) that need to be fixed/handled:

* shadows of trees/houses/etc don't appear in the uaz while 1st person view selected and monted. (shadows in 1st person view dont seem to exist in own body, hands dont get darker with shadow)

* the reflection of houses, trees etc do not appear in the uaz's window like clowds do.

* Shadows of trees do not seem to wave while same trees moves.

* When player gets out of vehicle he still falls from sky.

* Explosions, smoke do not seem to have shadows.

* Chopper got upside down while been saboted by a t72.

* Radio antennas do not wave while vehicle moves. (they are just a stick there)

if some one notice more unfished things plz mention.

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>Hope BIS can fix all these errors. Hope its possible.</span>

hi about tank muzzle flashes..in this SFP mod trailer video to OFP i think they got the tank muzzle flash very good  in that mod..an swedish Leopard 2 S firing... nice music too..

link to the movie..look at 3:00 min and forward..size 47 MB DL

http://files.filefront.com/Swedish....fo.html

pistols.gif  over and out

Flyfinn

Bravo, there are lots of visual bugs in my opinion but i think we all want this game to be released as soon as posible, lets BIS fix these small visual bugs later with patches, the overal impresion affter watching ingame movies is stuning ! I will buy this game on sight and then wait for BIS and community to fix some unfinished stuff and upgrade the game thumbs-up.gif

PS. Speaking about visual bugs.... i just hate left hand holding the rifle ( north forces soldier, without gloves) it looks just horrible, and thumb doesnt touch a weapon, it looks very unnatural. But i can live with it even if noone will fix it wink_o.gif

There are also some (<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>visual bugs</span>) that need to be fixed/handled:

* shadows of trees/houses/etc don't appear in the uaz while 1st person view selected and monted. (shadows in 1st person view dont seem to exist in own body, hands dont get darker with shadow)

* the reflection of houses, trees etc do not appear in the uaz's window like clowds do.

* Shadows of trees do not seem to wave while same trees moves.

* When player gets out of vehicle he still falls from sky.

* Explosions, smoke do not seem to have shadows.

* Chopper got upside down while been saboted by a t72.

* Radio antennas do not wave while vehicle moves. (they are just a stick there)

if some one notice more unfished things plz mention.

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>Hope BIS can fix all these errors. Hope its possible.</span>

The reflections on the UAZ window is probably a defined map that oes not include reflections of buildings or it was not shown at angles to see the reflections.

Radio antennas may just be still,deal with it.

What are you talking about with the vehicle?

"i will buy the game aswell", infact i already "bought it".

it was preordered by a friend and i already payed for it so i assume i bought it theorically..

..anyways,

Quote[/b] ]What are you talking about with the vehicle?

when player disembark he fall from sky, just notice in the recent video.

in some old videos when Ais/players disembarked from chopper they would fall from sky near the top rotor.

i think that answered your question(?)

Flyfinn: That is awesome. The ammo cooking off from that destroyed tank, the muzzle flash, the camera shake when near heavy weapons fire, the ejected casings from the AA vehicle - all excelent. Mods will definantly improve on ArmA, the more of this stuff it has out of the box, the beter. smile_o.gif

450R: Thank you for clarifying that.

Oh I think I see..you mean the poxy being above the vehicle so they get out out above the door and such..though if somebody bailed out of a helicopter in air,wouldn't they move to the rotor by default?

Oh I think I see..you mean the poxy being above the vehicle so they get out out above the door and such..though if somebody bailed out of a helicopter in air,wouldn't they move to the rotor by default?

yes thats the movement.

i believe and have hopes that bis will add a small animation to that action (disembarking, ejecting and entering vehicles).

do not underestimate BIS and the power of the engine!

PLZ fix all these smile_o.gif

hi

Yes kaiserpanda i was "blown away" too when i saw that trailer..too bad there is not so many missions to SFP mod

MPmission most..havent found any campains either..

i just started to play OFP again to get in the mood for this kind of game before AA is goming out.

link to the mod..

german link

http://ofpc.de/index.xhtml?von=&cat=mods

swedish link with latest patch..

http://swepack.game-host.org/index.p....ct&id=7

over and out

Flyfinn

Quote[/b] ]* shadows of trees/houses/etc don't appear in the uaz while 1st person view selected and monted. (shadows in 1st person view dont seem to exist in own body, hands dont get darker with shadow)

For all you know the shadow settings might not be on full.

Quote[/b] ]* the reflection of houses, trees etc do not appear in the uaz's window like clowds do.

This has been brought up before, what you are expecting is dynamic reflections which is a waste of CPU and Video card resources for such a large scale game. Reflection maps on such shiny objects is the way to go, even most car racing games still use this method.

Quote[/b] ]* Shadows of trees do not seem to wave while same trees moves.

Well it could be the result of unfished code or possibly delibrately made like that for FPS reasons on such a large scale game.

Quote[/b] ]* Explosions, smoke do not seem to have shadows.

Shadows from smoke and explosions is not needed, do you even think of what would happen having such effects when your in a large scale battle with many explosions and smoke every where. If you want these effects then you should play a corridor shooter.

Quote[/b] ]* Radio antennas do not wave while vehicle moves. (they are just a stick there)

I'm sure this could be animated but if not big deal, this is like what I read about the drivers arms not moving when moving the steering wheel. A lot of racing games dont even have such features, it's going to make no difference at all during gameplay.

well if none of this is necessary lets all keep and stay with OFP. I play it every night..

lets say NO to evolution and improvment then.. ( ?! ) smile_o.gif

i understand what you guys are trying to say, but small details give away the best of a game.

Theres no doubt about it that ARMA will be the best game ever for me. The game is better and better in every new video.

like i said:

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>Do not underestimate BIS and the Power of the Engine!</span> wink_o.gif

(be ambitious, like Maruk once said)

edit: ARMA optimization seem and look to have the green light in every new video

There always comes a time in developing a game where you have to stop adding new features and finish off the final product for release otherwise we would be waiting for ever and BIS wouldn't make any money to continue on in future. BIS allready said that they would still work on the game after the Czech and German release etc, so who knows what will be added between the end of this month and Febuary next year for the bigger 505 games release.

Hi guys,

some new info about the upcoming sp and mp demo?

a possible release date or something?

it be a nice thing, if placebo can give a liddle direction

to a release date!

greetz, kev