Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

Yea... for instance.

Then we have alot to consider when placebo gets back.

The thread I posted in was for FlashNews, so obviously the "special" is FlashNews related smile_o.gif

Now look what you have started Placebo.... These cryptic clues are making everyone think the demo is ready to be released... But being a Flash News special... I would be leaning towards more videos...

Have we got a time frame for this "special" .. Week ? Month ?

It seems the surprise would have been better left unsaid.

The conspiracy's are running already. Maybe it's a joint deal with Mattel to add the Barbie Corvette, and Ken in his Guici camo wink_o.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

Does anyone know if the weapons & iron sights seen in the latest pics are new ones or just placeholders from some VSB1 module? I know the PKM is, but what about the rest?

Quote[/b] ]General

Armed Assault tries to reach the mainstream more than OFP did, but it will also satisfy hardcore OFP Fans.

Change of characters is confirmed now: you can play all soldiers who are set "playable" in SP now, too. If you only set one soldier "playable", you can't change characters.

Multiple Gunner Positions are confirmed, too: any amount of turrets is possible.

3D optics are implemented.

PBOs are signed from now on to prevent from serverside cheating in MP.

Documentations about the engine are planned to be released before the game itself.

Also planned is a Wiki with Informaion by BIS and the community (planned Launch: within 100th FlashNews).

A BI-developed vegetation generator, called Linda, is producing varied and realistic vegetation without any handcraft.

We saw trees shaking with the wind.

Collision is pretty much overworked.

AI is able to drive on one side of the roads.

Normal Mapping, HDRR (High Dynamic Range Rendering), Detail Mapping, 2nd-UV-Set.

The weapon system has been split, Magazines are now in an own class in the config.

Mission Editing

No elementary changes on the editor.

Missions are now packed in addon PBOs.

Mission wizard from OFP:Elite.

Scripts are compiled during the first execution and stay in the memory.

SQFs have been improved and enhanced.

Differentiation between strings ("string" ) and code ({code}).

Many new scripting commands, for example "switch".

Library of all vehicles and weapons with all necessary information (3D preview).

Multiplayer

No player limit, the only limit is the server's bandwidth.

Linux- and Windows-server supported (Linux maybe a bit delayed).

Voice over IP: No external programme like TS required, it's working OFP internal how the Chat (also on Sockets).

Join in Progress (you can disable it via server lock)

Addon Making

Conversion of addons should be easy, but the objecty have to be adapt.

Model config is attached to each addon.

Names of selections can be user defined.

You can attach several animations to one selection (e.g. gear animations).

Animations are directly made with the model and can be viewed in Bulldozer.

New animation: "Translation".

Tools as O2 or Visitor are going to be released before ArmA.

Models have a skeleton as basis (in the model config).

Materials can be configured (wood, steel, etc).

"Certified Content Developers" will probably supported by BI in a special way and will get more information plus answers to their questions; also they get the signatures for their PBOs.

Improved support of import from 3DS Max and Maya.

Probably you can use different camos on one modell.

Theoretical infinite size of islands possible (thanks to streaming, which was developed for OFP:E).

Cellgrid was already tested with 5m-tiles.

BIS-internal tools

To create a more realistic flora, BI is using an only for that developed tool called "Linda". But it is not probable that this generator is going to be released publicly.

Satellite data can be loaded into the game with information on colors and elevation.

Tools are using the same scriptengine as the gameengine does

And... the most important thing: the release is scheduled for the 3rd quarter 2006, if the publisher doesn't change it.

whistle.gif because the faq editor aint about lately, thought i would post a where were upto type thing. smile_o.gif.

Thats an interesting thing, AI driving on one side of the road. Do you reckon that means we can have islands where they drive on the left too?

Thats an interesting thing, AI driving on one side of the road. Do you reckon that means we can have islands where they drive on the left too?

Maybe the roads have 2 'paths'. so if you create a new road and put the right path on the left and left on the right, then it would be like england... tounge2.gif

But this is only guessing ofcourse wink_o.gif

Maybe the roads have 2 'paths'. so if you create a new road and put the right path on the left and left on the right, then it would be like england...  tounge2.gif

... All of UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Japan, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Malaysia, Indonesia, most countries in south Africa and a few others!  wink_o.gif

All the rest drive on the Wrong side of the road!  tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]And... the most important thing: the release is scheduled for the 3rd quarter 2006, if the publisher doesn't change it.

If the publ... did i miss something or are we about to get great news? smile_o.gif .

man that`s old  crazy_o.gif ^

They didn`t have a bublisher back then, they don`t have one right now since the latest press relase said it`s TBA...

but well, this whole new press relase has some...bugs in it...

man that`s old crazy_o.gif ^

They didn`t have a bublisher back then, they don`t have one right now since the latest press relase said it`s TBA...

but well, this whole new press relase has some...bugs in it...

Hmm, yep better not to start false rumors based on a not so well written sentence sad_o.gif .

I thought I'd better post this here, as it's regarding ArmA's progress..  Guys, for a reality check, I did (and strongly hope you all do) a current-work, side by side comparison between ArmA and any released, or soon to be released product (on your own as I'm too tired/lazy to post any of the 10 or so of my research links  nener.gif).  The latest thread (although prob. soon to be locked) from BF2 players asking about ArmA shocked me into doing this.  And I am amazed.  I have been comparing ArmA with my memory of these games, and I can't believe how off I was.  A am now firmly convinced ArmA shall rule for some time to come on many facets- including graphics.

People have said this will be a BF2 killer (I know, not right to compare the two, but still), I now believe them.

@ BIS:   notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif  yay.gif  inlove.gif

BTW: IMHO, Krysis is not truly in this genre. So lets not go there... Yet  biggrin_o.gif

Arma will not be a BF2 killer. BF2 has its own fanbase and its own style of play. Also the graphics while much better than ofp are not next gen graphics. That being said I personally believe it will be the best game ever, but I doubt many BF2 players will be dropping BF2 for Arma.

Even if EA keeps releasing beta or well "untested" patches? tounge2.gif

TBH I don't believe MANY BF2 players will adopt ArmA, most of them will go ETQW or BF2142 because of the arcade type of gameplay.

I can compare this situation to a Mod for BF2 - Project Reality - completely different gameplay, strive for realism, slower pace, no ramboing possible.

Not SO many played it or liked it, nonetheless those that did were mostly the mature and friendly part of the community smile_o.gif

Hopefully bunny hoopers will stay in BF2 and similiar arcade crap... ArmA for dedicated, our team will definitely award serious milsimers and punish players that don't respect teamplay, tactics, etc.

Hopefully bunny hoopers will stay in BF2 and similiar arcade crap...

Hehe agreed with that. I always hated that kind of games tounge2.gif

I think they said there might be a type of jumping but only in the form of over obstacles,like a hotkey or 'menu' option when near an obstacle,but not jumping in just anywhere.

Quote[/b] ] (I know, not right to compare the two, but still),

Yeah, I know.  What my allergy medicine was trying to say, is that there's so much more possibility with the ground cover, hell the engine in general that the mods we'll be seeing will be much more photorealistic and capable than in the past.  I can't wait to see what the building pathways for AI will be like (have some models started), and the placement, type and exclusion properties for the ground cover - if they are configurable, I'm going to get some regional undergrowth and dense swamp plantlife into ArmA (If it doesn't exist already). If ground geometry can be closely controlled emplacements and fortifications of slopes become much more interesting.  I can imagine standard slopes or depression profiles that will allow 'sunken' - not quite below ground installations that some of us discussed for OFP years ago, but the collision detection did not permit such things.  I just had a moment where I saw what was coming and decided to post on it.  smile_o.gif

Edit: The BF2 killer thingy was about overall quality/capability and enjoyment factors- including graphics, as some people were knocking ArmA's graphics, and I let that alter my perception of BIS's work unrealistically.

I still dont see how the graphics are bad,I think their just blind or something,seriously.