Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

Quote[/b] ]can anyone tell me why the "?" icon appears in the middle of the screen?

Looks like a placeholder icon to me.

Quote[/b] ]also the "gear" text and some other crappy icons/text, right in the middle of the screen.. thats just stupid.

Uh, ok. Why don't you withhold judgement until you've actually learned what they're for, how they work, and what they add to the experience?

Quote[/b] ]Don't let them be in the gold version.

If they're useful, and I'm sure they are, I hope they're in the final release.

Quote[/b] ]I hate it and i bet more people thinks thats just stupid.. Its the playstation style. arf

Uh, no. It's an improved interface. Flashpoint desperately needs an improved interface, and ArmA seems to be doing just that. You seem to be deathly afraid of change, and quite critical and negative about ArmA.

can anyone tell me why the "?" icon appears in the middle of the screen?

It really didnt come to your mind that its something which isnt finished yet? rofl.gif

The animations are very impressive , really life like as advertised.

Once the fast crawl and sprint anims will be slowed down in their execution (i think WGL5.1 got the perfect speed for the sprint speed) , it would be nearly perfect.

And why so much nitpicking lately ? does Armed Assault is such an awfull experience if the finger near the trigger is not animated ?

Personnally, i would prefer to see the last hours of development being spent on the AI behaviours and on the performance optimisations regarding system requirement / debug sessions instead of very very very very minor details like this one.

i wonder how crap would be arma if BIS was listening only people saying how very nice, awesome, perfect were arma first versions.

-yes,

-maybe,

-hope not,

-maybe your right, im afraid of change.. (i afraid it turns into a 16 year old children's program).

I try not to be negative but points of view could be usefull.(?)

-yes it crossed my mind, but but buut.. inlove.gif

edit: as i said the animations are really really improved since the last 4 months. Im sure they will be GOLD soon. All we want is the best from this game im sure, specially the core vet fans! (<span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%'>not me, im a noob (coff coff)</span>)

by the way whats the average of age you think that will trully play ARMA and will play it for years?

i would say 30.

"young" people will play too but "old" people will have it in the blood, keep that im mind.

30 is way to old I'd say the average age would be 21.

LoL and I'm 15, I discovered (was saved by) OFP before I was in my teens.

It is clearly noticable in the French Mr.Banana video, that sprinting of enemy is too fast. Again, inertion is missing, so you actually don't know in which way person will go, which makes aiming quite silly. As you can notice, player misses a lot of shots with CQB even just 10m away - that is not acceptable for military sim huh.gif

The head position is always fixed while he is running in the video. wink_o.gif

No people can run withought his head shaking. On the contrary, people just fix where he sees by adjusting eyes movement while running. smile_o.gif

Um... to me it seemed that they didn't miss all too many shots, and the ones they did miss came from full auto. It seemed quite good, I thought.

I'd be concerned about how they didn't even get fired at once in retaliation, but then again the improved AI was not present in that version.

Almost all people i played OFP (real/nice coops) with they had 33 age average, by now they must be 35, 36 years old. Also know some nice lads that have 40 years old and more and keep playing it and still moding it wink_o.gif

The spirit of team work becomes more mature and interesting. Some times its only possible with "older" people (unfortunatly)

So my point is, there are more grown men (23-45 and more) playing this OFP game (and will play ARMA) with their heart and head then teenagers (16-19).

i don't know exctly the words i should use but ill try this way,

BIS should do ARMA more like an "agressive, core" game then a fansy game for teenagers with less then 18 years old. I don't want to be rude and i hope i don't ofend anyone but thats my point of view.

I know there will be lots of servers, wich will have their own way/style to play this awsome game.

Im afraid ARMA becomes a childish game because BIS wants and wishes that this game covers almost all kinda ages, starting with 16 years old stage.

Plz, do this game for grown men.

ps- Would be nice to have the official statistics on this forum of whom play OFP. Does that exist?

=) Never played OFP v1.00 or earlier versions? These were also very incomplete and somewhat unrealistic as you could enter a car from 5m distance, couldn't move at all while reloading, LAW/RPGs went in almost straight line to target, AKs has burst and such... tounge2.gif . But the ultimate upgrades fixed that after game release, atleast in europe.

I think it is actually rather irrelevant how 'gamey' ArmA will be. If it will help attract new players (i.e. increase revenues), so much the better. As Berghoff mentioned, original OFP, and especially the earlier versions, was quite gamey and unrealistic. As long as BIS provides the community with equally good or even better mod tools as it did with OFP, all will be well and such gems like WGL will improve the gameplay. Think about it: noone is playing stock OFP anymore; it's the mods that keep the game alive.

As to the age thing: it's true that on average older players are more mature (how surprising!wink_o.gif. Still, that is no reason for BIS to focus on an older (and smaller) target audience. They need to make money on this game! Stock ArmA will be pretty unrealistic, just like OFP. The mods will change that, and automatically segregate the community. If you want a quick 'n dirty game, you'll play Hexenkessel 2.762 on a public server. If you want organised, realistic games, you'll join a clan and play something like WGL with a select group of people. We all seem to think that the current, hard-core OFP community is representative of the people who have been playing MP OFP in the past five years. This is simply not true. Joining a public server in those days meant playing with/against G36-totin', impatient rambo's. Remember Hexenkessel, Battlefields 1985 and all those other lame CTF's, C&H's and TDM's, which had absolutely nothing to do with realistic gameplay and/or cooperation? Those missions dominated the servers back then, and I think that the cycle will repeat itself with ArmA.

It is BIS' responsibility to make a game which appeals to a large enough audience to generate significant revenues. It is the responsibility of serious gamers to organise themselves and mod away in order to create that realistic gameplay experience we all crave for bladi.gif

=) Never played OFP v1.00 or earlier versions? These were also very incomplete and somewhat unrealistic as you could enter a car from 5m distance, couldn't move at all while reloading, LAW/RPGs went in almost straight line to target, AKs has burst and such...  tounge2.gif . But the ultimate upgrades fixed that after game release, atleast in europe.

...actually you still could'nt move while reloading in OFPv1.96.

Also in the original you couln't run while kneeling down (you had to stand up again first).

I think it is save to assume that the out-of-the-box-ArmA is what should appeal to the majority of buyers.

All this hard-core stuff just isn't releavant to newbies if the out-of-the-box-Arma (the game you will buy in the store) isn't 'good'

For me the playlist is as follows:

1. Out-of-the-box-ArmA (meaning campaign)

2. Mission Editor (meaning my own missions)

3. Mods

So don't discard step 1. Imho it is what newbies will do AND essential to BIS and the profits they hope to make.

Edit: So, yes, in the long run step 3 is essential, but the base has (again) to be established by vanilla-ArmA.

You know what i wish smile_o.gif always when someone nitpick about animations ...

he should post "real" movement video synced with ArmAs video ...

that shows the "issue" in best way

btw. i'm not trying to degrade some opinions, there is always place to improve anims ...

I started playing Flashpoint when I was 13/14 and now I'm 18, thats a pretty big chunk of my life! wow_o.gif

And for the record I can't stand big mass produced BF2 style corporate brain mush, always been into stuff like OFP and IL2 etc.

Realism all the way.

the movement animation video is good. - nice to see real movements in a game.

only issue might be that (imho) the crawling speed is too fast, and there was a little jump between that animation and the one to stand upright again, maybe the two animations need tieing together better.

the running man's front leg looked a little straight too, but i guess thats due to the motion capture haven taken place on a treadmill or similar.

Started playing OFP when I was 19. I remember trying to get my peers to play the game. Had to do a lot of "herding" to get them used to the non-quake play.

LANS became like bootcamp. "No, you can't bunny hop", "One shot WILL kill you".

Sigh, those were the days.

Almost all people i played OFP (real/nice coops) with they had 33 age average, by now they must be 35, 36 years old. Also know some nice lads that have 40 years old and more and keep playing it and still moding it wink_o.gif

The spirit of team work becomes more mature and interesting. Some times its only possible with "older" people (unfortunatly)

So my point is, there are more grown men (23-45 and more) playing this OFP game (and will play ARMA) with their heart and head then teenagers (16-19).

i don't know exctly the words i should use but ill try this way,

BIS should do ARMA more like an "agressive, core" game then a fansy game for teenagers with less then 18 years old. I don't want to be rude and i hope i don't ofend anyone but thats my point of view.

I know there will be lots of servers, wich will have their own way/style to play this awsome game.

Im afraid ARMA becomes a childish game because BIS wants and wishes that this game covers almost all kinda ages, starting with 16 years old stage.

Plz, do this game for grown men.

ps- Would be nice to have the official statistics on this forum of whom play OFP. Does that exist?

Your logic is somewhat... illogical.

Think about what you're saying - "teenagers" will buy the game, play it and get bored with it, no matter what the interface is like. Those more "mature" players will stick with it. So whats the problem?

The only thing that really bothers me about the original OFP is the weird animations... this is lessened but not altogether diminished by the 'after-market' animations, as the soldiers seem to jog with one shoulder cocked back in a very unnatural manner. oh, and then there is the sound effects... and then there's the texture seams all over the soldiers... and the weird option to have tracers for all weapons that was previously not an option... and... and... and you know what? I still play it. It's awesome. In fact, with various addons which fix varying degrees of the above gripes, I play it pretty much to the exclusion of everything else (with the exception of the il2 series on the PC). I play all kinds of games off and on, I love the racing genre on the consoles and Fable is the cat's ass, but this is the one that I keep playing inspite of its flaws. I think that the game's strengths make it what it is, not its flaws.

Yeah. I really don't mind as long as I have it, and there are people willing to download the missions I make and the addons I... tweak/borrow/don't model.

maxqubit Got it right! We all were green with OFP... Years of playing/modding has rised OFP to what it is! Best FPS ever created. Hard-core guys can set their own servers with others like them (those who see red, when word newbie/arcade is mentioned) they can design missions fast after release as missioneditor is same as in OFP, while newbies need time and motivation to get know ArmA. Hard-core guys can make it in middle of newbies as they know each-of-others and they have already groups formed, but newbies can't make it in middle of Hard-core guys, if they aren't given a change by BIS.

What makes OFP unrealistic? Missions, even if weaponspecs and all other are tweaked as realistic as possible, but unrealism in mission destroys everything else. For OFP there is lots of missions which are designed to be fun and hard shoot'em up, and those can get good points from players (there are lots of arcade guys inside OFP community... WATCH YOU BACK! smile_o.gif ). I've played realistic mission with Deltaforce (the game before millenium), Medal of Humor-series etc... Their engine isn't desiged to "simulate" realism, but still some missions holds key elements which makes it feel "real", same goes with OFP. And mission is only thing that keeps game in some level of realism, was the game designed to be shoot'em up or simulator...

the nice thing with OFP was, that ur able to make every Game-Mode u like with the scripts.

and so im sure it will be the same with ArmA!

i think nobody knows how many different game-modes exists for OFP.

The ArmA-Mission-Editor will have more functions than the OFP-Editor got, so we can expect quite more different game-modes than back in OFP.

Im really looking forward to play every day a new map in ArmA!

There will be enough realistic maps and unrealistic fun maps! inlove.gif