Sign in to follow this  
Llauma

Head model/Face textures

I restarted my head project. I made a new head from scratch and the main model itself is close to finished but I would prefer it to have VBS1 style textures instead of the original OFP textures which are quite bad. Me and Hardrock have been testing gizmo mapping which looks far better than the front/side/back texturing OFP uses but if I decide to use gizmo mapping we need new face textures.

So the plan is to make at least 20 new face textures and release it as a replacement pack for OFP heads and faces but I will need some people helping me out as the project is quite big. It involves texturing, skinning and model editing so if you have any of those skills I'll gladly accept the help. If you know where to get good head pics (front, side and back) it would be great.

If you are skilled at modelling and think you can improve the head just PM me and I'll send it to you.

The replacement pack could contain new hands too if someone knows any good ones.

Here's a pic of the untextured head.. It has 600 faces right now which is less then I had aimed for. It still needs some tweaking so any contructive criticism would be helpful.

headbeta7je.jpg

...and here's the original OFP head which has 289 faces, so you got something to compair with:

bishead8jp.jpg

Definately a great improvement over the old head model, very nice so far smile_o.gif

Wonder how it will be with texture.

Good work, keep it up. smile_o.gif

Llauma nice work it will be a great improvment for OFP and a much needed one I might add.

Check out RHS most recent release,they also modified the head a touch and has probably the best new hands released to the public,maybe they might help,I am not sure but I think it was Laser that made the head and hands for them.

And the best unreleased work up to date was performed by Invasion '44,they are all great guys and they could help you if any of them has the time to spare(Marcel more exactly as I think he is the texturer)

great model, both thumbs up from me!

but what´s gizmo mapping ? and will face textures be the same as in vbs (clicky) ?  rock.gif

Hi,

For Gizmo mapping:

Ofpec tutorial

Figures using yet another new head model are worked on:

International infantry 2 head model

For now the texture mapping uses the original setup for OFP models, but volunteers for creating a different setup would be most welcome. It might be useful to define and use a common standard between the various new head projects.

Regards,

Sander

wot about that one?

http://img207.echo.cx/img207/6320/icansee9fy.jpg

(no its NOT a vbs1 head... its a custom head i made for the uap)

ive wanted to help u out llauma

coop with my uap but u never said anything....

:P

ps. dont mind the vbs1 background the unit will be aswell available for ofp..

cheers

pps..

llaume the head model u made is good

only the chin part (speciall aroud the mouth) seems wrong

u have to buldge out the region aside of the lip corners

Check out RHS most recent release,they also modified the head a touch and has probably the best new hands released to the public,maybe they might help,I am not sure but I think it was Laser that made the head and hands for them.

Those heads/hands were made by Our weapons mod for their mi26 pilots wink_o.gif .

The head looks good, it will problably look too good for the BIS soldier models but for everything else it would be cool. Its too bad liquid snake isnt around anymore, he made great looking face skins.

Just to clear a few things up..

The project plans to change all the original OFP units heads and face textures. I'm not sure how many different models there are but it shouldn't take too long to fix that. We wont be able to change all the heads in user made addons but I think we can with some teamwork change at least the popular ones.

As I want the custom faces to work just as they do now there a a few obstacles we need to get past:

If people with the old model/textures plays with someone with the new ones they will see the other guys custom face mapped wrong. A solution is to make the pack an addon so if a player wants to join a server which uses the new heads they will need to have it too. This will also mean that all custom face textures wont fit so we need to create a pack worth it. The final result will allow people to create much nicer custom faces as the sides will be unique and you dont have to try to match the sides with the front when making camo's etc.

About the VBS1 textures..

I don't have the permition to use them but I'll ask just to be sure that we can copy the texture layout from VBS1. I will try to map the face with the texture Mr Burns posted so you'll see how it can look like but I wont be able to release it.

I PM:d Sander about the idea of a standard texture layout for new heads. We can never have enough of different head models but the textures should look the same.

@Nephilim..

Yes I noticed that the guy has a slight underbite. I'll try to adjust it.

Hi, i think that the nose on that new head model it's too fat; at least in the latest LSR De/Ra & RHS units it looks too fat, making that the old mapped textures look weird and u can't almost recon the face texture; i use a modded by myself, Black-o-bitch face texture (from the Wolfestein or something) and it's almost unrecognizable; same with many other custom face textures. To me the nose looks to fat; apart of that... the hands and the head model itself looks very well done. Let's cu

Hi, i think that the nose on that new head model it's too fat; at least in the latest LSR De/Ra & RHS units it looks too fat, making that the old mapped textures look weird and u can't almost recon the face texture; i use a modded by myself, Black-o-bitch face texture (from the Wolfestein or something) and it's almost unrecognizable; same with many other custom face textures. To me the nose looks to fat; apart of that... the hands and the head model itself looks very well done. Let's cu

Yes, the lsr rangers got quite fat noses, but otherwise they are good. This head has nothing to do with the lsr head model.

Yes, the lsr rangers got quite fat noses, but otherwise they are good. This head has nothing to do with the lsr head model.

I would go into such details as nose width as it is obvious that you can expect a lot different type of noses around peoplewise.

The only "parameter" for it should be "human-like".

i got a "roman" nose.......romin all over me face :P

anyway this project is much needed in the comunnity i for one look forward to it smile_o.gif

i got a "roman" nose.......romin all over me face :P

anyway this project is much needed in the comunnity i for one look forward to it smile_o.gif

Any chance to show a picture of your nose tounge_o.gif

woot i got a fan, i aint worried about hiding behind the net, im me and not afraid to show it smile_o.gif hehe

I did a quick test using the VBS1 texture and gizmo mapping to check out how it could look..

headvbstex6xx.jpg

Keep in mind though that I can't release it with this texture, but hopefully the new ones will be as good.

looks very detailed, that is almost a masterpiece smile_o.gif

hope you can reach those textures with your own ones, but i am sure you will even make betters smile_o.gif

perhaps his head is a little too tall? either its the model or the angle, but that face seems too tall...

3586676.jpg

he also seems to lack any kind of substantial jaw... dont get me wrong, its a stunning model and face, but just looks too thin or something... its hard to put my finger on it exactly sad_o.gif

perhaps his head is a little too tall? either its the model or the angle, but that face seems too tall...

http://images.ibsys.com/2004/0728/3586676.jpg

he also seems to lack any kind of substantial jaw... dont get me wrong, its a stunning model and face, but just looks too thin or something... its hard to put my finger on it exactly  sad_o.gif

Yes it's too tall.. It's because of the odd screen resolution I had when I took it. I have made the jaw wider but one the reason why it looks smaller is because the texture is slightly bigger than the model when I textured it.

As I said any contructive criticism is welcome.. It's hard to be objective when judging your own model.

yeah... u can see it better on your avatar... i think squash it down a tad, and it would be pretty much perfect smile_o.gif

Are you going to use only 1 head model and apply different face textures or maybe tweak some of the model a bit to represent a variety common in people , after all not everyone is perfectly carved as that pic biggrin_o.gif , i'd like a few variances as well would be good for the pack as they wouldnt all otherwise look the same facial bone wise.