Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Flashpoint Community Hardware Specs.

I voted web form, but a little application (the way it was described ... just generating a text file we have to e-mail in) would be pretty good too. My reason for picking web-based was to do all my computers at once, including the one at home, which is on horribly slow dialup. But I guess with the program I could run it on all the machines, collect the files, and then e-mail them from one computer on broadband. Which is fine by me smile_o.gif

im gonna go with web form, because the small app with the emaild .txt would probably be alot of work for bis to handle, so unless they have enough time money and manpower to sift through all the submissions, it would take too much work. give the boys at BIS a break, so they can focus on work for their game projects wink_o.gif

hmm i see your point...

sift thru 2000 txt files... or sort thru 2000 html files

no matter how u do it.. its the same work in the end for them.wheither they download 8 megs of html files from thier web server or download 8 megs of txt files from that same web server. . . its still 8 megs of files they need to go thru.

the differnce is... the txt file would include the exact name make and model of the hardware u have.. easy to read

web form would have submissions like "graphics card: gfx 5600" and BIS goes "oh he has a 128 meg card.. ok when in reality the submiter had a 256 meg card and failed to mention that... "motherboard: intel something or another" now that doesnt tell BIS a damn thing... now they have to GUESS what u have which is alot more work then looking at an exact file that has all the specifications of the exact make and model.

i know i keep pushing the application.. but only becuz im trying to save BIS from getting nowhere. after the 5th webform with the "i dont know" answer on it.. BIS is gonna realize they are back to square one with not knowing ANYONEs specificatons. plus... a webform says you have this graphics card installed... but what version drivers do you have for it? whats the make and model number of your motherboard? anyone can give them the basic answer... but they dont need a basic "i have a gf4 card and a intel motherboard" they need details. so we can take 3 months to figure out a webform was a abd idea... and 3 more months to re-do this test with the application putting OFP2 pushed back 6 months more and now we're back to square one.

I voted for the small application, but actually anything is fine to me. Whatever I can do to help BIS in any way, I'm in.

A small app should give you more info, but you could always get the webform to add the dxdiagnostic file - that should also give you most of the info and keep the form small enough as most info is in the DirectX Diagnostic Output file.

Application all the way.Ah Hotshot said I trust BIS more than....someone who I trust.

Even as Pappy said I would give out more useful info and statictics would come up much clearer.

As far as I'm concerned I probably won't buy new machine till OFP 2 comes out.

OFP wasn't one of those bestsellers that went out like EA Games cra* that isn't half good as the OFP.IMHO you could make a game look nice AND keep the preformance on low-end machines like mine.From my experience a decent looking texture can make better visual effect than extra 10 faces.

I just hope this isn't an information collection on witch BIS will decide to go with NVidia or ATi,and even if BIS is thinking about it,it would be way unfair to the OFP fans that have the other brand and can't play/have good preformance on the rival card etc.IMHO it would even cut the sales in half because users of the "other" brand would refuse to pay more money on more upgrades.

Off-topic:

As I noticed Devs pay a lot of attention to this topic and I would suggest for them to lead some kind of Developers Diary in witch we all could get fresh info on our favourite games progress, and not to hide the game until release like those EA bast****.

Yes, a .plan would be nice too.

The problem with having a web app do the scanning is the wonders and joys of remote activeX controls doing a colonoscopy on your computer over the internet, to get 'reliable' data. Done right, a mini-app will dump out a machine-readable XML or something file that won't need to be hand-entered into the Echoelan Bohemia servers.

With a web app, either you force a list of values to choose from, which may not be applicable in some cases, or you make the users dig out the details when they can't quote their video card's serial id and revision number off the top of their head.

True but as Ondrej (Suma for all you ingorants) said you can edit the text file to suit your liking. wink_o.gif

True but as Ondrej (Suma for all you ingorants) said you can edit the text file to suit your liking.

Did I? I do not think so. I think what I said is you can review it. I really prefer to get reliable and accurate data correct now rather than unreliable future data.

Aye aye chief!

So did you guys decide? I too want to find out what machines are OFP Fans using.

hmm, i think both is usless for my system, because i can´t say what kind of system i have at release. maybe an amd athlon fx with dualcore smile_o.gif or an opteron in a dualboard. and i think i will have a nvidia with sli or an actually ati. there is more then one year we have to wait. i hope there will be a 64 bit and multicpu support in ofp 2 for client and server smile_o.gif

BuRNeR @ Oct. 31 2004,23:57)]hmm, i think both is usless for my system, because i can´t say what kind of system i have at release.

As has been said a number of times we don't want to know what hardware you will have in the future, we want to know your current specs smile_o.gif

ok, my fault.

i thought you need the data for ofp 2.

i did vote, but i still want 64 bit and multicpu support for ofp 2 wink_o.gif

hmm, maybe u did finished the work earlierer smile_o.gif

or we will see another addon like resisstance  biggrin_o.gif

we will see

cya

BuRNeR

maybe something to base the minimum system specs on? if they anticipate the average OFP player has a 1 GHZ machine but we all have 1.5 GHZ's (or say we have biggrin_o.gif ) they will allow the game to have more CPU usage for AI...

and if you're not comfy with lying about your specs: the BIS guy's will get a hi end rig too! for testing! ya know! tounge_o.gif

App thingy gets my vote. Run it, it does all the nasty hard work of getting the data and opening your email programme (my god such a tough thing to do... as opposed to typing in a url after opening ie/firefox/whatever, clicking links, filling page 1 in, then click next, or submit with all your details, which can be wrong or useless as said before (by just saying AMD Athlon for eg without the rest like XP 2600+ 333 FSB))... after that.... click send! And POOF it's done!

Soo... when can we see a form to fill out? I am eager to help out BIS.

An active control in my eyes would be the tool of choice.

Hoz

I generally dont like anything that collects information about my computer - i say NO !

I think every OFP-Player is able to fill out a web based formular

about his hardware specs. I am sure that most of them will tell the correct information , no lies about everyone has a 3,6Ghz P4 , GF6800GT/X800XT , 2 Gigs of RAM Monster ... !?

What i really dont like is the way Valve or even Blizzard does. Steam is a way to discriminate Gamers. (Placebo please dont censore this !)

I payed for my OFP , playing OFP without CD inside (thanks for BETA 1.96) my PC is very comfortable for me because of no spinning up DVD-Drive every loading procedure.

Thats what i wish ... and i will pay another 50Eur for OFP2 , hope it will be awesome like OFP was & still is !

Sorry about my english , hoping it is understandable.

Hellwig   blues.gif

3.6ghz p4's? pfft check out my friend's specs

Computer Specs:

-2 Opteron 250s @ 2.4ghz each

-DK8N motherboard with Nforce 3 250 pro chipset

-2GB of Corsair XMS CAS 2 Low Latency REG/ECC TwinX1024RE-3200LL

-2 WD Raptors 10K RPM 74gig on a RAID 0

-1 300GB Maxtor Harddrive

-ThermalRight XP-120 heatsinks with 120mm fans

-SPARKLE 550W PSU

-Lite-on DVD-RW SOHW-1633S

Windows is fully NUMA aware running Windows XP 32bit with SP2

and a big woopi doo for him then....

voted for a small application since i see no harm in it. If i've trusted BIS enough to install their game, their countless patches and addon packs, i cant see why that should suddenly change with a small program that reads my specs... (unless you have some disgruntled employee right now cooking up an uber virus - lol)

What's the latest news on this? When will the porgram/survey be released?

Everyone say they have a P100 with 16 megs of RAM, 30 MB HDD and a SB16. GFX Card is some dodgy 512k on board card.

tounge_o.gif

Seriously I think a online tracker is the best bet or a system that askes the user if they wish to send the information the program has gathered.

I know BIS have nothing but good intentions but I am very skeptical of anything that collects personal information (even if it's just computer specs) via a program which connects to a server without the permission of the user.