Sign in to follow this  

Ask a mod

Am I correct that the "Advanced member" used to be awarded automatically at some stage, but is now no longer active?

Am I correct that the "Advanced member" used to be awarded automatically at some stage, but is now no longer active?

400 posts: member

800 : advanced member

1500: OF Fan

4000: OF Maniac

So is OF Fan and OF Maniac going to be changed to ArmA Fan and Arma Maniac?

Updated smile_o.gif

1500: Arma/OFP Fan

4000: Arma/OFP Maniac

10000: I have too much spare time

Hello Shadow,

You know how OFP had a "ModMaker" group? what about making an "ArmA ModMaker" or "ArmA Dev" group for us ArmA modding guys? smile_o.gif

1500: Arma/OFP Fan

4000: Arma/OFP Maniac

10000: I have too much spare time

If the person don't like the titles, and he would like to avoid them/be without them, should he 'ask a Mod' about it when the time comes?

what about making an "ArmA ModMaker" or "ArmA Dev" group for us ArmA modding guys?  smile_o.gif

That will be decided when/if the time comes.

Quote[/b] ]If the person don't like the titles, and he would like to avoid them/be without them, should he 'ask a Mod' about it when the time comes?

That person should PM a moderator.

A proposal concerning custom titles, publicly visible post count and the "group" level.

Get rid of them completely.

Implement a rating system where registered users can give either positive or negative points to other users depending on how they see fit. The points should be given per-post and with a limit of one vote from one user towards each post by other users.

Then you only receive a "higher status" in the forums from how others rated your actions in the forums, not by the quantity of posts you made and not by arbitrarily chosen custom titles. The publicly visible "group" level could be left for moderators and BIS staff, their "moderator" or "BIS staff" status must be shown, in addition to their rating.

Do this if you want to raise the quality of your forums.

Additionally, delete the "Joined date" field so that it is only in the profile view.

No such changes will be done with the current board. We'll see what kind of possibilities present itself with a new/upgraded board, but we'll decide that then and there when its available.

Do this if you want to raise the quality of your forums.

Alternatively, we could just build a time machine and go back to 2001-2003.

Implement a rating system where registered users can give either positive or negative points to other users depending on how they see fit. The points should be given per-post and with a limit of one vote from one user towards each post by other users.

Probably works in perfect world, probably not too well and long in OFP scene. I've seen that in one certain... let's say Nordic OFP site, people just used to vote negative because of certain person's personality - not the content of posts.

Similar behaviour (let's call it "hunting") is nowadays less often seen on this forum... If you know what I mean, if not then nevermind.

About post count and custom titles I have to agree with you. Useless überscheiße.

i gotta agree with the post number - it just encourages some real

spam answers and the prize of a new tag for every nth post is making it worse..

in order to start the ball rolling i am willing to sacrifice all my own post count and donate them to a charity of your choosing.

Quote[/b] ]§16) Keep avatars and signatures within forum regulations

# Total maximum signature size is 600x150 px (text and/or images combined). Total maximum image size is 100KB.

# Avatar filesize must not exceed 100KB.

# Signature and avatar must be quiet, no sounds may be played back in them by any means.

Does that mean we can have --- x 150 px images for signatures now aslong as they don't exceed 100kb of size??

# Total maximum signature size is 600x150 px (text and/or images combined). Total maximum image size is 100KB.

# Signature and avatar must be quiet, no sounds may be played back in them by any means.

Does that mean we can have --- x 150 px images for signatures now aslong as they don't exceed 100kb of size??

Yes, it does. smile_o.gif

In that case:

The post here (and it's content) does not violate the rules anymore;

Regards

wex-q

smile_o.gif

These topics should be updated.

Done (unpinned) smile_o.gif

Just keep in mind, if you have a 600x150 image in your signature there is no room for additional text.

These topics should be updated.

Done (unpinned) smile_o.gif

Just keep in mind, if you have a 600x150 image in your signature there is no room for additional text.

Don't forget there are other ones as well wink_o.gif

Unpinned all "forgotten" forum rules threads.

I know that we have something similar here,but can a WL rules be modified/improved to be similar to this:

1.)User would start with 0% warning level

2.)In a user's post, a moderator and above can choose to raise it by a specified %, depending on the offense. You could have preset percentages (set through the Admin CP), and there would also be a custom percentage one for special cases.

3.)In the Warning Level screen, there would also be "Moderator Notes" for moderators and above to write notes about the specific user (only to be shown to moderators). On that page would have the list of the preset warnings, and also a choice for custom. The moderator could also leave a message explaining what the user did wrong. When the Warning is added, the user who recieved the Warning Level would automatically get a PM or Email - the moderator can choose which when giving the WL, or the Admin can in the Admin CP to do PM, Email, or Mod's Choice, and for Mod's Choice, you could set which would be selected on default - PM or Email.

4.)When a user reaches 50%, they are sent either a PM, Email, or Both (choice in Admin CP), warning them that they are at 50%. When a user's WL is at 80%, they will recieve another PM, Email, or Both (once again, chosen in Admin CP), telling them that it is at 80%. When the WL reaches 90% or higher (not 100%), they will recieve another PM, Email, or Both, warning them that they have little time left.

5.)When the user reaches 100%, they are automatically Banned (automatic ban length can be chosen in Admin CP). The Admin would then have to go through a list in the Admin CP that shows all users who reached 100% WL. The Admin would be able to click on the users name, and it will show all of that user's Warning Level reasons (it will show the preset on that was chosen, and if custom, it will provide the specification of that WL and the %). It will also show the message the moderator left for the user when the user got the WL, and also the User notes. Then the Admin can choose to unban, lower WL, or set a different ban length.

6.)If moderators notice that a user is getting better, they can also remove the WL from the user's account, and the user will get a message telling them that their WL was lowered and the message the Moderator left for the user, explaining why the WL was lowered.

Thx for answering. wink_o.gif

I'm not totally up to date regarding Ikonboard, but most of your ideas would most likely require reworking of the software beyond just choosing standard options.

I don't think any of the moderators is that experienced in coding software... confused_o.gif

iB mods (aka hacks) then?

There is plenty of sites that have mods/hacks for endless of functions.

Maybe, but:

-Everything you add to software makes for more opportunity for people looking to disrupt it (hackers/crackers);

-May cause errors;

-Slow the forum down;

-Put a larger strain on the bandwidth/server-rental cost.

Also what VictorTroska suggested would more than likely need a large investment of time by the people operating/maintaining this system (those unfortunate souls we refer to as "Moderators").

All good ideas, Victor but none of us have the time to make such a change which would involve installing 3rd-part hacks which we try to keep to a minimum. Reason is [see JdB's post above].

Nothing will be changed in the current forum anyways. Too many internal errors right now, its not safe to attempt something like this.

There are plans for either a newly installed Ikonboard (latest version) or a different forum. Things are very hectic at BIS' so dont expect anything very soon. smile_o.gif