Sign in to follow this  
bn880

Graphics engine improvement

If I just see an optimized engine with capability for rich and dense foliage I'll be happy. I want to see a good jungle environment, or a good dense forest.

I'd also like some dense forests, similar to the Trees of Pangaea environment. (15000 trees and smooth framerate on a mid-end system)

That'd be just perfect for Ofp2 in my eyes  smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I also think it would be nice to have access to rudimentary shaders at the mod level, that could enhance the ability of mod-makers to create vintage film, NVG, thermal, flashbang, nuclear flashpoint, and other rendering effects beyond the limits of the particle and overlay system currently available.

Hear hear...

Maybe even at mission editing level... (??)

Some saturation stuff would be quite nice so you could make that Band of Brothers/Saving Private Ryan coloring in your cut scenes, maybe to the whole mission...

Not to mention camera shutter speed etc camera effects...

i dont think they should try and change or make the graphics look anybetter maybe just make things abit more round and shadows abit more neater. Because i think the graphics for ofp is a very large part of what makes this game great. If you went and made it some of the best graphics up to date at the moment i dont think the game would feel as good as it does now

Hello BI team.

Unfortunately I must communicate you that you are on the wrong path if you thinks the graphics would be not importantly.

Its very important !

The graphic is just as important as everything else. It must at least to the "Enemy in Sight" or "S.T.A.L.K.E.R" near-rich. wink_o.gif

Greetings

Chaos

i dont think they should try and change or make the graphics look anybetter maybe just make things abit more round and shadows abit more neater. Because i think the graphics for ofp is a very large part of what makes this game great. If you went and made it some of the best graphics up to date at the moment i dont think the game would feel as good as it does now

Don't confuse good graphics with poor graphics. Many modern games actually have very poor graphics as everything is overly shaded and round... looks like, what FADE should do. smile_o.gif

They can improve the graphics a lot, and still keep the realistic, non-faded look.

Don't confuse good graphics with poor graphics.  Many modern games actually have very poor graphics as everything is overly shaded and round... looks like, what FADE should do.  smile_o.gif

They can improve the graphics a lot, and still keep the realistic, non-faded look.

That`s right...

Just look at Doom3, quite revolutionary graphics....

but without shaders...yhhhh it looks almost like

]:->doom(1)]:->

ok you might not of understood what i mean i mean the graphics shouuldnt look to neat and tidy

Sure, that's really an artform, to make nice graphics but not fake ones. Also often it costs more vertices to simulate uneven "stuff".

I'm curious personally as to how much OFP2 will be improved in the graphicsdepartment. smile_o.gif

I'm curious personally as to how much OFP2 will be improved in the graphicsdepartment.   smile_o.gif

Your not the only one bn880 , i guarentee you that biggrin_o.gif .

Far Cry, Doom3, Joint Operations, etc all have good graphics... but not good enough for OPF2, i dont want squary models and bumped low rez textures, no thanks id rather have some of those photo realistic looking addons from OPF.

Lets be realistic, lighting, shadows and shadders dont make up for squary objects, vehicals, weapons, etc.

I played Far Cry at 1280x1024/high detail, pretty i admit but honestly i didnt really like it, give me "round" models and sharp textures anyday.

Now i hope to see better looking shadows, increased poly counts and image quality, some DX9 efects like vehical exaust heat efects, vapor and explosions but for the rest i dont really expect miracles, we have all seen VBS1 footage, now lets hope they are able to improve the rest of the game acordingly (spl? crazy_o.gif ).

BTW anyone played Splinter Cell - Chaos Theory?

If you look at Sam Fishers model you'll notice that his biceps look rectangular in contrast to his face and fists which have excessive amounts of polys,shaders,bump mapping etc.

Hi BI Team !

New suggestions from me:

- different sizes for people (fat, normal, slim, big, middle, short)

- removable backpacks and removable silencers/magazines from weapons

- face camos

- better face editor for mp AND sp

- Using of custom Faces in SP WITHOUT addon

- changable (manually and automatic) number codes on tanks or aircrafts (see RHS idea for this)

- better performance for islands (see Tonal or Gaia performance with 6 and more Tank Platoons or groups)

- better weather (wind, snow, rain)

- realistic rivers

- terraforming for bomb craters, trenches etc.

- better AirCraft possiblity

- more working Airfields on one Island

- personal Dammage System (look CRDS-P from me in ofpec.com scripts/misc) ;)

Plz find possiblity to use the ofp2 name. The new name "Armed Assault" is not good for identification. You can write "OFP" and anybody knows what it is. When you wrote "AA" any thinks its "Americas Army" or others. Letz the tradition not die !

Removeable silencers should ony be the beginning, if I were to create a game like ofp2 I would simulate all the equipment available for soldiers today.

My idea is that you see a loadout screen before the mission where you have different specialized slots, each slot should be a pouch on your webbing.

Some pouches like a buttpack could carry any gear but the location of it would make an equipment swap take longer time since the location of the pack is abit awkward, some pouches could only carry one type of gear, magazines for instance.

And some could be easy to reach general pouches which would make a sight swap relatively fast.

All weapon equipment takes some room and you can add pouches but every pouch limits your movement adn every piece of equipment adds weight and slows you down a bit.

In SF for instance you would be able to use mounting rings from GG&G which sports quickrelease levers.

So a soldier could carry a number of sights for different situations and even mount these sight anywhere on the gun.

For instance you would be able to use a PVS14 nightvision tube in front of a M68 Aimpoint sight or even an eotech 552.

The sights should be fully simulated of course.

Things like the m203 would not be as easy to detach but it should be possible, even though it wold take somewhere around 30 secs assuming a RIS/RAS is used.

and carrying the m203 on you would require a backpack or similiar.

If a RIS/RAS isn't used the launcher should be static of course.

All this is just my little wet dream though. biggrin_o.gif

Only a small detail, i saw on few screens that some soldiers had an "robotic look" ... their eyes are looking at something without emotion ... Need to make their look more alive

only a detail, but it can improve realism/etc

edit : and an action, a jump button or an action to get over a wall / a fence can be cool, because when a soldier stay blocked in front of a fence of 50 cm it's a bit .... rock.gif lol

And on the screens, the way to hang the weapon (maybe a diferent anim for each weapon will be cool)

I noticed in this picture that the shadows look pretty much the same as Ofp1's, which were particularily bad for one reason: they were too sharp, too clean. In my opinion they should have a slight 'blur' around the edges (like in this pic.)

Just a little suggestion of mine.

I noticed in this picture that the shadows look pretty much the same as Ofp1's, which were particularily bad for one reason: they were too sharp, too clean. In my opinion they should have a slight 'blur' around the edges (like in this pic.)

Yeah, it looks a bit like Doom III in the shadow department. I would like to see varying degrees of sharpness in the shadows depending on the weather. This isn't as arduous as it first sounds since we already have the most difficult shadows - the sharp projected ones.

On very overcast days there would only be a blurred shadow directly underneath an object when it was close to the ground. On stormy days you wouldn't even need to bother.

It would be great to see a shadow dynamically blur as a cloud moves in front of the sun.

I am also concerned that the bumpmap lighting on the leaves (another pic) is pointing in the wrong direction. I worry about this since it took them a very long time to correct the landscape shading in the first game.

It would be very nice if the aircraft had better HUD and PIP capability, with the ability to alter or script different HUDs. I feel the PIP is very necessary though.

Multiple camera panes in the view, with the ability to use dialog boxes on an active 1st person view (being able to move and shoot in between making selections..

Thanks BIS!

Hi, i don't know if this the place to sugest this or don't... but i gonna say it here; if the OFP2, the Armed Assault, both or whatever gonna be based on a theorical year 2010, i think that IR goggles, Vehicle commander optics & gunner optics will be very very necessary. And if it gonna have... destroyable buildings like we seen in that VBS1 new expansion pack... will add much more realism to be able of use IR optic systems to detect units behind some covers; not only that... the IR could let use use the ICIS (= Individual Combat Identification Systems) that will expand the range of possibilityes in MP like in SP and i ever missed a M82A3 or a Remington M40A3 with IR scope, or DAMN... that Starlight scope that've been with us from the days of the Nam war. Anyway, i think that that'll be necessary in a OFP2/Armed Assault or whatever (i gonna buy both) and i'll like to see that; there's no way of make that for the OFP®, a fella & i checked it out & there's no damn way that we'd found. Let's cu

I think the different meanings about NEW as in newest games and OLD graphics as in OFP1 doesnt see one thing.

1. OFP1 graphic is old but it is realistic cause of low contrast.

2. NEWest games use better graphics BUT they use too much contrast, too rich colours, what makes it unrealistic. But much more attractive to arcadish 12 year olds. No offence, they are just the biggest group of consumers in game industry. But the majority of OFP community are not from that group, because we love realism. And in my opinion BIS should use all the possibilities in new rendering possibilities, but remember of realism in all of its varieties.

Really?

I find quite the opposite, almost all new FPS titles have had low contrast, faded graphics, wrong tint, overall a disaster. Okay so some may have high contrast, rather actually high shine!

Check this out, see if you know what I mean:

http://xs3.xs.to/pics/04472/rocks.jpg

OFP2 screenies so far: between the Farcry and Normal example rocks ;p Bring it a bit closer to Normal, and it's gold. tounge_o.gif

(Thanks Killswitch for finding that image wink_o.gif )

I really wanna see SpeedTree RT in Flashpoint 2, actually I want to see SpeedTree RT in most of all games.

If you look at the forests VBS1 and OFP has you know what I mean.

The LOD is simply to low both in models as in textures...

Working laser on your M4 or pistol maybe a PEQ 2 !! and for the laser, when u aim threw smoke, u see the lil red ray ,would be great, the lil red point on a wall and u know that the enemy can see it, so don't turn it on when patrols are near smile_o.gif

What I would like to see improved in the graphics engine, is smashing glass. The windows in OFP1 looked and sounded plastic when shot at, so what i'd like to see is, an eastern grunt in a window, with me hiding in a bush, he sees me, i shoot at the window, the bullets get him, but leave shards of glass sticking out of his skin. lol

Hauk

I'd just love some glass icon_rolleyes.gif

bn880, nice and true comparison. Just loved the Doom3 one biggrin_o.gif

I think the contrast is very true in OFP1. But from the pictures of OFP2, it doesn't look so good. More like Farcry.

Yeah, it looks a bit like Doom III in the shadow department. I would like to see varying degrees of sharpness in the shadows depending on the weather. This isn't as arduous as it first sounds since we already have the most difficult shadows - the sharp projected ones.

(...)

It would be great to see a shadow dynamically blur as a cloud moves in front of the sun.

the correct term for this is softshadowing.

A problem, however, is that these shadows require double the ammount of data, making it only suitable when there aren't more then 10 units on the map at thesame time. to have this in a game designed to handle hundreds of units, buildings, and objects on-screen at thesame time! crazy_o.gif

It's an okay suggestion, but the more I read the more I am thinking people are asking for the impossible (Suma, pull this off and i'll arrange your next generation tounge2.gif ). I understand everybody has a dream... but there are limits to what hardware can do...

However, an option to enable / disable it would ofcourse be welcome smile_o.giftounge2.gif .